PDA

View Full Version : Who thought Elena had a chance?

henree
Apr 3rd, 2004, 05:12 PM
I can't believe that the past few days people thought Elena actually had a chance. I knew for 100% certainty that Serena would roll over either Russian that made it to the final. Ooohhhhh well I hope Serena has a good injury free year.

WtaTour4Ever
Apr 3rd, 2004, 05:12 PM
Call me crazy but I thought she had a chance based on her win over Venus, but I guess this just showcases the gap between Serena and Venus at this point.

Stefwhit
Apr 3rd, 2004, 05:18 PM
I think you'd have to be crazy to honestly think Elena stood a chance based on her form coming into the final. Her serving has been subpar the whole tournament it was pretty much a no brainer how this would turn out. Now if Elena had more control of her serve during this tournament then it would have been much more of a matchup both on paper and in actuality...

Dava
Apr 3rd, 2004, 05:20 PM
I think based on her performacen over the week she has a shot. I didnt think she would win, but then I didnt thinks he would have made the final when I saw her draw two weeks ago, I just though she had a shot at doing well.

GoDominique
Apr 3rd, 2004, 05:22 PM
I thought she would have a chance. But I also thought that she would try. So I was wrong twice. :(

"Topaz"
Apr 3rd, 2004, 05:27 PM
- Who thought Elena had a chance? -

Maybe YS, Justinefan and countless of others. But that's Ok; one should support his/her fave. Elena did have some brilliant groundstrokes and even broke Rena twice despite the good serves. Once Dementieva fixes up her serve, she can be a real force in the tour.

Meanwhile, congrats Rena! 61-61! You were awesome out there.

XaDavK_Kapri
Apr 3rd, 2004, 05:29 PM
Elena is a good player. She has very solid groundstrokes and when she's not making too many mistakes, she has a chance. Today, her serve was awful and she just didn't try and fight... She could have done way better.

Tratree
Apr 3rd, 2004, 05:58 PM
Well, I thought the Elena who played Venus at least had a chance. I'm not sure who that mess was who showed up today. Serena's serving really was masterful, but even with that Elena broke her twice. Even with her horrible serving, if Elena had been hitting her groundies like she did against Venus, we would have had a match. She was no where near that level today. And she was such a freak about her serve that she didn't even try to whiff it in on the second serve....which is a direct result of Serena's superior returning skills and ability to tee off. I really think if she would have whiffed some of those second in she might have had a chance in the point against Serena as it has been evident Serena doesn't like off-pace balls. You could tell the lack of confidence or complete embarassment of her serving disaster wreaked havoc with the rest of her game. I hope Elena and Olga take this as a HUGE lesson and get to work on that serve.

Vass22
Apr 3rd, 2004, 06:00 PM
She always had a chance. Can some non-angryu fan please explain this to me? What is more important for you guys: the fact that SERENA WON, of the fact that DEMENTIEVA LOST?

bandabou
Apr 3rd, 2004, 06:02 PM
She always had a chance. Can some non-angryu fan please explain this to me? What is more important for you guys: the fact that SERENA WON, of the fact that DEMENTIEVA LOST?

Donīt backpaddle now....you said Serena was gonna struggle this and that. Remember?! So where was the struggle?!

harloo
Apr 3rd, 2004, 06:03 PM
YS, Justinefan

This are the two who really felt that Serena would be defeated. She would get injured, she would serve poorly, she had not played great matches. etc.

Elena is good off the ground, but the serve is atrocious and I knew once she got to an intimidating player like Serena her serve would crumble.

And honestly whoever thought that the match against Venus was great has to be smoking something. I thought the match was horrible. Venus could not even keep a ball in the court, and Elena was living off of Venus poor play.

bandabou
Apr 3rd, 2004, 06:05 PM
:lol: :rolls: Serena was gonna struggle with the second serve, this and that....1 of 19 points won by Elena on the second serve! DAAANNGGG!1

Tratree
Apr 3rd, 2004, 06:06 PM
Venus could not even keep a ball in the court, and Elena was living off of Venus poor play.I could say the exact same for today's match, so if anyone says Serena played an incredible match they're full of it, right?

btw, I'm just playing devil's advocate. I'm not particularly a Serena fan or a Dementieva fan....just discussing tennis.

Rocketta
Apr 3rd, 2004, 06:10 PM
but I don't think I saw anyone say they think Serena played an incredible match? :confused: Although I haven't read all the threads yet.

harloo
Apr 3rd, 2004, 06:10 PM
I could say the exact same for today's match, so if anyone says Serena played an incredible match they're full of it, right?Tratree, I will agree that Serena did not really have to do anything but return well and hold her serve, part of that is that Serena is a very intimidating player and champion.

Now Venus use to have that, but now has reverted. Venus could not even serve right or do anything for that matter. I could not believe it, but that gave Elena alot of confidence and easy points. She did not have to really defend. Usually Venus has her opponents on the defensive, but she played passive and Elena is good off the ground. Her groundstrokes are very good so that gave her the edge.

bandabou
Apr 3rd, 2004, 06:11 PM
Nope Serena didnīt play brilliantly 12 winners, 14 ufeīs...first time this match, but when youīre serving like that...who needs to play good?!

Mrs. Peel
Apr 3rd, 2004, 06:11 PM
I honestly thought that Elena had a chance

Tratree
Apr 3rd, 2004, 06:15 PM
Tratree, I will agree that Serena did not really have to do anything but return well and hold her serve, part of that is that Serena is a very intimidating player and champion.
Oh totally, the intimidation factor is HUGE. I think Serena is the first player in the WTA to have that big of an edge since Steffi. I guess Venus had it as well in 2000-2001. The air of invincibility is gone from her game right now, but Serena has it in spades!

bandabou
Apr 3rd, 2004, 06:32 PM
Yep...some of those dfīs were just forced, because Elena was seeing how Serena was stepping in.

Vass22
Apr 3rd, 2004, 06:34 PM
Donīt backpaddle now....you said Serena was gonna struggle this and that. Remember?! So where was the struggle?!
Some of your fellow fans said that the only reason Elena won two games was that Serena wasn't playing tough enough in them.

Kabezya
Apr 3rd, 2004, 06:37 PM
If Elena's serve weren't so bad I think she would have had a better showing. She had some returns and shots that were impressive. Her serving didn't help her chances unless Serena made mistakes. Put in that serve and who knows what score we have.

DeDe4925
Apr 3rd, 2004, 06:40 PM
:scratch: Hmmmm, that's a toughy, but I think it would be SERENA WON, SERENA WON, SERENA WON. 6-1, 6-1. An outright ass whuppin, no matter how you wanna look at it.
Chill out Vass and eat your crow. Careful not to CHOKE!!! Don't want to repeat what Dementieva did today. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

DeDe4925
Apr 3rd, 2004, 06:41 PM
YS, Justinefan

This are the two who really felt that Serena would be defeated. She would get injured, she would serve poorly, she had not played great matches. etc.

Elena is good off the ground, but the serve is atrocious and I knew once she got to an intimidating player like Serena her serve would crumble.

And honestly whoever thought that the match against Venus was great has to be smoking something. I thought the match was horrible. Venus could not even keep a ball in the court, and Elena was living off of Venus poor play.
:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

DeDe4925
Apr 3rd, 2004, 06:45 PM
I could say the exact same for today's match, so if anyone says Serena played an incredible match they're full of it, right?

btw, I'm just playing devil's advocate. I'm not particularly a Serena fan or a Dementieva fan....just discussing tennis.
Hell, I think Serena played poorly today. Her performance was subpar, as compared to the rest of the matches she played in this tourney prior to today. But, what does that say about Elena's performance with a 6-1, 6-1 score??!! Serena didn't have to play today at all. All she needed to do was show up on the other side of the court. Which she did and ended up with a 6-1, 6-1 victory. I think Elena should be very embarrassed if she's not. It was a horrible match. But, I love the outcome. A win is a win. :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

nikita771
Apr 3rd, 2004, 06:46 PM
I have to admit that I thought that she had a chance to make it a good match. I thought that Serena would have been nervous being in the final and that Elena would be able to capitalize on her nerves. Serena proved me wrong again. She came in like a champion and played like she'd never been gone. She is amazing.:worship:

bandabou
Apr 3rd, 2004, 06:48 PM
Some of your fellow fans said that the only reason Elena won two games was that Serena wasn't playing tough enough in them.

Serena had game-points in the first game and had a foot-fault called against her and then it weak backhand....the other game, Elena had some smoking returns. Good, but not good enough...

DeDe4925
Apr 3rd, 2004, 06:51 PM
I have to admit that I thought that she had a chance to make it a good match. I thought that Serena would have been nervous being in the final and that Elena would be able to capitalize on her nerves. Serena proved me wrong again. She came in like a champion and played like she'd never been gone. She is amazing.:worship:
I never thought her nerves would be a factor. Serena has nerves of steel and confidence in spades. Plus, Serena is a fighter. The worse it gets for her, the better she plays. If Elena had served better, I think it would have been a better match. But, Serena never really had to up her game in this match. All she had to do was stand there.

