PDA

View Full Version : JEN AND SERENA here in Richmond, Va on 9/17/04!!

Mase
Apr 13th, 2004, 01:22 AM
:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

Six-time Grand Slam title winner Serena Williams will play an exhibition tennis match against comeback star Jennifer Capriati on Friday, Sept. 17, at the Alltel Pavilion at the Virginia Commonwealth University Siegel Center.

Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield is presenting the event as part of Anthem LIVE!, a fund-raising event to benefit VCU's Massey Cancer Center. The format of the match will be the best two out of three sets.

"Serena Williams and Jennifer Capriati are two of the biggest stars in the tennis world right now," Tom Snead, president of Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield, Southeast Region, said in a statement. "To have them come to Richmond on the heels of the Olympics and U.S. Open to help support the Massey Cancer Center and its fight against cancer is itself phenomenal. It shows these two women are superstars off the tennis courts as well as on."

One hundred percent of ticket proceeds will go to the Anthem Cancer Research Endowment Fund at Massey Cancer Center. Last year, Anthem LIVE! featured Jay Leno and raised more than $500,000 for the fund.

"Massey is honored to be the beneficiary of Anthem LIVE! and this celebration of life," Gordon D. Ginder, M.D., director of Massey Cancer Center, said in a statement. "Because of this kind of support from our community, Massey can attract some of the nationís leading physicians and scientists specializing in research and care. Our goal is to develop and deliver the best possible treatment and prevention available, and ultimately find the cure for cancer."

Williams received the 2003 Celebrity Role Model Award for her work with cancer awareness. After an eight-month layoff due to knee surgery, she won her third straight crown in an unprecedented 50 minutes at the WTA event in Key Biscayne, Fla., on April 3. She was ranked No. 1 among the 2003 Top 10 Most-Marketable Female Athletes by Sports Business Daily.

Capriati achieved fame in 1990 when, at the age of 14, she became the youngest player to be ranked in the Top 10. A year later, she was the youngest player to reach the semifinals at both Wimbledon and the U.S. Open. In 2002, Capriati received the ESPY award for Comeback Player of the Year and the U.S. Sports Academy Female Athlete of the Year award after winning the Australian Open Grand Slam title for the second consecutive year.

Both Williams and Capriati have won the Laureus Sports Award for Female Athlete of the Year in 2003 and 2002 respectively.

Tickets for Anthem LIVE! will go on sale to the public on Tuesday, April 20, and will be available through all TicketMaster outlets. Ticket prices will range from $15 to $100. In addition, box seats will be available by calling Massey Cancer Centerís development department at (804) 828-0034. The price of box seats for six is $2,500 and for eight is $3,000.

AjdeNate!
Apr 13th, 2004, 01:27 AM
:woohoo:

Serendy Willick
Apr 16th, 2004, 06:46 PM
Did one of these ladies relitives battle cancer or something? They both seem to do a lot of work with it.

tennisIlove09
Apr 24th, 2004, 04:09 AM
Jennifer is a good friend of Corina Morariu's. During their 2001 French Open quarter final, Jennifer actually walked around with a sign on TV that said "get well soon". In her victory speech after she won the title, she even mentioned Corina.

Mase
Jun 3rd, 2004, 11:27 PM
I order my tickets the other day, and can't wait!!!

AjdeNate!
Jun 4th, 2004, 12:55 AM
I order my tickets the other day, and can't wait!!!
Me either! :woohoo: :bounce:

Mase
Jun 4th, 2004, 03:01 AM
Another trip to the South for you!! :haha::bounce:

AjdeNate!
Jun 4th, 2004, 03:06 AM
Another trip to the South for you!! :haha::bounce:
:woohoo: Can't wait! Just 3 months and a week or so. :p
Can I please this time have that item I saw last time in the J Crew store? I promise I'll be a bad good boy. :devil:

Mase
Jun 4th, 2004, 03:29 AM
We;ll have to see if your willing to SHARE maybe we can talk.... :devil::haha:

AjdeNate!
Jun 4th, 2004, 03:42 AM
We;ll have to see if your willing to SHARE maybe we can talk.... :devil::haha:
For that.... even 2nd's would be A.O.K. in my book! :yeah:

mn73
Jun 19th, 2004, 12:43 PM
Both Jennifer's mother and brother have had cancer scares.

This is the best match-up on the tour at the moment, how great to get them playing together to raise money for charity.

mn73
Jun 19th, 2004, 12:44 PM
Plus I think both of these have too much pride to fix it so whoever wins the first set wins the match!!!

Rather than do that why don't exhibition matches have third set champions tiebreaks like the Eastbourne Cup did?

AjdeNate!
Jun 19th, 2004, 12:52 PM
I can't wait... <3 months!!!

Mase
Jul 6th, 2004, 01:31 AM
Its getting closer!!!! :drool::drool:

AjdeNate!
Jul 13th, 2004, 01:42 PM
2months4days

Mase
Jul 25th, 2004, 11:57 PM
Less than 2 months away!!!!!

AjdeNate!
Aug 5th, 2004, 12:42 PM
Like oh my god, 41 days. :p

Mase
Aug 6th, 2004, 11:56 PM
Like how awesome! THAT's HOT!!! :haha:

AjdeNate!
Aug 7th, 2004, 12:02 AM
Loves it!

AjdeNate!
Aug 19th, 2004, 06:17 AM
soon

Mase
Aug 19th, 2004, 09:50 PM
3 weeks exactly!! And to think its almost an AFTERTHOUGHT to us! :haha::kiss:

Geisha
Aug 20th, 2004, 06:54 PM
Cool...Loves Serena's outfits and thinks Jen's hott!!! Woohoo!!

Mase
Aug 31st, 2004, 04:51 AM
Its only 18 days away now!!!!! :drool::drool:

AjdeNate!
Aug 31st, 2004, 04:57 AM
:bounce:

AjdeNate!
Sep 3rd, 2004, 02:52 PM
Special undercard match:
Alex Stevenson vs. Meghann Shaughnessy

:tape: :o

Mase
Sep 3rd, 2004, 03:06 PM
Now I'M VERY GLAD I got tickets.... I get to see Alex!!! :tape::tape::haha:

CooCooCachoo
Sep 5th, 2004, 09:13 AM
:lol:

AjdeNate!
Sep 8th, 2004, 05:11 AM
This will be the US Open Drama re-match.... and I'll be there. :tape:

Mase
Sep 8th, 2004, 05:14 AM
This will be the US Open Drama re-match.... and I'll be there. :tape:
http://wtaworld.com/images/smilies/drool.gifhttp://wtaworld.com/images/smilies/drool.gifhttp://wtaworld.com/images/smilies/drool.gif

AjdeNate!
Sep 10th, 2004, 03:38 PM
:woohoo:

AjdeNate!
Sep 11th, 2004, 12:37 PM
Gettin' closer!!!

AjdeNate!
Sep 11th, 2004, 12:46 PM
http://www.richmond.com/output.cfm?id=3066753&vertical=Main

Richmond native Meghann Shaugnessy will face off against Alexandra Stevenson before the Serena Williams-Jennifer Capriati match for Anthem LIVE! to benefit VCU's Massey Cancer Center on Friday, September 17 at the Alltel Pavilion at the VCU Siegel Center.

Shaughnessy is currently ranked no. 37 by the Women's Tennis Association in singles and no. 10 in doubles behind Martina Navratilova.

Stevenson became the first woman qualifier to reach the semifinals at Wimbledon in 1999 and was named People Magazine's Newcomer of 2000. The format for the Shaugnessy-Stevenson opener will be a pro set, consisting of eight games.

Tickets range from $15 to $100 and can be purchased at the VCU Box Office (804) 828-7267.

One hundred percent of proceeds will go to the Anthem Cancer Research Endowment Fund at Massey Cancer Center.

Mase
Sep 13th, 2004, 03:46 PM
Only 4 more days!! 3 till your here, I cant wait!!!! :drool::bounce:

AjdeNate!
Sep 13th, 2004, 04:32 PM
:bounce: I'm ready to be there!!!!

AjdeNate!
Sep 14th, 2004, 06:59 AM
Sooooooooo soon!!!!!!!!!!

propi
Sep 14th, 2004, 07:06 AM
:lol: Hope you have a great match, guys, seeing posts here sure you will have some fun in there.
:kiss: :hug: :D

LauraJC
Sep 14th, 2004, 06:50 PM
Is there any website, when I can read the result of this match and, maybe, also some pics???
Thank you
C'mon Jenny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AjdeNate!
Sep 14th, 2004, 08:18 PM
I don't think they have scoring, but I'll be taking loads of pics. Mase and I will write a little review or something. ;)

Mase
Sep 14th, 2004, 11:52 PM
That we will! Go Cappy!!!!!!!!!

We'll be there in like 3 days from now EXACTLY!!!!!!

kes
Sep 17th, 2004, 10:57 AM
does anyone know what time the match is - and will there be any scorers???

thanks in advance. :)

AjdeNate!
Sep 17th, 2004, 04:06 PM
7pm Eastern time (well Stevenson / Shaughnessy is then in an 8-game proset). And Mase and I'll be texting scores to mrserenawilliams.

SJW
Sep 18th, 2004, 10:40 AM
well what was the score? :confused:

AjdeNate!
Sep 18th, 2004, 02:51 PM
SW d. JC 76 26 63

Mark43
Sep 30th, 2004, 03:33 AM
Any details? Was it hard fought? Seems like this thread is all build up and zero pay off.

Mase
Sep 30th, 2004, 04:40 AM
Dude the match was 2 weeks ago and there was a thread in GM.

Thanks.

tennisIlove09
Sep 30th, 2004, 07:24 AM
I love people that pay attention :rolleyes:

Mark43
Oct 1st, 2004, 03:40 AM
Thanks so much for all the info. I really appreciate it. Wonderful thread.

Mase
Oct 6th, 2004, 02:27 AM
Top women's tennis stars put on a show
S. Williams beats Capriati for charity at the Siegel Center

BY JOHN PACKETT
TIMES-DISPATCH STAFF WRITER
Sep 18, 2004

For all those who thought that either Serena Williams or Jennifer Capriati wouldn't make it to Richmond for last night's Anthem LIVE! Tennis Expo . . . well, they did.

Their fans got their first look at them yesterday during a luncheon at the Westwood Club, and for a fleeting moment, there was concern about Williams' presence.

After Capriati, Meghann Shaughnessy and Alexandra Stevenson the latter two served as the warmup act had been introduced and joined dignitaries on the dais, the lunch-goers began to wonder about Williams.

A few minutes later, however, the former No.1 player in the world made her entrance alone, waving to the crowd.

http://media.gatewayva.com/rtd/images/spacer.gif After helping teach inner-city kids at an afternoon clinic, Williams made her way to the Siegel Center for a 7-6 (7-3), 2-6, 6-3 exhibition victory over Capriati before a sellout crowd of 6,600.

"We just want to have fun and show Richmond that we can play some good tennis," Williams said. "It's for a really good cause, too."

The evening raised more than $350,000 for Virginia Commonwealth University's Massey Cancer Center, while the luncheon put in excess of $20,000 in the same coffers. Combined with proceeds from the Jay Leno show last year at the Siegel Center and seed money to begin the project, Anthem has contributed more than $1 million to cancer research the past two years.

Williams, almost 23, hit enough winners and forced Capriati, 28, into enough mistakes to earn the win. Williams also delivered 16 aces.

This was a rematch of their controversial U.S. Open quarterfinal, which Capriati pulled out 2-6, 6-4, 6-4. Several line calls went against Williams in that match, including one overrule on an obviously correct call by a linesman by Portugese chair umpire Mariana Alves.

Before the match, someone told Williams that Anthem was bringing in Alves for the evening. "Bad joke," Williams said, without smiling.

Since the two Americans have had some spirited and highly competitive matches in the past, it was probably no surprise that last night's meeting was close, even if many of the points didn't seem as hotly contested as usual.

"I think it's in our nature," Capriati said. "Once a competitor, always a competitor. I don't care where you're at. You always want to try to do the best you can do."

Williams has been playing with a sore left knee, the same one she had surgery on a little over a year ago and which forced her off the tour for eight months. Her sister, Venus, has been bugged by injuries, too, and the two of them have dropped out of the top 10.

Doctors, in fact, advised Williams not to play the U.S. Open but she decided to do it anyway.

"We've definitely had a tough year," Williams said of the injuries. "I just want to focus on getting my body stronger and making a big impact next year. I think myself and my sister both want to do that."

In the opening match, Shaughnessy defeated Stevenson 8-4 in an eight-game pro set that showed off the winner's ground strokes and Stevenson's inability to keep the ball in play.

Shaughnessy was celebrating the return to her hometown for the first time since she left when she was three months old. Her family moved to Arizona before she had a chance to pick up a racket in Richmond.

"It's nice to come back and see Richmond," said Shaughnessy, who is known more for her doubles these days than singles.

Mark43
Oct 6th, 2004, 04:07 AM
Thanks for the article!! I wish I could have seen this match.

Mase
Oct 8th, 2004, 03:06 AM
No problem, I tried to find what we typed up but I gave up, hahaha!