PDA

View Full Version : Since Serena Won - It Will Be Great For Women's Tennis

GogoGirl
Apr 3rd, 2004, 05:00 PM
Hey All,

IMO!

See - now it is really beginning to heat up on Centre Court - this spring and summer. Justine & Serena will be the match-up of the year when they first meet, indeed.

Do you all agree that Serena winning her first tourney back will only help the tour now? We remember when - Justine and the like were saying that the Sisters were bad for tennis because they won all the time. Does Justine think that she is bad for tennis, for example, since she wins all the time?

Having all the ladies back and healthy could only be great for the game of tennis, IMO.

"WAY TO GO - SERENA" "LET THE GAMES BEGIN"

bandabou
Apr 3rd, 2004, 05:03 PM
The first one since Steffi Graf to win it three times in a row and that after 8!!! months without play! Tier I title no.7! DAAANNNNGG!!

Billabong
Apr 3rd, 2004, 05:03 PM
Congrats Serena!

GogoGirl
Apr 3rd, 2004, 05:05 PM
The Miami tourney has not let me down as far as excitement goes in years.

'YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA'

Stefwhit
Apr 3rd, 2004, 05:09 PM
Serena wins her 18th consecutive match at the NASDAQ-100

Serena wins her 6th consecutive match since her come back

Serena wins her 13th consecutive match on the WTA tour.

....guess who's back in the Mickey-Fickey House- SERENA!

DEETHELICK
Apr 3rd, 2004, 05:10 PM
Congrats Serena. That serve is still a weapon, although she wasn't as nimble as she can be.

Elena, that serve was her achilles heel, she didn't hold serve once! And the UEs!

From the ground, the match was pretty even, but Elena played scared. None of the fearlessness we saw against Venus.

Serena's comeback is gona be very interesting!

Kabezya
Apr 3rd, 2004, 07:15 PM
Having all the ladies back and healthy has always been what's best for the women's game.

Brian Stewart
Apr 4th, 2004, 07:55 AM
Yep, having Serena back and in good form is a good thing, contrary to how the tennis media is trying to spin it into a negative reflection on the tour. I saw that coming a mile away. I knew if Serena won, especially if she won comfortably, they would be out in force with their "what does that say about the women's tour?" comments, conveniently ignoring the tough matches Serena had earlier, or the fact that she lives with one of the best 5 players in the world (great sparring partner), or any dropoff in Dementieva's performance level. Newsflash: when the favorite plays well, and the underdog doesn't, you get one-sided matches. On BOTH tours. It's just that one of them doesn't get every such instance held up as some sort of condemnation.

Did anyone catch the idiocy from MacAtee? He did one of those "what does it say...?" spiels about Dementieva's play in the final and her ranking. Hello! She didn't get to the top 8 by playing like that. If she played like that every day, she'd be nowhere near the top 8. (Did he even watch the match with Venus?) Maybe the networks ought to consider hiring... oh... someone that actually follows the sport.

I've always said that having a great player return and play well is a good thing. It was good when Monica did it, and it's good to see Serena do it. And it will only get better as more of the wounded warriors rejoin the fray.

Andy T
Apr 4th, 2004, 10:04 AM
What they also conveniently forget, Brian, is that Serena did not have to play any of the top 10 apart from Dementieva in this tournament. That's not taking away from a wonderful comeback in any way but just to point out that things would have been a lot tighter if she'd met, say, Capriati, Davenport or Mauresmo in the qf and the two Belgians in the sf and final rounds.

With Serena back and Justine on top form we can look forward to a fantastic spring with the reigning queen trying to keep her throne against the previous queen returning from exile. The fact that this portion of the tour is on clay only adds to the excitement as it is on that surface these two are evenly matched.

bandabou
Apr 4th, 2004, 10:10 AM
But that is nothing new....Justine didnīt face a top 10 player at IW, until in the finals against Lindsay...In fact almost all the tournament victories this year have been against top 15-20 players...so donīt come play that trick here. Besides, the last two years Serena has beaten everybody at Miami anyways..

turt
Apr 4th, 2004, 11:49 AM
But that is nothing new....Justine didnīt face a top 10 player at IW, until in the finals against Lindsay...In fact almost all the tournament victories this year have been against top 15-20 players...so donīt come play that trick here. Besides, the last two years Serena has beaten everybody at Miami anyways..bandabou, Justine did face 2 top 5 in IW :rolleyes:

This year, Justine beat Kim (#2, Melbourne), Amelie (#3, Sydney), Lindsay (#4, Melbourne & IW), Nastya (#5, IW).

So she's beaten every player of the top 5, in straight sets except for Kim (but honestly she should have :p)...

Apart for Dubaï (Tier 2), Justine did have to face at least one top 5 in every tournament this year, so don't act as if Serena's brillant performances against out-of-top-20 players and Dementieva (ranked 63 in the Race for the Championships ranking!) are exactly the same as Justine's

bandabou
Apr 4th, 2004, 12:00 PM
bandabou, Justine did face 2 top 5 in IW :rolleyes:

This year, Justine beat Kim (#2, Melbourne), Amelie (#3, Sydney), Lindsay (#4, Melbourne & IW), Nastya (#5, IW).

So she's beaten every player of the top 5, in straight sets except for Kim (but honestly she should have :p)...

Apart for Dubaï (Tier 2), Justine did have to face at least one top 5 in every tournament this year, so don't act as if Serena's brillant performances against out-of-top-20 players and Dementieva (ranked 63 in the Race for the Championships ranking!) are exactly the same as Justine's

I forgot about Myskina at IW.... just saying that one shouldnīt be playing the weak-draw card for this Serena win, because the whole Belgian-domination BEGAN due to weak-draws. Or am I mistaken?! Anyone really believes that al those summer hardcourt events would have been won by the Belgians with a healthy Serena and Venus playing?!Serena played a nice tournament in her come-back. Nobody crowned her as the best player, we all know the real tests are still ahead.

P.s.: The same player ranked 63 in the champions race nearly beat Justine twice last year...

turt
Apr 4th, 2004, 12:09 PM
I forgot about Myskina at IW.... just saying that one shouldnīt be playing the weak-draw card for this Serena win, because the whole Belgian-domination BEGAN due to weak-draws. Or am I mistaken?! Anyone really believes that al those summer hardcourt events would have been won by the Belgians with a healthy Serena and Venus playing?!Serena played a nice tournament in her come-back. Nobody crowned her as the best player, we all know the real tests are still ahead.

P.s.: The same player ranked 63 in the champions race nearly beat Justine twice last year...Well, as far as I know, apart from Serena and Venus, the other top players were healthy during the summer hardcourt season. Who knows what would have happened "if"?

Anyway, the only thing I'm trying to say here is you're wrong when you say "Nobody crowned Serena as the best player", because a lot of people on this board did. Maybe she is, but I want to see her beat all the top 5 before I admit Serena's the best (I don't think I'll have to ;) ). Until there, Justine is still the best thing since sliced bread :p

BTW Elena wasn't the same player as she is now, neither was Justine...

bandabou
Apr 4th, 2004, 12:16 PM
Well, as far as I know, apart from Serena and Venus, the other top players were healthy during the summer hardcourt season. Who knows what would have happened "if"?

Anyway, the only thing I'm trying to say here is you're wrong when you say "Nobody crowned Serena as the best player", because a lot of people on this board did. Maybe she is, but I want to see her beat all the top 5 before I admit Serena's the best (I don't think I'll have to ;) ). Until there, Justine is still the best thing since sliced bread :p

But the players ranked ahead of Juju: Serena and Venus...the ones who DOMINATED the hardcourts since ī99, werenīt there. The other players were never a factor on hardcourts. Besides, Justine hasnīt even taken a set off Serena on non-clay surfaces anyway, so I donīt know what you wanna imply.

We will see whoīs the best...luckily for Justine itīs the clay-season now, but Iīll wait for judgement after wimbledon....

wongqks
Apr 4th, 2004, 12:25 PM
It is great to see Serena back :)

Now hopefully Venus and Jennifer can go back to form. Kim recover to injury and potentially we can have a great rest of year to enjoy

Hardiansf
Apr 4th, 2004, 12:47 PM
Great comeback Serena! Go get your #1 ranking then...
Venus... come on, you can joint to this competitive game now!

GogoGirl
Apr 4th, 2004, 02:16 PM
M'ning All,

You all are making some great and interesting points.

I'd like to make one before I forget. Venus has lost relatively early in her every tourney back - and this is true. She has struggled. We all know that she knows - she's struggling. She has some technique - and dare I say, injury problems. She will be the type of player to always play with some sort of nagging injury. She is an athete will always be prone to some type of injury because of her height and long legs.

Venus is not back to top form. Yet IMO - the only coaches she needs are the ones that got her to win 4 slams and a heap of titles. How many finals was she in last year? Compare her record to all others - other than Kim & Justine's - and see what we come up with.

Venus needs to improve - if she wants to start winning again - and she and her daddy knows it better than any of us. She just needs time and practice. She needs to practice her second serve - and get back like she had it that summer of 2000 and 2001. Look out! Before she arrived at that place in her career - she had had to practice - and improve this or that. That is all my girl needs to do again. I'd bet anyone big bucks that she improves and wins some tourneys this year. She just needs time - practice - and confidence.

I wouldn't count Venus out of anything - because we much remember that if a person can perform at a certain level that achieves wins and glory - then with that same hard work and drive - it can happen again. Venus is too loaded with weapons to just give up now. Besides, did Lindsay, for example, give up last year?

And for the ones that wish to bury your heads in the sand - and dis Venus by acting like she never achieved a very high level before, and was never all that - then how would one explain her accomplishments and achievements? All I'm saying is - I would never count her out - and I will always believe that she can get like she was before. There were many players that DID NOT want to face Venus as an opponent. Perhaps - most players don't fear her now when they see her name in their draw, but that's only because they know she is not playing at the level - we all now that she's capable of playing.

Venus just needs time and practice.

"I'LL BE HERE WHEN YOU TURN IT AROUND VENUS" "YOU GOT TO GREASE THOSE WHEELS FOR THE SUMMER SEASON - AND FOR WHEN YOU HOLD COURT AT WIMBY"

bandabou
Apr 4th, 2004, 02:26 PM
M'ning All,

You all are making some great and interesting points.

I'd like to make one before I forget. Venus has lost relatively early in her every tourney back - and this is true. She has struggled. We all know that she knows - she's struggling. She has some technique - and dare I say, injury problems. She will be the type of player to always play with some sort of nagging injury. She is an athete will always be prone to some type of injury because of her height and long legs.

Venus is not back to top form. Yet IMO - the only coaches she needs are the ones that got her to win 4 slams and a heap of titles. How many finals was she in last year? Compare her record to all others - other than Kim & Justine's - and see what we come up with.

Venus needs to improve - if she wants to start winning again - and she and her daddy knows it better than any of us. She just needs time and practice. She needs to practice her second serve - and get back like she had it that summer of 2000 and 2001. Look out! Before she arrived at that place in her career - she had had to practice - and improve this or that. That is all my girl needs to do again. I'd bet anyone big bucks that she improves and wins some tourneys this year. She just needs time - practice - and confidence.

I wouldn't count Venus out of anything - because we much remember that if a person can perform at a certain level that achieves wins and glory - then with that same hard work and drive - it can happen again. Venus is too loaded with weapons to just give up now. Besides, did Lindsay, for example, give up last year?

And for the ones that wish to bury your heads in the sand - and dis Venus by acting like she never achieved a very high level before, and was never all that - then how would one explain her accomplishments and achievements? All I'm saying is - I would never count her out - and I will always believe that she can get like she was before. There were many players that DID NOT want to face Venus as an opponent. Perhaps - most players don't fear her now when they see her name in their draw, but that's only because they know she is not playing at the level - we all now that she's capable of playing.

Venus just needs time and practice.

"I'LL BE HERE WHEN YOU TURN IT AROUND VENUS" "YOU GOT TO GREASE THOSE WHEELS FOR THE SUMMER SEASON - AND FOR WHEN YOU HOLD COURT AT WIMBY"

Brilliant!! :worship:

Experimentee
Apr 4th, 2004, 02:26 PM

Were you watching tennis in 2002?

GogoGirl
Apr 4th, 2004, 02:29 PM
All,

I meant - Serena - Kim & Justine have a better record than Venus's - within the last 18 months or so.

"WELCOME BACK - SERENA - THE LIONESS PRINCESS"

turt
Apr 4th, 2004, 04:27 PM
Were you watching tennis in 2002?
Serena was the best in 2002. Last time I checked it's 2004 now, and I have no indication at all that Serena is the best in 2004. If we were to talk about the past, then we should make Martina Navratilova a big favourite for the title in Amelia Island :rolleyes:

bandabou
Apr 4th, 2004, 05:19 PM
Serena was the best in 2002. Last time I checked it's 2004 now, and I have no indication at all that Serena is the best in 2004. If we were to talk about the past, then we should make Martina Navratilova a big favourite for the title in Amelia Island :rolleyes:

she was the best in 2002 AND 2003, till her injury. Donīt get it twisted.

LindsayRocks89
Apr 4th, 2004, 05:26 PM
she was the best in 2002 AND 2003, till her injury. Donīt get it twisted.

yep she was the best till her injury, and everyone knows that, i really think Serena will be a threat on clay this year and could win the french again, i mean last year at the french its not like Justine destroyed her. No she didnt, i mean Serena was playing better, but then we have the "hand" incident and the crowd(enough said) and she loses the match. I mean yeah justine is great on clay, but serena isnt to bad on it either, so we'll see who is holding the french trophy up at the beginning of june.

bandabou
Apr 4th, 2004, 05:30 PM
yep she was the best till her injury, and everyone knows that, i really think Serena will be a threat on clay this year and could win the french again, i mean last year at the french its not like Justine destroyed her. No she didnt, i mean Serena was playing better, but then we have the "hand" incident and the crowd(enough said) and she loses the match. I mean yeah justine is great on clay, but serena isnt to bad on it either, so we'll see who is holding the french trophy up at the beginning of june.

Yeah....itīs just that Justine got the tag of being clay-courter and stuff, because she plays with "touch", while the big serena Williams is just a basher, so she canīt play on clay....got it?!

Mrs. Peel
Apr 4th, 2004, 05:37 PM
Tennis needs Serena back...shes' the standard, the measuring stick. She is the reason these ladies are stronger and trying to be faster.

I'm looking forward to the return to form of Venus and Jennifer and then there is Monica and Amelie....

vandy
Apr 4th, 2004, 05:44 PM
[QUOTE=bandabou]Anyone really believes that al those summer hardcourt events would have been won by the Belgians with a healthy Serena and Venus playing?!

Maybe. Look isn't that tennis. That is how it usually happens. One player wins alot, and then someone grows to become a challenge. I don't think you put enough weight on the growth of Justine. Serena and Venus came around to beat Hingus, and perhaps the Begians developed and were to become the two that would beat the sisters. All I am saying is this could be, seems a lot of people just dismiss this as unlikely. Justine changed her style of play, she now has become a champion. Too bad for Venus as she cannot regain her form. But Serena is another story. She almost certain is going to be the biggest challenge to the Belgians in the months to come. But no one should forget that Serena must beat someone that has improved in the 16's, quarters, and semi(maybe even Venus) And then when and if that happens, she will get her chance to face the great Justine.

bandabou
Apr 4th, 2004, 06:07 PM
[QUOTE=bandabou]Anyone really believes that al those summer hardcourt events would have been won by the Belgians with a healthy Serena and Venus playing?!

Maybe. Look isn't that tennis. That is how it usually happens. One player wins alot, and then someone grows to become a challenge. I don't think you put enough weight on the growth of Justine. Serena and Venus came around to beat Hingus, and perhaps the Begians developed and were to become the two that would beat the sisters. All I am saying is this could be, seems a lot of people just dismiss this as unlikely. Justine changed her style of play, she now has become a champion. Too bad for Venus as she cannot regain her form. But Serena is another story. She almost certain is going to be the biggest challenge to the Belgians in the months to come. But no one should forget that Serena must beat someone that has improved in the 16's, quarters, and semi(maybe even Venus) And then when and if that happens, she will get her chance to face the great Justine.

Sorry....but Hingis hasnīt come close of doing what the Williamses have done on hardcourts and grass. It ainīt just one year or something...this is 5, 6 year and COUNTING that itīs only Williams you see winning hardcourt and grass events..

Of course Justine has improved and thatīs why itīs great that Serenaīs back...īcause I think that sheīs the only one that has AND the game AND the mental strength to stand-up to Justine.

spudrsca
Apr 4th, 2004, 06:49 PM
Yeah....itīs just that Justine got the tag of being clay-courter and stuff, because she plays with "touch", while the big serena Williams is just a basher, so she canīt play on clay....got it?!
Well, I think Justine is better than Serena on clay and should have won in 2 but unfortunately Justine has a tendency to drop her level after winning the first set quite easily.
She was very agressive in the first set last year against Serena and outplayed Serena but in the second set she played more neutral and let Serena take control of the rally.
Exactly the same thing happened at the AO final this year.
Everytime she wins the first set in a very impressive way, she fall asleep.
At IW, it was again the case in the beginning of the second set with many unforced errors due to a collapse of concentration:cool:

SJW
Apr 4th, 2004, 07:00 PM
when the sisters weren't playing and Henin was winning everything, her fans were saying "she can only play who is in front of her" and complaining about the "asterisks" being placed next to her wins.

now Serena has come back and won a Tier I it's "weak draw"

f*cking sh*t :)

it's not Serena's fault the world #1 and holder of three slams and the person who has won 4 titles and 22 odd matches this year refused to play in the fifth grand slam.

ps, i hear Larry Scott promises to look into that :)

bandabou
Apr 4th, 2004, 07:16 PM
Well, I think Justine is better than Serena on clay and should have won in 2 but unfortunately Justine has a tendency to drop her level after winning the first set quite easily.
She was very agressive in the first set last year against Serena and outplayed Serena but in the second set she played more neutral and let Serena take control of the rally.
Exactly the same thing happened at the AO final this year.
Everytime she wins the first set in a very impressive way, she fall asleep.
At IW, it was again the case in the beginning of the second set with many unforced errors due to a collapse of concentration:cool:

I got it...so the next time I donīt wanna hear the excuse that Justine played bad at Wimbledon....īcause obviously at RG it was all about Justine.