PDA

View Full Version : "Closing" thoughts on Miami

Brian Stewart
Apr 4th, 2004, 09:15 AM
This event has not been a good one for real estate transactions, as it seems a lot of people have been unable to close. Sets, matches, etc. It's hard to remember a tournament where there were so many failures to "seal the deal" on a daily basis. And these weren't just journeymen having problems, but also top players.

Serena served for the match today, having won 11 straight games, and being in total control, and was broken. In both sets of her semi, she served for it at 5-3, and was broken. In all cases, she immediately rebounded and closed the door in the next game.

Venus served for her quarterfinal match at 5-3 in the 3rd. Broken. She managed to regroup and stay on even terms into the tiebreak before ultimately surrendering.

But many weren't able to "right the ship" immediately. In that same Venus match, Dementieva served for the match in the 2nd set, then proceeded to drop 6 consecutive games before rebounding.

And some didn't rebound at all. When they were in the position to close, not only did they fail to do so, they completely fell apart. Gonzalez collapsed against Coria after failing to close. Moya went into total meltdown against Roddick. Coria received similar benevolence earlier in the week from Benneteux? (sp?).

Were there any other such matches that I overlooked? Remember, the player in question doesn't have to reach match point; just have the opportunity to serve it out.

I can't recall, off the top of my head, a tourney where this has happened so many times. With all of the failures to close, maybe it's a good thing this is called the Nasdaq-100 "Open".

cheo23
Apr 4th, 2004, 10:04 AM
HMMMMMMMMMm...My closin thought about the Miami Tournament is that SERENA Wants to BE #1 Again..Go SERENA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WE Love U!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jakeev
Apr 4th, 2004, 10:14 AM
The Miami event basically proved to me that Serena Williams is a special and gifted tennis player who deserved more respect about her talents regardless of how long she had been off tour.

She may not have been overly challenged by a somewhat "weak" draw, but she was not at her best in several occasions yet she still won matches and then the tournament.

Not sure if she will reclaim number 1 this year, but she definitely is number 1 in my book.

But as for the sisters themselves, I am convinced that despite what I believe, it takes more than just one or two top players to make a tournament. Star quality I guess is important to most tennis fans.

I noticed many empty seats during matches, even when it was Serena or Venus on court. I guess it did prove to me that people want to see all the Big names on court and in the tournaments.

cheo23
Apr 4th, 2004, 10:20 AM
whatever..they were alot of empty seats because Serena was always the 1st Match on that Stadium court...after the 1st couple of rounds..the crowds improved. Thank U VEry Much

SJW
Apr 4th, 2004, 10:21 AM
Serena is back :hearts: Serena is back :worship: Serena is back :bounce: Serena is BACK! :D

Jakeev
Apr 4th, 2004, 10:24 AM
whatever..they were alot of empty seats because Serena was always the 1st Match on that Stadium court...after the 1st couple of rounds..the crowds improved. Thank U VEry Much
Don't whatever me........Venus and Elena where already deep into the third set and I noticed rows and sections of seats empty.

SpikeyAidanm
Apr 4th, 2004, 11:47 AM
One of the things which impressed me in Miami, was Karolina Sprem, never won a match in the US before and claims 3 impressive scalps, she is "the best player you've never heard of" for the "casual fan"