PDA

View Full Version : Amelia Island - difficult draw for Mary

Declan
Apr 3rd, 2004, 07:03 PM
I've just seen the Amelia Island draw - not good for Mary. She starts against Maghann Shaughnessy, whom I'd expect her to beat handily, but then she's up against Serena. Damn! Could she have a crappier draw???!

MissTennisFan
Apr 3rd, 2004, 08:07 PM
Wow, that is a pretty tough draw...

:bounce: Allez Mary!:bounce:

Edman
Apr 4th, 2004, 04:42 AM
yes.it is not a good draw for Mary.
But,alternatively,it is not a good draw for both Shaughnessy and S.Williams.
Mary is a very tough player
Also,Mary has been resting for 6 weeks,she is definitely hankering to win matches,right?
If Mary can do well and in good form, Shaughnessy is just her cup of tea.
And fighting S.Williams,Mary has chance to win!!Coz Mary strong backhand and forehand can chanllege her.
you know,Williams is fatter than when she was in world.no 1 whereas Mary is fitter!!
I am excited to watch out mary finds confidence in this tour and has a impressive performance.It's her chance to defeat the top players in the world.

Declan
Apr 4th, 2004, 06:32 AM
yes.it is not a good draw for Mary.
But,alternatively,it is not a good draw for both Shaughnessy and S.Williams.
Mary is a very tough player
Also,Mary has been resting for 6 weeks,she is definitely hankering to win matches,right?
If Mary can do well and in good form, Shaughnessy is just her cup of tea.
And fighting S.Williams,Mary has chance to win!!Coz Mary strong backhand and forehand can chanllege her.
you know,Williams is fatter than when she was in world.no 1 whereas Mary is fitter!!
I am excited to watch out mary finds confidence in this tour and has a impressive performance.It's her chance to defeat the top players in the world.

Yes, that's definitely true, Edman. Mary is always unpredictable (that's part of her charm), and it would be a fantastic way to start her 2004 clay court campaign! I guess I just wanted a nice 'easy' draw so she could play her way into form, but winning a few matches here with THIS draw would certainly announce that Mary was back!

NicoMary
Apr 4th, 2004, 07:27 AM
Unfortunatly Mary had to preview that she would play great player early because of her ranking, she decided just to play big tournaments and it can be difficult for her, but the things is to see how Mary is doing, clay is her favorite surface and Shaughnessy and Serena have to be scared of Mary on clay:worship:

Wizzy Maryfan
Apr 4th, 2004, 12:10 PM
I think Mary is better than Meghann on clay !
And Serena ... yes, she won MIAMI, but she did not play very good, with a lot of mistakes !
So, I think Mary is better than that Serena, who's not at her best !

Mary will probably play Davenport in semis ! Here, it will be difficult, not before :cool: :kiss:

(le seul truc, c'est le manque de repères, dont Mary a souffert à paris contre Parra ... Ceci dit, Meghann n'est pas une pro de la terre, et joue mal en ce moment, battue par Brandi à Miami ...)

Go Mary :bounce:

Tompier
Apr 4th, 2004, 03:06 PM
I believe that Mary will do her best, She will beat Meghan, I am sure of it. Serena could be problem but still I think Mary will win :) :bounce: I am waiting for a good match :)

educ00
Apr 4th, 2004, 04:16 PM
Mary has absolutely nothing to loose from this draw:
1. If Mary wins againsts Serena, we are seeing breakthrough time BIG TIME here: Maryn has yet to beat a top player and feel she is in the field competing for a Grand Slam again or that she belongs in the top 10
2. If Mary looses against Serena, well, she will learn a) she needs to keep working hard - it will payoff - and she will learn from the mistakes (it is great she is playing someone like Serena now to measure how she stands rather than later), b) it will also help to assess her calendar in the next year ( I really think she should have played either Miami or Indian Wells instead of Belgium), c) more than anything it will motivate Mary.

It is funny, noone knows what to expect, not even Serena who I love to death. I really wish I could see this match!

Mark Spruce
Apr 5th, 2004, 01:35 AM
educ00--I like both of your points !!!!!!!!!!!!! I agree with them totaly.

Yes it is a tough draw for Mary. But I am sure that if Mary gets past Meghan. I think that Serena will be worried. As Mary can hit just as hard as Serena.

Yes it will be interesting to see what happens. But I am just so happy to see Mary back again.

WELCOME BACK MARY

MISS YOU SO MUCH

regards

Mark

MissTennisFan
Apr 5th, 2004, 05:29 AM
It doesn't look like Mary is going to be playing on Monday, I guess her match will be on Tuesday.

:bounce: Allez Mary!:bounce:

aimee20
Apr 5th, 2004, 10:54 AM
:wavey: let's hope she'll beat Meghan. then she'll know what to do with serena :bounce: :bounce:

http://www.mary-pierce.org/B&L_1998/PierceWon.jpg

sweetpinks
Apr 5th, 2004, 02:54 PM
I think Mary is better than Meghann on clay !
And Serena ... yes, she won MIAMI, but she did not play very good, with a lot of mistakes !
So, I think Mary is better than that Serena, who's not at her best !

Mary will probably play Davenport in semis ! Here, it will be difficult, not before :cool: :kiss:

(le seul truc, c'est le manque de repères, dont Mary a souffert à paris contre Parra ... Ceci dit, Meghann n'est pas une pro de la terre, et joue mal en ce moment, battue par Brandi à Miami ...)

Go Mary :bounce:
OMG, are you kidding, look Mary is one of my fav, but she has no match play for weeks, Meaghan has been playing all along and playing touch, she won doubles this week, even though Serena is not playing tops she just returned, you cannot possible be serious that she will beat both Meaghan and Serena, let's see how she looks when she comes out tomorrow, and about Serena being fatter and Mary fitter, do you really believe that, Serena is in top condition did you see her match on Saturday

sweetpinks
Apr 5th, 2004, 02:57 PM
educ00--I like both of your points !!!!!!!!!!!!! I agree with them totaly.

Yes it is a tough draw for Mary. But I am sure that if Mary gets past Meghan. I think that Serena will be worried. As Mary can hit just as hard as Serena.

Yes it will be interesting to see what happens. But I am just so happy to see Mary back again.

WELCOME BACK MARY

MISS YOU SO MUCH

regards

MarkIt is a tough draw for Mary and I am so happy she is back, wish she would play a little more, but I am sure she is taking care of herself and playing less to do that, I think she will have a difficult time with Meaghan only because she has not played in a while and Meaghan has, and even with her mistakes Serena is pretty tough to beat, sure was impressed with her on Saturday, but we have to wait and see will be interesting

NicoMary
Apr 5th, 2004, 05:24 PM
It is a tough draw for Mary and I am so happy she is back, wish she would play a little more, but I am sure she is taking care of herself and playing less to do that, I think she will have a difficult time with Meaghan only because she has not played in a while and Meaghan has, and even with her mistakes Serena is pretty tough to beat, sure was impressed with her on Saturday, but we have to wait and see will be interesting

Mary came back at the open gaz de france without having play any matches before and she beat, Parra, serna, Bovina, Golovin in a row:worship: :eek: ....she is been training on clay for 6 weeks right now and clay is by far the best Mary's surface, not meghann's...:rolleyes: I really think that she can beat Meghann in three sets just like she did at the fed cup...;) about Serena, it will be her first tournament on clay and even if she is still strong, having to play :eek: Mary Pierce:eek: for your second tournament and your first match of the year on clay....won't be a piece of cake for Serena:devil:

sweetpinks
Apr 5th, 2004, 05:41 PM
Mary came back at the open gaz de france without having play any matches before and she beat, Parra, serna, Bovina, Golovin in a row:worship: :eek: ....she is been training on clay for 6 weeks right now and clay is by far the best Mary's surface, not meghann's...:rolleyes: I really think that she can beat Meghann in three sets just like she did at the fed cup...;) about Serena, it will be her first tournament on clay and even if she is still strong, having to play :eek: Mary Pierce:eek: for your second tournament and your first match of the year on clay....won't be a piece of cake for Serena:devil:
I am not knocking Mary or anything, just being realistic, I personally think she will have a hard time with Meghann and she will be facing a fit Serena if she gets past Meghann, we are not talking about the 2000 Mary guys she has not done anything for weeks and I don't think it matters that it is Serena's first tournament on Clay, let her get past Meghann first then we'll see what happens but I think it is going to really tough for her

Declan
Apr 5th, 2004, 08:00 PM
I think Nicolas is correct; Mary proved in Paris, as she has often during her career, that she can come in 'cold' and win matches. Clay is arguably Shaughnessy's worst surface, is it not?, and Mary's best, as Nicolas says. Furthermore I think the Fed Cup match will have left an unhappy mark on Meghann. So I'd expect Mary to win that one, maybe in straight sets....

sebbe
Apr 5th, 2004, 11:37 PM
hmm the thing is this week is that if she lose in an early
round she will slip down to a eventual 35:th place and that's not good....

Mark Spruce
Apr 6th, 2004, 01:10 AM
Schedule of Play for Tuesday, April 6, 2004

Stadium - 10:00 AM Start

Meghann Shaughnessy (USA) vs Mary Pierce (FRA)

ashwu
Apr 6th, 2004, 05:48 AM
i think mary is not such a great team player. more pressure...:p
she is more relax in those tournaments... i believe she will play even better this time.
come on mary :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

NicoMary
Apr 6th, 2004, 07:33 AM
hmm the thing is this week is that if she lose in an early
round she will slip down to a eventual 35:th place and that's not good....
Unfortunatly mary had to know that it could happen...she just wants to play big events:rolleyes: and with such a "bad" ranking she can face the best early:sad: :fiery:

Mark Spruce
Apr 6th, 2004, 01:02 PM
I hope that Mary will play a little more and have not such big breaks. But another point could be, is that by playing less tournament, mary could extend her career more.

Just a though

GO MARY !!!!!!!!!

Best of luck today

Mark

Tompier
Apr 6th, 2004, 01:59 PM
GUYS let's support Mary in Teusday scores thread :bounce:

mamno_MARYFAN
Apr 6th, 2004, 02:22 PM
Hi guys....:wavey:

Well...its time to cheer for Mary again...:rolls:

emm...this is not a good draw...facing Shaugnessey and Serena so early like this....

I guess the big question is that what form Mary is in rite now...she has been practising a lot these past few weeks...but I really hope that she is mentally prepared to play against the top players....

I'm dissapointed about this draw...I was hoping that she will play a few tournaments more before meeting a player of Shaugnessey's calibre...and Serena so early as well...:eek:

But one thing for sure...she must be prepared to be really focused against Shaugnessey...because if she's not mentally strong enough she will be overwhelmed...:eek:

It is difficult to get the same intensity while playing in matches in such a short time...and u know what Serena's like...very intimidating....:fiery:

Having said that...I do believe that Mary can win against Shaugnessey...Shaugnessey's not that dangerous on clay...but against Serena its another story....

But I'm still hoping that she will win...she's capable of beating Serena and did it very easily in IW 2000 (6-1 6-2)....:tape:

Trouble is...she's not quite a mover as she was in 2000...so I hope that Mary will shorten the rallies and try to pressure Serena rite from the 1st point....some winners maybe...and Serena is not at her best rite now....and if Serena doesn't move Mary well enough,then Mary will have a chance..... not many players can rally with Mary Pierce....:devil:

I was really interested in the comment by Serena when she won in Miami...she said that 'talent comes in 10% and desire comes in 90% when it comes in winning matches....'so lets hope that Mary is in a desiring mood to beat Serena when the time comes.....:fiery:

So who knows...I know that Mary is hungry for victories...and she is fresh from a long break...here's hoping for a Mary victory here in Amelia Island:hearts:

GO MARY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bounce: :bounce:

P.S: sorry for the long post....i did'nt realise it would be this long!!!!!:eek:

NicoMary
Apr 6th, 2004, 03:52 PM
Now it's Serena....an other story but mary is doing really good, Serena might be a bit scared...first match on clay and who to face MARY PIERCE:eek:

I really think that mary can take a set minimum...will see what happen
Mary:worship: :hearts: