PDA

View Full Version : WHICH Player has IMPRESSED you the most this year?

SpikeyAidanm
Apr 4th, 2004, 12:12 PM
Kuznetsova’s sudden “breakthrough” as an elite player which was spurred in the space in just her UAE (Doha/Dubai)campaign suddenly put her inside the top 20 and it already seems she is right at home here. This was a bit a surprise after her lackluster losses to Dechy and Salerni in Gold Coast and Hobart…

Tatiana Golovin (16) sudden rise to an established WTA player has also caught my attention, out of the four tournaments she has played this year she has gained 10 victories already (incl wins over S-Pistolesi twice, Dementieva, Asagoe, Safina) suggest she in for a long successful and fruitful career.

Other surprises are Benesova, after a major collapse last year, had a few good challengers and was back better than before, brutalizing the Acapulco field and defeating Maleeva the next week in Indian Wells. Other mentions Zuluaga, the veteran Frazier, who has yet to lose a first round this year, alongside Kristina Brandi.

From the younger ones, Stosur’s Gold Coast SF which was complimented by a QF in Acapulco and win over Sprem over the next week shows she is on the way of realizing her talent. Sprem, coming off a rookie season still is continuing her good form, showing she can handle the pressure in Antwerp and Miami. Strycova’s rites if passage into the WTA Tour also has been noteworthy, she was brutal in Australia and backed it up in Indian Wells. Moreover, Dulko, still 19 years old, has surprised me ever since her win over Harkleroad in Memphis. Went on to take advantage of a week quarter in Indian Wells and followed suit in Miami as a lucky loser, traits of a strong mental player, and thus gets my vote.

:wavey:

cheo23
Apr 4th, 2004, 12:17 PM
Svetlana Kutnezsova has clearly impressed everyone with her results!!!!! and she can claim so far that she's the only player to defeat Justine....if someone would have told me that in the beginnin of this year..I would not believe them at all...LOL!!!!!!!!

bandabou
Apr 4th, 2004, 12:27 PM
Svetlana, if you look at the record it looks great..specially because she has the lone win against Justine this year. But I wished she would play better when it really mattered. She hasn´t titled this year sofar, has she?! Gotta step it up more in the big matches.

Jackson.
Apr 4th, 2004, 12:28 PM
Easy = Svetlana
Her records speeks for itself

Golovin comes a close second ;)
Perhaps these two should play

jenny161185
Apr 4th, 2004, 02:46 PM
Definately Sveta she just has to reproduce some of her amaxing form in the bigger matches

alextreiber04
Apr 4th, 2004, 03:03 PM
Well, I'd say Serena because she came back from injury. But a topper to that would definetely be Tatiana Golovin!

Stijn
Apr 4th, 2004, 03:07 PM
Svetlana KUZNETSOVA ;)

Purple_Llama
Apr 4th, 2004, 03:42 PM
I had to put other,as Patty Schnyder's semi-final appearance at the Oz Open has impressed me the most thus far.

Volcana
Apr 4th, 2004, 04:18 PM
Myskina

Mateo Mathieu
Apr 4th, 2004, 04:19 PM
Silvia Farina-Elia

Experimentee
Apr 4th, 2004, 04:23 PM
Probably Serena, shes really impressed me with her comeback, winning such a big tournament after 8 months out is just awesome!
Next would be Kuznetsova, last year she looked like she would just be a solid top 30 player, but in two weeks she rose into top 15, beating a couple of good players.

- L i n a -
Apr 4th, 2004, 04:23 PM
Kuznetsova has been the most impressive...

But, Golovin has to be the most surprising.

Up until Aussie Open... the girl was pure hype, at least in the main tour. She was hardly winning matches in challengers... and getting spanked against the big girls. Then, whammo... 4R Aus Open, SF Paris, 4R Miami.

I have to admit I didn't expect that, whatsoever.

bandabou
Apr 4th, 2004, 04:54 PM
And to top it all: Serena....she has already managed something neither of those girls have done: win a tier I.

E. Blackadder
Apr 4th, 2004, 04:58 PM
Kuznetsova / Benesova

charmedRic
Apr 4th, 2004, 05:20 PM
Brandi & Kuznetsova for me.

Jane
Apr 4th, 2004, 05:35 PM
I have been following Sveta since she started playing doubles with ASV and expected her to make a breakthrough soon. I have followed Karolina since her impressive run in the challengers and I am happy but not surprised at her continued progress this year. Golovin is the one the impressed me the most so far this year. Not only did she have the great run at AO, but followed it up with solid performances to become the youngest player in the top 100. Kartancheva also made an impressive debut at IW and I am looking forward to seeing how she does when she can play a few more tournaments.

Aerien
Apr 4th, 2004, 05:40 PM
(Of course ) Svetlana Kuznetsova and (Definitly) Nathalie Dechy.

WhatTheDeuce
Apr 4th, 2004, 05:43 PM
Sweta.

Geoffry
Apr 4th, 2004, 05:52 PM
Marta Marrero, I didn't think she would ever get out of the qualy tournaments and in the top 100 again, but look at her now, she reached the SF of Acapulco, she qualified for IW and Miami and won some matches (sure she lost to Serena 6-1 6-0, but so did Craybas and Dementieva only won one more), and now the gravel season begins and I think she might do some damage

Tompier
Apr 4th, 2004, 05:59 PM
GOLOVIN
Pierce in Paris (her first tournament)
Serena in Miami (her first tournament)

Vass22
Apr 4th, 2004, 06:03 PM
Well, Kuznetsova impressed,
Serena- intimidated,
Golovin- surprized
Dechy- no word, but something in the area.

lauryn
Apr 4th, 2004, 06:04 PM
Golovin impressed me the most, I still haven't seen her play, but she had great results. I didn't see that coming so soon.
Svetlana used to disappoint me, so I have been impressed with her play against the top players this year this year. And first time I saw K-Lina play in Antwerp, and I was really impressed with her game.

Belgium = Best
Apr 4th, 2004, 06:15 PM
Svetlana KUZNETSOVA :)

She beat Justine!

:wavey:

beauty_is_pink
Apr 4th, 2004, 06:19 PM
TATIANA GOLOVIN :D

LindsayRocks89
Apr 4th, 2004, 06:27 PM
Serena

jrm