PDA

View Full Version : Navra vs. Brandi

GoDominique
Apr 3rd, 2004, 08:13 PM
IMO Martina couldn't have asked for a better draw. Kristina is in good form but clay is definitely not her best surface. And she hits flat on both sides wihtout any spin (except slice on the FH :o) which won't give Martina too much trouble. A topspin-player would be much harder for her.

And still I say Kristina will win.

alextreiber04
Apr 3rd, 2004, 08:13 PM
Martina will win in 3 sets.

- L i n a -
Apr 3rd, 2004, 08:14 PM
Brandi in 2 easy sets.

WhatTheDeuce
Apr 3rd, 2004, 08:16 PM
Nav in 3.

CJ07
Apr 3rd, 2004, 08:18 PM
who knows really, but i say Navratilova

Vass22
Apr 3rd, 2004, 08:22 PM
If Martina learnt even a bit from Kusnetsova last year, she'll take a set off Brandi....

Brandi in 2.

MisterQ
Apr 3rd, 2004, 08:22 PM
I wonder how Brandi feels about playing Navratilova. It must be exciting, but also more pressure because there will be increased attention paid to this first round match.

It's a bit surreal -- I'll bet she never thought she would play this lady who turned pro 4 years before Brandi was even born, lol!

Gallofa
Apr 3rd, 2004, 08:26 PM
Can't really see Martina beating anyone in that draw, but still, I think Kristina will probably lose... too much pressure :D.

Wojtek
Apr 3rd, 2004, 08:29 PM
Brandi

KoOlMaNsEaN
Apr 3rd, 2004, 08:30 PM
I would have to say Martina N!

Bezz
Apr 3rd, 2004, 08:33 PM
Its a hard one to call, i dont really know how well martina can cover the court cos in doubles you dont have to move around all that much. I am half expecting her to lunge for a shot and her leg to snap or something :o , i just think 47 is really old to be competing on the tour. I hope she has a good showing and enjoys herself, feel sorry for brandi cos the stadium will prbably be packed with photographers and spectators, hopefully she will handle herself well. :cool:

callado
Apr 3rd, 2004, 08:45 PM
Brandi in two easy sets 6-1 6-0....

Havok
Apr 3rd, 2004, 09:03 PM
brandi in 2. 3 sets if she manages to choke:retard:

canoe.
Apr 3rd, 2004, 09:45 PM
:o Brandi will probably choke,and lose in 2

Rtael
Apr 3rd, 2004, 10:59 PM
Brandi in 2 easy sets.
Seriously Leena, if Navvy proves you wrong, I hope you're prepared to eat crow. :p

CoryAnnAvants#1
Apr 3rd, 2004, 11:20 PM
This was definitely a good opening round for Martina. Kristina is a solid player, no glaring weaknesses but no real weapons. However, she definitely prefers faster courts over clay. She's not going to overpower Martina either.

If Martina gets through this, she'll get whooped by Petrova...there's no way Martina will get through that one.

Right now I'm going to say Martina wins 6-4 7-5...hopefully I'm right:)

V.Melb
Apr 3rd, 2004, 11:28 PM
Brandi hits quite flat. But she moves the ball around the court very deceivingly.
Also she's a great defender who makes few mistakes because she never tries to hit the cover off the ball. Martina will probably get a close set against Brandi.... but after that... it will be Martina doing all the running.
Brandi will float a few balls - get Martina into the net...then pass her 4 out of 5 times.

Brandi in 2 sets. Although we could see a tie break.

CoryAnnAvants#1
Apr 4th, 2004, 12:32 AM
Here's a stat Martina fans are going to like...

Kristina has played 26 main draw WTA matches on clay in her career. She's won 9 of them...

Bottom line, this tournament is win-win for Martina. If she wins, it shows she can still beat a top 50 player at the age of 47, which would be absolutely fuckin sick. If she loses, she gets the practice for doubles that she seeks...and she's 47! She's not expected to win.

Either way, she's not going to embarass herself, I can guarantee you that much.

Rtael
Apr 4th, 2004, 12:38 AM
Well, it would be embarrassing if she lost 6-0 6-0, that's just not going to happen.

TennisLurker
Apr 4th, 2004, 12:40 AM
I really dont know.

when will they play??

Jeff
Apr 4th, 2004, 03:10 AM
Brandi is actually a very good player. She'll win this match if she's not overwhelmed.

~SunFlower~
Apr 4th, 2004, 03:45 AM
Can't believe she is :drive: back to singles once again! :yeah: Why not giving it a try!

charmedRic
Apr 4th, 2004, 03:54 AM
*Jaw On Floor*

Well that's what happens when you pit one's favorite player and a legend in a first round match.

Kristina would rather stay away from clay, and Martina would rather move forward and not run.

If Kristina moves the ball in the stealthy mode she likes to do, she will take it.

MIND OVER MATTER KRISTINA, MIND OVER MATTER.

Chunchun
Apr 4th, 2004, 05:44 AM
difficult to predict on this poll

udachi Elena
Apr 4th, 2004, 05:45 AM
haha I just made the vote 50/50

Volcana
Apr 4th, 2004, 06:00 AM
Here's a stat Martina fans are going to like...

Kristina has played 26 main draw WTA matches on clay in her career. She's won 9 of them...

Bottom line, this tournament is win-win for Martina. If she wins, it shows she can still beat a top 50 player at the age of 47, which would be absolutely fuckin sick. If she loses, she gets the practice for doubles that she seeks...and she's 47! She's not expected to win.

Either way, she's not going to embarass herself, I can guarantee you that much.
Lest we forget

2002 Eastbourne

32 Navratilova def Panova 6-1 4-6 6-2
16 Hatnuchova def Navratilova 6-2 2-6 6-2.

At the time, Panova was ranked #21, and Hantuchova was top ten.

Also, remember Nav was a VERY good clay court player. She won RG twice, and made the final three other tims, losing to Steffi Graf or Chris Evert each time.

I think Nav will control the points. She will take the net easily and constantly, and force Brandi to try to hit passing shots, not safe returns.

Zummi
Apr 4th, 2004, 06:05 AM
Brandi will win it in straights, 6-2 6-3. This is clay. Not the best surface for Martina today. :sad:

geoepee
Apr 4th, 2004, 06:27 AM
It all depends on how Brandi deals with the pressure of playing a great legend. Kristina should win in straight sets, because it's clay. But who knows, I like Kristina but an upset here would be great for Martina.

Sadka
Apr 4th, 2004, 06:55 AM
yes, if brandi play well = she win
if brandi play bad = she lose

;)

Jakeev
Apr 4th, 2004, 07:23 AM
I wonder how Brandi feels about playing Navratilova. It must be exciting, but also more pressure because there will be increased attention paid to this first round match.

It's a bit surreal -- I'll bet she never thought she would play this lady who turned pro 4 years before Brandi was even born, lol!
Exactly. If Kristina loses it definitely would probably be with nerves and the shock it's Martina Navratilova on the other side of the net.

Hopefully Brandi can just go out on court do her thing and just have fun with the hole circus that match obviously will be.

MrYonex
Apr 4th, 2004, 07:36 AM
GO MARTINA!

Thats all I have to say! :D

Scotso
Apr 4th, 2004, 07:42 AM
Sorry, but anyone who says Navratilova will lose 1-6 0-6 to Brandi is just stupid.

- L i n a -
Apr 4th, 2004, 07:45 AM
Seriously Leena, if Navvy proves you wrong, I hope you're prepared to eat crow. :p
I'm never wrong.

Dymension
Apr 4th, 2004, 09:52 AM
Martina does have a chance, she just need to serve good and hope Kristina can make error ;)

caramel
Apr 4th, 2004, 09:55 AM
Navratilova :o

Cro-boy
Apr 4th, 2004, 09:59 AM
Martina in 3.

hoekie274
Apr 4th, 2004, 10:13 AM
When Martina played Tatiana Panova in the 1st round of the WTA-tournament in Eastbourne, Tatiana was stiff from nerves. Panova has a great mentality, but she couldn´t deal with the pressure. And than Martina gave it all and lost in 3 sets to Daniela Hantuchova (who whas in form).

I´m not sure about Brandi´s mentality. The attention and pressure will be big for her and when she´s getting her act together, it will be a 3-6 4-6 win for Brandi.

New_balls_please
Apr 4th, 2004, 11:26 AM
Martina 6-2 6-4

SpikeyAidanm
Apr 4th, 2004, 11:28 AM
Brandi 6-1, 7-6 :(

propi
Apr 4th, 2004, 11:31 AM
Vamos Kristina :bounce:

bionic71
Apr 4th, 2004, 01:43 PM
I honestly think Martina will make a good showing for herself....
Kristina will not over-power her and although Martina is no where near as quick around the net as she was 15 years ago..... her anticipation up there is unchallenged.

She will know all too well what to do against Brandi.....a flat hitting baseliner, brought up on hardcourts, dislikes clay, and enjoys pace.
Brandi has been playing well this year...but Martina will try and jerk her around and give her no rhythm. Whether she can execute her game plan on the day remains to be seen....she certainly will not be intimidated by Brandis playing style.

Brandi should win...she is Top 50 and in nice form....but I wouldn't be at all surprised if Martina pulls this match out.

Many are saying that clay is a strange choice for Martina...but it gives her the opportunity to hit a few more balls. The big hitters will still overwhelm her, but clay gives Martina more time and theoretically a chance to do what she wants to do with the ball.....without being on the defensive from the first strike.

If she is serious about playing the grass season then playing a few tournaments on the clay wil give her much needed singles practice.

azza
Apr 4th, 2004, 01:58 PM
Navratilova 0-6 7-5 7-5

Stijn
Apr 4th, 2004, 03:08 PM
Navratilova :shrug:

Experimentee
Apr 4th, 2004, 03:12 PM
Its hard to predict as Martina hasnt played singles for a year and we dont know what kind of form shes in! If she was playing well I'd say Martina in 3, but I think she'll lack singles practice and lose in 3.
Brandi is more than capable, she's been in good form and recently beat Shaughnessy on hardcourt, which is really good.

crazillo
Apr 4th, 2004, 03:22 PM
i think navratilova has to win in two sets, when it goes to three, she will loose because with 47 you cannot compete over two hours with a 20 years younger woman

Stefwhit
Apr 4th, 2004, 03:46 PM

I was wondering what this moment must feel like for her as well. Some players play their whole careers w/out "moments"- it looks like Brandi is having one now.

Its a hard one to call, i dont really know how well martina can cover the court cos in doubles you dont have to move around all that much. I am half expecting her to lunge for a shot and her leg to snap or something :o , i just think 47 is really old to be competing on the tour. I hope she has a good showing and enjoys herself, feel sorry for brandi cos the stadium will prbably be packed with photographers and spectators, hopefully she will handle herself well. :cool:
.. her leg to snap... :lol: :lol:
You said something else I thought was funny as well, about feeling sorry for brandi- since the stadium would be packed with photographers and spectators. This is funny because professional athletes definitely want to win- no doubt, but quite a few also also like the 'celebrety' aspect, others want to go down in history, etc... In a way, she's waited her whole career to be playing in a match that would attract so much attention and introduce her to the world. What an opportunity for her, so don't feel sorry for her, just hope she doesn't get lost in the occassion and can at least play her game.

charmedRic
Apr 4th, 2004, 05:28 PM
This is true, if Kristina plays a good match where she plays clean & agressive I think it'll give her the exposure every player likes. Who knows maybe MaryJo & Pam & them coaches will end up giving Kristina some pointers.

Regardless of the match outcome Kristina needs to make the most out of it, and be a very graceful player. I'm sure even Martina at the end of the match would give Kristina some pointers.

Belgium = Best
Apr 4th, 2004, 06:18 PM
Navratilova :wavey:

CoryAnnAvants#1
Apr 4th, 2004, 09:33 PM
I´m not sure about Brandi´s mentality.

Obviously this is only one match, so it's not the best assessment, but I still think it says a lot...

Anyone remember when Kristina played Venus in the 2nd round of the AO in 2002. Venus had some kind of awful leg injury and was LIMPING to balls. So what did Kristina do? She hit soft balls right down the middle of the court to Venus. She was basically like "No Venus, take this match. No really, don't give me a short ball, I insist you move on to the next round. Look, here's an unforced error. Take the point."
:rolleyes:

She's been winning a shitload matches the last 9 months or so though, first cleaning up on the challenger circuit, and then getting some good results on hard courts on tour lately, so it could be different this time.

ghosts
Apr 4th, 2004, 09:53 PM
Navratilova 61 26 64

PatM04
Apr 4th, 2004, 10:02 PM
Brandi...maybe after Martina plays a few matches it will come back to her but Kristina has been playing well lately.

charmedRic
Apr 5th, 2004, 03:01 PM
She's been winning a shitload matches the last 9 months or so though, first cleaning up on the challenger circuit, and then getting some good results on hard courts on tour lately, so it could be different this time.
She took 7 ITF Titles last year, with the most games, sets, and matches won in that circuit.

This year, you can see her results in my signature.

I'm Hoping & Praying that Kristina pulls it off!

daniela86
Apr 5th, 2004, 03:04 PM
Navra in 3 :)

Ryan
Apr 5th, 2004, 03:12 PM
Obviously this is only one match, so it's not the best assessment, but I still think it says a lot...

Anyone remember when Kristina played Venus in the 2nd round of the AO in 2002. Venus had some kind of awful leg injury and was LIMPING to balls. So what did Kristina do? She hit soft balls right down the middle of the court to Venus. She was basically like "No Venus, take this match. No really, don't give me a short ball, I insist you move on to the next round. Look, here's an unforced error. Take the point."
:rolleyes:

ROTF! That match was just sad. Navratilova could take this match if she can serve well. Brandi doesn't hit very hard and on clay Nav's slice backhand will be a monster for a flat hitter. Martina will make Kristina hit lots of errors, attack the net, and hit loopy forehands and slice backhands with little or no pace.:p Martina can win in two.

Ryan
Apr 5th, 2004, 03:14 PM
And on the opposite side...I expect Brandi to dismantle Martina head to toe. She needs to play consistant and run Nav around until she hits it out or collapses. Brandi should win this match by controlling the points and not letting Nav exploit her weaknesses. LOB her!

"Sluggy"
Apr 5th, 2004, 03:32 PM
OK somebody throw me a bone. who is Brandi/Kristina? Thanks!

m_pierce fan
Apr 5th, 2004, 03:54 PM
you know the fact is that Martina is better player than Brandi...although Martina's 2nd serve is "bad" Brandi isnt able to handle it....

Prediction: Martina in 2 sets / 6:4 7:5

silvermaxd
Apr 5th, 2004, 05:56 PM
Go Brandi!!! no pressure!!

she'll win in 3 :cool: