PDA

View Full Version : Bausch and Lomb Satruday Report

PatM04
Apr 11th, 2004, 02:11 PM
Saturday was awesome! My friend and I got there around 11:15AM. There was nothing going on in the stadium so we decided to walk around. First we walked through some of the booths as we made our way to the grandstand. We noticed that the grandstand was sort of crowded so we made our way over. Who did we find practicing??? Lindsay! She looks GREAT! When we got there she was returning serve against Adam (her coach). She was hitting some great returns. Adam kept telling her that even on the ones she was missing it was the right idea to go for it on those particular returns. After that they worked on serves. I think I probably saw Lindsay hit 75-100 serves. The thing that was weord was that in practice she didn't miss but 2 serves in the net and the first serve of her match against Nadia she serves it into the net...lol:) After they finished working on serves she started to get her stuff together. All of the people in the stands flocked to where the exit of the court to see her. We walked over and Lindsay had basically be swarmed, but she was a good sport about it. She signed for everyone, including me :bounce: I told her thanks and good luck.

After her practice it was about time for Henin-Hardenne vs Mauresmo to start. We walked over just in time to see Justine and Amelie enter the court. Amelie looks a little bit skinnier than she used to and she also looks to be toned more. Something I did notice about Amelie was that she has a bigger rear end in person than on TV...lol:) The match was great! Justine seemed to be off from the begining though. She obviously wasn't playing great and Amelie was extremely focused. The lapse of concentration from Amelie came when she was serving for the set. She did however not seem to get too down. She only showed negative emotion twice throughout the whole match. I really thought Justine had the match locked up in the second set. When she missed the forehand return on match point there was a major groan from the crowd. Amelie then followed up with a clutch ace to give her the ad. After she won the next point she seemed to have a spark about her and you just knew that she would take this match. After she took the second set we went to get something to eat. While eating I walke past a practice court and saw Lina Krasnaroutskaya practicing. She was just hitting ground strokes...nothing really special. By the way, I payed $6.00 for a hot dog! The food prices are ridiculous. Anyways, after we ate we went back into the stadium to see Amelia up a break at 3-2. She held routinely to go up 4-2 and had points for 5-2 but Justine played some clutch tennis. In the next game Justine had some chances to break but she made errors on all of the big points leading to an Amelie hold. Henin-Hardenne seemed to fold in the next came giving away quick errors basically handing Amelie that game. Amelie seemes so excited so I was happy for her (even thought I was cheering for Justine).

Not long after Lindsay and Nadia made their way to the court. You could almost see in the warm up that Lindsay was not going to have a good day. She just didn't seem into it (totally different from practice). When the match started Nadia came out on fire...and Lindsay came out totally lost. Everytime Nadia threw in a big first serve it was obivous that the point was over because there was no way that she was going to let a short return from Lindsay get past her. Lindsay was negative from the start, talking to herself when she made errors, and dropping her racket a few times. The big game was obviously when Nadia broke for 4-2. In that game when Lindsay got down 15-40 the support from the crowd really started to show through. We all began to cheer her on and try to get her in it. She won the next point with a pinpoint backhand and the crowd went crazy. Unfortunately the next point she dumped a backhand into the net. Both held serve routinely to close out the first set. The next set began with the worst game I have seen from Lindsay in a while. She made to backhand errors into the net and a double fault gave Nadia the break. Nadia easily consolidated the break and was up 2-0. I really thought it was all over for Lindsay but I kept cheering for her anyway. She held for 1-2 and that was a huge relief for the crowd. As the set went on you could sense a tiny spark in Lindsay. When she got down 2-4 you didn't sense a spark but you saw it. Lindsay turned in one of her classic preformances of cracking winners from everywhere. It was obvious that Nadia was frustrated and her play dropped significantly. Lindsay took the set with a HUGE forehand down the line and a little bit of positive emotion to get herself and the crowd into it. In the third everything went smoothly for Davenport. Her confidence grew throughout the set and she hit some insanely awesome shots. One backahand winner that she hit was the best shot of the day in my opinion. In the final game, it was classic Davenport. She showed off her huge serve and closed it out with an ace and a fist pump to her coach and the crowd. She looked so happy! I'll be cheering for her today so listen for me screaming!

We watched the first set of the first doubles match it was pretty good. Alicia played well. Casanova hit some extremely crafty volley angles. Lina didn't play great but hit some forehand returns I couldn't belive. Vera Z didn't play well at all but she or Lina didn't seem to care. Overall it was a good match though.

The day as a whole was awesome. While there we saw Virginia Ruano Pascual walking around. Before their doubles match we saw Alicia and Myriam warming up. Also so Vera doing some conditioning on one of the back courts. When we were leaving we passed Maghann Shaughnessy and Nadia Petrova who were talking to Meghann's coach about the doubles match they would play. I guess the talk worked because they beat the number 1 team in the world...lol:) Anyways, I'll have a report of today's matches late tonight. Sorry this is late but we had a busy day yesterday.

ghosts
Apr 11th, 2004, 02:22 PM
Thanks! Always interesting to read such reports :drool:

kyk710
Apr 11th, 2004, 02:30 PM
Great report!