PDA

View Full Version : Do you think Elena is lying about not being Embarrassed? Should she be?

Ballbuster
Apr 3rd, 2004, 06:30 PM
1. She got snuffed out in 50 minutes

2. She lost the most lopsided final ever at Nasdaq.

3. More importantly, she had no serve after saying against Venus that a serve does not win games.

Personally, I would be ashamed to have to eat my words like that.

A'DAM
Apr 3rd, 2004, 06:31 PM
C'mon she get till Tier I final!!! Once again C'mon
Its a big succes!!!

WhatTheDeuce
Apr 3rd, 2004, 06:33 PM
I would be. Gets to a Tier 1 final in a huge stadium and serves like a 4 year old. I don't blame her for being embarassed. She should be.

Wojtek
Apr 3rd, 2004, 06:34 PM
Her serve was awful. I hope i won't see her in the final because this final was big shit.

vettipooh
Apr 3rd, 2004, 06:36 PM
Hell,yeah,she's embarrased---and I don't see her defending Amelia Island!!!

tenn_ace
Apr 3rd, 2004, 06:37 PM
no matter what we say here, she was embarassed...

Dawn Marie
Apr 3rd, 2004, 06:42 PM
Hell yeah she was embarrASSed! Any human being who got thrashed on national television while playing the most important tourney would be, not to mention that Serena has been out for 8 months. HAHAHAHAHAH:)Breadsticks... HAHAHAHAH.

I am glad that Elena was the one chosen to get the worst beating ever in this tourney.

Ballbuster
Apr 3rd, 2004, 06:44 PM
It what she said after beating Venus. "Serve don't win matches" Now after being trounced by Serena she has to eat humble pie.

tennnisfannn
Apr 3rd, 2004, 06:48 PM
I think the occassion got to her. She has never been in a final of such a big event.She had just beaten Venus and probably felt some weight of expectation: Serena was back from injury and therefore beatable. Maybe she began to think it possible and that freaked her out. Elena was probably mentally tired after that match against venus.
Should she e embarassed, maybe my dear Venus feels te same.
this match up could reflect any of the following:
1.Serena is better than what people think she is now. Tis a bit difficult to say coz Elena was the highest ranked player she played but does that mean Serena is way off. Maybe people are judgiing her by Venus. She doesn't have to do it the way venus did it.
2.Venus is still playing way below par. This match up reflects more on Venus than it does Elena
3. elena just had a bad day, like mauresmo had in the YEC finals, likeVenus had against hingis AO 2001, when seles lost to hingis love and love

CC
Apr 3rd, 2004, 06:51 PM
I can't believe I missed it. Did she put up a fight at all? Or was it like, total demolition?

Vass22
Apr 3rd, 2004, 06:56 PM
1. She got snuffed out in 50 minutes

2. She lost the most lopsided final ever at Nasdaq.

3. More importantly, she had no serve after saying against Venus that a serve does not win games.

Personally, I would be ashamed to have to eat my words like that.

And you call yourself a Williams FAN?! You didn't want a victory of Serena as itself. You wanted to choke Elena in the dirt. You could've shouted "Lose Elena lose" and not "Serena win".

And is Elena humbled: You wish. If she keeps on making those so-called "offensive" remarks, she's not.

Vass22
Apr 3rd, 2004, 06:58 PM
I can't believe I missed it. Did she put up a fight at all? Or was it like, total demolition?
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: The latter. Lena won anly 1 of 28 second serves. Should've served only 1st serves.

Kabezya
Apr 3rd, 2004, 07:02 PM
Probably not.

Ballbuster
Apr 3rd, 2004, 07:37 PM
And you call yourself a Williams FAN?! You didn't want a victory of Serena as itself. You wanted to choke Elena in the dirt. You could've shouted "Lose Elena lose" and not "Serena win".

You are wrong. But i wouldn't mind watching.....substitute Elena for Justine though.