"Topaz"
Apr 3rd, 2004, 07:23 PM
I never thought her nerves would be a factor. Serena has nerves of steel and confidence in spades. Plus, Serena is a fighter. The worse it gets for her, the better she plays. If Elena had served better, I think it would have been a better match. But, Serena never really had to up her game in this match. All she had to do was stand there.Right on! (except for the "stand there")

Ballbuster
Apr 3rd, 2004, 07:51 PM
I thought Serena might struggle since she wasn't match tested. I did not think I would get to enjoy a another one sided clobbering so soon.

CC
Apr 3rd, 2004, 08:01 PM
So it was mostly her serve then. How was her "spirit?" Couldn't that have helped her somehow? :confused:

bandabou
Apr 3rd, 2004, 08:03 PM
So it was mostly her serve then. How was her "spirit?" Couldn't that have helped her somehow? :confused:

That too....she wanted to win this match. After she got broken in the first game, she was MAAADDDD!!! and that carried on to the next 11 games. Plus she was really teeing off that second-serve....it was boom bam.

Stefwhit
Apr 3rd, 2004, 11:11 PM
When I say that I really didn't expect it to be close, don't dismiss that as me not acknowledging Elena's skills which were, at least, good enough to get her to the final. A few people thought it would be closer because of her match with Venus, but that's the same match I used to guess that Serena would take her out easily. I just thought that Serena would be extremely opportunistic in fully taking advantage of all the wholes in Elena's service game. On top of that, I know that Serena has been serving really good, so I figured she'd hold more often than not. I couldn't see where Elena was going to win games if her serve is broke, and Serena is serving extremly well- so based on the play that brought them to the finals I saw Serena taking the match pretty easy. To be honest, I actually thought Petrova would be a real challenge for Serena, so when Elena beat her I was a lot more confident.

bandabou
Apr 3rd, 2004, 11:25 PM
But the juggernaut was too juggernauting.

Cybelle Darkholme
Apr 3rd, 2004, 11:31 PM
Call me crazy but I thought she had a chance based on her win over Venus, but I guess this just showcases the gap between Serena and Venus at this point.
that venus elena match showcased to players with problems. Elena's serve and venus lack of match play and sloppy second serve.

That match was anyone's to win or lose and elena got lucky and venus didn't.

I knew serena would mop the floor with elena just like justine would have.

now that clay is coming we will see what happens. elenas groundgame is top ten the serve???? no. net? im not sure i hardly see her there.

mykarma
Apr 4th, 2004, 12:13 AM
Can you explain, why it matters?

udachi Elena
Apr 4th, 2004, 01:44 AM
Anybody that watched the match today could see that Serena brought her A-game and Elena didn't. Not to discredit Serena, she played a great match! Definitely a successful comeback. but this is not the Elena we've seen throughout the week. She was definitely tired. It seemed as though she didn't care.

moo_ont
Apr 4th, 2004, 04:01 AM
udachi Elena, did you see the match Elena vs. Nadia or Elena vs. Dokic? How were they playing?

udachi Elena
Apr 4th, 2004, 04:07 AM
udachi Elena, did you see the match Elena vs. Nadia or Elena vs. Dokic? How were they playing?
I didn't see Elena vs. Nadia, but i saw nadia play today, and besides being a disaster at the net, she played very well. Great serving! Nadia serves very well! I saw Elena vs. Dokic, and of all the Dokic matches i've seen, that's the best she played. She was very strong in the first set, both were playing well, the last two sets, Elena dominated, but I thought Dokic was still playing pretty decent, she was hitting solid shots. Besides Serena vs. Venus, one of the loudest matches I've seen! :lol:

moo_ont
Apr 4th, 2004, 04:09 AM
Thanks udachi Elena. :wavey:

udachi Elena
Apr 4th, 2004, 04:10 AM
Thanks udachi Elena. :wavey:
No problem :D

LindsayRocks89
Apr 4th, 2004, 04:16 AM
i always knew Serena would win but thought it would have been more of a challenge

Bright Red
Apr 4th, 2004, 04:24 AM
Tratree, I will agree that Serena did not really have to do anything but return well and hold her serve, part of that is that Serena is a very intimidating player and champion.

Now Venus use to have that, but now has reverted. Venus could not even serve right or do anything for that matter. I could not believe it, but that gave Elena alot of confidence and easy points.
Wow. I couldn't have said it better myself. The players no longer fear Venus, and I think that's a huge part of why top players dominate and why Venus is struggling so much these days. I seriously doubt that Venus will ever again become as intimidating as Serena. And although I strongly believe that Venus' performance will greatly improve, she'll have to work much harder than Little Sis to get the same results because no one's afraid of her anymore.

Excuse my digression.

tennisjunky
Apr 4th, 2004, 06:50 AM
Well, I thought the Elena who played Venus at least had a chance. I'm not sure who that mess was who showed up today. Serena's serving really was masterful, but even with that Elena broke her twice. Even with her horrible serving, if Elena had been hitting her groundies like she did against Venus, we would have had a match. She was no where near that level today. And she was such a freak about her serve that she didn't even try to whiff it in on the second serve....which is a direct result of Serena's superior returning skills and ability to tee off. I really think if she would have whiffed some of those second in she might have had a chance in the point against Serena as it has been evident Serena doesn't like off-pace balls. You could tell the lack of confidence or complete embarassment of her serving disaster wreaked havoc with the rest of her game. I hope Elena and Olga take this as a HUGE lesson and get to work on that serve.
Honestly, there was more of difference in the opponent she faced today with Serena than there was with her level of play. The level of play during her match with Venus wouldn't have been good enough to make a competitive match with Serena. The fact is in order for this to have been a good match the Elena would have needed to elevate her service game, which she didn't. I disagree when you say that her level of play was so off from the Venus match because she played bad during that match. It's just that facing Venus, she was playing an opponent who was playing worse. Sort of like today except the difference in their levels of play was bigger than the difference between Venus and Elena, with Serena being the better player.

bandabou
Apr 4th, 2004, 10:02 AM
Anybody that watched the match today could see that Serena brought her A-game and Elena didn't. Not to discredit Serena, she played a great match! Definitely a successful comeback. but this is not the Elena we've seen throughout the week. She was definitely tired. It seemed as though she didn't care.

Well when my serve is getting broken at well, I would stop caring too!

bandabou
Apr 4th, 2004, 10:05 AM
Honestly, there was more of difference in the opponent she faced today with Serena than there was with her level of play. The level of play during her match with Venus wouldn't have been good enough to make a competitive match with Serena. The fact is in order for this to have been a good match the Elena would have needed to elevate her service game, which she didn't. I disagree when you say that her level of play was so off from the Venus match because she played bad during that match. It's just that facing Venus, she was playing an opponent who was playing worse. Sort of like today except the difference in their levels of play was bigger than the difference between Venus and Elena, with Serena being the better player.

Exactly....in fact she had the same amount of dfīs as against Venus, but this time Serena didnīt even them out like Venus did. Venus was serving patheticly against Dementieva, so thatīs why Elena was in the match.

Against Serena...Serena served waayyy better than Venus and returned even better too. Against Venus, Elena was winning 40 % of the points on her second serves...heck, she even won the match with a second serve.

serena totally destroyed that second-serve and then it is bye bye Elena.

Veritas
Apr 4th, 2004, 10:31 AM
but I don't think I saw anyone say they think Serena played an incredible match? :confused: Although I haven't read all the threads yet.

That's because most fans have been stomping all over Elena and making fun of her, her family and Russians in general.

bandabou
Apr 4th, 2004, 10:48 AM
That's because most fans have been stomping all over Elena and making fun of her, her family and Russians in general.

The same way she made fun of Venus on wednesday.

Jackson.
Apr 4th, 2004, 10:49 AM
Elena did have a chance, she will always have a chance
She just didn't play well, end of story

:sad:

bandabou
Apr 4th, 2004, 10:55 AM
Elena did have a chance, she will always have a chance
She just didn't play well, end of story

:sad:

Never had chance..just like she never had a chance at wimbledon. No one with a serve soooo bad, is gonna beat Serena.

Jackson.
Apr 4th, 2004, 11:00 AM
Then how did Hingis beat her? :tape:

bandabou
Apr 4th, 2004, 11:05 AM
Then how did Hingis beat her? :tape:

Because Hingis is a muuuuuuuucccchhhhhhhhh better player than Hingis....and she got Serena earlier in her career.

Jackson.
Apr 4th, 2004, 11:30 AM
But still, if Elena plays even near 100%, there isn't anyone who can stop her

(providing they don't play to 100% :p)

bandabou
Apr 4th, 2004, 11:35 AM
But still, if Elena plays even near 100%, there isn't anyone who can stop her

(providing they don't play to 100% :p)

:lol: No one outside of the top 50, yeah. :lol:

Pureracket
Apr 4th, 2004, 12:56 PM
Then how did Hingis beat her? :tape:Hingis' serve was better than Elena's.

Veritas
Apr 4th, 2004, 01:40 PM
The same way she made fun of Venus on wednesday.

Really?

What "same" way?

All I remember was Elena mentioning that Venus may have had something more behind her injury timeout.

I don't recall her dissing Venus' family, background, fans....the list just goes on, and on, and on.....

bandabou
Apr 4th, 2004, 02:07 PM
Really?

What "same" way?

All I remember was Elena mentioning that Venus may have had something more behind her injury timeout.

I don't recall her dissing Venus' family, background, fans....the list just goes on, and on, and on.....

well, I didnīt diss none of those people. Just glad that Serena shoved that serve down Elenaīs throat.