PDA

View Full Version : Why Is Martina Making A Comeback In Singles At This Point In Her Life?

lizchris
Apr 4th, 2004, 02:37 PM
She is going to be 48 years od this yera and really cannot keep up with the younger players. I might be wrong, but I think this an attempt to qualify for the Olympics as she was not able to play in her era as tennis wasn't an Olympic sport them. If so, I don't see her playing singles unless Venus' ranking is so low that Zina won't pick her to play singles.

SpikeyAidanm
Apr 4th, 2004, 02:39 PM
I think she's just making the most of the opportunities put before her, so that she ends up having no regrets in what is some long, luxurious and very healthy career.

Ryan
Apr 4th, 2004, 02:41 PM
She is going to be 48 years od this yera and really cannot keep up with the younger players. I might be wrong, but I think this an attempt to qualify for the Olympics as she was not able to play in her era as tennis wasn't an Olympic sport them. If so, I don't see her playing singles unless Venus' ranking is so low that Zina won't pick her to play singles.

hahahahahahahahahahaha! Navratilova will NEVER be chosen for Olympic singles, EVER. She wants some old glory back and is trying to help her doubles.

A'DAM
Apr 4th, 2004, 02:43 PM
I think she just simply miss to that exaintment of beeing on the court and compeate with other profesionals! :wavey: :wavey: :wavey:

lizchris
Apr 4th, 2004, 02:47 PM
I think she just simply miss to that exaintment of beeing on the court and compeate with other profesionals! :wavey: :wavey: :wavey:
No offense, then she should play on the seniors circut, if there is one for the women.

Ryan
Apr 4th, 2004, 02:51 PM
No offense, then she should play on the seniors circut, if there is one for the women.

She can play wherever she wants. 18 GS=pass to do whatever you want with your career.

GoDominique
Apr 4th, 2004, 02:55 PM
:haha: Great joke. :yeah:

Oh wait ... it's lizcrap ... and it's not a joke :scared: :retard:

Experimentee
Apr 4th, 2004, 02:56 PM
She just loves to play and compete, and she knows she can compete with top 50 players, like she showed at Eastbourne last year, so why the hell not?

Mattographer
Apr 4th, 2004, 02:56 PM
Just because it's not fair for these players who face the legend? Who cares!

GO MARTINA NAVRATILOVA!! :rocker:

Mattographer
Apr 4th, 2004, 02:57 PM
She just loves to play and compete, and she knows she can compete with top 50 players, like she showed at Eastbourne last year, so why the hell not?
Two years ago :p And she won a set from Daniela Hantuchova was amazing!

fammmmedspin
Apr 4th, 2004, 03:03 PM
A. She likes playing.

B. She has an eye for the records book and this is a good one to have.

lizchris
Apr 4th, 2004, 03:04 PM

Just like you penis isn't a joke (since I think you are a man).:haha:

Volcana
Apr 4th, 2004, 03:06 PM
Two years ago :p And she won a set from Daniela Hantuchova was amazing!
And beat Panova, who was ranked #21 at the time.

GoDominique
Apr 4th, 2004, 03:12 PM
Gotta love lizcrap's "comebacks".

Volcana
Apr 4th, 2004, 03:12 PM
She is going to be 48 years od this yera and really cannot keep up with the younger players.Actually, she's BETTER than most of the younger players, even now, and THAT'S part of why she's doing it. Nav, playing 15 events a year, would be a top hundred player easily, even now. That makes her better than 90% of the tour! If you're still in the top 10% of your sport, do you NEED to be retired?

I might be wrong, but I think this an attempt to qualify for the Olympics as she was not able to play in her era as tennis wasn't an Olympic sport them.Of course not. Not with Venus, Serena, Lindsay, Chanda, Lisa Raymond and Jenn (if she's eligible) available to play. If she REALLY was motivated toplay inthe Olympics, she'd focus on doubles, where with the right partner, she could rack enough wins to actually make the team on merit.

Pamela Shriver
Apr 4th, 2004, 03:13 PM
Martina is still striving to be better than me. Its a self worth thing. Just let her get it out of her system before she realises the truth, and then she'll get on with her life.

lizchris
Apr 4th, 2004, 03:18 PM
Actually, she's BETTER than most of the younger players, even now, and THAT'S part of why she's doing it. Nav, playing 15 events a year, would be a top hundred player easily, even now. That makes her better than 90% of the tour! If you're still in the top 10% of your sport, do you NEED to be retired?

Of course not. Not with Venus, Serena, Lindsay, Chanda, Lisa Raymond and Jenn (if she's eligible) available to play. If she REALLY was motivated toplay inthe Olympics, she'd focus on doubles, where with the right partner, she could rack enough wins to actually make the team on merit.
Jenn is now elegible to play for the Olympic team but if her back injury doesn't get better, I don't think she'll go.

lizchris
Apr 4th, 2004, 03:19 PM
Martina is still striving to be better than me. Its a self worth thing. Just let her get it out of her system before she realises the truth, and then she'll get on with her life.
I'm glad that you were not in Miami this year. Hope your pregnancy is going fne and we don't see you until the US Open.:p

Greenout
Apr 4th, 2004, 03:21 PM
I bet Larry Scott CEO of the WTA put her up to it, so the tour
can have some sort of "old timer" star to drum up business. :rolls:

MLF
Apr 4th, 2004, 03:38 PM
As Martina says herself she's using the singles to keep sharp for the doubles events.

However, it's also her last year and she's probably just doing it to satisfy a curiosity as to where she's at right now. One thing's for sure - she sells more tickets than most of the WTA players.

Ballbuster
Apr 4th, 2004, 03:49 PM
I personally think she'll be a sideshow. Much like some of Serena's outfits. Yet, Serena can back her's up so her sideshow appeal diminishes. Martina will be taken as the old broad who still got skillz.

I like her better commentating. She's more "Fair and Balanced"

VivalaSeles
Apr 4th, 2004, 04:00 PM
Why Is Martina Making A Comeback In Singles At This Point In Her Life?

Because she wants to. It's that simple :)

CC
Apr 4th, 2004, 04:02 PM
She loves it.

She's chasing records.

She doesn't have anything else to do.

charmedRic
Apr 4th, 2004, 04:06 PM
Let her do it, I mean... it sucks that sh'es facing my fave so I'll be rooting for Kristina. But at 47...with the amazing record she has, let Martina see where she stands.

Cybelle Darkholme
Apr 4th, 2004, 04:08 PM
She loves it.

She's chasing records.

She doesn't have anything else to do.
Why should she do anything else if she's doing what she loves? Honestly people are just criticizing her only because of her age. If she were 18 people would be saying zip. Leave the woman alone and stop the ageism already. If she can play let her play. Obviously if they let her into the draw they feel she can be compeititve.

CC
Apr 4th, 2004, 04:21 PM
Why should she do anything else if she's doing what she loves? Honestly people are just criticizing her only because of her age. If she were 18 people would be saying zip. Leave the woman alone and stop the ageism already. If she can play let her play. Obviously if they let her into the draw they feel she can be compeititve.
Wrong assumption.

callado
Apr 4th, 2004, 05:56 PM
Because unlike most past champions, she hasn't found a life outside of tennis or anyone to share it with....

A'DAM
Apr 4th, 2004, 06:06 PM
Because unlike most past champions, she hasn't found a life outside of tennis or anyone to share it with....

Bit hard what you wrote!!! But you might be right... :sad: :sad: :sad:

Infiniti2001
Apr 4th, 2004, 06:16 PM
I bet Larry Scott CEO of the WTA put her up to it, so the tour
can have some sort of "old timer" star to drum up business. :rolls:

Yep, I think the organizers are thinking of the publicity value, but isn't she jeopardizing her doubles status??? :shrug: :tape:

arcus
Apr 4th, 2004, 06:44 PM

Wow, kinda rough post there, callado. :)
Actually martina has said time and time again that she has a long term partner, and is very happy, and looking forward to paying back for compromises her partner has made because of her tennis over the past few years, and will be involved in politics in some way or another :)

rhz
Apr 4th, 2004, 07:05 PM
In my opinion, the WTA wants her to help market the game. As a lot of top players are injured at the moment. Having Martina plays will boost the ticket sales of tournaments. Don't you think???

Philbo
Apr 5th, 2004, 12:20 AM
Callado - sorry mate, but you are compltely full of shit and lacking in facts.

Martina does have someone to share her life with, which is a big reason why she is stopping doubles at the end of this year - her partner has made sacrifices so that Martina could play doubles the last few years, and as Martina has said, its 'her turn to give'..

She is very private regarding her current lover, after years of having the media scrutinise all her private rships.

Sad, pathetic people like you who claim to know the inner psyche of why Martina would enter a few tournaments to play singles because she has no life really piss me off. It must be sad living your pathetic, mundane existence where the best you can do it take potshots at champions who are doing what they love.

jay_k
Apr 5th, 2004, 12:29 AM
Why Is Martina Making A Comeback In Singles At This Point In Her Life?

Because she wants to. It's that simple :)
:worship:

harloo
Apr 5th, 2004, 12:52 AM
Martina misses the attention, she wants to compete with Serena but it's not going to work. Nav needs to give it up and stop trying to relive her past. Steffi, Chrissy, have moved on why don't Nav give all these mini comebacks a rest? LOL

Melly Flew Us
Apr 5th, 2004, 01:02 AM

oh dear!

go martina, u can do it, put ur back in2 it.

Philbo
Apr 5th, 2004, 01:06 AM
Martina misses the attention, she wants to compete with Serena but it's not going to work. Nav needs to give it up and stop trying to relive her past. Steffi, Chrissy, have moved on why don't Nav give all these mini comebacks a rest? LOL
LOL @ this pathetic bitter Willi fan, still bitter over Martina dissing Dick Williams huh?

So what the fuck if Chrissie and Steffi have moved on? For one, they COULDNT make a mini comeback, even if the desire was there, and Martina leads an unconventional life - she didnt drop everything and spit babies out in her mid 30's, and why the fuck should she feel like she has to do that?

It just makes me laugh when people like you feel as if you have ANY right to tell a champion like MN what she should, or shouldnt be doing!

Competing with Serena?? Not everything revolves around the Williams, there is another thread on here about "do people focuss on the Williams sisters too much" - well with fans like you who think that everythng that happens on tour revolves around them, no wonder people focuss so much on them.

Philbo
Apr 5th, 2004, 01:13 AM
Serena commenting on Martina ""I don't blame her. If you can do it you should do it," Williams said of Navratilova's comeback. "She's just an unbelievable person. And I think she will win a few rounds."

Williams, who said she drew inspiration from Monica Seles (http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/players/91/)' winning her comeback event in 1995 after being stabbed in 1993, takes strength from seeing Navratilova's determination as well. "It keeps me motivated," Williams said. "When I'm 48, I hope I can be standing, let alone competing on a professional level with such athletes."

Its a pity half of Serena's fans are nowwhere near as classy as she can be!

Jarrett
Apr 5th, 2004, 01:57 AM
Only thing I can think of is she thinks she can handle singles after beating Monica in the exhibition a few weeks ago. Maybe that was her testing ground. The idea was already in her head but that just pushed her over the edge.

Zummi
Apr 5th, 2004, 02:14 AM
She was already talking about playing singles at both Amelia Island and Charleston, well before the Richmond exhibition against Monica.

She isn't going to play a full-time singles schedule this year, so it can't be called a comeback.

Jarrett
Apr 5th, 2004, 03:05 AM
That is what I said "she was TALKING" now she is actually playing.

Cybelle Darkholme
Apr 6th, 2004, 03:27 AM
Based on what? You act like you know the woman. I dont think you do.