PDA

View Full Version : Whoever said Women's Tennis had depth?

fried_beans
Apr 3rd, 2004, 07:01 PM
Look at taht final... when would you ever see that on the mens tour between 2 top players with the exception of Federer/Agassi at the masters?

I could serve faster that Elena with my left hand ..god she is bad

GoDominique
Apr 3rd, 2004, 07:02 PM
I didn't.

SJW
Apr 3rd, 2004, 07:05 PM
i suggest you add "it doesn't matter wither you face a puddle or the ocean....winning is winning" to your sig ;)

harloo
Apr 3rd, 2004, 07:06 PM
i suggest you add "it doesn't matter wither you face a puddle or the ocean....winning is winning" to your sig ;)
:lol:

fried_beans
Apr 3rd, 2004, 08:13 PM
? I'm not taking anything away from Serena's win but it is disgusting how low the competition level is for her still after 8 months off.

fammmmedspin
Apr 3rd, 2004, 08:18 PM
She beat the World number 8 and the world number 25 ?

- L i n a -
Apr 3rd, 2004, 08:20 PM
Please note that none of the Top 5 players in the world were in Miami.

WhatTheDeuce
Apr 3rd, 2004, 08:23 PM
Nobody said it had depth. But Leena brings up a good point.

SJW
Apr 3rd, 2004, 08:24 PM
Please note that none of the Top 5 players in the world were in Miami.
ok. and?

tennischick
Apr 3rd, 2004, 08:31 PM
no-one with half a brain and an ounce of objectivity. next question...;)

fried_beans
Apr 3rd, 2004, 09:16 PM
I think Serena would still win if the top 5 players were there..seh would probably demolish Mauresmo and Davenport and have tougher matches against Justine and Clijsters...But that is 3 players who challenge eachother and then they are far and away better than the rest of the top 10.

That fact that she was out for 8 months and she beat the world number 7? 6-1 6-1 is a sad sign.

for-sure
Apr 3rd, 2004, 09:34 PM
Marat Safin had better wins for his first event back, no one questioned the depth of men's tennis then.

fried_beans
Apr 3rd, 2004, 10:15 PM
His first event back he lost to Fabrice Santoro..he played I think 3 more including Hopman Cup and then played the Australian Open where all of his matches went at least 4 sets and all extremely difficult.

- L i n a -
Apr 3rd, 2004, 10:20 PM
I think Serena would still win if the top 5 players were there..seh would probably demolish Mauresmo and Davenport and have tougher matches against Justine and Clijsters...But that is 3 players who challenge eachother and then they are far and away better than the rest of the top 10.

That fact that she was out for 8 months and she beat the world number 7? 6-1 6-1 is a sad sign.
And she also lost a set to Likhovtseva...

Hendouble
Apr 3rd, 2004, 10:23 PM
You can't possibly compare Safin's comeback to Serena's, he spent over 20 hours on court battling to get through to the final of the Australian Open (I think that's a record for on-court time in a Slam), and then got crushed by Federer largely because of his exhaustion. The serve has long been a weakness among lower-ranked female players, however I do think a lot of other women would have been able to hold serve at least once in a Tier I final, and Dementieva couldn't even manage that. There's no doubt that if they could all serve at least half-decently, and that doesn't necessarily mean hitting bombs, then there would be more depth in the game.

Crazy Canuck
Apr 3rd, 2004, 11:11 PM
when would you ever see that on the mens tour between 2 top players with the exception of Federer/Agassi at the masters?

When do you see one sided finals on the mens side? ALL THE TIME. There was one final last year in a big event that was not a straight set blow out, and that was Cincy. And yes, some of those finals were between two "top players" (and I use that term loosely). Monte Carlo, the USO, Wimbledon... the USO is the best example of the three, but the other two will suffice, since Coria and Mark were both contenders on that surface at the time. The only reason that the losers in those finals were able to win so many games is because they, unlike Elena, actually have somewhat of a serve ;) Uh, except Coria in Monte Carlo. He got crushed like a bug.

bandabou
Apr 3rd, 2004, 11:17 PM
Well, if you put: the best server and the best returner against the worst server in the tennis world, this is the result you´re gonna get. Nothing one can do about it.... Elena D just has to go work on that excuse for a serve.

fried_beans
Apr 4th, 2004, 01:52 AM
You see straight set mens finals but they aren't really that onesided... They usually manage to get at least 3 or 4 games a set and yes it is because they have a decent serve add on to that some kind of consistency ..the men make eachother play out the points ...See they can hit it hard consistently and not have to worry about being in the triple digits for UFEs so at least the winner of most mens finals are forced to play instead of being doublefauted/UFE'd a match.