CC
Apr 3rd, 2004, 08:39 PM
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: The latter. Lena won anly 1 of 28 second serves. Should've served only 1st serves.
Thank you, that is a little sad.

jbone_0307
Apr 3rd, 2004, 08:41 PM
Hell yeah. Elena played horrible and just imagine if Serena didn't have the rust and her footwork was better. She could have been double bageled :yikes:

vogus
Apr 4th, 2004, 08:21 AM
Lena doesn't care, and you can be sure she is going to continue to talk trash about the Williams sisters at every opportunity. She's just really cocky towards the sisters, thinks she's better than they are. And at least against Venus, she proved it.

Jakeev
Apr 4th, 2004, 09:07 AM
Although I doubt Elena thought she would get so drubbed, she did at least know what she was getting herself into.

Elena still has a lot to learn about her game. Not sure if she ever will be a major challenger to Serena but she knows she can beat a Williams. If she does not want these kinds of losses, she is gonna have to work harder at it.

Mateo Mathieu
Apr 4th, 2004, 09:15 AM
She doesn't care about her serve so, you should do the same. She reached couple of finals with that serve and you shouldn't making fun of her.

Being a tennis professional player doesn't mean you have to hit really hard or whatever you think it is. She should be proud of what she did in the tournament.

Jakeev
Apr 4th, 2004, 09:32 AM
She doesn't care about her serve so, you should do the same. She reached couple of finals with that serve and you shouldn't making fun of her.

Being a tennis professional player doesn't mean you have to hit really hard or whatever you think it is. She should be proud of what she did in the tournament.
That's a cop out of a statement if I have heard one. This is a different time and era in women's tennis and to be a great player you have to have a decent serve.

If Elena wants to win bigger tournaments or even Grand Slams, she is gonna have to work on her flaws.

tennisjunky
Apr 4th, 2004, 09:42 AM

Of course she should be proud but all the champions strive to be the best they can be. Her obvious weakness is her serve so shouldn't that then be priority number one? If she's serious about being a top player it would be. It actually does her more harm to acheive what she has with that serve because she has the false belief that her serve is good enough, and she must beleive that if she hasn't taken strides to improve it after all these years. If she is satisfied and doesn't mind not living up to her potential then she doesn't need to change, but if she doesn't want to get blown apart to a million peices in the finals against a top player then she needs to continue to improve and it is time to put in the hard work.

cheo23
Apr 4th, 2004, 10:01 AM
HMMMMMMMM...My Opinion is Elena Dementieva has Reached Finals & won...She beat Lindsay that man at the Amelia Island tournament last Year whats it called Oh the Basuch & Lomb..she served kinda okay...and she reached the Olympic Final against Venus but losin to Venus......I think Serena was just RED HOT today..she probably practiced with Venus's 2nd SERve the day before and had a Great workout..LOL..Go SERENA!!!!!!!!!!! WE Love U! she was almost perfect with winnin all the 2nd SERVes from Elena except 1..Poor Elena! lol

tennisjunky
Apr 4th, 2004, 10:18 AM
Serena probably practiced with Venus's 2nd SERve the day before and had a Great workout
:lol: :lol: :lol:

bandabou
Apr 4th, 2004, 11:38 AM
Only goes to show that works against Venus, doesnīt even come close against Serena.

Ryan
Apr 4th, 2004, 03:30 PM
To Elena's "credit" her serve wasn't the only thing that lost her this match. She played horrendous on all accounts and if she had hit her groundies like she did against Venus, she would have made it a closer match.

SpikeyAidanm
Apr 4th, 2004, 03:34 PM
No way should she be embarrassed, if anything her 7-6, 6-3 loss to #250 something ranked panova at the Tokyo TPP would make her more humiliated than a 6-1, 6-1 loss to a 6 time Grand Slam champion who has not lost a match since RO 2003.

bandabou
Apr 4th, 2004, 03:36 PM
To Elena's "credit" her serve wasn't the only thing that lost her this match. She played horrendous on all accounts and if she had hit her groundies like she did against Venus, she would have made it a closer match.

You canīt hit groundies if youīre getting the returns at your feet before you even finish your serving motion.

bandabou
Apr 4th, 2004, 03:38 PM
No way should she be embarrassed, if anything her 7-6, 6-3 loss to #250 something ranked panova at the Tokyo TPP would make her more humiliated than a 6-1, 6-1 loss to a 6 time Grand Slam champion who has not lost a match since RO 2003.

This is a serious case of: chosing your poison.

Ryan
Apr 4th, 2004, 03:39 PM
You canīt hit groundies if youīre getting the returns at your feet before you even finish your serving motion.

Serena did not hit every return at her feet. She hit several return winners, and afew right at her, but the majority were placed where Elena should have gotten the point back to neutral. She flubbed countless shots she should have made.

katrientje
Apr 4th, 2004, 03:39 PM
I can't speak for Elena, but I would be really embarrassed, even if I was playing against my friend and nobody was watching, I'd be embarrassed...
She didn't hold serve once and wasn't even close... I felt so sorry for her!
Serena didn't even have to work for it, she didn't have to try hard...

bandabou
Apr 4th, 2004, 03:44 PM
Serena did not hit every return at her feet. She hit several return winners, and afew right at her, but the majority were placed where Elena should have gotten the point back to neutral. She flubbed countless shots she should have made.

Let me tell you...Serena was breaking this girl at will. It wasnīt much about Elena. It wasnīt...Elena D just played her regular game, only she didnīt get away with it this time, because Serena was giving those second-serves what they deserved: a good old whack.

lizchris
Apr 4th, 2004, 03:46 PM
She should be embarrased.

After playing Venus the way she player her and playing Petrova the way she played her, we were told be her fans (and a couple of analysts) that Serena's movement was going to be a liability and that Elena could blow her off the court. Honestly, I didn't think Serena played as well as she could have played because she was hitting so many unforced errors, but Elena's serve (as I predicted) was so horrendous that it muted Serena's mistakes. I knew where this match was going after Elena broke serve and made three double faults for Serena to break right back and it went down hill from there.

It remains to be seen if she will defend her title at Amelia Island, but if she serves the way she served in the final, I don't expect her to reach the quarterfinal if she meets a determinted player. BTW, I still think Serena's game needs work and if she plays at AI the way she played the Nasdaq-100 final, she won't win it.

bandabou
Apr 4th, 2004, 03:59 PM
She should be embarrased.

After playing Venus the way she player her and playing Petrova the way she played her, we were told be her fans (and a couple of analysts) that Serena's movement was going to be a liability and that Elena could blow her off the court. Honestly, I didn't think Serena played as well as she could have played because she was hitting so many unforced errors, but Elena's serve (as I predicted) was so horrendous that it muted Serena's mistakes. I knew where this match was going after Elena broke serve and made three double faults for Serena to break right back and it went down hill from there.

It remains to be seen if she will defend her title at Amelia Island, but if she serves the way she served in the final, I don't expect her to reach the quarterfinal if she meets a determinted player. BTW, I still think Serena's game needs work and if she plays at AI the way she played the Nasdaq-100 final, she won't win it.

Yep...serveīs looking fine, but groundstrokes and movement still need some work to reach top level for Serena.

ys
Apr 4th, 2004, 04:26 PM
Martina Hingis def. Venus Williams 6:1, 6:1, AO 2001 ( venus being then Wimbledon and US Open champion ). Was Venus talking about embarassment? Was she embarassed?

Ballbuster
Apr 4th, 2004, 04:35 PM

"You cannot be Serious"

Elena cannot expect the tour players to say "nice match against Serena" because she know they would be lying. If anything, she can expect them to be snickering behind her back. Serena exposed her on a national level. Say what you want about the serve. Every professional knows it is the most potent weapon. Besides, you won't be out of breath hitting 4 aces in a row. You'd just be more confident against your opponents weak 63mph serve.

DA FOREHAND
Apr 4th, 2004, 04:41 PM
She obviously isn't wise enough to be embarrassed.

DA FOREHAND
Apr 4th, 2004, 04:42 PM
Martina Hingis def. Venus Williams 6:1, 6:1, AO 2001 ( venus being then Wimbledon and US Open champion ). Was Venus talking about embarassment? Was she embarassed?

Nobody asked, but I'm sure she was...She said she came to the tournament unprepared...

bandabou
Apr 4th, 2004, 04:45 PM

For sure she was emberassed....

Ryan
Apr 4th, 2004, 04:46 PM
Let me tell you...Serena was breaking this girl at will. It wasnīt much about Elena. It wasnīt...Elena D just played her regular game, only she didnīt get away with it this time, because Serena was giving those second-serves what they deserved: a good old whack.

You're delusional. Serena played a good match, but it wasn't anything spectacular. Elena played like crap, yes due to Serena's great shots but also because she just couldn't keep the ball in play. UNFORCED errors means that the other player didn't induce them. If Elena played like she did against Venus the match would have been closer.

ys
Apr 4th, 2004, 04:49 PM
You're delusional. Serena played a good match, but it wasn't anything spectacular. Elena played like crap, yes due to Serena's great shots but also because she just couldn't keep the ball in play. UNFORCED errors means that the other player didn't induce them. If Elena played like she did against Venus the match would have been closer.
No question about it. Elena was missing her bread'n'butter groundstrokes by miles. And it is not that she was really pressured by Serena. I agree with what she said in interview - due to some reason ( was it fatique, or nerves, it doesn't matter at this point ) her feet were not moving at all. That was my impression from the first minute of the match - that her biomechanics are uncharacteristically slow..

charmedRic
Apr 4th, 2004, 04:50 PM
If she isn't, then I hope she revs it up for Amelia Island or defending that crown will not happen.

bandabou
Apr 4th, 2004, 04:53 PM

Closer,closer....but she wasnīt WINNING if that is what you meant...she WASNīT gonna win against Serena. case closed.

She might have made it 6-3 6-4, but she wasnīt gonna win.

ans
Apr 4th, 2004, 05:02 PM
So from what I can read here, it was not serena playing that wel, but elena playing awful?
Interesting.

lizchris
Apr 4th, 2004, 05:11 PM
Martina Hingis def. Venus Williams 6:1, 6:1, AO 2001 ( venus being then Wimbledon and US Open champion ). Was Venus talking about embarassment? Was she embarassed?I think there are some differences here:

1) It was the beginning of the year where most players were not in the best of shape, still no excuse for Venus losing like that.

2) Venus, unlike Elena, is a proven champion, having won the big tournaments, including two Maimi tournament at the time.

3) Unike Martina then and Elena yesterday, Venus still left the 2001 AO a champion (she won the doubles title with Sernea).

bandabou
Apr 4th, 2004, 05:17 PM
So from what I can read here, it was not serena playing that wel, but elena playing awful?
Interesting.

Guess so, huh?! What else would you expect the fans to say when their fav, a top 8 player, loses 1 and 1 without holding her serve once and that to a player who hasnīt played in 8!!! months?!

Gotta try to explain it somehow.....

Giuliano
Apr 4th, 2004, 05:19 PM
I think there are some differences here:

1) It was the beginning of the year where most players were not in the best of shape, still no excuse for Venus losing like that.

2) Venus, unlike Elena, is a proven champion, having won the big tournaments, including two Maimi tournament at the time.

3) Unike Martina then and Elena yesterday, Venus still left the 2001 AO a champion (she won the doubles title with Sernea).So... if you're a "proven champion", multiple slam winner etc, you can't be embarassed if you lose 1 and 1... but if you hold 1 title (excuse me if Elena has won more. I haven't been following tennis closely lately), and lose by the same score in your first big final against the best player out there, you should be embarassed?

ans
Apr 4th, 2004, 05:21 PM
Guess so, huh?! What else would you expect the fans to say when their fav, a top 8 player, loses 1 and 1 without holding her serve once and that to a player who hasnīt played in 8!!! months?!

Gotta try to explain it somehow.....
How did serena get to the final without having played in 8!!! months?

bandabou
Apr 4th, 2004, 05:22 PM
How did serena get to the final without having played in 8!!! months?

Thanks for the correction.....in only her first tournament after 8 months. Thatīs better, huh?!

lizchris
Apr 4th, 2004, 05:24 PM
So... if you're a "proven champion", multiple slam winner etc, you can't be embarassed if you lose 1 and 1... but if you hold 1 title (excuse me if Elena has won more. I haven't been following tennis closely latelay), and lose by the same score in your first big final against the best player out there, you should be embarassed?
I am not saying that; Venus was probably embarassed, but Venus was playing in her first tournament that year, whereas Elena was playing in her second or third, I think. In addition, Venus didn't have any big upsets like Elena did and playing a person who had a long injury layoff.

ans
Apr 4th, 2004, 05:26 PM
Thanks for the correction.....in only her first tournament after 8 months. Thatīs better, huh?!
Yup.

Giuliano
Apr 4th, 2004, 05:31 PM
Venus was already one of the main seeds and had won several slams... She couldn't have had many upsets.
And why should Dementieva be embarassed to lose against Serena Williams of all people? It's not like she lost against Loeffler-Caro.

KingA
Apr 4th, 2004, 05:34 PM
Asking whether Elena should be feeling embarassed after such a poor performance or not...... I believe somewhere in her mind should be feeling this way as she was playing in the final in such a big worldwide broadcasting tennis event.......

But seriously.... shouldn't we also asked whether Venus should be feeling embarassed losing to Elena, a player that could be totally demolished by her younger sister Serena in the same tournament? (Some people might be asking "Venus Williams lost to that girl with such a bad serve??? Come on... You gotta be kidding!!!")

DA FOREHAND
Apr 4th, 2004, 06:02 PM
Venus should be too....if Elana wasn't, that doesn't bode well for her future in tennis

bandabou
Apr 4th, 2004, 06:28 PM
I think Venus IS emberassed too.

Mrs. Peel
Apr 4th, 2004, 06:46 PM
I think Venus IS emberassed too.
I'm sure Venus was embarassed...that was a day of infamy.:scared:

vs1
Apr 4th, 2004, 06:49 PM
You know, every lady goes out there and tries their best. Just from that alone, no one should be embarassed. If you're going to be, then there's no point in going out there even. Elena should NOT have been embarassed. Nor should have Venus. They both have things to work on, just like Serena does as well. We should all just respect these ladies and cheer them on and enjoy when they play. Simple as that!!!

CONGRATS BABYGIRL!!! :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

udachi Elena
Apr 4th, 2004, 07:10 PM
Why should either Venus or Elena be embarassed? Venus was outplayed, and so was Elena. Do you really think someone who made it to the final cares what other people think? Venus has been in Serena's shadow for the past year, don't you think she's adjusted to that? She probably wasn't embarassed in the first place anyways.

Knizzle
Apr 4th, 2004, 08:04 PM
Martina Hingis def. Venus Williams 6:1, 6:1, AO 2001 ( venus being then Wimbledon and US Open champion ). Was Venus talking about embarassment? Was she embarassed?I'm quite sure she was embarrassed at that match.

DA FOREHAND
Apr 5th, 2004, 01:51 PM
Why should either Venus or Elena be embarassed? Venus was outplayed, and so was Elena. Do you really think someone who made it to the final cares what other people think? Venus has been in Serena's shadow for the past year, don't you think she's adjusted to that? She probably wasn't embarassed in the first place anyways.
Yes I do think they care what other people think...Elana may be happy just to make a final, but Venus has stated several times she never intends to lose.

