PDA

View Full Version : MELANIE SOUTH www.melaniesouth.net

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8

WIMBY
Nov 13th, 2008, 09:41 PM
Well done Melanie and good luck in the Semi Final :worship::bounce:

wales1994
Nov 14th, 2008, 04:36 PM
She won 6-4 6-4 and into final :woohoo: :bounce: 1 win away frim the title :D :P

Escape
Nov 14th, 2008, 06:26 PM
Well done Mel :yeah: :D Now go on and take the title :)

Dodoboy.
Nov 14th, 2008, 07:38 PM
Come on Mel!!

WIMBY
Nov 15th, 2008, 12:12 AM
Melanie :bigclap::banana::woohoo:

serenus_2k8
Nov 15th, 2008, 04:55 PM
She lost I believe, not sure on score :(

wales1994
Nov 15th, 2008, 05:10 PM
It was 6-3 6-1 :help: :sad:

Europe rocks
Nov 15th, 2008, 07:35 PM
Another one-sided scoreline in a GB vs Chinese girl match. Maybe a bit of fatigue coming into it for Mel, plus these Chinese girls are always nightmares to face if you're having an off day. They just keep getting it back until you miss. Onwards and upwards to Kolkata though and Mel could make 108 with a SF still, I think :bounce:

Mforensic
Nov 15th, 2008, 08:24 PM
bad loss, but Mel soldiers on to possible AO MD

WIMBY
Nov 16th, 2008, 12:27 PM
Melanie :sad: still 17 points on board :)

Europe rocks
Nov 16th, 2008, 07:40 PM
Could still make it with a SF in Kolkata though, but of course, the tennis gods have other plans...
Kolkata $50K Round 1
(1)South vs Lu
:smash:

Mforensic
Nov 16th, 2008, 07:41 PM
Hopefully Mel can have her revenge. She reminds me of how Agassi used to get to all those finals then loses in them....... Still 2 titles this year is good!

WIMBY
Nov 17th, 2008, 11:26 PM
Come on Melanie :devil:

Dawson.
Nov 18th, 2008, 04:07 PM
Revenge for mel :devil: she won 7-5, 6-3 :D

wales1994
Nov 18th, 2008, 04:42 PM
why couldnt she have done this lAST WEEK :(

Europe rocks
Nov 18th, 2008, 07:20 PM
Revenge is dish best served cold. Or maybe with a bit of a curry. Faces a certain Miss Lertcheewakarn next, pretty sure I've never heard of her :devil:

WIMBY
Nov 18th, 2008, 09:06 PM
Revenge is dish best served cold. Or maybe with a bit of a curry. Faces a certain Miss Lertcheewakarn next, pretty sure I've never heard of her :devil:

Defeated by a certain Miss Robson at Wimbledon I do believe.

:devil:Go Melanie :devil:

Europe rocks
Nov 18th, 2008, 09:14 PM
Well, whatever Miss Robson can do, Miss South can do better ;)

hope I haven't jinxed Mel now, so close to AOMD :tape:

WIMBY
Nov 19th, 2008, 12:05 PM
You jinxed her! Melanie lost in 3 :sad::sad:

serenus_2k8
Nov 19th, 2008, 12:44 PM
Omg :(

wales1994
Nov 19th, 2008, 04:17 PM
Can she still make it if she does well 2moz?? I dont think she deserves top 100 atm :sad: :(

Escape
Nov 19th, 2008, 06:09 PM
Mel :( :sad:

Europe rocks
Nov 19th, 2008, 07:08 PM
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh

Still, a good showing in Toyota could get Mel there. One last push needed!

wales1994
Nov 19th, 2008, 07:53 PM
I dont think she deserves to be top 100 yet :help: I love her but if she cant win 25K's then what hope has she got in a GS :(

Europe rocks
Nov 19th, 2008, 08:54 PM
Lost to Gajdosova - Jarmila is a former top 70 player, maybe even higher, who seems to be getting things back on track
Lost to Grandin - from what I've heard she has a difficult game, maybe she just had too much variation for Mel
Lost to Lu - the less said about these Chinese girls, the better
Lost to Lertcheewakarn - fatigue? She's played a lot and travelled a lot, maybe it's catching up with her.

Ok, she's had a few bad losses, but just look at the top 100 players she has beaten: Kremer, Bammer, Nakamura and Kvitova. She also came close against Bondarenko, pushed Bartoli to three sets in Montreal and should have qualified for the US Open. It's been a good year for Mel, climbing around 100 places in the rankings, but this is always the hardest stage - transitioning from a 120-200 player to a player ranked 80-120, especially this time of the year. Mel could reach the top 100 next year, she might never reach it, she could reach it in 2015 for all we know! Just look at Anne - so many people (including myself) thought she would never make it, but something just clicked for her and she's now inside the top 70 :) Need to take the rough with the smooth

serenus_2k8
Nov 21st, 2008, 05:20 PM
^ I totally agree.

She has had a little rest, so she will be fresher I hope at the 75k.

If seeding were to hold here, and she won, she would be in the top 100 easily, about 96th in the world.

If she makes the final it would be enough, pushing her to 98th, and if she makes SF she would be about 2 spots off the top 100.

I think its really exciting that GB might have two players in top 100, and will have 2 in the MD of AO :woohoo:

WIMBY
Nov 21st, 2008, 11:58 PM
Lost to Gajdosova - Jarmila is a former top 70 player, maybe even higher, who seems to be getting things back on track
Lost to Grandin - from what I've heard she has a difficult game, maybe she just had too much variation for Mel
Lost to Lu - the less said about these Chinese girls, the better
Lost to Lertcheewakarn - fatigue? She's played a lot and travelled a lot, maybe it's catching up with her.

Ok, she's had a few bad losses, but just look at the top 100 players she has beaten: Kremer, Bammer, Nakamura and Kvitova. She also came close against Bondarenko, pushed Bartoli to three sets in Montreal and should have qualified for the US Open. It's been a good year for Mel, climbing around 100 places in the rankings, but this is always the hardest stage - transitioning from a 120-200 player to a player ranked 80-120, especially this time of the year. Mel could reach the top 100 next year, she might never reach it, she could reach it in 2015 for all we know! Just look at Anne - so many people (including myself) thought she would never make it, but something just clicked for her and she's now inside the top 70 :) Need to take the rough with the smooth

Well said. I am sure that fatigue would have played a part, hopefully a few days to rest/train before playing next week will see Melanie push onwards and upwards. She is certainly on track for the top 100. :)

serenus_2k8
Nov 22nd, 2008, 10:38 AM
Goog luck Mel :worship:

wales1994
Nov 22nd, 2008, 12:31 PM
Well said. I am sure that fatigue would have played a part, hopefully a few days to rest/train before playing next week will see Melanie push onwards and upwards. She is certainly on track for the top 100. :)

Cant always blame fatigue when she losses :lol: in her break she better be working her ass off in the gym ;) only thing that i think iss holding her back

Europe rocks
Nov 22nd, 2008, 08:06 PM
^
I'd like to see you try Mel's schedule - imagine the heat out there is Australia, the humidity in India, getting on and off planes, time zones, jet lag and all that...
It's not as easy as getting on a plane, turning up somewhere and playing tennis!

Europe rocks
Nov 22nd, 2008, 09:41 PM
Looking at the archive threads on here, the cut off for last year's Aussie Open was 112, so hopefully Mel can sneak in around there. A SF will put her close to the target of 108, but a final would make it highly likely that Mel will go in directly. We know it's possible, let's just hope Mel can go out there and blow her socks off!

Dodoboy.
Nov 22nd, 2008, 09:59 PM
Come on Mel!

Now or never, biggest tournament of your career here1

WIMBY
Nov 23rd, 2008, 12:27 AM
Good Luck Melanie :):):)

serenus_2k8
Nov 23rd, 2008, 10:02 AM
Cmon Mel!!

Europe rocks
Nov 23rd, 2008, 10:32 AM
Potential QF with Kimiko Date-Krumm :o
Mel opens against a qualifier

serenus_2k8
Nov 23rd, 2008, 11:50 AM
Nice 1st & 2nd round. Tough QF tho :(

WIMBY
Nov 25th, 2008, 10:15 PM
Emma Laine/Melanie South won their doubles 6-3 6-3 :):bounce:

serenus_2k8
Nov 26th, 2008, 07:50 AM
Great, that should relax her and put a bit of cash in her pocket :drool:

She has been getting a hard time in GM which is really disgusting, not that I think she would care.

I hope Mel can get her game together and show everyone exactly what she is made of :armed:

Mforensic
Nov 26th, 2008, 03:23 PM
Mel through to round 2 in Japan!

Europe rocks
Nov 26th, 2008, 07:46 PM
Good start and the draw has opened up by the looks of it, on the ITF site it shows that Ksenia Lykina is into the quarterfinals as opposed to Kimiko Date-Krumm, which, provided Mel gets that far, might make it a bit easier

WIMBY
Nov 26th, 2008, 09:07 PM
Melanie :bounce:

WIMBY
Nov 27th, 2008, 03:49 PM
Melanie through to singles 1/4 final and doubles semi final :bounce:

patch.
Nov 27th, 2008, 07:16 PM
she went through in three sets today :)
she must be very close now, keep it up :hug:

Europe rocks
Nov 27th, 2008, 07:43 PM
So close Mel, almost there. Nice to see you winning in doubles as well, keep up the good work :kiss:
QF against Lykina

Dawson.
Nov 27th, 2008, 10:59 PM
omg one win away :unsure:
got Lyskina, a young up and comer - mel normally struggles with those :scared:

come on mel, you can do it :bounce::yeah:

wales1994
Nov 28th, 2008, 10:23 AM
she lost in 2 :(

Dawson.
Nov 28th, 2008, 01:20 PM
as expected - mission failed :mad:

serenus_2k8
Nov 28th, 2008, 05:49 PM
Mel...a WC was all that stood in your way and you blew it :(

WIMBY
Nov 28th, 2008, 06:29 PM
Melanie in singles :sad:

Melanie in doubles :bounce::bounce:

From her website:

28/11/2008 EMMA & MELANIE STORM INTO DOUBLES FINAL

Melanie followed up her loss in the singles with a win in the Semi Final of the doubles and a place in the Final.

3-6 6-1 [10-6] LAINE (FIN) / SOUTH (GBR) 2

In the Final, they play the 3rd seeds
DATE-KRUMM (JPN) / HAN (CHN)

4AM
Melanie text to say to lost the 1/4 Final, 3-6 5-7 and will be back on court in hour and a half to play the doubles.

Nice message on GBTennisGirls forum from Melanie's good friend Sarah Borwell

Figured I'd give my 2 cents, or pence:) I think Mel has done amazingly well this year, if you chart the amount of tournaments she has played and also the amount of times she has flown around the globe, the fact that she is still able to compete so late on in the year, is a testamount to her! The losses won't be due to the fact that she is getting close to top 100, she will get there and once there she will push on like Anne. However, after working so hard all year, it is hard to sustain a high level all the way through. I remember rooming with Mel in Feb, she had just flown from America, to Sweden and then flying back to America and then on to Australia. She has pushed herself to the extreme and judging by her ranking she has benefited from it.She will get her pay back, a place in the main draw and then we will see whether the top 100 a stumbling block or simply a platform! I have a feeling we will being singing the praises of Mels run at Australian Open:)

Year to date (without Japan matches)

Win Loss Record - Singles 56-31
Win Loss Record - Doubles 16-9

Europe rocks
Nov 28th, 2008, 08:26 PM
Lykina is a top junior and is certainly not ranked outside the top 500. The fact Katie beat her, in STRAIGHT SETS :lol: a couple of weeks ago makes this defeat a bit more sour, but Mel should be about 99% in as her ranking should be 110

Europe rocks
Nov 28th, 2008, 08:39 PM
Some more good news, Patricia Mayr will not be able to overtake Mel, even if she wins St Denis, so if we don't take any players with SRs into account, Mel should be number 2 on the next in main draw list for AO :)

WIMBY
Nov 28th, 2008, 11:42 PM
Lykina is a top junior and is certainly not ranked outside the top 500. The fact Katie beat her, in STRAIGHT SETS :lol: a couple of weeks ago makes this defeat a bit more sour, but Mel should be about 99% in as her ranking should be 110

I missed that then, I cannot see it on her profile or that of LYKINA, Ksenia (RUS) where was that?

wales1994
Nov 29th, 2008, 08:38 AM
:D Mel i hope u take a few weeks off then work on ur fitness because if u were fitter i think u could beat most players between 50-100 ;) or higher GL :kiss:

WIMBY
Nov 29th, 2008, 10:29 AM
:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

LAINE (FIN) / SOUTH (GBR) (2) defeated DATE-KRUMM (JPN) / HAN (CHN) (3) 6-1 7-5

Dawson.
Nov 29th, 2008, 11:38 AM
Some more good news, Patricia Mayr will not be able to overtake Mel, even if she wins St Denis, so if we don't take any players with SRs into account, Mel should be number 2 on the next in main draw list for AO :)

Petkovic & Malek both have SR's higher than mel's ranking, so that makes it 4 places from the main draw :(, so hopefully 4 people ranked above her will pull out within plently of time ;)
And Mayr's $25k points will not be added until next week, after the AOMD deadline.

EDIT - apparently Daniilidou might have a SR too

wales1994
Nov 29th, 2008, 12:07 PM
I think she could do well in doubles :D G: next year Mel :woohoo:

Europe rocks
Nov 29th, 2008, 05:20 PM
I missed that then, I cannot see it on her profile or that of LYKINA, Ksenia (RUS) where was that?

My bad, Katie played Ksenia Pervak.
Lykina did reach 4 in the junior rankings earlier on this year, winning the Aussie Open doubles with Pavlyuchenkova, so she isn't a bad little player

Europe rocks
Nov 29th, 2008, 05:25 PM
Petkovic & Malek both have SR's higher than mel's ranking, so that makes it 4 places from the main draw :(, so hopefully 4 people ranked above her will pull out within plently of time ;)
And Mayr's $25k points will not be added until next week, after the AOMD deadline.

EDIT - apparently Daniilidou might have a SR too

Thought the rule about using an SR for a Grand Slam was that you must have missed three slams in order to use it, which would disqualify Daniilidou as she played in the US Open (l. 1 & 0 to Peng).
Petkovic and Malek both missed Roland Garros, Wimbledon and the US Open, but they have played during that period, so I'm not sure that this disqualifies them from a SR for the Aussie Open as the played during that time, or whether the rule is exclusively for the Slams.
Wouldn't be bad if Mel did play the qualies, she would be a top seed and I'd rather her qualify and lost in the first round, then lost in the first round straight away, as Mel would at least get points for qualifying. Every cloud has a silver lining!

WIMBY
Nov 29th, 2008, 10:51 PM
My bad, Katie played Ksenia Pervak.
Lykina did reach 4 in the junior rankings earlier on this year, winning the Aussie Open doubles with Pavlyuchenkova, so she isn't a bad little player

Lykina into the Final with another win, a very good up and coming young player indeed.

Melanie now has 12 doubles titles, 6 singles titles and deserves a rest, well done Melanie :worship:

serenus_2k8
Nov 30th, 2008, 12:16 PM
Yeah I think QFing is a good idea, she would get like 30 points for just beating people lower ranked than her, which is possible if she plays well. So that would help boost her ranking further and give her some good match practise for the first round.

I would love Anne and Mel to both beat decent players first round and have winnable 2nd round matches :hearts:

WIMBY
Nov 30th, 2008, 06:34 PM
I would like to see two GB players straight into the Main Draw :devil:

Europe rocks
Nov 30th, 2008, 08:47 PM
Mel up to #110, looks like they've decided to update the ranks early. Also, Mel has earnt over $100,000 this year so well done to her :bounce: $103,042

WIMBY
Nov 30th, 2008, 09:21 PM
Well done Melanie, good luck in 2009. :worship:

JAMESYBABY!
Dec 3rd, 2008, 04:12 PM
mel :D:D,,, over 100K this year :eek:,,, thts is good :D:D

i think she might g3et into the AOMD becuase the last entrants everyyear so far hasnt been below 112 :D

so heres hopeing!

rated_next
Dec 3rd, 2008, 08:58 PM
I just got back from Tokyo and I have become a fan of Melanie. :)
She is such a sweet girl.

She played pretty well in the first two rounds but she could never get it going in the quarters. She has a great serve, a good forehand and backhand, but movement is her major weakness. Whenever she's not in a good position, she throws in a high moonball which results in her being on the defense which isn't her strong point. But, in doubles she was great. :worship:

I have some pictures of her in Tokyo BUT they are her own personal facebook pictures. The reason why I was able to view them is because the guy I stayed with is friends with a tennis player's sister, and she's friends with Melanie. Anyway, let me know if it's ok to post. :)

JAMESYBABY!
Dec 3rd, 2008, 09:25 PM
omfg :D,,, thts great tht u watched :D,,,

shame tht mel didnt win i guess she was really tired :|

yeah post some piccys :)

thnx :)

WIMBY
Dec 5th, 2008, 11:11 PM
Photo from Tokyo of Emma and Melanie is on Melanie's website :)

WIMBY
Dec 10th, 2008, 11:46 PM
Melanie next plays in the Brisbane International tournament :)

JAMESYBABY!
Dec 11th, 2008, 07:07 AM
is she in md of aussi yet ? :)

Mforensic
Dec 11th, 2008, 04:10 PM
too early to tell......wait till next week.

Europe rocks
Dec 11th, 2008, 08:03 PM
Mel 5 away from MD at the moment. Santangelo, Shaughnessy, Malek and Petkovic all in using a SR, making her 6 away, but Perebiynis has pulled out, so now we just need 5 more withdrawals. Kind of hoped that Lindsay wasn't going to play, but it looks like she doesn't want to go back to motherhood just yet!

WIMBY
Dec 11th, 2008, 10:24 PM
6 places out when the list came out yesterday and 4 places out of Main Draw after only 1 day, every chance that she will get in:)

Dawson.
Dec 11th, 2008, 10:49 PM
Its kind of bad how we want people to pull out so Mel can get in... but meh. Go Mel :bounce:

Mforensic
Dec 12th, 2008, 11:53 AM
As the AO nears there will be some definite withdrawals.......especially after Christmas.

serenus_2k8
Dec 12th, 2008, 04:48 PM
Good luck with getting in Mel :D I cant imagine having 2 brits in the MD, can you imagine if both made it to R2 :o :o :o

My dream would be that they both get east 1st round match and then 1 gets to play a big name so the match is televised, and that way I can watch it :angel: But of course I want the Brit to win :D :D :D

Europe rocks
Dec 12th, 2008, 08:15 PM
Even if Mel and Anne both made it to the second round, all the BBC will be bothered to talk about will be Saint Andy Murray. Let's hope he goes out in the first round and we get an Anne vs Mel final :devil: 4 places away :bounce:

Dawson.
Dec 19th, 2008, 03:04 PM
Mel getting closer! Only 2 away now i think.
Davenport up the duff and Beth Mattek apparently pulled out. I must say though, I am quite sad that these two players will not be playing, but every cloud has a silver lining!! Go Mel :bounce:

JAMESYBABY!
Dec 19th, 2008, 03:15 PM
and also apprently petrova has meningitus soo ??

1 maybe??

Dodoboy.
Dec 19th, 2008, 06:12 PM
Yeah, that is true!

Things are looking good for Mel!

Dawson.
Dec 19th, 2008, 06:17 PM
and also apprently petrova has meningitus soo ??

1 maybe??

Oh my god really? :eek: Thats terrible, hope she'll be ok. Was this in GM? i must have missed it if it was.

Escape
Dec 19th, 2008, 06:25 PM
Oh my god really? :eek: Thats terrible, hope she'll be ok. Was this in GM? i must have missed it if it was.

I read it on Teletext, It said she had to pull out of Auckland and was a doubt for A0.

Europe rocks
Dec 20th, 2008, 09:00 PM
Well on the AO lists in the thread, it still has Mel as 3 out of MD, but I'm not sure which players have been taken into account as withdrawals, it's all been a bit muddled so far. Hopefully she can sneak into the MD :)

jake270392
Dec 30th, 2008, 07:42 PM
i think she is 2 away, but the sr players were not added i think so would any know if this would affect her position or have they been added now, im not sure.

Europe rocks
Dec 30th, 2008, 08:17 PM
Mel was 6 places away from MD with all the SR players in, but then withdrawals of Davenport, Mattek and Perebiynis take her up to the 3 away. Still possible Petrova could withdraw :tears: and there are a few other injury worries at the moment (Paszek - toe, Koryttseva - ankle, Srebotnik - achilles, apparently Bammer has an infection, Sharapova - shoulder) so Mel could still make it

Mforensic
Dec 30th, 2008, 10:53 PM
We won't know till Monday

jake270392
Dec 31st, 2008, 04:56 PM
thanks for reply, even if she doesnt make MD cut, she will have a high ranking in qualies which could help her get through anyway, and she would be better off due to qualifying points

WIMBY
Jan 1st, 2009, 10:49 AM
Good luck in Brisbane Melanie and now in Sydney qualifying draw :)

jake270392
Jan 1st, 2009, 04:41 PM
Will she make the Sydney qaulifying cut

Europe rocks
Jan 1st, 2009, 07:46 PM
First round match against Ekaterina Bychkova. Winnable, so good luck to her :)

IMPOSSIBLE
Jan 1st, 2009, 07:54 PM
Go Mel :)

Mforensic
Jan 1st, 2009, 09:28 PM
Good luck Mel!

Joe.
Jan 2nd, 2009, 07:46 AM
mel lost to byckova :sad:

jake270392
Jan 2nd, 2009, 08:21 AM
No surprises there, hope Baltacha wins, could make MD at Aukland

wales1994
Jan 2nd, 2009, 10:14 AM
doubt it katie and elena bothe have :help: rdaws esp Katie

Bad loss for Mel 6-3 6-4 :( :sad: she needs to wise up on coming so close now to top 100

jake270392
Jan 2nd, 2009, 10:33 AM
You never know, I hope Mel is in the doubles because she could do well

jake270392
Jan 2nd, 2009, 06:15 PM
Does anyone know where mel is on the Australian Open qualie list and also latest withdrawals

Europe rocks
Jan 2nd, 2009, 09:02 PM
Shame she lost it, but when the Bych is on, she's one tough cookie, just ask Kuznetsova :devil:
Tough one Mel, better luck in Sydney

serenus_2k8
Jan 4th, 2009, 11:16 PM
Never mind mel :(

Looking forward to Sydney, though I'm surprised shes trying there coz its gonna be really tough :eek:

WIMBY
Jan 5th, 2009, 07:28 PM
Melanie now only 2 out of Australian Open Main Draw :)

Good luck in Sydney Melanie, nice to see you stepping up :wavey:

serenus_2k8
Jan 5th, 2009, 08:25 PM
So close! Any other potential withdrawls?

How about Kirilenko? A 'virus illness' sounds kinda serious? Most players would play on with a cold?

I hope she is OK btw.

Europe rocks
Jan 5th, 2009, 08:52 PM
Still waiting to hear if Nadia will play :hug: Been a few withdrawals from Auckland, Brisbane, Sydney and Hobart, but nothing yet on the AO

serenus_2k8
Jan 6th, 2009, 08:18 AM
Hmm I want Petrova to be there so I dont mind her - I would prefer some low profile pull outs though.

Perhaps Masha will not be recovered in time? There was an article saying she wasnt match fit, hence she withdrew from Tokyo but I cant see her skipping AO :p

Monica_Rules
Jan 6th, 2009, 11:20 AM
The more i think about it aybe it is better for Mel to play in qualifying. As one of the top seeds she's likely to miss the best players in the draw for at least a few rounds and then if sh does qualify she has 3 matches in the bag.

Unless of course she goes on a rampage in the MD

serenus_2k8
Jan 6th, 2009, 01:26 PM
The more i think about it aybe it is better for Mel to play in qualifying. As one of the top seeds she's likely to miss the best players in the draw for at least a few rounds and then if sh does qualify she has 3 matches in the bag.

Unless of course she goes on a rampage in the MD

I originally wanted her to play qualies so she could build up some form and then hopefully start the draw with a lot of confidence ready to play rather than feeling nervous and maybe out of her depth. If she could qualify it would be 65 points. A win in the MD would be glorious too, as she could gain about 165 points out of it. Im sure whatever happens Mel will do herself proud tho :D

jake270392
Jan 6th, 2009, 01:28 PM
I think it depends. If she did make MD then she might have a chance of getting a low ranked player, but could also play a top 10 player.
In qualifying she can easily make final round as she wouldnt be put agaisnt high ranked players, so can easily make final of qualies or qualify.
She would also get qualifying points which could help her get her ranking uptowards top 100.

Petkorazzi
Jan 6th, 2009, 01:34 PM
Well, she won't be that safe in qualies also, there are some dangerous players unseeded there IMO, only Krajicek comes to my mind now.

serenus_2k8
Jan 6th, 2009, 01:35 PM
Well the 65 points would be enough or nearly enough depending on how the women around her did. I think its a good plan.

serenus_2k8
Jan 6th, 2009, 01:36 PM
^ You make a good point Gigi, but I think it would be a good test, and good experience. Also Mel would know she is there coz of her rank and not coz others couldnt make it so her chance in the MD would be better IMO if she came through qualies, but the risk is somebody beats her before she makes it :o

Petkorazzi
Jan 6th, 2009, 02:06 PM
Well she'd be top seed or 2nd, so basically she has to win 2 matches and she's LL 90%. :shrug:

serenus_2k8
Jan 6th, 2009, 03:38 PM
Yeh lol another thing I hadnt really considered. Now I am certainly for qualies :D Tbh though, I think she wouldnt need to worry about LL I think she will do it :D

jake270392
Jan 6th, 2009, 05:07 PM
I think she can definatley make last round for sure, but then it does depend on the draw but hopefully she can win and live up to her ranking.
I hope to see her in the doubles aswell anyone know if she is in Aussie doubles.

serenus_2k8
Jan 6th, 2009, 05:30 PM
I dont think she will be. As fas as I understand, Sarah might not even get in and she is aout 20 places higher (ish)

Europe rocks
Jan 7th, 2009, 08:24 PM
Apparently Srebotnik has pulled out, so 1 more withdrawal and Mel will be in AOMD

Mforensic
Jan 8th, 2009, 10:29 AM
South vs. [8] Amanmuradova 1st rd quali draw in Sydney, 1st up on court 8 at 11 am

Good luck Mel!

serenus_2k8
Jan 8th, 2009, 12:49 PM
Good luck Mel - seeds are always tough, but Akgul has really been struggling. She has only had 3 wins since August last year :o She lost in first round of about 7/10 tournies, and only managed to gt 3 games vs Czink in the R1 of qualies at Brisbane

So best of luck Mel :D

wales1994
Jan 8th, 2009, 04:47 PM
GL Mel bring ur A game to Sydney :kiss:

WIMBY
Jan 8th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Good luck Melanie :)

only 1 more withdrawal for Melanie to be in Oz Main Draw:bounce:

jake270392
Jan 8th, 2009, 05:29 PM
Well lets hope someone pulls out soon cause qualie draw will be up on Monday I think.

Joe.
Jan 8th, 2009, 07:30 PM
omg i want mel to be in main draw of ao soo bad;) hopefully someone will pull out:) but if they dont she will be top seed in qualifying so she has a good chance of qualifying for main draw:D

serenus_2k8
Jan 8th, 2009, 07:53 PM
Qualies is for the best IMO but whatever. Que sera, sera.

serenus_2k8
Jan 9th, 2009, 06:20 AM
Both Mauresmo and Safarova have retired from their matches, who knows if they will be fit. I hope that Mauresmo is for sure though.

Mel beat Ammunmuradova 6-4. 6-2 so she is on to round two vs Barrois, who is beatable. With Safarovas withdrawl, its helped open up Mels draw a bit :D

When is the MD out? Cant wait 2 check out Anne's next potentail SF route :p

WIMBY
Jan 9th, 2009, 10:41 AM
South def. Amanmuradova 6/4 6/2:bounce::worship:

All your hard work in the off season, well done and good luck next round :)

Dawson.
Jan 9th, 2009, 11:39 AM
Both Mauresmo and Safarova have retired from their matches, who knows if they will be fit. I hope that Mauresmo is for sure though.

Mauresmo & Safarova are two of my favourites :sobbing: but if it means mel getting in... I guess I can make an exception :p :lol:

well done mel, keep going & prove the doubters wrong :yeah:

Joe.
Jan 9th, 2009, 04:07 PM
go mel :) and lucie retiring is good 4 mel:D but i hope lucies injury is not as bad as last years one:sad:

Europe rocks
Jan 9th, 2009, 07:51 PM
Nice win Mel :) GL against Barrois, she started to find some form towards the end of last year and with her big serve she'll be pretty dangerous

serenus_2k8
Jan 10th, 2009, 12:35 AM
Any1 staying up 4 Mels match? :lol:

Callum
Jan 10th, 2009, 12:44 AM
It's on now, right?
I'm not staying up specifically for it, but might as well now.

WIMBY
Jan 10th, 2009, 12:45 AM
Names on board, hoorah, here we go :bounce:

serenus_2k8
Jan 10th, 2009, 02:05 AM
Took first set 7-5, 3-0 up now, serving improved :)

serenus_2k8
Jan 10th, 2009, 02:05 AM
4-0 :d

serenus_2k8
Jan 10th, 2009, 02:12 AM
Bagel :woohoo: Go Mel 7-5 6-0 She totally broke away after 5-5 to win 7 straight games :o

Only dropped 12 points in the 2nd set, not too shabby!

WIMBY
Jan 10th, 2009, 02:29 AM
A MAZ ING MELANIE :bounce::bounce::bowdown::hatoff::woohoo:

6 aces and taking the second set to love against a top player, well done :)

Joe.
Jan 10th, 2009, 07:23 AM
:worship:mel keep it going:D gd luck against yuan

jake270392
Jan 10th, 2009, 07:44 AM
Yes lets hope she can keepit going. Yuan a tough oppenant

Play_Suspended
Jan 10th, 2009, 10:13 AM
Great result Mel, keep it up and qualify!!:worship:

wales1994
Jan 10th, 2009, 10:18 AM
keep itup mel and qualify ;) how far does she need to go to be top 100?

JAMESYBABY!
Jan 10th, 2009, 10:30 AM
mel :eek:

such a strong week after last week:D

meng = moonballer = mels worst nightmare :unsure:

over power her :D

Dodoboy.
Jan 10th, 2009, 10:40 AM
Good luck Mel!

WIMBY
Jan 10th, 2009, 03:11 PM
Good luck Melanie :devil::bounce:

Mforensic
Jan 10th, 2009, 05:17 PM
Go Mel!

Europe rocks
Jan 10th, 2009, 08:20 PM
Two good wins, now up against that awful moonballer. Mel needs to find a way past Yuan and get some big points in the bag

andrew_uk
Jan 10th, 2009, 08:29 PM
Argh! I remember Meng knocking out a Brit in qualifying for a slam - hopefully Mel will win :)

jake270392
Jan 10th, 2009, 08:33 PM
Yes it will be a tough match for her but she seems to be serving well which will definatly help to beat yuan.
Hope she can overpower her and qualify

Europe rocks
Jan 10th, 2009, 08:41 PM
Meng Yuan vs Brits (2007 and 2008)
8 - 2

Those two victories came from Katie on grass in 07 (Surbiton and Eastbourne) :spit:

jake270392
Jan 10th, 2009, 08:45 PM
Has she beaten Mel though in the past

Europe rocks
Jan 10th, 2009, 08:50 PM
Yep - once in 2005 and once last year
2005 ITF/Nuriootpa: (1 - #152)M.Yuan def. (#449)M.South 7-6(4) 6-3
2008 Los Angeles: (#122)M.Yuan def. (LL - #156)M.South 6-2 6-3

serenus_2k8
Jan 11th, 2009, 12:33 AM
Mel has qualified. Cant believe it :eek: :lol: :bounce:

patch.
Jan 11th, 2009, 12:50 AM
reversing the score she lost to Yuan in Los Angeles :lol:
good qualification :yeah:

IMPOSSIBLE
Jan 11th, 2009, 01:05 AM
Melanie :yeah:

Callum
Jan 11th, 2009, 03:24 AM
Well Maria is out of AO so I guess that means Mel is in?

Joe.
Jan 11th, 2009, 07:52 AM
go mel:D
i guess she is in ao main draw too coz of maria. poor maria though:sad:

WIMBY
Jan 11th, 2009, 09:09 AM
Well done Melanie, three straight sets wins over very good players and now in the Sydney Main Draw. Good luck. :)

JAMESYBABY!
Jan 11th, 2009, 09:45 AM
she now faces bartoli :D.. i hope she gets revenge now. from the canadien touni!

Here is a great article by Aceman on GB Tennis Girls
Fantastic win from Mel against the type of player that can break her game down and generally a great couple of days here. Hope she can make it count and gain a win in the main draw.

Watched her match against Barrois and was very impressed. Mel doesn't compromise at all and any ball she can get a hit on she pounds. Barrois likes more time on the ball and has lovely fluid shots but Mel's pace was hurting her. Barrois was trying to mix it up with slice and drop shots but to be honest Mel was more than up to it seeming unbothered by the variation of spin and making all of Barrois' dropshots.

The first set was close all the way but Mel kept hammering the ball and eventually broke Barrois down. The courts bounced low and fast which really suits Mel's game. In the second game of the second set Mel played an incredible point at break point retrieving a smash and volley before whipping a forehand passing shot cross court that stunned everyone and sent the crowd while. Mel held easily after that and Barrois then seemed at a complete loss as to what to do. She called her coach who was sat on the opposite side of the court and had to run all the way round the netting to get to her by which time he had hardly any of the changeover left to speak to his player which incensed Barrois who had been gesturing for him to jump over the net and cross the court. After that the result was never in doubt.

Been a couple of years since I've seen Mel play and she's matured a lot. Last time I saw her she was still whacking the ball as hard as she could but it was as likely to be a wild error as it was a winner. In Sydney her unforced error count was so low and when she was in trouble instead of hitting her way out of it she would throw in a slice or loopy ball to get herself back in the point and work it until she could be aggressive. Her movement was a million times better than when I last watched as well which must be a contributing factor to her rise last year. The first serve is great, the second doesn't have much margin for error and would prefer to see her develop some spin on it to make it a bit easier on herself. She is still as extremely feisty and very pumped up and can do some damage on this surface.

After disappointment last week she looks in great form here and exciting start to the year.

an articel of mels win against barrios.

serenus_2k8
Jan 11th, 2009, 09:57 AM
^ Gr8 article thx 4 post. I hope Bartolis form isnt what it was last week. The easy defeat in the final may knock her. I love Marion but Mel needs this more.

wales1994
Jan 11th, 2009, 10:10 AM
GL against Marion Mel ;) is she in the AO Open now cause of Sharapova??

Mforensic
Jan 11th, 2009, 01:23 PM
Awesome job in qualifying Mel! On the road to top 100!

Dawson.
Jan 11th, 2009, 01:41 PM
Good job Mel, but she has to draw bartoli though :firey: oh well, she took a set of her in montreal, lets hope marion is exhausted from last week ;) lucky douchbagvina drawing starr :ras: :lol:

I'm happy Mel is in the main draw of the AO, but for Maria Sharapova (of all people) to pull out is such a shame. I wish her speedy recovery

jake270392
Jan 11th, 2009, 04:12 PM
Yes good luck to mel, its going to be tough match but I think shes got the game to beat Marion, they are alike

Escape
Jan 11th, 2009, 06:21 PM
Congrats to Mel on qualifying :yeah: and good luck against Bartoli :)

serenus_2k8
Jan 11th, 2009, 07:47 PM
Yeah Bartoli might be a bit tired out but its only Week 2 so its unlikely. Its sooo unlucky that Mel has drawn the highest possible player, but it will be a great test for her ahead of AO and who knows, it could be a great confidence boost :shrug:

Europe rocks
Jan 11th, 2009, 08:34 PM
Mel doesn't seem to have much luck with these draw placements. Still, 2 wins over top 90 players and finally getting past Yuan and now she can just go out there and see what happens against Bartoli. Nice to see her in the MD of the Aussie Open as well, let's just hope she doesn't draw a top seed in the first round :help:

nicky-j-c
Jan 12th, 2009, 01:32 AM
Sadly! (because i like her too) Bartoli is injured (ANOTHER ONE!?!)
Mel got through 1-1 ret.
Good points to pick up though!
Cubulkova or Wozniacki Next...
tough but both can be hit and miss (Wozniacki missed big time last week!)
xx

WIMBY
Jan 12th, 2009, 02:07 AM
This will put Melanie just short of the top 100 at 101

From GBTennisGirls site

What unbelievable luck, but to be honest, she deserved the points - had she faced the players she faced in qualifying in the main draw of a 100K+ ITF and beaten them, she'd have got far more reward.

I make it that she now has 610 (current) + (20 for qualifying + 60 for reaching R2) - 18 (16th best) = 672 points

This week's no. 100 has 690 and this week's 101 has 666, so she's as on the edge of the top 100 as it's possible to be!

serenus_2k8
Jan 12th, 2009, 07:51 AM
Onwards Mel! Now she has another player I like :p My support is with Mel tho! She has first match on so we can follow the score :woohoo:

Mforensic
Jan 12th, 2009, 10:03 AM
With her win she is currently at 102. 1 more win away from top 100!!!!!

WIMBY
Jan 12th, 2009, 12:11 PM
Come on Melanie :devil::)

scheele
Jan 12th, 2009, 01:27 PM
Well done mel! And anne of course.:)

Joe.
Jan 12th, 2009, 05:58 PM
gd luck against caroline mel :) she was in amazing form against dominika so it is gonna be really tough;)

Europe rocks
Jan 12th, 2009, 08:36 PM
Up to 102 :) Good luck against Wozniacki, just try your best and let's hope the Wozniacki who played against Vesnina turns up today!

Play_Suspended
Jan 12th, 2009, 09:34 PM
Up to 102 :) Good luck against Wozniacki, just try your best and let's hope the Wozniacki who played against Vesnina turns up today!

Nah, mel can handle a peak Wozniacki...;)

WIMBY
Jan 12th, 2009, 09:40 PM
102, well done Melanie :woohoo:

Monica_Rules
Jan 12th, 2009, 10:44 PM
Come on mel tonight. Blow her off the court.

I hope she gets a good draw at the AUS open so she can show what she's made of.

IMPOSSIBLE
Jan 13th, 2009, 12:21 AM
Caroline Wozniacki d. Melanie South 6-2 6-0

http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/7954/meltm7.png

serenus_2k8
Jan 13th, 2009, 12:31 AM
Sad but she did her best. She is so close to top 100 - I bet she loses in R1 of AO now :o

2nd Game of the 2nd set was the nail in the coffin IMO.

scheele
Jan 13th, 2009, 09:33 AM
I hope she gets a good draw at the ozzy open. A win or two would be wonderful for her confidence and tennis.

WIMBY
Jan 13th, 2009, 11:22 AM
Well done in Sydney Melanie, you are certainly moving on up, hope you get a good draw in Oz Open :)

From LTA site

Mel South’s fine run at the Medibank International in Sydney came to an end on Tuesday, losing against world No.12 Caroline Wozniacki of Denmark 2-6 0-6.

“It’s been a great week and there are a ton of positives for Mel to take away from here to next week’s Australian Open and the season ahead,” said South’s coach, Simon Walsh.

“The score didn’t reflect the quality of the match and the closeness of a lot of the games. The first set was very high quality and Mel had some real chances which she wasn’t able to convert.”

“She is playing very well and her game has gone to a new level. For Mel, it’s now about getting this type of invaluable experience and exposure of competing against the top players more often.”

On her way to the second round, the 21 year-old came through three qualifying matches without dropping a set before facing Marion Bartoli of France in the opening round, the former Wimbledon runner-up withdrawing through injury at 1-1 in the first set.

Having gained direct entry into the Aussie Open main draw, South will now join Keothavong in Melbourne to compete in the first Grand Slam of the year.

WIMBY
Jan 13th, 2009, 11:25 AM
Caroline Wozniacki d. Melanie South 6-2 6-0

http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/7954/meltm7.png

Fab BlueMoon, your graph certainly shows the fight and potential :worship:

Joe.
Jan 13th, 2009, 12:06 PM
some of the games were SOOO close

jake270392
Jan 13th, 2009, 02:28 PM
Yes unlikely for had some good oppurtunities in 1st set but Wozniacki is a very good player. Hope South can get a good draw at AO

smithy1976
Jan 13th, 2009, 03:30 PM
great for mel

just looking at the players... i think someon like del los rios would be good, or some of the players shwe would just out power. do we know if she will get in the doubles draw or is she gonna play doubles qualies?

Dawson.
Jan 13th, 2009, 03:47 PM
I'm praying for Mel to get a good draw at the AO. I can just imagine the haters having a field day if she gets whitewashed in round 1.

I'd love her to draw Yuan or Amanmuradova again :angel:

But even some seeded players are in shakey form at the beginning of the season. Szavay, Chakvetadze, Bondarenko, Kirilenko, even Ivanovic! :lol: Obviously I'm not saying Mel would be favourite to beat these players, but if these players are having and off day, Mel sure could take advantage of it.

jake270392
Jan 13th, 2009, 04:04 PM
I hope she does get in doubles, with the right partner, she could get far into the tournament, I believe that she would do better in doubles, so lets hope she can get in.

serenus_2k8
Jan 13th, 2009, 06:17 PM
Personally I dont care about doubles compared to singles. I think its nice if a Brit has a good doubles tourny but unless they are more focused on doubles like with Sarah I'm not really concerned

jake270392
Jan 13th, 2009, 06:27 PM
Yeah I agree but I do think Mel could be a much better doubles player than singles, Im not saying she isnt a good singles player though.
Maybe in a few years like Sarah, she can convert to doubles.

WIMBY
Jan 15th, 2009, 11:21 PM
Well the draw is out and it is a rematch for Melanie

Melanie South v Martion Bartoli (16) :)

15/01/2009

Melanie goes South to crack top 100 and a place in the Australian Open

By Mike Dickson Mail On Line

Sunny South: Melanie is nudging the world's top 100

Nobody needs to tell Melanie South just how long and winding the road is to the world's top 100. The 22-year-old daughter of an ex-footballer left home in New Malden, Surrey in September and will not be going back until her business is finished at the Australian Open.

She has played a dizzying schedule of events around Asia and Australia, but the reward for her globetrotting is a place in the Open draw by right and, possibly, the achievement of her immediate goal to join Anne Keothavong in the top 100.

The ranking will be secured if she wins a round in the year's opening Grand Slam and South was waiting anxiously for Thursday night's draw.

'I could say that the last few months have been hard, but the truth is that I like life on the road,' says South, who learned a lot of her tennis on courts across the road from the All England Club.

'I have really enjoyed myself. Of course, you miss friends and family when you're away on a long trip like this but I have spent a lot of time in Australia and I consider it my second home. I knew I was going to have to play a lot if I'm going to achieve my ambitions.'

It is indicative of the years of failure that next week will be the first time since Jo Durie and Clare Wood played at the 1993 U.S. Open that two British women will be in a Grand Slam field without needing a wildcard.

But things are slowly improving and beneath the more high-profile successes of Keothavong and Laura Robson - who will be in the junior event - there are a group of players gradually on the up.

While they were facing further matches on Friday, the progress of Britain's women was indicated by their fortunes in the first round of Open qualifying. Katie O' Brien, Georgie Stoop and Elena Baltacha all progressed without dropping a set.

For South, whose father John played for Brentford in the Sixties, one key has been the hiring of Australian coach Simon Walsh by the Lawn Tennis Association. He is an expert in taking players from being also-rans into the top 100
He helped Keothavong do it before devoting his energies to South. She reached the second round of this week's Sydney Open, meaning that her ranking on Monday is likely to be one or two outside the top 100.

South said: 'When you get a wildcard at Wimbledon you are very grateful but it's a great feeling walking around here at another Grand Slam knowing that you are in the field purely because you have earned it. That does great things for your confidence

serenus_2k8
Jan 16th, 2009, 04:15 AM
Why ru a Marion magnet :o

Good luck, I wouldnt mind Bartoli pulling out now to rest :)

WIMBY
Jan 16th, 2009, 10:53 AM
Every Grand Slam and Melanie has drawn a seed!! Still, brill experience to play such a highly ranked player, hope it is on TV :)

serenus_2k8
Jan 16th, 2009, 11:09 AM
Every Grand Slam and Melanie has drawn a seed!! Still, brill experience to play such a highly ranked player, hope it is on TV :)

It should be on Brit ES, its a very xciting time for Brit tennis, and we dont get 2 MD (perhaps more) players in every slam.

jake270392
Jan 16th, 2009, 05:54 PM
Yes every time Mel makes MD for a tier event or Grand slam event, she also seems to draw bartoli, she doesnt have the greatest record agaisnt her, even though she beat her last week but that was due to injury, but hopefully she can win and be on a televisied court.

Europe rocks
Jan 16th, 2009, 08:15 PM
Yes every time Mel makes MD for a tier event or Grand slam event, she also seems to draw bartoli, she doesnt have the greatest record agaisnt her, even though she beat her last week but that was due to injury, but hopefully she can win and be on a televisied court.

I was thinking that when I first saw the draw - what does Mel have to do to get away from a seed?! Once again, up against Marion :o This is the 12th time in her career Mel has been in the MD of a Tour level event and it's the fourth time she's come up against Marion, three times in the first round. There must be forces out there working in biased ways!

Europe rocks
Jan 16th, 2009, 08:20 PM
Btw, Mel is 28 in the race :devil:

jake270392
Jan 17th, 2009, 09:00 AM
Looking at the schedule of play, Mel South is on show court 3, do you think the match will be shown on Eurosport or BBC.

scheele
Jan 17th, 2009, 01:03 PM
It might get on British Eurosport. I doubt it will make the beeb.

serenus_2k8
Jan 17th, 2009, 02:31 PM
Looking at the schedule of play, Mel South is on show court 3, do you think the match will be shown on Eurosport or BBC.

BBC are showing the AO :confused: :eek:

Play_Suspended
Jan 17th, 2009, 03:24 PM
BBC are showing the AO :confused: :eek:

They have some. All of Andy's matches will be live on BBC 1 or 2. Plus they have live coverage of all the evening sessions from 8.30 am on BBC interactive (which will also be streamed on the website). There are highlights on BBC interactive the rest of the time. The mens final is live on BBC 2 and there are highlights of the womens final on the saturaday at 1pm BBC2. So the women would have to make a night session to be on the beeb.

jake270392
Jan 17th, 2009, 03:39 PM
Do you think British Eurosport will show the girls matches considering their on a televisied court, because I think they have the rights to every televised court.

Play_Suspended
Jan 17th, 2009, 04:29 PM
Do you think British Eurosport will show the girls matches considering their on a televisied court, because I think they have the rights to every televised court.

I hope so:)

WIMBY
Jan 17th, 2009, 05:20 PM
Show court 3 has cameras, fingers crossed it will be shown on Eurosport of BBC interactive.

Melanie up to 102 in the rankings today :bounce:

Mforensic
Jan 18th, 2009, 12:12 PM
Mel will be inside the top 100 regardless of how she does in round 1

WIMBY
Jan 18th, 2009, 03:50 PM
Mel will be inside the top 100 regardless of how she does in round 1

Fab u lous :worship: Go for it Melanie. :devil::worship:

Monica_Rules
Jan 18th, 2009, 04:53 PM
Doesn't it depend on how the other ranked around her do though?

Shes ranked 95 before the open but theres about 15 players below her that could win a 1st round match and jump above her.

Monica_Rules
Jan 18th, 2009, 04:56 PM

Shes ranked 95 before the open but theres about 15 players below her that could win a 1st round match and jump above her.

Europe rocks
Jan 18th, 2009, 09:14 PM

That's correct - I worked out earlier how many players could overtake her, but I can't remember off the top of my head

ChinChin
Jan 18th, 2009, 10:06 PM
Go Mel :D I hope she can upset Marion in first round :)

serenus_2k8
Jan 18th, 2009, 10:30 PM
That's correct - I worked out earlier how many players could overtake her, but I can't remember off the top of my head

Very unlikely they all would, or even 5 or more would. I hope they dont :p

Anyway Mel will win her first round match :D

WIMBY
Jan 19th, 2009, 03:02 AM
Marion d Melanie 6-2 6-4 :sad:

Slutiana
Jan 19th, 2009, 03:10 AM
:sad: It was up and down, I think she just needs a bit more work and she could go far.

Dawson.
Jan 19th, 2009, 03:14 AM
Mel certainly capable of breaking top 100 and higher if she just becomes more controlled and cuts down on the errors.

Play_Suspended
Jan 19th, 2009, 04:51 AM
Mel :(

WIMBY
Jan 19th, 2009, 08:35 AM
19/01/2009 FROM LTA WEBSITE
Brits bow out of Australian Open

Mel South, Katie O’Brien and Anne Keothavong battled hard but lost in the first round of the Australian Open on Monday.

South, the British number two, was playing in her first Grand Slam main draw event without the aid of a wildcard.
The 22 year old has risen to a career high of 102 in the world courtesy of a run of good results towards the end of 2008 which was enough to see her secure a place amongst the elite in Australia.

South never looked overawed by her opponent, Marion Bartoli of France, despite the difference in ranking and led the second set 4-1 before a run of five straight games helped the 16th seed and Wimbledon finalist in 2007 to a 6-2 6-4 victory.

Despite the defeat, South still had plenty to be positive about: “I’m disappointed to have lost particularly having played her a couple of times before and knowing I could beat her.

“I played a really bad game at 4-1 in the second set which was frustrating but getting into the main draw on my ranking has been a good start to the year for me.”

South is already looking ahead to next month’s Fed Cup competition and beyond, relishing the opportunity to get back on court. “It’s been a good tournament, not just for me but for all the British girls.

“I’ve got plenty of confidence making main draw and just need a couple of wins and should crack the top 100. I’ve been working hard recently with my coach Simon Walsh and it’s nice when that hard work pays off.”

Speaking after the match Head Coach of Women’s Tennis Nigel Sears said:

Mel showed great spirit to put the first set behind her and get to 4-1 in the second. It’s no disgrace to lose to someone like Bartoli.”

(No mention of the strapping on her shoulder, probably affected her serve?)

Europe rocks
Jan 19th, 2009, 08:17 PM
I remember all that fuss people made when Mel and Patricia Mayr were on their way up to the AOMD. Mel gets Bartoli and then Mayr draws Schruff and gets an easy win :o Tough match for Mel, but hopefully the experience will help her in the long run. She knows what went wrong and she can build on this result.

Mel currently at 98 now. Players in action tomorrow who could overtake her are:
Yakimova (vs Dulko)
Pin (vs Zheng)
Rodionova (vs Kuznetsova)
Kerber (vs Venus)

serenus_2k8
Jan 19th, 2009, 09:05 PM
Kerber and Rodionova really shouldnt win at all. Pin should be beaten comfortably and Yakimova too. I think she may make it into the top 100. Where is Mel playing after Fed Cup?

Edit: Memphis ;) :lol:

wales1994
Jan 20th, 2009, 04:34 PM
All 4 lost i think :woohoo: so shes deffo in top 100? WD :D hope she can build on it like Anne :D

robbie12
Jan 20th, 2009, 05:00 PM
I think Mel is 99% in the top 100 after AO. Looking at the projected rankings these are the only people left below Mel who could overtake her

107 - Elena Baltacha 606 (needs 3R) next vs Mauresmo
114 - Virginia Ruano Pascual 579 (needs 4R) next vs Wozniacki
116 - Sesil Karatantcheva 576 (needs 4R) next vs Peng
126 - Sania Mirza 548 (needs 4R) next vs Petrova
131 - Alberta Brianti 514 (needs 4R) next vs Ivanovic
139 - Jessica Moore 447 (needs QF) next vs Pennetta
162 - Jelena Dokic 377 (needs QF) next vs Chakvetadze
189 - Tatjana Malek 320 (needs QF) next vs Kuznetsova
248 - Andrea Petkovic 210 (needs SF) next vs Cornet

To be honest the only one of those I can see winning is Karatantcheva (the only one not facing a seed) and after that she would probably face Serena.

The ideal scenario for us Brits is for Bally to win and all the others to lose and we wouldbe guaranteed 3 girls in the top 100!!

jake270392
Jan 20th, 2009, 06:40 PM
It looks promising for both Elena and Mel to go into top 100. GL to both.

Europe rocks
Jan 20th, 2009, 08:10 PM
I think Mel is 99% in the top 100 after AO. Looking at the projected rankings these are the only people left below Mel who could overtake her

107 - Elena Baltacha 606 (needs 3R) next vs Mauresmo
114 - Virginia Ruano Pascual 579 (needs 4R) next vs Wozniacki
116 - Sesil Karatantcheva 576 (needs 4R) next vs Peng
126 - Sania Mirza 548 (needs 4R) next vs Petrova
131 - Alberta Brianti 514 (needs 4R) next vs Ivanovic
139 - Jessica Moore 447 (needs QF) next vs Pennetta
162 - Jelena Dokic 377 (needs QF) next vs Chakvetadze
189 - Tatjana Malek 320 (needs QF) next vs Kuznetsova
248 - Andrea Petkovic 210 (needs SF) next vs Cornet

To be honest the only one of those I can see winning is Karatantcheva (the only one not facing a seed) and after that she would probably face Serena.

The ideal scenario for us Brits is for Bally to win and all the others to lose and we wouldbe guaranteed 3 girls in the top 100!!

Thanks for doing all that! Looking good for Mel, but let's hope that Bally can join her in the single digit rankings!

WIMBY
Jan 20th, 2009, 08:41 PM
Wow, thanks for all that hard work :worship:

serenus_2k8
Jan 20th, 2009, 09:04 PM
Thats really interesting. So bally is the closest to overtaking her :eek:

How is it possible though? I thought Mel lost 25 points (30 from last year lost and 5 added for R128) so I expected her to be ranked 105?

robbie12
Jan 21st, 2009, 04:42 PM
How is it possible though? I thought Mel lost 25 points (30 from last year lost and 5 added for R128) so I expected her to be ranked 105?

You're half right! Mel did lose some points because the AO counted as mandatory due to her getting direct entry. But (so far) only three people behind her in the rankings overtook her but about seven above her were losing a lot of points so have ended up behind Mel which is why at the moment she is projected to be 98.

serenus_2k8
Jan 21st, 2009, 04:52 PM
You're half right! Mel did lose some points because the AO counted as mandatory due to her getting direct entry. But (so far) only three people behind her in the rankings overtook her but about seven above her were losing a lot of points so have ended up behind Mel which is why at the moment she is projected to be 98.

Yeh I hadnt considered the other people, thanks for letting me know! Thats great.

So she is 98 and Bally is real close now too if she wins :bounce:

Mforensic
Jan 21st, 2009, 05:55 PM
If Bally wins, she will be around 96 and will push Mel down to 99

serenus_2k8
Jan 21st, 2009, 06:40 PM
So one match away from 3 top 100 women and a different British number 2 ;) I hope Mel and Bally can travel together to motivate themselves :eek: That wuld be great :)

These last few months have been great for British tennis, and I am so glad the start to this season has kept the momentum rolling! Do we know where Mel is hoping to play after Fed Cup and Memphis? I cant find the site for Memphis anywhere :(

WIMBY
Jan 21st, 2009, 06:59 PM
Sony Erickson WTA Tour - tournaments - Memphis is

http://www.rmkchampionships.com

3 in top 100 would be awesome :bounce:

serenus_2k8
Jan 21st, 2009, 08:30 PM
Yeh I cudnt find Womens entry list but I did in the end :)

And Mel is playing: Monterray Open, 75k Midland, IW and Miami :)

WIMBY
Jan 22nd, 2009, 04:29 PM
Tournaments Melanie has entered are listed on her site. Will she enter the top 100????

Europe rocks
Jan 22nd, 2009, 08:11 PM
Only Dokic left to overtake Mel now, so she should be top 100 in February :)

WIMBY
Jan 25th, 2009, 04:29 PM
Bartoli beat the world number 1 1-6 4-6 so Melanie got a game more off Marion :)

serenus_2k8
Jan 25th, 2009, 07:20 PM
:lol: yeh great Mel, that makes ur loss far nicer in my eyes :hearts:

I love Bartoli, she reminds me a bit of Mel. Did any1 think Mel and Kleybanova were alike?

Europe rocks
Jan 25th, 2009, 09:00 PM
Mel's gonna drop down another place now that Jelena has reached the last eight, but still should be top 100 :)

WIMBY
Jan 26th, 2009, 12:29 AM
Top 100 yeah :bounce:

Joe.
Feb 2nd, 2009, 06:48 AM
number 99 :D:D:D :rockon:

Mforensic
Feb 2nd, 2009, 10:16 AM
Unfortunately Mel. will drop below 100 next week, since she isn't playing any tournies this week

coyets
Feb 2nd, 2009, 11:30 AM
Unfortunately Mel. will drop below 100 next week, since she isn't playing any tournies this week

There are no WTA tournies this week because of the Fed Cup. How many players will overtake Mel with points gained at the ITF tournies?

WIMBY
Feb 2nd, 2009, 02:06 PM
Top 100 Melanie, well done :woohoo:

Mel will drop back to about 102 and then she is in US for a couple of months so soon be back up. :)

jamatthews
Feb 2nd, 2009, 02:14 PM
There are no WTA tournies this week because of the Fed Cup. How many players will overtake Mel with points gained at the ITF tournies?

It's not that people gaining points, with the season starting a week later her Midland SF points (50) are coming off.

From Stuart Fraser from AndyMurray.com (I believe).

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m201/wolf2_01/MelanieSouth.jpg

From LTA Site:

http://www.lta.org.uk/PhotoGallery/Fed%20Cup/Mel%20South%20relaxes%20with%20doubles%20coach%20L ouis%20Cayer.jpg

WIMBY
Feb 2nd, 2009, 02:17 PM
Nice pics, thanks for posting :worship:

JAMESYBABY!
Feb 2nd, 2009, 02:24 PM
mel i slook fitter than last year:D

congrats! for the 99 world ranking spot:D

now go kick as sin fed cup :cool:

robbie12
Feb 2nd, 2009, 02:38 PM

It doesn't matter too much that she's going to fall back out next week. The main thing is that she's broken the mental barrier of entering the top 100. OK she has to re-enter but there won't be any pressure this time as she's achieved it.

Europe rocks
Feb 2nd, 2009, 07:51 PM
Nicely done Mel :) Finally broken the top 100 barrier and hopefully you can have a decent run in the Fed Cup

IMPOSSIBLE
Feb 2nd, 2009, 10:31 PM
she is back to blonde hair again :yeah:

Mforensic
Feb 2nd, 2009, 11:58 PM

she wlll drop about 3 spots.

serenus_2k8
Feb 3rd, 2009, 04:16 PM
She looks great! I hope her and the other girls take the Fed Cup by storm :armed:

I am really optimistic, I can see them doing well :D

WIMBY
Feb 4th, 2009, 08:15 PM
Mel & Sarah won doubles 6-4 6-3 v Hungary so team 3 - 0 up :bounce::bounce:

Europe rocks
Feb 4th, 2009, 08:18 PM
Well done Mel :) Nice to see you getting into the swing of things in the doubles

WIMBY
Feb 6th, 2009, 04:00 PM
Mel wins her first singles Fed Cup match in only half an hour and then Mel/Sarah were given a walk over in the doubles!!!:bounce::bounce:

James(Y)
Feb 7th, 2009, 07:48 PM
well now that fed cup's over, where's mel heading off next?

Europe rocks
Feb 7th, 2009, 08:08 PM
She's down on the list for the WTA event in Memphis in a couple of weeks, not sure if she is playing before that

Mforensic
Feb 7th, 2009, 08:09 PM
Memphis.....she's not on any lists before that.

serenus_2k8
Feb 7th, 2009, 08:29 PM
Great, week off for rest and then Memphis :woohoo:

Dawson.
Feb 7th, 2009, 10:49 PM
they should have used mel for the doubles today :(

but anyways, good luck in memphis mel :)