PDA

View Full Version : OUT but not open?

Unvoix
Apr 23rd, 2004, 10:19 PM
While awaiting Amelie's return to court action, I've browsed a few other forums dedicated to her. And I've noticed that many fans think it taboo to chat about her personal life. "LET HER HAVE HER PRIVACY!" they scream. Even the moderator on Amelie's official site is very protective/restrictive of any chatter centering on Amelie's personal life. I find this strange considering that Amelie was so open in ParisMatch last year and allowed a documentary to be shot featuring her (if anyone knows how to get a hold of this in the states, please let me know), not to mention her coming out at the '99 Aussie Open.

So, where do we draw the line? May we talk about those details of Amelie's life that she makes public? Or should we out of respect for her privacy only talk about "her game"?

Sonja
Apr 23rd, 2004, 10:33 PM
Amélie's wishes are being followed. She asked that her personal life not be talked about. Once Amélie decides to make those details known, they're common knowledge and can be discussed.

I don't see the problem with respecting her wishes.

If the moderator doesn't follow Amélie's wishes, then she's out of a job. Simple as that.

Linnie
Apr 24th, 2004, 01:09 AM
Amélie's wishes are being followed. She asked that her personal life not be talked about. Once Amélie decides to make those details known, they're common knowledge and can be discussed.

I don't see the problem with respecting her wishes.

If the moderator doesn't follow Amélie's wishes, then she's out of a job. Simple as that.Agree 100%

Unvoix
Apr 24th, 2004, 01:18 AM

So, do you think that it is okay then to talk about Pascale (or other amies) since she discussed this relationship in ParisMatch? I ask because this is one of the main 'private' subjects that people are getting all upset about. :confused:

BTW, I think that the moderator on Amelie's site is doing a great job. Very kind considerate person too.

Mariangelina
Apr 24th, 2004, 02:45 AM
Although I can understand people like gossip (sometimes I do, I'm ashamed to say) I think you have to be careful what you say on somebody's official site. If you visited my house and started talking about my cup size or my sex life (or lack thereof for both) it would be irritating, to say the least. But I don't know why people seem so wary of talking about Pascale. If Amélie tells all of France in Paris Match about how Pascale's changed her life, and even speculates about having a family with her, I think we can talk about Pascale- to a certain extent. It becomes obnoxious after that. After all the media-furor when she was with Sylvie Bourdon and almost nothing in her life being private, I can definitely see how Amélie wants some space. There's no need to be draconian and close a lot of threads, but people need to remember about respect- just because someone's famous doesn't mean she's not human.

Sonja
Apr 24th, 2004, 03:18 AM
I agree with Mariangelina. It's only human to be curious. But like she said, one needs to be careful of what is discussed and how and especially in Amélie's own house.

She opened up about Sylvie and then everything became a media circus and it seemed as though EVERYTHING but her tennis was discussed. She decided she didn't want to share so much of her life after that and I can relate and respect her decision.

And yes I agree with you unvoix, loulou is a fantastic person and puts a lot of effort into moderating the site.

Linnie
Apr 24th, 2004, 03:31 AM
Well said Mariangelina and Sonja :)

Unvoix
Apr 24th, 2004, 04:33 AM
I appreciate everyone's thoughts. I guess I've felt a little guilty in my curiousity about Amelie's personal life. She's just so fascinating I can't put my psychology degree on the shelf. One minute she's "telling all", the next she doesn't want anyone to talk about her personal life. It has to be difficult to be in her place. You want everyone to be happy for you, accept you, cheer you on, but not pry too far or look too close. I know I'd hate it. I'd hate it if half a million (or more) people were speculating about who I was sleeping with or where I went on vacation or, heck, posting pix of my crotch on the internet. Amelie is a person, a very complex person, I'm starting to see, not just a tennis player or beautiful face on a tabloid. But it is hard to remember this when she is written about and photographed as if she were a goddess.

Which I am sure some on this forum would swear she is with her own planet called Momo. ;)

cro-girl
Apr 28th, 2004, 09:12 AM
Although I can understand people like gossip (sometimes I do, I'm ashamed to say) I think you have to be careful what you say on somebody's official site. If you visited my house and started talking about my cup size or my sex life (or lack thereof for both) it would be irritating, to say the least. But I don't know why people seem so wary of talking about Pascale. If Amélie tells all of France in Paris Match about how Pascale's changed her life, and even speculates about having a family with her, I think we can talk about Pascale- to a certain extent. It becomes obnoxious after that. After all the media-furor when she was with Sylvie Bourdon and almost nothing in her life being private, I can definitely see how Amélie wants some space. There's no need to be draconian and close a lot of threads, but people need to remember about respect- just because someone's famous doesn't mean she's not human.Very nicely said. I also like to read a gossip every once in a while, and I'm ashamed when I catch myself gossiping, but I think that's a part of human nature.
I think she gave it a shot with Sylvie, and after realizing what kind of circus her personal life has created, she's decided not to do it again. Everyone loves their own privacy, I know I do, and loosing it the way Momo lost it back in 1999 must really be hard. I'm noone famous myself, but I hate when I get the strange looks on the street while holding my girl...I can only imagine how she felt.
Honestly...I'm glad she's decided not to talk about her private life that much. Now it's easier to folow her game, and to see that she is a fab player and that she would have become this famous after Australian Open 1999 with or without her personal life out in the open.

mauresmofan
Apr 28th, 2004, 12:21 PM
I guess for Amélie it's a case of "you live you learn". She was completely honest in 1999 and it became a circus, she never wanted that. She seems very content and happy in her private life and it shows on court.

ToeTag
May 5th, 2004, 03:38 AM
:rolleyes: So lets see if I have this right?Momo,does the topless interview where she talks openly about her personal life...but on her own site if someone starts a thread about her "personal life" its a no no?Sorry,but if thats the case,I find that veeeeeeeeery hypocritical,and rather stupid!I'm not saying she doesn't have the right to "moderate" what is said about her on her own site,but I'm sure alot of the topics are harmless.

Heres a suggestion:if she doesn't want ppl yapping about her personal life than DON'T drag it out of the closet when it suits her.Imo,one can't do interviews,and be very open about her personal life,and then turn around and be very militant about what ppl say on a MB.

Either put up or shut-up.

suzie
May 5th, 2004, 10:07 AM
Heres a suggestion:if she doesn't want ppl yapping about her personal life than DON'T drag it out of the closet when it suits her.Imo,one can't do interviews,and be very open about her personal life,and then turn around and be very militant about what ppl say on a MB.

Either put up or shut-up.

Life is not black or white! there is also grey…

Fan’s curiosity is a normal thing but limits must be clear for everyone. If Amélie decides to talk about her private life it’s her choice but doesn’t allow people to discuss and speculate endlessly! Public figures may not have privacy (it’s taken from them all the time) but they sure have the right to intimacy (as we all have)! A good principal could be the old one: “would I like people to discuss these subjects about my life?” and if the answer is NO…

Forums have rules and moderators do their (hard!) job according to that and to their own conscience. Members should accept and respect that!

@Loulou :hug:

ToeTag
May 5th, 2004, 03:15 PM
Public figures may not have privacy (it’s taken from them all the time) but they sure have the right to intimacy (as we all have)! A good principal could be the old one: “would I like people to discuss these subjects about my life?” and if the answer is NO Hmmm."public figures" are often their own worst enemy!They don't mind sharing the personal details of their lives when the publicity from it furthers their careers,but they don't like it when "fans" take that info and run with it.Kinda hypocritical,IMO.

Like I said,put up with fans talking OR shut-up about the most intimate details of her life!To me when she gives interviews in mags,and discusses personal details she is just egging on fans gossip. :rolleyes:

mauresmofan
May 5th, 2004, 04:23 PM
I don't think coming out of the closet furthered Amélies career. She has furthered her career by playing great tennis - you don't become World no.3 by saying "I'm a Lesbian". She also has a right to enforce rules on her own site, if people want to discuss her private life then let them do it amongst themselves or on another site. That's my standpoint on the arguement!

ToeTag
May 5th, 2004, 04:42 PM
I don't think coming out of the closet furthered Amélies career. She has furthered her career by playing great tennis - you don't become World no.3 by saying "I'm a Lesbian". She also has a right to enforce rules on her own site, if people want to discuss her private life then let them do it amongst themselves or on another site. That's my standpoint on the arguement!
No,thats not what I meant.I was generalizing about "public figures".Of coarse saying:"i'm a lesbian" didn't vault her to #3.I meant in terms of notoriaty[sp].I just think she talks too much about her life in interviews to be picky about who else talks about it. :o

Sonja
May 5th, 2004, 09:40 PM
Once in 1999 (where she learned her lesson) and again a few snippets in a magazine last year in a much different more subdued way. After she spoke about it in the magazine it was "fair game"...

