PDA

View Full Version : Which Russian players are the best professionals?

tenn_ace
Apr 11th, 2004, 11:46 PM
if you consider how well they designed their calendars, whether they work with the coach(es), trainer(s), parents involvment, etc (please add your criteria if necessary to explain your opinion). Name 3 (if you can)...

I would probably go for

1. Sveta (parents are not involved, well designed calendar, travelling coach)
2. Nastia (travelling coach, calendar ok, parents are not involved)
3. Maria S. (well designed calendar, travelling coach, parents (unfortunately) invoived too much)

what do you think?

goldenlox
Apr 11th, 2004, 11:54 PM
Definately Sveta and Nastya. I think there's a gap after them.
Maria has a wacky dad. And an agent who runs her around doing photoshoots.
Maybe Dinara.
I don't know enough about Nadia's situation, but she's so talented, that she is about to make millions.

goldenlox
Apr 12th, 2004, 12:03 AM
I don't know enough about either Vera. Some players don't get much media coverage.
I think if you have talent, it will show up, no matter how you schedule. Or who coaches you.

tenn_ace
Apr 12th, 2004, 12:08 AM
not necessarily true. Lena D. lost probably 2 years doing it with her mom as her coach.

Vera D. doesn't have a coach. (at least, not a travelling one)

Vera Z. has a coach.

I have forgotten about Nadia. It's a toss up between her and Maria S. What I don't like about Nadia professionalism is her calendar. it seems that she never learns from her mistakes. She is playing again for 6 straight weeks. In the last 5 she played both singles and doubles. Should we be surprised if she has an injury again?

goldenlox
Apr 12th, 2004, 12:28 AM
Nadia should be careful about her schedule. Sveta plays too much also. And Nastya played the most tournaments in 2002 and 2003.
She just started to go easy this year.

Epigone
Apr 12th, 2004, 12:45 AM
I think that Vera Z has a fairly good calendar, although she does sometimes play for long stretches at a time. Her clay calendar is fairly intensive because that is her most suited surface. She bypassed Tokyo, Paris and Antwerp in favour of Memphis :o , and Dubai and Doha in favour of Acapulco (from which she then withdrew citing injury). I guess such a schedule will reduce the chance of hardcourt injuries, but means that her ranking takes a bit of a battering because she isn't playing for big points.

Her coach is Julia Kashevarova, who proabably travels with her all of the time. At least I know for a fact that she was in Australia, and she was also at Memphis. I'm pretty sure that her mother live in Moscow, and I don't think that she travels with Vera.

Here is a pic of Vera and Julia from Sydney :)

TartarVicario
Apr 12th, 2004, 04:33 AM
I think Nastya :)

Epigone
Apr 12th, 2004, 04:58 AM
2. Nastia (travelling coach, calendar ok, parents are not involved)Does Nastya travel with her mother? The reason I ask is that I was staking out the practice courts in Sydney after she lost to Mauresmo and I saw Nastya and a woman walk past me to a grassy hill at the far end of the courts. They had a blanket with them and they sat on the blanket in the shade of some trees for at least 20 minutes. I guess it was Nastya's form of relaxation after losing. They looked close, so it must have been someone who travelled with her. Any ideas who it may have been? :o

VeraNuVirgosFan
Apr 12th, 2004, 05:03 AM
3. Maria S. (well designed calendar, travelling coach, parents (unfortunately) involved too much)
"parents (unfortunately) involved too much)" - Only Masha's father, Yuri.

tenn_ace
Apr 12th, 2004, 01:36 PM
"parents (unfortunately) involved too much)" - Only Masha's father, Yuri.

and it's more than enough...

vaiva
Apr 12th, 2004, 02:58 PM
if you consider how well they designed their calendars, whether they work with the coach(es), trainer(s), parents involvment, etc (please add your criteria if necessary to explain your opinion). Name 3 (if you can)...

I would probably go for

1. Sveta (parents are not involved, well designed calendar, travelling coach)
2. Nastia (travelling coach, calendar ok, parents are not involved)
3. Maria S. (well designed calendar, travelling coach, parents (unfortunately) invoived too much)

what do you think?

I would add 2 more criteria:

1. Willingness to address the problems (either mental or technical) which are impeding the player's progress. And for me, this is the essential criterion defining how professional a player really is.

2. Training regime and discipline, e.g., how hard they train, do they have a particular training regime designed for their specific needs, etc.

I would probably say:

1. Sveta (the reasons you named, plus the immediate withdrawl from tournaments as soon as she started to go deep into the draws)
2. Vera Z (although her growing waistline and continuing lapses of concentration make me doubt).

That's about it. I have to admit, I have no idea about Lena L or Tania P. Maybe their fans could say more.

Nastia - no improvements on 2nd serve. And she was playing too much last year and her decision to cut down on schedule because she wants to spend more time with her bf does not sound very professional :p

Elena D, no comments. So much time wasted under control of her mom. :o

Nadia - playing through injuries. Questionable schedule. :(

Dinara - maybe. Even though she has mom who actually IS competent in tennis, she has a coach. I thought her scheduling was excellent in recent years, which allowed her to have 2 titles already. On the other hand, don't see much improvement in her footwork and serve.

Maria S - she's not playing full schedule yet, so I'm not counting her.

Lena B, Lina K - not sure what's wrong with these girls at the moment.

the cat
Apr 12th, 2004, 04:20 PM
1) Maria Sharapova

2) Anastasia Myskina

3) Svetlana Kuzentsova

Well said, Vaiva. But I am including Maria Sharapova because IMG seems to have her career and schedule well planned. And Anastasia Myskina has reduced her schedule this year to avoid overplaying. That was a good move on her part. And I will include Svetlana Kuznetsova as well. When she starts to play too much tennis she will withdraw from an event so she can rest. And Sveta seems to relish training and getting better.

tenn_ace
Apr 12th, 2004, 04:36 PM
I would add 2 more criteria:

1. Willingness to address the problems (either mental or technical) which are impeding the player's progress. And for me, this is the essential criterion defining how professional a player really is.

2. Training regime and discipline, e.g., how hard they train, do they have a particular training regime designed for their specific needs, etc.

I would probably say:

1. Sveta (the reasons you named, plus the immediate withdrawl from tournaments as soon as she started to go deep into the draws)
2. Vera Z (although her growing waistline and continuing lapses of concentration make me doubt).

That's about it. I have to admit, I have no idea about Lena L or Tania P. Maybe their fans could say more.

Nastia - no improvements on 2nd serve. And she was playing too much last year and her decision to cut down on schedule because she wants to spend more time with her bf does not sound very professional :p

Elena D, no comments. So much time wasted under control of her mom. :o

Nadia - playing through injuries. Questionable schedule. :(

Dinara - maybe. Even though she has mom who actually IS competent in tennis, she has a coach. I thought her scheduling was excellent in recent years, which allowed her to have 2 titles already. On the other hand, don't see much improvement in her footwork and serve.

Maria S - she's not playing full schedule yet, so I'm not counting her.

Lena B, Lina K - not sure what's wrong with these girls at the moment.
GREAT POST! Some very good points there:bounce:

cool_olga
Apr 12th, 2004, 06:49 PM
Does Nastya travel with her mother? The reason I ask is that I was staking out the practice courts in Sydney after she lost to Mauresmo and I saw Nastya and a woman walk past me to a grassy hill at the far end of the courts. They had a blanket with them and they sat on the blanket in the shade of some trees for at least 20 minutes. I guess it was Nastya's form of relaxation after losing. They looked close, so it must have been someone who travelled with her. Any ideas who it may have been? Was it this woman? This is Nastya's mom:
http://http://www.anastasia-myskina.com/main/gallery/gallery2/nastya34.jpg

tenn_ace
Apr 12th, 2004, 07:13 PM
OLGA, link for some reason doesn't work...

Anik
Apr 12th, 2004, 08:34 PM
http://www.anastasia-myskina.com/main/gallery/gallery2/nastya34.jpg

tenn_ace
Apr 12th, 2004, 08:42 PM
thanks! she does look like her mom :D

cool_olga
Apr 13th, 2004, 12:18 PM
:) Sorry, wrote http twice...
Nastya's mom looks very nice, like Nastya :)

For Nadia...
I don't know enough about Nadia's situation, but she's so talented, that she is about to make millions.
Actually when she was young nobody thought she is talented. I don't know well her current situation but our polish guy T. Iwański found out Nadia and her talent. When she was little and was playing somewhere he saw her and thought she's the ability to be great. And Nadia had polish agent for some time and was living in Cracow. So she's close to our hearts :) Dunno her situation now but she's making some very good results currently

ALPHA
Apr 13th, 2004, 03:42 PM
no doubt, AnnaK ... for, erm, obvious reasons ... :devil:

tenn_ace
Apr 13th, 2004, 03:52 PM
no doubt, AnnaK ... for, erm, obvious reasons ... :devil:
hater :p ;)