PDA

View Full Version : Monica: Will she play?

bwguy
Apr 12th, 2004, 03:40 PM
We know according to the items below that she has expressed interest, but hasn't formally requested a wildcard as of yet. Please post any updates here.

From the South Floriday Sun-Sentinel (March 31):
Seles targets May for comeback bid
By Charles Bricker and Harvey Fialkov

KEY BISCAYNE ∑ Her weight down and her spirits up, Monica Seles said Tuesday her plan to get back on tour following a one-year injury layoff will begin in Strasbourg, France (May 17-23), and then immediately to the French Open. But, she cautioned, everything depends on her fitness level. "If I'm not ready by the French Open, I'll keep working until I am," she said.

Seles, 30, hasn't played a match since losing to Nadia Petrova in the first round at Roland Garros in 2003. It's been a long time since she looked this slim, though she couldn't say how much weight she has lost.

"I never get on the scale," she said. But she went on to say that her doctor has told her if she wants to play tournament tennis again she must reduce the amount of weight on her left foot.

She has been practicing one and a half hours a day with her brother Zoltan. Seles said when she's hitting the ball better she might be ready for one of her favorite sparring mates, former ATP pro Jimmy Arias. The holder of nine Grand Slam titles, Seles probably won't get a 10th. But she wants to play because of her attachment to tennis.

"I love the purity of this game," said Seles, who has played Key Biscayne nine times with two titles (1990 and '91).

From the Strasbourg tournament website (under Presse - April 2):
(This is processed through a translation service so it's not particularly clear --sorry)

Seles wants to begin again Motiv√©es... and fid√®les since l'on will find five of the eight quarters of finalists of 2003 (Bartoli, Farina Elia, Karkleroad, Loit and Sprem). With ¬ "cut-off ¬" plac√© with the 61e world row (¬ "C'est better than l'an last ¬"), the YEWS is still mont√©s d'un notch with, √ this day, two girls of signal 10 world. And yesterday, in d√©but d'apr√®s-midday, a √©mail of the WTA arriv√© √ Strasbourg made √©tat wish of Monica Seles (224 WTA) play the YEWS. ¬"C'est √ to confirm in the next days but it would be incredible of l'avoir!¬"

Does anyone know the cut-off date for requesting a wildcard or when they will be announced?

rfs1999
Apr 12th, 2004, 07:00 PM
Go Monica!

LiliaLee-Frazier
Apr 14th, 2004, 09:26 PM
Crosses fingers that she will :D ;) :kiss: :bounce: :bounce:

Kart
Apr 19th, 2004, 12:33 AM
Come back Monica :hearts:

Daniel
Apr 19th, 2004, 02:37 PM
:bounce: :bounce: :yeah: Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :dance: :worship: :)

Jarrett
Apr 19th, 2004, 04:25 PM
According to the tournament director, Monica hasn't filed a wildcard request yet. But he also said that he would be very please to welcome Monica in the event.

rfs1999
Apr 19th, 2004, 09:23 PM
Go Monica!

Daniel
Apr 21st, 2004, 10:44 AM
GO !!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

jabauer
Apr 23rd, 2004, 12:13 PM
Not sure how good of shape she's in, but I did see her
when she was in Tampa and she looked almost sickly thin.

ktwtennis
Apr 25th, 2004, 06:30 PM
Not sure how good of shape she's in, but I did see her
when she was in Tampa and she looked almost sickly thin.How long ago was this? When and where did you see her?

Mase
Apr 26th, 2004, 02:50 PM
She was very thin... Thats from when I saw her in Richmond. I wouldnt say sickly but she had lost quite some weight.

R&J
Apr 26th, 2004, 04:51 PM
She was very thin... Thats from when I saw her in Richmond. I wouldnt say sickly but she had lost quite some weight.
:wavey: Definitely - she looked awesome in Virginia. Ronny and I had our hands around her waist in one of our pictures with her, and her waist was very small.
I sure hope that she can play this event, cause I am sure that she really wants to play the French. But I feel like if she isnt ready by this event, that she will skip the French and come back at WTT in July....just my opinion.

Jarrett
Apr 26th, 2004, 04:53 PM
R&J, that is VERY possible (about coming back at WTT) but I hope that is not the case. :( Well I guess her coming back at all would be a good thing.

R&J
Apr 26th, 2004, 04:59 PM
R&J, that is VERY possible (about coming back at WTT) but I hope that is not the case. :( Well I guess her coming back at all would be a good thing.
HI Jarrett :wavey: I love your avatar!
I also hope that she can come back to tennis here at the Strasbourg tournament - cause I really want her to be able to play the French Open.
But if she doesnt play this event, I sure hope that she doesnt start her first match back at the French! :eek:
So maybe she is planning ahead of time with WTT, just in case.

Daniel
Apr 28th, 2004, 09:01 AM
Come on!!!!!!

:worship: :bounce: :worship: :bounce: :) :clap2: :bigclap: :hug: :yeah:

ktwtennis
Apr 29th, 2004, 01:23 AM
With each day of no news it makes me more nervous that she won't be ready for the French!

rfs1999
Apr 29th, 2004, 04:07 AM
How long will they hold a wildcard for Monica?

smarties
May 8th, 2004, 08:52 PM
testing

Davenselesport
May 8th, 2004, 11:06 PM
When the French Open rolls around on May 24, it will be exactly a year since Seles last played a meaningful tennis match. After battling problems with her left foot much of the early part of 2003, the Sarasota resident shut down after losing in the first round at Roland Garros to Nadia Petrova.

It was the worst loss for Seles in 11 appearances at the French Open. She finished out of the top 10 for the first time -- not counting the time she spent away after being stabbed in 1993 -- since 1988.

After months of rehabilitating, Seles, 30, had hoped to play a couple tournaments in Europe to prepare for this year's French Open. That plan disintegrated recently when Seles experienced further discomfort in the foot while training in San Diego.

Instead of entering a tournament in either Strasbourg, France, or Madrid, Spain, Seles headed for New York to have her foot looked at again and undergo more rehab. She planned to make a brief stop in Sarasota this week, then head to Europe to get in some training on red clay.

While she still hopes to play the French Open, a tournament she won three straight years (1990-92), she will not be able gain tournament toughness before the two-week event.

"Definitely, by far, that will be the first tournament," Seles said about playing the French Open. "I want to play the French but I am taking it a day at a time. With this (injury) I am learning that. I have to chill out with it and not put so much stress on my schedule."

Seles is eager to get back, but she knows coming back before the foot is healed could lead to the end of her career. She has taken a long time in rehabilitation and she is in better shape than she has been in a long time. But there is no substitute for playing matches.

"I don't know myself," Seles said about being ready. "I am just trying to follow the doctor's advice and use my head. I am in unchartered territory with this."

That is true as far as her foot injury. But she does have the experience of coming back after a long layoff.

Seles missed 27 months after being stabbed by a deranged fan on April 30, 1993 during a tournament in Germany. In her first tournament after her return, Seles won the Canadian Open in August 1995. During that event, Seles set a tournament record for the fewest number of games lost by a champion (16) and beat Amana Coetzer 6-0, 6-1 in the most lopsided final in that tournament's history.

She was the only player to come off such an extended layoff to win her first event upon returning until Serena Williams did it last month at the Nasdaq-100 Open. This time Seles would be happy to get through a few matches.

"I am going to go to Europe, train a little bit and go from there," Seles said.