I think she's been extremely careful after 1999.

*JR*
May 6th, 2004, 01:07 AM
First, to sqawk box: sorry, but ppl Amelie's Age normally have love interests. So your esentially "then She Should have just stayed in the closet" solution would have made her "live a lie" about boyfriends, or Stay Silent and invite a "whispering campaign" as Martina I once did.

Sonja, that's why IMO you're wrong for calling the '99 interview a mistake. "Anonymity was not an option". And re. Momo's wishes, I don't know How Her late father reacted to her comimg out. But her mother was a bitch. Had that been who recently died, I'd have posted The Truth "in context" (not separately) re. Amelie's dealing with it.

Sonja
May 6th, 2004, 11:17 AM
jr I didn't say it was a mistake. I said she learned her lesson, meaning she wanted the spotlight to be on her tennis (rightfully so), not her love life (which the media concentrated on more than anything else). She learned an important lesson about the media and has done things a bit differently since. I respect her decision and don't blame her for wanting to keep her private life private, as she's in the public eye all the time and EVERYTHING she does is noted. ;)

ToeTag
May 6th, 2004, 08:13 PM
JollyRoger Quote First, to sqawk box: sorry, but ppl Amelie's Age normally have love interests. So your esentially "then She Should have just stayed in the closet" solution would have made her "live a lie" about boyfriends, or Stay Silent and invite a "whispering campaign" as Martina I once did.

:confused: HUH?When did I say she should have stayed in the closet?I didn't!My point was,and I thought i was very clear,if she doesn't mind talking about her personal life in interviews...IMO,she shouldn't be sooo uptight about ppl discussing it on MB's. Surely,ppl should be allowed to discuss at least whats' she has mentioned in interviews.

mauresmofan
May 6th, 2004, 09:19 PM
:zzz:This arguement is old and mouldy! I don't mean to speak for Sonja but I'm sure she has better things to do than argue where she stands on this topic by saying the same thing in a variety of different ways!

:hatoff: Good Day!

cro-girl
May 12th, 2004, 08:56 AM
:zzz:This arguement is old and mouldy! I don't mean to speak for Sonja but I'm sure she has better things to do than argue where she stands on this topic by saying the same thing in a variety of different ways!

:hatoff: Good Day!
Finally someone!!! :worship: Yeah, it ain't interesting any more. That thing was interesting back in '99. She did what she thought was best back in '99...maybe she should have done it, maybe not, but that's her choice. Who are wee to discus that? :yawn: Man, let's talk about something else. Great mach she played against Jenifer last week, wasn't it?? :clap2:
Please people, change a subject. :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

doby
May 12th, 2004, 02:02 PM
Finally someone!!! :worship: Yeah, it ain't interesting any more. That thing was interesting back in '99. She did what she thought was best back in '99...maybe she should have done it, maybe not, but that's her choice. Who are wee to discus that? :yawn: Man, let's talk about something else. Great mach she played against Jenifer last week, wasn't it?? :clap2:
Please people, change a subject. :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Well it just happens that this thread is about discussing her life.

she gives interviews in mags,and discusses personal details she is just egging on fans gossip. Agreed! Its' laughable when anyone spends a fair amount of time talking about their life,and than expects everyone else not to talk about it...the real world doesn't work that way! :o

Sonja
May 12th, 2004, 02:48 PM
Again, the point is she expects it to be private until AFTER she discusses it.

swiss
May 12th, 2004, 04:24 PM
right ;)

mauresmofan
May 12th, 2004, 06:05 PM
*Grabs Sonja by the hand and says 'come on lets get outta this place'*

suzie
May 12th, 2004, 08:20 PM
*Grabs Sonja by the hand and says 'come on lets get outta this place'*

...coz actually that's a lovely evening outside! ;)

doby
May 12th, 2004, 08:34 PM
Again, the point is she expects it to be private until AFTER she discusses it.
:rolleyes: Thats what I was talking about!

mauresmofan
May 12th, 2004, 08:40 PM
:rolleyes: Thats what I was talking about!:eek: Rolling eyes at Sonja can lead to the perpetrator being executed in some cultures!

doby
May 12th, 2004, 08:44 PM
:eek: Rolling eyes at Sonja can lead to the perpetrator being executed in some cultures!
:o Sorry Sonja!!

Sonja
May 13th, 2004, 02:00 AM
:o Sorry Sonja!!
*puts the gun back in her pocket and leaves the room hand in hand with m-fan* ;)