PDA

View Full Version : If Nav plays 15 events this year, where will she wind up ranked?

Volcana
Apr 4th, 2004, 04:27 AM
She has by far the best volleys of the few remaining serve and volley players.

She's in great shape. For her age.

She'll have a HHUGE edge in experience over anyone she plays.

Can she recover fast enough? What happens if a tournament loses a day or tewo to rain, and Nav has to play two or three consecutive days?

How good IS she?

udachi Elena
Apr 4th, 2004, 04:34 AM
Good question! We shall have to see next week!

azza
Apr 4th, 2004, 04:35 AM
15 points shel get IMHO

Sadka
Apr 4th, 2004, 06:27 AM
if she play 15 event, she might rank about 300
she might win a few matches through year, but mainly lose :(

- L i n a -
Apr 4th, 2004, 06:33 AM
Well, Stevencow wins a handful of MD matches the last 12 months, and is ranked 120 because of it...

So, I think Martina would be in the 75-100 range.

There's a bunch of girls with brain cramps that will just fold against her.

But, I don't that happening with Brandi this week.

Brian Stewart
Apr 4th, 2004, 06:40 AM
Need more information. Which tournaments, surfaces, etc. If she were to play only the biggest tourneys, you could probably count her wins on one hand, with fingers to spare. But if she played lower tier events, on surfaces friendly to her game, she could pick up a handful of wins. The 15 tournament limit would leave almost no margin for error, though. A tough draw means one and done, with no chance to make up for it later.

As far as her fitness, the recovery would be the most critical thing. I remember Nolan Ryan's comments. He was able to pitch no-hitters into his mid 40's because he, like Martina, was in extraordinary shape. He said he was as fit at 45 as he was much earlier in his career. But, he said he didn't recover as well. Any particularly taxing efforts hung on him longer.

I think it would be the same for Martina. She has been, hands down, the fittest woman to ever play the sport. At 36, she pulled a "double-Ai", by having to play 2 singles and 2 doubles matches in the same day TWICE in a row in the same tournament. And still managed to reach the semis of her next tourney. However, 47 is a long way from 36. I could see her getting through 2 singles matches in one day, but it will take a toll on her in the following round. (That's assuming she'd be able to win both matches, which is another issue.) Her age would play a double factor, in that not only would her recovery time be adversely affected, but she's also a bit slower and not as powerful, and thus would have to work harder for each win.

If she were to schedule herself to maximize her chances, I could see a definite top 100 ranking. Top 50 would depend on her draws. But she could get high enough for DE into slams. (Maybe she doesn't want Amy to catch her.)

MrYonex
Apr 4th, 2004, 06:43 AM
Maybe she will get into the top 100, but she will need a couple of good draws!

vogus
Apr 4th, 2004, 06:56 AM
If she gets 15 maindraw WC's, she's bound to reach the Top 100. But first things first, let's see if she can beat Brandi on Monday/Tuesday. Brandi has good groundstrokes and has won a ton of matches in the past year on the lower Tiers. My prediction is Brandi beats Martina in two sets. Experience can't make up for being three or four steps slower than your opponent.

E. Blackadder
Apr 4th, 2004, 07:27 AM
If martina plays the grass season and some hardcourts she can end up top100