PDA

View Full Version : Do you think that people focus to much on Williams sisters?

A'DAM
Apr 4th, 2004, 12:16 PM
Looking on the General massages forum 85% is about sis!!! :confused:

bandabou
Apr 4th, 2004, 12:19 PM
Itīs ALWAYS about the Williamses......always has been, is, and will be.

SpikeyAidanm
Apr 4th, 2004, 12:20 PM
I think the numerous "Williams related threads" do show there are plenty of members here whose tennis interest concentrate on the top players in particular the sisters, yet this has also overridden the fact that there are a lot of other members who concentrate on the wider scope of tennis but they have just been naturally idle in this forum recently. ;)

turt
Apr 4th, 2004, 01:01 PM
Looking on the General massages forum 85% is about sis!!! :confused:2 weeks ago it was all about Justine...

When a top player actually plays, there are always numerous threads about her! Not a Williams thing at all...

smarties
Apr 4th, 2004, 01:07 PM
2 weeks ago it was all about Justine...

When a top player actually plays, there are always numerous threads about her! Not a Williams thing at all...

Actually even when the conversation is about another top player, they always try to insert the Williams in the discussion even if it doesn't makes sense :rolleyes:

for-sure
Apr 4th, 2004, 01:09 PM
2 weeks ago it was all about Justine...

PLEASE direct me to ONE (1) thread which is about Justine, but does not mention a Williams sister.

bandabou
Apr 4th, 2004, 01:14 PM
For sure.....what kinda signature is that one, man?! :lol:

A'DAM
Apr 4th, 2004, 01:54 PM
PLEASE direct me to ONE (1) thread which is about Justine, but does not mention a Williams sister.

He is kinda right!

Experimentee
Apr 4th, 2004, 02:08 PM
I know, its really annoying how everyone concentrates on top players, particularly the Williams sisters!
Every time theres a thread about something irrelevant, some hater always finds a way to bring the Williams sisters into it when no one even mentioned them first. Some people really need to stop focusing on the Williams sisters and start talking about their own players.

Cybelle Darkholme
Apr 4th, 2004, 04:10 PM
Looking on the General massages forum 85% is about sis!!! :confused:
Yes because people who are not their fans talk just as much about the sisters as the fans do. Isn't that funny? :lol:

Ballbuster
Apr 4th, 2004, 04:17 PM
It's all about them even when its not.

turt
Apr 4th, 2004, 04:21 PM
PLEASE direct me to ONE (1) thread which is about Justine, but does not mention a Williams sister.PLEASE direct me to ONE (1) thread which is about Serena, but does not mention Justine.

This one already mentions her :p

DA FOREHAND
Apr 4th, 2004, 04:26 PM
Williams Tennis Association

WTA

People love them, and they love to hate them. Which is why thier "Q" ratings are so high, and they have landed the two biggest endorsement contracts for female athletes.

DunkMachine
Apr 4th, 2004, 04:38 PM
Face it... they are what's making the WTA tick.

A'DAM
Apr 4th, 2004, 06:12 PM

Are you guys think so too??? :confused: :confused: :confused:

udachi Elena
Apr 4th, 2004, 06:15 PM
I disagree, but you are entitled to your opinion. From most of what I've read it seems that either the ws fans, or the fans of the to be rival (justine) bring them into everything.

bandabou
Apr 4th, 2004, 06:17 PM
Thatīs just the way it is....no disrespect to neither Kim nor Justine, but they donīt bring the buzz like the Williamses, specially Serena, do.

You either hate them or you love them. You either gonna come to see them lose or to cheer for them to win, but in noway can you be neutral to them.

In both cases the WTA and tennis wins.

faboozadoo15
u ppl just need to wait until monica comes back....
mwahahaha

SJW
it's funny but this thread was about the Williams sisters....until the Henin fans mentioned Henin :)

udachi Elena
Apr 4th, 2004, 06:18 PM
Thatīs just the way it is....no disrespect to neither Kim nor Justine, but they donīt bring the buzz like the Williamses, specially Serena, do.

You either hate them or you love them. You either gonna come to see them lose or to cheer for them to win, but in noway can you be neutral to them.

In both cases the WTA and tennis wins.
That is the case in America, not in other countries.

A'DAM
Apr 4th, 2004, 06:20 PM
it's funny but this thread was about the Williams sisters....until the Henin fans mentioned Henin :)

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

A'DAM
Apr 4th, 2004, 06:21 PM
That is the case in America, not in other countries.

But take a look on that forum so many new threads are about sisters!

ghosts
Apr 4th, 2004, 06:21 PM
no they arent :p

udachi Elena
Apr 4th, 2004, 06:22 PM
But take a look on that forum so many new threads are about sisters!
and how many of them were created by americans? probably all..

SJW
Apr 4th, 2004, 06:23 PM
im not american. and about 3 or 4 serena threads are mine. :)

A'DAM
Apr 4th, 2004, 06:24 PM

Good point!!! You may be right!!! :worship:

bandabou
Apr 4th, 2004, 06:29 PM
So you wanna tell me that no one outside of America loves the Williamses?! Hmmm....

udachi Elena
Apr 4th, 2004, 06:31 PM
So you wanna tell me that no one outside of America loves the Williamses?! Hmmm....
Not no one! People outside like them. but they are not as hyped up as they are here. Do americans drool over Justine and Kim? Not as much in America as in Belgium. I just think that the majority of the posts about the sisters are probably started by Americans. Just my opinion. :wavey:

arcus
Apr 4th, 2004, 06:31 PM
Generally, its great that the williams bring a whole new group of fans to the sport. And they are gerat players....

But, personally, in terms of this website, i dont like that its got so personal, almost a "them-and-us" thing.

I mean tennis is just a game, to be enjoyed by players and fans.

You look on here sometimes and it doesnt look like anyone is having fun. Everyone seems to be stressing about how much they hate the posters who dont support "their" player. Some of the posts and threads are outrageous. human nature i guess :(

faboozadoo15
Apr 4th, 2004, 06:34 PM

well i think i am very neutral toward serena... i rooted for her throughout the whole tournament (until she faced dementieva :tape: ), and i generally don't like her a lot. but i appreciate a lot of what she brings/has brought to the sport of tennis, and she's fun to watch.

Vass22
Apr 4th, 2004, 06:36 PM
Well perhaps we should talk a bit more about other players, but Williams do deserve the attention.

A'DAM
Apr 4th, 2004, 07:17 PM
Generally, its great that the williams bring a whole new group of fans to the sport. And they are gerat players....

But, personally, in terms of this website, i dont like that its got so personal, almost a "them-and-us" thing.

I mean tennis is just a game, to be enjoyed by players and fans.

You look on here sometimes and it doesnt look like anyone is having fun. Everyone seems to be stressing about how much they hate the posters who dont support "their" player. Some of the posts and threads are outrageous. human nature i guess :(

Very Wise opinion!!! :wavey: :wavey: :wavey:

bandabou
Apr 4th, 2004, 07:29 PM
well i think i am very neutral toward serena... i rooted for her throughout the whole tournament (until she faced dementieva :tape: ), and i generally don't like her a lot. but i appreciate a lot of what she brings/has brought to the sport of tennis, and she's fun to watch.

See...you ainīt THAT neutral anymore! :lol:

bandabou
Apr 4th, 2004, 07:30 PM
Not no one! People outside like them. but they are not as hyped up as they are here. Do americans drool over Justine and Kim? Not as much in America as in Belgium. I just think that the majority of the posts about the sisters are probably started by Americans. Just my opinion. :wavey:

O.k... I see your point.

A'DAM
Apr 4th, 2004, 07:44 PM
See...you ainīt THAT neutral anymore! :lol:

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

Pureracket
Apr 4th, 2004, 07:57 PM
It's impossible NOT to talk about the Williams Sisters.

A'DAM
Apr 4th, 2004, 08:57 PM
It's impossible NOT to talk about the Williams Sisters.

He? :confused:

DemWilliamsGulls
Apr 4th, 2004, 09:21 PM

THANK YOU...somebody slap this young man face.... :worship: Its always been about Vee & Nem.

A'DAM
Apr 4th, 2004, 10:07 PM
THANK YOU...somebody slap this young man face.... :worship: Its always been about Vee & Nem.

I dont get it?

for-sure
Apr 4th, 2004, 10:31 PM
They concentrate on SERENA cause she is the best...the only time anyone beats her is if she plays 80,000 notches below her best.

katrientje
Apr 4th, 2004, 10:42 PM
I think it's very normal, everybody is just so excited that they're back :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

A'DAM
Apr 5th, 2004, 07:52 AM
I think it's very normal, everybody is just so excited that they're back :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

But on other hand there are also different players making come back like Pierce or Seles but people dont make so much noise abaut it! :wavey: :wavey: :wavey:

DunkMachine
Apr 5th, 2004, 08:35 AM
They concentrate on SERENA cause she is the best...the only time anyone beats her is if she plays 80,000 notches below her best.
It's nice to see you're seeing the light.

Dymension
Apr 5th, 2004, 08:38 AM

Right on :yeah:
It's becuase Williams sisters are the best players, and are the best thing which ever happened to the tour :D

A'DAM
Apr 5th, 2004, 10:03 AM
It's becuase Williams sisters are the best players, and are the best thing which ever happened to the tour :D

Heee? :eek:

A'DAM
Apr 5th, 2004, 10:07 AM

This shows which player was for how many weeks a nb 1 player in the world.

Steffi Graf : 377 weeks
Martina Navratilova : 331 weeks
Chris Evert : 262 weeks
Martina Hingis : 209 weeks
Monica Seles : 178 weeks
Serena Williams : 57 weeks
Lindsay Davenport : 38 weeks
Justine Henin-Hardenne : 23 weeks
Tracy Austin : 22 weeks
Jeniffer Capriati : 17 weeks
Kim Clijsters : 12 weeks
Arancha Sanchez Vicario : 12 weeks
Venus Williams : 11 weeks

Do you still think that sisters are the best thing ever happend to the tour?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

tennischick
Apr 5th, 2004, 10:27 AM
the Sisters attracted hordes of new fans to tennis and scores of new posters to tennisboards.

"Sluggy"
Apr 5th, 2004, 10:39 AM
No. the focus on the williams sisters is normal.

A'DAM
Apr 5th, 2004, 11:45 AM
No. the focus on the williams sisters is normal.

You really think so? :confused:

DA FOREHAND
Apr 5th, 2004, 12:42 PM
This shows which player was for how many weeks a nb 1 player in the world.

Steffi Graf : 377 weeks
Martina Navratilova : 331 weeks
Chris Evert : 262 weeks
Martina Hingis : 209 weeks
Monica Seles : 178 weeks
Serena Williams : 57 weeks
Lindsay Davenport : 38 weeks
Justine Henin-Hardenne : 23 weeks
Tracy Austin : 22 weeks
Jeniffer Capriati : 17 weeks
Kim Clijsters : 12 weeks
Arancha Sanchez Vicario : 12 weeks
Venus Williams : 11 weeks

Do you still think that sisters are the best thing ever happend to the tour?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Yes I do, it matters not how many weeks they were number one...how many of those other players put Womens tennis in prime time?

NEXT!!!

A'DAM
Apr 5th, 2004, 12:48 PM
Yes I do, it matters not how many weeks they were number one...how many of those other players put Womens tennis in prime time?

NEXT!!!

ANNA KOURNIKOVA for example!!!

power26
Apr 5th, 2004, 12:50 PM
Hey You Guys Forgot That Even The Atp Mentions The Fabulous, The Amazing, The Wonderful, The Great Williams Sisters. Ha Ha Haha Ah Aha Aha Ha Ha Ha....welcome To The Kingdom That Is Called Williams-dom!!!

DA FOREHAND
Apr 5th, 2004, 12:57 PM
ANNA KOURNIKOVA for example!!!
Never happened...

2001 US Open final first prime time Grand Slam title match in the history of tennis...

If you wanna see Anna pick up a tabloid, the swimsuit issue of sports illustrated, or when she's playing make sure you are there for the first round.

A'DAM
Apr 10th, 2004, 05:54 PM
After almoust 30 Threads :eek: about Serena's lost match to Petrova I think that this question has a much bigger meaning :wavey:

turt
Apr 10th, 2004, 05:57 PM

NEXT!!!
:haha:

Like putting tennis on prime time in the USA makes it any better for tennis in general... NOT!

In Europe we get it in the middle of the night, so a lot of people don't watch it live, and maybe not even taped in the next day...

A'DAM
Apr 10th, 2004, 06:00 PM
Never happened...

2001 US Open final first prime time Grand Slam title match in the history of tennis...

If you wanna see Anna pick up a tabloid, the swimsuit issue of sports illustrated, or when she's playing make sure you are there for the first round.

In America!!!

Dont forget that America is not the only country in the universe!!!!!! :rolleyes:

TeeRexx
Apr 10th, 2004, 06:01 PM
I don't think that enough attention is focused on VENUS & SERENA WILLIAMS!:p :lol:

mykarma
Apr 10th, 2004, 10:38 PM
But on other hand there are also different players making come back like Pierce or Seles but people dont make so much noise abaut it! :wavey: :wavey: :wavey:
So what should Williams fans do, not talk about their favorites? :confused:

dreamgoddess099
Apr 10th, 2004, 11:51 PM
Face it haters, the Williams are a phenomenon unmatched in all of sport. They are totally in a class of their own because their accomplishments as siblings are unique and rare. Haters are just jealous that their favs don't get as much atttention for being special.

Ballbuster
Apr 11th, 2004, 12:00 AM
In America!!!

Dont forget that America is not the only country in the universe!!!!!! :rolleyes:

well, Tony Blair is George Bush's bitch! Now they are both going down.

faste5683
Apr 11th, 2004, 01:37 AM
Face it haters, the Williams are a phenomenon unmatched in all of sport. They are totally in a class of their own because their accomplishments as siblings are unique and rare. Haters are just jealous that their favs don't get as much atttention for being special.

It's rare but not unique. Think Maleeva sisters (all three) and the Sanchez family (Arancha, Emilio, amd Javier).

:wavey:

vettipooh
Apr 11th, 2004, 02:19 AM
:) It's rare but not unique. Think Maleeva sisters (all three) and the Sanchez family (Arancha, Emilio, amd Javier). Ah, but they have not accomplised what the W/S,have.That is, the #1and #2 rankings at the same time,grand slam titles galore,endorsements to die for,and international fame. Here you have two Black women who infiltrated a white sport, dominated it for a while, and strutted their stuff, for the world to see.they became overnight sensations,and household names.They became the envy of the rest of the tour.
Some people say, they are conceited, arrogant, and aloof.IF they are,they have earned the right to be so.Love them,or hate them,they became the core of the WTA.They are talked about and discussed,playing,absent,ill,injured,or just doing their own thing.They are brillant, educated,and diverse.They have gone down in history and will continue to do so.;) :)

A'DAM
Apr 11th, 2004, 08:22 AM
well, Tony Blair is George Bush's bitch! Now they are both going down.

Thanks GOD!!!

dreamgoddess099
Apr 11th, 2004, 08:39 AM
It's rare but not unique. Think Maleeva sisters (all three) and the Sanchez family (Arancha, Emilio, amd Javier).

:wavey:Sorry, I wasn't aware that all of those siblings won grandslam singles titles and held the top two or three spots at the same time. In fact, I'm still not aware of it. :wavey:

dreamgoddess099
Apr 11th, 2004, 08:43 AM
Great post Vettipooh, I didn't see yours before I wrote mine.

faste5683
Apr 11th, 2004, 11:40 AM
Sorry, I wasn't aware that all of those siblings won grandslam singles titles and held the top two or three spots at the same time. In fact, I'm still not aware of it. :wavey:

They didn't, but thats not what you stated in your post:

"Face it haters, the Williams are a phenomenon unmatched in all of sport. They are totally in a class of their own because their accomplishments as siblings are unique and rare. Haters are just jealous that their favs don't get as much atttention for being special."

The key phrase being "accomplishments as sibilings are unique and rare."

Well, so are those of the Sanchez's and Maleeva's; even more so because they had *3* siblings playing professional tennis at the same time. If you look carefully (or even carelessly) at your statement, you will find no mention of grand slam titles or holding top spots at the same time. If you *had* stated that, I wouldn't have responded to your post. I'm not a mind reader.

Greenout
Apr 11th, 2004, 12:01 PM
Anna? :rolls: It's a totally different story here. She hasn't lived up
to her pre WTA tour hype, nor did she ride the crest of AnnaMania in
it's peak when she was doing well on tour. You have to admit that
Serena and Venus have lived up to all their pre-WTA hype that they've
been flogging since 1995!! I recall watching the Miami event when it
was called the Lipton and during the Steffi -vs- Natasha match, Venus
was in the stands watching, and they name dropped her as someone
the USTA has high hopes for.

bandabou
Apr 11th, 2004, 12:11 PM

"Face it haters, the Williams are a phenomenon unmatched in all of sport. They are totally in a class of their own because their accomplishments as siblings are unique and rare. Haters are just jealous that their favs don't get as much atttention for being special."

Well, so are those of the Sanchez's and Maleeva's; even more so because they had *3* siblings playing professional tennis at the same time. If you look carefully (or even carelessly) at your statement, you will find no mention of grand slam titles or holding top spots at the same time. If you *had* stated that, I wouldn't have responded to your post. I'm not a mind reader.

aahh....I couldnīt believe that you were even comparing the achievements of the Maleevaīs to that of the Williamses.....thank God, you werenīt.

mykarma
Apr 11th, 2004, 12:26 PM

Come on Faste, don't get huffy because JHH lost. Serena lost too, :fiery: . The phrase being "accomplishments as sibilings are unique and rare." could include all accomplishments without mentioning grand slams, titles etc. Depending on interpretation.

You're my buddy but I have to agree with bandabou.
kgsuv

faste5683
Apr 11th, 2004, 01:25 PM
Come on Faste, don't get huffy because JHH lost. Serena lost too, :fiery: . The phrase being "accomplishments as sibilings are unique and rare." could include all accomplishments without mentioning grand slams, titles etc. Depending on interpretation.

You're my buddy but I have to agree with bandabou.
kgsuv

Well, I agree with both of you - yet that's not what this was about. The poster's statement was vague, as already noted. Even you throw in "depending upon interpetation." Well, screw my little huffy ass :angel: if I didn't "interpet" it as "accomplishments as siblings are unique and rare," and then, silly me, thought of the Sanchez and Maleeva familys being unique and rare as well.

I'm not upset with Justine losing, she got whipped fair and square. What can you do?

bandabou
Apr 11th, 2004, 02:07 PM
Well, I agree with both of you - yet that's not what this was about. The poster's statement was vague, as already noted. Even you throw in "depending upon interpetation." Well, screw my little huffy ass :angel: if I didn't "interpet" it as "accomplishments as siblings are unique and rare," and then, silly me, thought of the Sanchez and Maleeva familys being unique and rare as well.

I'm not upset with Justine losing, she got whipped fair and square. What can you do?

But when three things are rare and unique you go with the rarer and more unique of them....and thatīd be two sisters winning GSīs, being ranked no.1, being ranked no.1 and no.2...

faste5683
Apr 11th, 2004, 02:10 PM
But when three things are rare and unique you go with the rarer and more unique of them....and thatīd be two sisters winning GSīs, being ranked no.1, being ranked no.1 and no.2...

Or, you could look at the odds of having 3 members of the same family playing professional tennis...

bandabou
Apr 11th, 2004, 02:12 PM
Or, you could look at the odds of having 3 members of the same family playing professional tennis...

But only one of them, really achieved much of anything in her career right?! What are the odds of two members of the same family being HALL of FAMERS?!

TonyP
Apr 11th, 2004, 02:14 PM
What I have never really understood is how the Williams sisters participation in tennis became a racial issue so quickly. They were not the first black women in tennis at the time they came on the tour, nor where they the only black women in tennis.

I sort of put some of the blame on the press, which seemed to play up their ethnicity far more than any black player that I can remember. Others, like Chanda Rubin, McNeil, Adams, etc., where sort of just thought of as players,not black players.

But from the outset, the Williams sisters were not just two talented new players, they were two talented new, black players.

I think that created problems, because it made either their success or failure more than just success or failure on the court, it made it a racial issue. Its not that way in other sports. I am sure that there were white players who joined the tour who were not automatically loved by the other girls, or conversely, were no friendlier to the other girls than the Williams were, but that was always overlooked.

Maybe I am mistaken, but I just don't remember Garrison or McNeil or Rubin being so defined by the racial issue. I also think it was rather a smoke screen, because the Williams sisters didn't really come from a poorer background than many other players came from. Tennis is not a sport that favors the poor. There are no poor white girls from America who have succeeded in tennis that I can think of.

faste5683
Apr 11th, 2004, 02:17 PM
But only one of them, really achieved much of anything in her career right?! What are the odds of two members of the same family being HALL of FAMERS?!

About the same as 3 members of the same family playing professional tennis and having one member of each reach the "hall of fame?" We'll have to call in the statisticians for this one...

faste5683
Apr 11th, 2004, 02:22 PM
I sort of put some of the blame on the press, which seemed to play up their ethnicity f Tennis is not a sport that favors the poor. There are no poor white girls from America who have succeeded in tennis that I can think of.

No, but some of the Russians (including Anna) came from backgrounds which made living in Compton seem relatively luxurious.

bandabou
Apr 11th, 2004, 02:24 PM
About the same as 3 members of the same family playing professional tennis and having one member of each reach the "hall of fame?" We'll have to call in the statisticians for this one...

Maybe...but you donīt get the point. It isnīt so much the three or two members of the same family playing the same sport. It is that the ONES who chose to play the sport, BOTH are HOF bound...while in the other case only one had an even decent career. THAT is the amazing part..

TonyP
Apr 11th, 2004, 02:30 PM
Both Venus and Serena deserve the hall of fame and both will get there. But so will Sanchez-Vacario. She also won four grand slam titles and held the number one spot longer than Venus did. Getting there should have nothing to do with whether or not you have a successfiul sibling. That should not be the criteria,any more than race should, because obviously, not everyone can compete in those categories. Not everyone has a tennis playing sibling, or even a sibling. There should not be a category called "best siblings."

When people talk about Venus and Serena, they should remember that they are two people, not one, and talking about them in the same breath should only happen when you are talking about doubles.

Both would qualify for the hall of fame in my view. But then, so certainly would Arantxa. Whether the Maleevas do or not, I cannot really say.

faste5683
Apr 11th, 2004, 02:31 PM
Maybe...but you donīt get the point. It isnīt so much the three or two members of the same family playing the same sport. It is that the ONES who chose to play the sport, BOTH are HOF bound...while in the other case only one had an even decent career. THAT is the amazing part..

No, you don't get the point. It's not just three members of a family playing a pro sport, it's the fact that they were *good enough* to play in a pro sport that's rare and unique. Becoming # 1 for awhile would be icing on the cake, but that's just *adding* to an already unique situation, not defining one.

bandabou
Apr 11th, 2004, 02:43 PM
No, you don't get the point. It's not just three members of a family playing a pro sport, it's the fact that they were *good enough* to play in a pro sport that's rare and unique. Becoming # 1 for awhile would be icing on the cake, but that's just *adding* to an already unique situation, not defining one.

O.k...so you rate that as bigger or a greater achievement, thatīs your right. As long as Vee and Serena both get in the HOF, no problemo to me which one you rate as a greater achievement really.

bandabou
Apr 11th, 2004, 02:44 PM
Both Venus and Serena deserve the hall of fame and both will get there. But so will Sanchez-Vacario. She also won four grand slam titles and held the number one spot longer than Venus did. Getting there should have nothing to do with whether or not you have a successfiul sibling. That should not be the criteria,any more than race should, because obviously, not everyone can compete in those categories. Not everyone has a tennis playing sibling, or even a sibling. There should not be a category called "best siblings."

When people talk about Venus and Serena, they should remember that they are two people, not one, and talking about them in the same breath should only happen when you are talking about doubles.

Both would qualify for the hall of fame in my view. But then, so certainly would Arantxa. Whether the Maleevas do or not, I cannot really say.

Well said..