Vass22
Apr 5th, 2004, 02:00 PM
C'mon people! Let's drop this thread. What's it's point. Yes, it is likely that Lena lied about not being embarassed, but who the hell asks a player if he's imbarassed after such a defeat?! I'd say that the reporter outh to have more respect to a player next time.

power26
Apr 5th, 2004, 02:04 PM
:nerner: ELENA WHO? :smash: :smash: :ras: :bigcry:
:timebomb: NO MATCH PLEASSSSSSSSEEEEEEEEE!!! :p

bandabou
Apr 5th, 2004, 02:13 PM
C'mon people! Let's drop this thread. What's it's point. Yes, it is likely that Lena lied about not being embarassed, but who the hell asks a player if he's imbarassed after such a defeat?! I'd say that the reporter outh to have more respect to a player next time.

Youīre right.....the poor soul!

Ryan
Apr 5th, 2004, 02:54 PM
Closer,closer....but she wasnīt WINNING if that is what you meant...she WASNīT gonna win against Serena. case closed.

She might have made it 6-3 6-4, but she wasnīt gonna win.

Exactly. I never said Elena would win, but if she played better then the match would have been closer. And if lets say Serena's level was that of her match against Likhovsteva then Elena would have had a chance. But ifs dont do any good, so nevermind.;)

bandabou
Apr 5th, 2004, 03:16 PM
Exactly. I never said Elena would win, but if she played better then the match would have been closer. And if lets say Serena's level was that of her match against Likhovsteva then Elena would have had a chance. But ifs dont do any good, so nevermind.;)

Specially if the end-result wouldnīt have changed anyways.

DA FOREHAND
Apr 5th, 2004, 03:35 PM
The Russian, plagued by a shaky serve throughout the tournament, totaled three aces and 57 double faults in six matches. She had no aces and nine double faults against Williams, and won only one of 19 points on her second serve while losing all seven service games.

"I'm glad I lost so easy, because now I'm going to work on my serve and improve my game," Dementieva said. "I realize if I want to win a tournament, I have to be stronger. I have to play better in a final and not like today."

Not embarrassed...she's happy.

Warrior
Apr 5th, 2004, 03:39 PM
Do you want her to be embarrassed?

jojoseph
Apr 6th, 2004, 12:08 AM
The Russian, plagued by a shaky serve throughout the tournament, totaled three aces and 57 double faults in six matches. She had no aces and nine double faults against Williams, and won only one of 19 points on her second serve while losing all seven service games.

"I'm glad I lost so easy, because now I'm going to work on my serve and improve my game," Dementieva said. "I realize if I want to win a tournament, I have to be stronger. I have to play better in a final and not like today."

Not embarrassed...she's happy.
Strange comments, it's like she's in denial that it was a bad thing that she lost. Atleast she knows she's gotta improve, if she can only do just that.

She's gotta work on some drills to build up the confidence on her serve, most definitely.

the cat
Apr 6th, 2004, 12:21 AM
Well said ys. I don't think Elena was embarrased by her performance in the 2004 Nasdaq-100 Open final against Serena Williams. I have never seen Elena miss so badly off the ground and that absolutely shocked me! :eek:

Serendy Willick
Apr 6th, 2004, 12:23 AM

I saw the match, and Dementieva still would've been in a defensive position even if she would've gotten the ball back. Serena would've controlled the rallies.

Ballbuster
Apr 6th, 2004, 12:25 AM
Do you want her to be embarrassed?

Hell Yeah!

and I don't have to explain myself - read the board.

Serendy Willick
Apr 6th, 2004, 12:26 AM
Interesting.
All of her fans make that excuse after getting that ass waxed.:rolleyes:

Rocketta
Apr 6th, 2004, 12:28 AM
Look should any player be embarrased if they went out on court and played hard even if they played like shit. NO So should Elena be embarrased because of that. NO However, her behavior after matches well that's up for debate.;)

Black Mamba.
Apr 6th, 2004, 12:34 AM
If she's not embarassed she should be. It's one thing to get smoked like that, but it's another when you talk crap about your opponent's sister and you don't even put up a fight.

jojoseph
Apr 6th, 2004, 12:40 AM
I don't think Elena was embarrased by her performance in the 2004 Nasdaq-100 Open final against Serena Williams.
lol which 2004 Nasdaq-100 Open final performance are you referring to, cat?