PDA

View Full Version : Why won't Dementieva work on her serve?

jenglisbe
Apr 3rd, 2004, 06:04 PM
She jokes about how bad it is, and her coach wants her to work on it, yet Elena doesn't devote time to it. Why not? Is she happy with her current ranking and doesn't care to work harder?

WtaTour4Ever
Apr 3rd, 2004, 06:04 PM
I believe she is working on it.

Happy Guy
Apr 3rd, 2004, 06:06 PM
She is working on it, it takes time, particularly if she has been using that serve since she has turned pro. Remember Justine? She serves brilliantly now, but she also took some time to work out this serve in 2002 and did suffer some bad loss.

Effects can't be seen immediately in two or three months.

jenglisbe
Apr 3rd, 2004, 06:06 PM
WTATour4Ever - Mary Carillo said today that she talked to Dementieva's coach, and the coach said she wants Elena to work on her serve but that Elena doesn't give her the time to focus on it.

WtaTour4Ever
Apr 3rd, 2004, 06:07 PM
Jen, oh ok I must have missed that. I was going by her interview where she stated she knew it was a problem and I knew she hired some one, guess she isn't giving it 100% right now. But in her defense she is still a really good player w/o a big serve, sort of a catch 20 20 or whatever the phrase is.

DEETHELICK
Apr 3rd, 2004, 06:11 PM
Well I hope Elena will give time to focus on it. Congrats to Elena on a great tournament and No. 6 in the world.

She has opportunities to go higher, but needs to work hard. And not play scared!