PDA

View Full Version : current tennis situation and the future of your country

Xian
Apr 3rd, 2004, 03:36 PM
I´ll start with Austria and analyse some players. Post your opinions about your country and the others here :wavey:

Since Babsi Schett isnt that constant anymore and the retirements of Wiesner, Paulus, Plischke and Maruska Austria´s tennis is going nowhere

Babsi Schett: :tape: She should retire soon. It´s pretty sad to see her playing qualifying matches and even loose those ones. She retired from Casablanca this week and refuses to play pro-tournaments in Austria:sad:

Babsi Schwartz: :kiss: If she wasn´t injured all the time Im sure she is a top 20 player with all her wins over top-players. Maybe she can crack the top 100 again

Sybille Bammer: :angel: Many ups and downs so far but I believe she gets into the top 100 this year. She has the game plays very aggressive and forced top 20 player Smashnova to three sets last year. When she is on nobody and I mean nobody can beat her at the Challenger level, which she showed us last year with three 25 000$ Challenger wins in a row

Patricia Wartusch: :rolleyes: she shoud concentrate on doubles. She lost in the first round of qualies in Casablanca. She will never reach the top 100 again

Evelyn Fauth: :awww: Injured since last autumn. I dont think she will be able to compete again. She should be happy to enter the top 200 again. She hasnt the game to compete with the young guns ansd with her 26 years she should retire soon

Stefanie Haidner, Nicole Remis, Nicole Melch, Bianka Kamper and Petra Russegger :banghead: are playing on the tour for years now without much success. Im giving Remis the biggest chances to break through sometimes

Sandra and Daniella Klemenschitz: ;) An excellent doubles team. Sandra maybe able to reach the top 200. Tough they are twins Daniella wont be able to make the top 300.

Yvonne Meusburger and Tina Schiechtl: :hearts: Both are good enough to get inside the top 100 in the next two years.

Daniela Kix: :o No chance. That girl is and was always overhyped. She is the only girl who gets money from the Austrian Tennis Federation. She has two coaches but wins nothing. She should start to find a new hobby

The future:
Very promising are Stefanie Rath (14) :bounce: and Tamira Paszek (13):bounce: . Rath enters the top 100 in juniors this week. Paszek is the Number 2 in Europe under 14. I really hope the achieve their aims cause otherwise I dont see other talents out there to help Austria´s tennis

Helas
Apr 3rd, 2004, 03:41 PM
Ireland Kelly Liggan is a decent doubles player and thats it really! :rolleyes:

Brαm
Apr 3rd, 2004, 03:46 PM
Belgium:
Now: :eek:
Future: :awww:

Here's an article in Dutch which sums things up :p
The future is not that bright. The only talented Belgian junior is Kirsten Flipkens :)

PointBlank
Apr 3rd, 2004, 03:55 PM
Israel

Anna Smashnova-Pistolesi - Bad year so far. She should get better in clay season.

Tzipora Obziler - Injured.

Shahar Peer - Our future and hopefully the best ranked Israeli ever by getting in top 10 :)

The rest :unsure: All Israelis (including myself) are chokers .. Thats why you never PAW them in PAW :p

*abby*
Apr 3rd, 2004, 03:56 PM
England-dont make me laugh...we are going nowhere near the top 100 lol

*abby*
Apr 3rd, 2004, 03:57 PM
we cant even get past the first round at our own grand slam :fiery:

azza
Apr 3rd, 2004, 04:00 PM
Aus:

Dellacqua
Kriz ;)
Cupac
Ferguson
Jaslyn :p haha....

bubble
Apr 3rd, 2004, 04:02 PM
I think Russia's situation is too long to state and the future is as bright as a light bulb ;) and the biggest problem they are facing is

1) Spoilt for choice in choosing who to pick for Fed Cup...

Andrew.
Apr 3rd, 2004, 04:05 PM
USA

Lindsay Davenport - Sounds strange to say that she's the top ranked American again, but I like that title. She's very steady. She beats Mauresmo handily now, but can't beat the Belgians. She'll be top 5 for the rest of her career, but that might not be for very long.

Serena Williams - Looks pretty good in her comeback. She still hasn't defeated a top 10 player, and I'm hesitant on jumping on the Serena Super Return wagon. She will probably win more slams and get top 3 again.

Jennifer Capriati - Very tricky situation. She has been rolling over to players ranked both above her and below her. She has a very bad back condition. The beginning of the end may be near.

Chanda Rubin - No wins over a top player since 2002. Losing early in slams. Not doing much anywhere else. Now injured. She's falling out of the top 10. I think there's not going to be much from this player anymore.

Venus Williams - Who knows. Has played uninspired tennis in her comeback, but she's a fighter.

arcus
Apr 3rd, 2004, 04:17 PM
Ireland Kelly Liggan is a decent doubles player and thats it really! :rolleyes:

Ireland, the home of the oldest womens tour event in the world, has no one home grown whose talent befits that slice
of histo.ry

Its been a long time since Ireland convinced Matt doyle, an american with irish grandparents (can you say ruzedski?) to play with the last significantly ranked Irish player sean sorensen (really irish, despite the swedish name) , and they won some davis cup matches.
The women are worse than the brits, and thats saying something.. :mad:

Ireland need to look into the parentage of some foreign players

"Serena O'Williams"?
"Jennifer MacCapriati"?

Maybe if anna Kournikova married Colin Farrell she'd be eligible.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

propi
Apr 3rd, 2004, 04:24 PM
Belgium:
Now: :eek:
Future: :awww:

Here's an article in Dutch which sums things up :p
The future is not that bright. The only talented Belgian junior is Kirsten Flipkens :)
:lol: that's exactly Spain's situation 10-15 years ago.... now we're in the :awww: step waiting for some sparkling girl in here :rolleyes:

A'DAM
Apr 3rd, 2004, 04:41 PM
POLAND:

Now: Many young verrrrry talented girls

DOMACHOWSKA MARTA knocking to top 150 door

SAKOWICZ JOANNA

JANS KLAUDIA

KOSINSKA KAROLINA

SCHNEIDER MONIKA

LESNIAK MARTA

KISZCZYNSKA MAGDALENA

BROZDA OLGA

ROSOLSKA ALICJA

KRAUZE MONIKA

So its kinda building proces for future

Future: INTERESTING!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

pav
Apr 3rd, 2004, 06:19 PM
New Zealand -- now bad to badder
future faint glow in distance from Marina Erakovich

Brαm
Apr 3rd, 2004, 06:48 PM
:lol: that's exactly Spain's situation 10-15 years ago.... now we're in the :awww: step waiting for some sparkling girl in here :rolleyes:
Well at least you have some top-100 players! Belgium will have 1 maybe :bolt:

Vass22
Apr 3rd, 2004, 07:31 PM
russia..................

A part of the future can be found here: http://www.wtaworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34
151+ pages of it.

Joana
Apr 3rd, 2004, 07:48 PM
Serbia and Montenegro:

Jelena Dokić - who knows what is going to happen with her. She is terrible right now, but may improve. We'll see.

Jelena Janković - very talented but total headcase. Can't win 3 set matches for life,
also her serve falls apart when she is under pressure. I hope those things will improve over time, and that she has the potential to be top 20.

Ana Ivanović - our greatest hope for the future. Really works hard, has a great coach, really talented and physically gifted. At 16 years of age clearly our 3rd best player. However, she also has a problem with consistency. As her former coach said: "She has 5-0 lead and wins the set 7-6. But hey, that's Ana."

Ana Timotić - hovering around top 200, I don't see her going out of challenger level.

Katarina Mišić - see above

Dragana Zarić - very solid doubles player, in bad slump in singles.

Vojislava Lukić - top 10 in juniors last season, with several wins in South American tournaments. Like Ivanović, had great plans for this season, but unlike her, hasn't delivered anything. Currently in very bad slump.

¤CharlDa¤
Apr 3rd, 2004, 08:02 PM
CANADA:

Drake: She is becoming older and older, she seems not to win anymore. Her problem is mental, cause her game can be pretty good. She has decent resutls on grass though

Pelletier: Marie-Eve is another head case. She seems to play really great in important events, reaching her first main draw match in a Grand Slam in this year Us Open. Her best ranking is in the top 150, but her talent really is higher than that. She has some problems closing out matches and with her confidence.

Jeyaseelan: We never know. Is she rerired or not? She had pretty good double results last year, few good tournies in singles, but this year we only saw her play once. Too bad she had that terrible illness, she had lots of talent and passion for her size!

Marois: She was the best Canuck in Juniors for a while. She his ranked in the top 250 and ahs a lot of talent. She is naother head case though and she is not consisitent at all! She should be in the top 200, i don't see ehr going higher than that though. This year she played no matches for no apparent reason.

Srebovic: Not much to say about her. She has some talent, she was two points away from beating Dulko in Quebec city last year. She is still yound and if she continues to train she could get in the top 300.

Juniors: Now it gets interesting!!!!! Canada's junior scene never was that good scine a long time. Alekzandra Wozniak and Stephanie Dubois are two of the best players, beating many top 10 players and reaching multiple Grade A quarters and semis and Grade 1 finals. Zoricic, Gloria and Shulaeva are also talented, though clearly a lower level. Tetreaul, Beetham, Oneill, Rice, Perez and Patenaude are some very good Grade 3 players, winning at elast 5 between them in the past month! Finally, Sharon Fichman is the best or close to in her age divison. She is the Orange Bowl 12 and under winner in 2002 and at 13 she lost in the finals of the 14 and under competition. She reently beat some top 40 players en route to a third round in a grade A and quarters in a grade 1! She is surely one of the best porspects Canada had in its history!

veera
Apr 3rd, 2004, 08:11 PM
Finland:

It's all up to Emma Laine, last year's junior number four. She has done great this year, moved 500 places in the rankings to number 370 (or something like that) without any wild cards to WTA tournaments. She could make it to the top 50... :)

And that's really something since we have never had player ranked that high.

croat123
Apr 3rd, 2004, 08:14 PM
Croatia:

SPREM!!! no explanation needed

Talaja she's been playing decent, former top20, hopefully she'll reenter the top50
Kostanic lot's of talent, mentally weak
Majoli seems to be rebounding again which is good
Jurak, Krzelj, Popadic, Mamic slowy rising in the ranks, entering top200
Lucic :o

Stefwhit
Apr 3rd, 2004, 10:50 PM
Great Thread! I enjoyed reading about the analysis of the players from each country, so thanks to all the posters in this thread. Where is the rest of the world?

jrm
Apr 3rd, 2004, 11:21 PM
SLOVENIJA

PISNIK - had an excellent chance to crack top 20 ... did some math at the end of 2002. She had less that 170 points to defend until the begining of the claycourt season and will lots of top players injured/not playing/bad form was really on the cards. She lost to players like Fedak, Dragomir, Kapros (twice) ...

SREBOTNIK - coming back from the injury. Big talent but like Pisnik never had a proper coach from early age! There are so many aspects of her game that can be improved and sticking with Krizan as her coach won't help!

MATEVZIC - has been injured the entire year ... hoping to come back until Athens (!?). Classy player who lacks big shots and some power!

ptkten
Apr 3rd, 2004, 11:49 PM
The problem for the United States is its' future. The Williams Sisters are the only top players from the U.S. that are under 25 and the youngest American in the top 100 is Ashley Harkleroad, and while she is one of my favorite players I can't see her breaking the top 10. It's going to be up to the younger generation of Mary Gambale, Alexandra Mueller, and Jessica Kirkland because the rest of the Americans have not sown top 10 potential and that's what the United States is known for producing.

¤CharlDa¤
Apr 4th, 2004, 01:13 AM
I think you can maybe had Neha Uberoi to that list!

I agree Alexandra Mueller is really really impressive!

LindsayRocks89
Apr 4th, 2004, 01:27 AM
Lindsay Davenport is still at the top of the game, but she is in the later stage of her career so i mean she wont be around forever unfortuanetly, weve got Serena and Venus, who will be around for a while, Jenn, shes a fighter, still a top player, but i'm really worried about the back, Monica is just great no matter what, chanda she is still a top 10 player but she wont be playing to much longer iether, um Ashley could get top 20 but really she hasnt done anything this year and her ranking will drop alot this year after charleston and the french.

Mr_Molik
Apr 4th, 2004, 03:59 AM
AUSTRALIA

Alicia Molik: Has been playing consitently since the beginning of last year. Already a top 30 player. Great serve, good but inconsistent groundstrokes, great volley, ok mover. Needs to, come to net more, improve her backhand and mental game if she is going to continue moving up the rankings.
Samantha Stosur: Only 19 i think?Huge serve, heavy groundstrokes. Has potential to be a top 20 player, maybe even higher, but needs to start playing well week in week out rather than a few great results every year and little else.
Nicole Pratt: Has been playing the best tennis of her career the last few yrs. Should be consistently in the top 40. Great fighter.

Xian
Apr 4th, 2004, 10:47 AM
New Zealand -- now bad to badder
future faint glow in distance from Marina Erakovich
dont forget the Marama sis. Both can crack the top 100

Jodie
Apr 4th, 2004, 11:03 AM
The Netherlands..

We only have the future..
coz Hoogland, Gerards, Noorlander etc are stuck on their rankings, but hopefullt they can come higher..

Then we have Elise Tamaëla, she's now around 166.. She can crack into the top-100..
And of course we have Michaella Krajicek, she is just 15.. Next week is she playing in 50k DInan.. Nr 2 by the juniors, and still no rank at the WTA..
Other good juniors are Bibiane Schoofs, Nicole Thijssen and Marrit Boonstra.. Hopefully they can change into a good profplayers..
I still has nothing get from Stephanie Herz, she still training by Bolletieri academy..

moby
Apr 4th, 2004, 11:25 AM
singapore:
no tennis future
and our current tennis situation isn't any better... i struggle to think of one player in the top 500... i wonder if we even have any pros?

GoDominique
Apr 4th, 2004, 01:58 PM
Germany

Right now Germany doesn't have any top-players. 'We' had Graf and Huber in recent years, but at the moment I don't see any players who might get close to their (or to be fair, Anke's) achievements.

Right now there are 2 players in the top-100: Anca Barna and Marlene Weingärtner.
Anca Barna has made nice progress in the past 3 years and is now ranked around no. 50. She might crack the top 40, but probably not more.
Marlene Weingärtner has been ranked 36 two years ago, at the moment she's going down again. She's very inconsistent and also struggles with injuries.

The only player who might join them in top 100 soon (apart from Rittner if she comes back, but she's 30 so ...) is Anna-Lena Grönefeld. She's 18 years old and currently no. 104. She had great results in challengers last year but right now she struggles a bit as she is playing her first full year on the WTA-tour.
She's a power-player with a great serve but her game is still raw. It's too early to say what she will do.
And you have to be careful with predictions for young German players. Just remember the last two youngsters who were looking good:
Bianka Lamade won a tournament in 2001 and got into the top 60. In 2004, she hardly plays and is ranked below 300.
Martina Müller won a tournament in 2002 and got into the top 60. In 2004, she is ranked below 300 and plays $10K's.
There are a few more young players, like Angelique Kerber who is 16 and doing quite well. Too early to say.
Let's not forget all those player who are ranked between 100 and 250. Most of them are in their 20's, they rise and fall, then rise again, but don't have the potential for top 100.

The future is not looking good IMO. Many good juniors don't make the transition to the pros. Either because they are too lazy, or because they aren't willing to make sacrifices in their life just for a tennis career, like giving up school etc.
Another problem is that there are hardly any tournaments in Germany where those plays could get WC's and gain experience. There are only two WTA-events left, and we have like 5 ITF's (and only small ones), while Italy and France have dozens of them. :rolleyes:

crazillo
Apr 4th, 2004, 02:13 PM
Germany

Right now Germany doesn't have any top-players. 'We' had Graf and Huber in recent years, but at the moment I don't see any players who might get close to their (or to be fair, Anke's) achievements.

Right now there are 2 players in the top-100: Anca Barna and Marlene Weingärtner.
Anca Barna has made nice progress in the past 3 years and is now ranked around no. 50. She might crack the top 40, but probably not more.
Marlene Weingärtner has been ranked 36 two years ago, at the moment she's going down again. She's very inconsistent and also struggles with injuries.

The only player who might join them in top 100 soon (apart from Rittner if she comes back, but she's 30 so ...) is Anna-Lena Grönefeld. She's 18 years old and currently no. 104. She had great results in challengers last year but right now she struggles a bit as she is playing her first full year on the WTA-tour.
She's a power-player with a great serve but her game is still raw. It's too early to say what she will do.
And you have to be careful with predictions for young German players. Just remember the last two youngsters who were looking good:
Bianka Lamade won a tournament in 2001 and got into the top 60. In 2004, she hardly plays and is ranked below 300.
Martina Müller won a tournament in 2002 and got into the top 60. In 2004, she is ranked below 300 and plays $10K's.
There are a few more young players, like Angelique Kerber who is 16 and doing quite well. Too early to say.
Let's not forget all those player who are ranked between 100 and 250. Most of them are in their 20's, they rise and fall, then rise again, but don't have the potential for top 100.

The future is not looking good IMO. Many good juniors don't make the transition to the pros. Either because they are too lazy, or because they aren't willing to make sacrifices in their life just for a tennis career, like giving up school etc.
Another problem is that there are hardly any tournaments in Germany where those plays could get WC's and gain experience. There are only two WTA-events left, and we have like 5 ITF's (and only small ones), while Italy and France have dozens of them. :rolleyes:

Totally agree with you. I become careful with preedictions.

charmedRic
Apr 4th, 2004, 04:53 PM
Puerto Rico

Right now we have 2 solid players, but from there...I think nothing.

Kristina Brandi, she's back in the Top 50. Playing with good form, her game needs a weapon since there are no weaknesses. A she should add a lil bit of speed. I see Kristina breaking into the Top 32, and maybe having a seed at Wimbledon. Her time to shine isn't now since she prefers faster surfaces. If she remains un-injured she should win a title this year.

Vilmarie Castellvi, well if Amber Liu had lost at the NCAA Final it would have been Vilmarie playing Kim Clijsters in the first round of the US Open. Vilmarie is having an awful start to the season. I expected her to hover in the high 100's before breaking into the Top 100 midway into the clay season. She's young but I really cant say much about her game.

Any more input in KB or VC would be greatly appreciated.

Xian
Apr 4th, 2004, 05:51 PM
I read somewhere in a match report that Vilmarie hasnt the game to compete with the powerful girls now. She often plays moonballs and very passive. But I really hope for her to increase her rankings cause its good to have various countries at the top :hearts: