PDA

View Full Version : Amelia Island... what is it??

nitsansh
Apr 3rd, 2004, 03:25 PM
Excuse my ignorance...

Can anyone fill me with info on this location, beside being venue of a tennis tournament?

TheBoiledEgg
Apr 3rd, 2004, 03:53 PM
http://www.blchamps.com/pages/e_info/location.htm

nitsansh
Apr 3rd, 2004, 04:29 PM
Is that a well-known resort in the States?

nitsansh
Apr 3rd, 2004, 04:37 PM
The website mentions that it's the 2nd oldest WTA event in USA... which is the oldest one?

marsha
Apr 4th, 2004, 12:49 AM
Just a little bit more info on Amelia Island (Plantation) -- I would not say it is VERY well-known in the USA, but pretty well known in North Florida. It is a private residential community, beach is private, but right next to a public beach called American Beach (where they park general admissions cars for the tournament, ironically). To live there one must have beaucoups of bucks, btw! Most of the players stay with various families, although 3 years ago a Hilton Hotel was built nearby where some players now stay.

I agree that I think Family Circle Cup is the oldest continuously-sponsored WTA tournie.

nitsansh
Apr 4th, 2004, 01:16 AM
Let me make it clear... is Amelia Island the name of the private residence, or is it really an island?

JasonW
Apr 4th, 2004, 04:25 AM
Amelia Island is really an Island. It has a residential community on the Island called Amelia Island Plantation and is where the tournament is held. Amelia Island is fairly well-known in America.

nitsansh
Apr 4th, 2004, 05:23 PM
Who is Amelia that the island is named after?