PDA

View Full Version : Serena and Seles have achieved a unique feat

MisterQ
Apr 3rd, 2004, 06:42 PM
Monica and Serena are the only two players to have won their first large tournament back after a long break.

Seles won the 1995 Canadian Open, conceding only 14 games, including a demolition of Sabatini, 6-1, 6-0.

Serena won this one fairly easily as well.

It was nice that in her post-match TV interview she said had looked to Monica's 1995 win as inspiration.

WhatTheDeuce
Apr 3rd, 2004, 06:44 PM
Monica :worship:
Serena :worship:

SJW
Apr 3rd, 2004, 06:44 PM
it's great that Serena can share a record with the great Monica Seles...i'm happy cuz they are two of my ultimate faves :D

Andy T
Apr 3rd, 2004, 06:47 PM
Yep, well done Serena on a great return and well-done also for making a classy acknowledgement of another all-time great and her achievement back in 95.

MisterQ
Apr 3rd, 2004, 07:04 PM
MONICA SELES

DU MAURIER OPEN (Toronto, Canada)
Dates: 14th-20th August 1995
Surface: Hard, Outside
Draw: 56

Seed =1 1r bye
2r + Kimberly Po 6-0 6-3
3r + NATHALIE TAUZIAT (12) 6-2 6-2
qf + ANKE HUBER (7) 6-3 6-2
sf + GABRIELA SABATINI (6) 6-1 6-0
f + Amanda Coetzer 6-0 6-1

--------------------
SERENA WILLIAMS

NASDAQ 100 Open 2004
Seed =1

1r bye
2r Marta Marrero 6-1 6-0
3r Elena Likhovtseva 6-1 4-6 6-3
4r Maria Sharapova 6-4 6-3
qf Jill Craybas 6-0 6-1
sf Eleni Danilidou 6-4 6-4
f Elena Dementieva 6-1 6-1

Yonge
Apr 3rd, 2004, 07:11 PM
Yes, great accomplishments indeed! I hope Monica plays at Montreal this year. Who knows, maybe she can pull-off another win.

mishar
Apr 3rd, 2004, 07:22 PM
Great of Serena to mention Monica as an inspiration!

faboozadoo15
Apr 3rd, 2004, 07:24 PM
lest we not forget that they are also the two greatest...
at just abt everything

Kabezya
Apr 3rd, 2004, 08:08 PM
What a great achievement for both.

hingis-seles
Apr 3rd, 2004, 08:31 PM
:bowdown: Monica :bowdown:

:yeah: Serena :yeah:

ktwtennis
Apr 4th, 2004, 01:36 AM
Yes, very nice of Serena to mention Mon...

rfs1999
Apr 4th, 2004, 01:55 AM
Go Monica!

Spirit
Apr 4th, 2004, 03:40 AM
On the way to the title, Serena beat two Elenas and a Eleni.

Someday, there will be a tournament champion who plays no one but Elenas the whole way.

DA FOREHAND
Apr 4th, 2004, 04:56 PM
MONICA SELES

DU MAURIER OPEN (Toronto, Canada)
Dates: 14th-20th August 1995
Surface: Hard, Outside
Draw: 56

Seed =1 1r bye
2r + Kimberly Po 6-0 6-3
3r + NATHALIE TAUZIAT (12) 6-2 6-2
qf + ANKE HUBER (7) 6-3 6-2
sf + GABRIELA SABATINI (6) 6-1 6-0
f + Amanda Coetzer 6-0 6-1

--------------------
SERENA WILLIAMS

NASDAQ 100 Open 2004
Seed =1

1r bye
2r Marta Marrero 6-1 6-0
3r Elena Likhovtseva 6-1 4-6 6-3
4r Maria Sharapova 6-4 6-3
qf Jill Craybas 6-0 6-1
sf Eleni Danilidou 6-4 6-4
f Elena Dementieva 6-1 6-1

I'd say about the same strength of draw....come to think of it Monica's run to the AO title didn't have a tough draw either.

Experimentee
Apr 4th, 2004, 05:04 PM
Serena and Monica :worship:

To think people were writing Serena off before she even hit a ball, saying the Williams era is over, etc :lol:

fan911
Apr 4th, 2004, 05:13 PM
I'd say about the same strength of draw....

Excuse me? Obviously you know nothing about tennis.

You are comparing Nathalie Tauziat, Anke Huber, Gabriela Sabatini & Amanda Coetzer to Likhovtseva, Sharapova, Eleni Danilidou & Dementieva? Please, go look at the stats and you'll see that Monica's opponents are superior in EVERY way and have accomplished A LOT more. Also they have all had incredible careers for at least 10 years each. Serena's opponents are several levels lower.

And in addition to have played superior players, add the fact that Steffi Graf, Mary Pierce, Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario were all entered at the Canadian Open, also the fact that Monica's scores were much more impressive then Serena's, and that Monica was out of the game for 27 months, and you'll see that Monica's title win OUTLCASSES Serena's by at least 5 to 1.

But of course, I wouldn't have expected anything else from a Steffi Graf fan. :rolleyes:

DA FOREHAND
Apr 4th, 2004, 05:23 PM
Excuse me? Obviously you know nothing about tennis.

You are comparing Nathalie Tauziat, Anke Huber, Gabriela Sabatini & Amanda Coetzer to Likhovtseva, Sharapova, Eleni Danilidou & Dementieva? Please, go look at the stats and you'll see that Monica's opponents are superior in EVERY way and have accomplished A LOT more. Also they have all had incredible careers for at least 10 years each. Serena's opponents are several levels lower.

And in addition to have played superior players, add the fact that Steffi Graf, Mary Pierce, Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario were all entered at the Canadian Open, also the fact that Monica's scores were much more impressive then Serena's, and that Monica was out of the game for 27 months, and you'll see that Monica's title win OUTLCASSES Serena's by at least 5 to 1.

But of course, I wouldn't have expected anything else from a Steffi Graf fan. :rolleyes: Yes as far as talent yes not much better , or course those old broads have had better careers up to this point...96 A.O. wasn't a very tough draw for Monica... :wavey:

mishar
Apr 4th, 2004, 05:33 PM
Come to think of it, Steffi Graf didn't have any tough draws after April 93

DA FOREHAND
Apr 4th, 2004, 06:00 PM
Come to think of it, Steffi Graf didn't have any tough draws after April 93
You're right...she was just that good...

JonBcn
Apr 4th, 2004, 06:14 PM
Not be pedantic, but its not so unique if they both did it. ;)

MisterQ
Apr 4th, 2004, 06:17 PM
Not be pedantic, but its not so unique if they both did it. ;)

That occurred to me, but I figured no one would be that pedantic. ;)

VivalaSeles
Apr 4th, 2004, 06:17 PM
You're right...she was just that good...
Was she ? You seem to contradict yourself :rolleyes: She did play the Canadian Open :rolleyes: If Monica won over a weak draw and Steffi lost ... hmmm ... was she that good ? Or are you just plain W-R-O-N-G :p

JonBcn
Apr 4th, 2004, 06:35 PM
That occurred to me, but I figured no one would be that pedantic. ;)
There'll always be one ;)

MisterQ
Apr 4th, 2004, 06:40 PM
:)

vs1
Apr 4th, 2004, 06:46 PM
Monica AND Serena are two of the best tennis legends in HISTORY!! I'm not surprised that they were both talented enough to achieve this amazing feat!!! :worship: :worship: :worship:

CONGRATS BABYGIRL!!! :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

DA FOREHAND
Apr 4th, 2004, 07:05 PM
Was she ? You seem to contradict yourself :rolleyes: She did play the Canadian Open :rolleyes: If Monica won over a weak draw and Steffi lost ... hmmm ... was she that good ? Or are you just plain W-R-O-N-G :p
I never said it was a weak field, I said Monica didn't have a tough draw... You can have a strong field and still get an easy draw...see Kim, and Martina Hingis.

VivalaSeles
Apr 5th, 2004, 02:41 AM
Well, what happened to the strong field ? They lost to the players on Monica's weak draw ? Perhaps the players on Monica's draw are not that weak then.

Rollo
Apr 5th, 2004, 04:26 AM
Lets just give credit to both women:bounce:

This isn't a totally unique experience though. A few women before the open era managed it-Helen Wills won her first event back in 1935 after being gone almost two years-she then left the game AGAIN for 3 years and came back to win her first event in 1938. Both times she also won Wimbledon :eek:

hingis-seles
Apr 5th, 2004, 04:47 AM
I never said it was a weak field, I said Monica didn't have a tough draw... You can have a strong field and still get an easy draw...see Kim, and Martina Hingis.
Monica played Gaby Sabatini....a GS champion. Did Serena? :confused:

Monica played 2 Top-10 players.....one more than Serena.

I wouldn't say same strength of draw if I were you.

R&J
Apr 5th, 2004, 05:03 AM
it's great that Serena can share a record with the great Monica Seles...i'm happy cuz they are two of my ultimate faves :D
And what great choices you did pick, for your ultimate faves! :yeah:
Way to go Serena! Cant wait to have you back Monica!

R&J
Apr 5th, 2004, 05:04 AM
Monica AND Serena are two of the best tennis legends in HISTORY!! I'm not surprised that they were both talented enough to achieve this amazing feat!!! :worship: :worship: :worship:

CONGRATS BABYGIRL!!! :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:
Great post! :wavey:

Sam L
Apr 5th, 2004, 06:10 AM
LOL Apples and oranges really. I mean come on! It wasn't like Serena was stabbed at the 2002 Wimbledon and has been out of the game for all that time, and this is her first tournament back. :shrug:

Monica_Rules
Apr 5th, 2004, 11:58 AM
Well it was a nice threda to see this mentioned then someone had to get on their high horase and say

'Oh no shes better'

All this argument is getting quite tiresome.Grow up children.

DA FOREHAND
Apr 5th, 2004, 01:45 PM
Monica played Gaby Sabatini....a GS champion. Did Serena? :confused:

Monica played 2 Top-10 players.....one more than Serena.

I wouldn't say same strength of draw if I were you.
OOPS TOO LATE

"Sluggy"
Apr 5th, 2004, 01:50 PM
Monica looks really cute in that picture.

power26
Apr 5th, 2004, 01:56 PM
:worship: MONICA :worship:
:worship: SERENA :worship:
:worship: VENUS :worship:
:worship: LINDSAY :worship:
YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH ..........

OUT!
Apr 5th, 2004, 02:04 PM
Lets just give credit to both women:bounce:

This isn't a totally unique experience though. A few women before the open era managed it-Helen Wills won her first event back in 1935 after being gone almost two years-she then left the game AGAIN for 3 years and came back to win her first event in 1938. Both times she also won Wimbledon :eek:Wow! You know your tennis. Congrats Serena, not surprised she won easily at all. But as others have said, the real test will be against the Belgians (or should I say Justine?).

Bероника
Apr 5th, 2004, 02:28 PM
2 wonderful champions

:worship: MONICA :worship:
:worship: SERENA :worship:

Kart
Apr 5th, 2004, 02:51 PM
It was nice that in her post-match TV interview she said had looked to Monica's 1995 win as inspiration.
That was nice, Serena and Monica are great champions :).

azza
Apr 5th, 2004, 04:22 PM
Monica betters serenas dismal performance.

razzponic
Apr 5th, 2004, 04:36 PM
All I can say is Monica is the greatest!:worship: