PDA

View Full Version : Nice, objective *Belgian* article about Williams' comeback

pigam
Apr 3rd, 2004, 12:53 PM
Serena launches the attack
Williams-sisters determined to knock Kim & Justine off their throne
During a period of eight months, womenstennis had to do without Serena Williams. It took her one week to convince everyone that she is eager to hit the Belgiangirls out of the poleposition of the rankings. Satedaynight (belgian time) she plays in Key Biskane, her first tournament since her comeback. At the same time her first final.

For a whole week long, Serena pulled out all the stops: booming serves, fabulous forehands and a stylish outfit. For the latter, she can always count on her designer-sister Venus. Because, let us put one thing clearly: whoever says Serena, says Venus. The sisters are more inseperable than ever.
Venus returned to the circuit in january, already. But her attempts to retake her place at the top have been rather up and down. Also this week in Key Biscane, she struggeled prematurely (?). A slight imperfection in the carreerplanning? Or will the elder sister Venus never become her old self again? Venus, 23 now, en Serena, 22, have been working at their comebacck during fall in Florida. That's why, Key Biscane, a 'suburb' of Miami. In the mean time, 'the Sisters' have refuted all gossip about 'tennisfatigue'. There digresses, however, where countless. During fall, they appeared together in New York for the MTV Music Awards. We could regularly see Serena as an actress in American Series like 'Law and Order' and 'The Division'.

Management
Al those sideline activities are staying on the Sisters' agenda, although Serena appears a bit more extravert in her choices. She knows how to handle her business. Two weeks ago, Serena announced she would change managmentagencies. She exchanged IMG for William Morris. A lucrative transfer, without a doubt, just like the one with her clothingsponsor. While Venus stays loyal to Reebok, Nike 'stole' Serena away from Puma by means of a fiveyear contract worth 40 million dollars.
The 'panter-brand' treated us the past few years to a défilé of all possible colours: from pink to purple to even a Cameroon socceroutfit, long yellow socks included. And last but not least the eyecatching 'catsuit' during the USOpen 2002.
Nike proved during Serena's first playweek, it doesn't want to stay behind. Firstly, Serena appeared in a 'flapping' white skirt and later in what she herself calls her 'Wonder Woman outfit': a two-pieced tight-fitting virginwhite ensemble with a sportstop and hotpants. Navelpiercing and gigantic earrings made her image of showbeast (?) complete.

Olympic Gold
Showbeast ànd ace-beast. Daniilidoe received 7aces during their semifinal. Let things be clear: Serena starts as a topfavorite in all her following tournaments. Despite Kim Clijsters, despite Justine Henin. The plans for 2004 are big. "This year we're playing Fed Cup for the United States", both patriottic sisters assured Zina Garisson. "And this summer I'll go for Olympic Gold", Serena said in Key Biscane. The reign of Kim and Justine shakes to its foundations ...

http://www.vrtnieuws.net/nieuwsnet_master/default/sport/overzicht/Tennis_040401key_biscayne_HF_serena/S_040401_williams_serena-20040401-213810.jpg http://www.vrtnieuws.net/nieuwsnet_master/default/sport/overzicht/Tennis_040330key_biscayne_williams/S_040330_VENUSmm-20040330-084323.jpg

I translated the article myself from Dutch, so sorry for any awkward words, constructions, sentences etc ...
Hope Williams fans like it as I did. I think it' nice and realistic. :wavey:

bandabou
Apr 3rd, 2004, 01:00 PM
Thx for the article....hate them or love them, but one has to admit that with the return of first Venus and now Serena, tennis has become waaaayyyy more exciting again.

pigam
Apr 3rd, 2004, 01:15 PM
true.
Real sportslovers aknowledge that.

bandabou
Apr 3rd, 2004, 01:26 PM
true.
Real sportslovers aknowledge that.

Yep....even as a fan of the Williamses, I liked it better when people stood up them...last year was exciting in the majors as the belgians stepped it up at the plate. Can´t wait for those 4 players to be fully healthy and match-tough again.

pigam
Apr 3rd, 2004, 02:21 PM
Yep....even as a fan of the Williamses, I liked it better when people stood up them...last year was exciting in the majors as the belgians stepped it up at the plate. Can´t wait for those 4 players to be fully healthy and match-tough again.
:bounce: And once Amélie will be fit and some of the Russians improve, it could become one of the 'strongest' era's ever!

bandabou
Apr 3rd, 2004, 04:25 PM
:bounce: And once Amélie will be fit and some of the Russians improve, it could become one of the 'strongest' era's ever!

:worship: :bounce:

Fedcup
Apr 3rd, 2004, 05:00 PM
Thx for the article....hate them or love them, but one has to admit that with the return of first Venus and now Serena, tennis has become waaaayyyy more exciting again.
That's true. We need them.
Just like we need Kim and Justine. Take them away and we are in the same situation again.

We need the batlles between those 4 top players and others.
WTA is becoming interesting again this summer :bounce:

nikita771
Apr 3rd, 2004, 05:07 PM
I definitely agree. Although I'd be lying to say that I haven't enjoyed tennis without Venus or Serena, it is definitely way more interesting to me now. I love what they bring to the court and look forward to seeing much of them for the rest of the season. I just hope that my girl Venus picks it up and gets back into her stride.