PDA

View Full Version : Which Russian do you think will be greatest?

Mr_Molik
Apr 3rd, 2004, 07:24 AM
What do you guys reckon?

GoGoMaggie
Apr 3rd, 2004, 07:25 AM
Svetlana Bupalenko

Mr_Molik
Apr 3rd, 2004, 07:30 AM
i chose petrova because she hits a strong, heavy ball and has the best serve
she has the ability to completely overpower opponents and can match it with the william sisters from the baseline

IIOoIaMaGirLoOII
Apr 3rd, 2004, 07:31 AM
isn't nadia injury prone??

SpikeyAidanm
Apr 3rd, 2004, 07:32 AM
shaivonskai (sp)

davenport_1
Apr 3rd, 2004, 07:33 AM
Dementieva has the best groundstrokes on tour

IIOoIaMaGirLoOII
Apr 3rd, 2004, 07:35 AM
i would say lena has the best on tour but she probably has the best out of the russians :)

Mr_Molik
Apr 3rd, 2004, 07:36 AM
isn't nadia injury prone??
yes, but when she has fully developed as a player and is healthy, i think she will be a real grandslam threat, while most of the other girls will probably end up consistent quarter-finalists.
other russians i think will win a slam- sharapova, maybe dementieva or myskina

Mr_Molik
Apr 3rd, 2004, 07:37 AM
i disagree
i think she has one of the best forehands, and the best crosscourt forehand, but definitely not best backhand

IIOoIaMaGirLoOII
Apr 3rd, 2004, 07:39 AM
lena has made inprovements on her backhand though.. still not the best

Jakeev
Apr 3rd, 2004, 09:09 AM
I just read about a girl who won a Junior tournament in Brazil named Irina Kotkina and when I saw her picture my eyes just nearly popped out.

I was stunned at how incredible fit she looked. I mean she is downright gorgeous. Anybody no much about her?

I don't think I have seen a teenager more physically fit looking then this young lady.

daniela86
Apr 3rd, 2004, 09:16 AM
It is a difficult question... I choose Kuznetsova :) but I think Myskina has a great game too!

pigam
Apr 3rd, 2004, 09:31 AM
Justine once 'predicted' Zvonareva :confused:
I don't really know... You can never tell. I'd say ... hmmm... Kuznetsova

MLF
Apr 3rd, 2004, 09:38 AM
I think possibly Kuznetsova due to the fact she is pretty good in all areas of the game already , good groundies, decent serve, happy at net and athletic. Her type of all court game always takes a while to mature and all the doubles play will do her good for the future. All the other top Russians at the moment have at least one obvious weakness apart from Sveta.

bandabou
Apr 3rd, 2004, 10:28 AM
I think Svetlana too.....Maria got all the hype, but until she learns the word: strategy, she ain´t winning anything bigger than the tier IV´s she won.

bandabou
Apr 3rd, 2004, 10:29 AM
I was big on elena B, but she isn´t developing as I expected....

TatiAnnahølic
Apr 3rd, 2004, 10:38 AM
Anna if not Maria or Sveta

flyingmachine
Apr 3rd, 2004, 10:52 AM
I think Myskina and Kuznetsova will be the great Russian players. Myskina has a good game plan and one of the best tactician in the game she will last a long time. :) Kuznetsova she's only 18 but already techical she has a good all round game. :drool: People keep saying how boring women's tennis is at the moment but I think the future is a very good one especailly if the Russians succesed.

Belgium = Best
Apr 3rd, 2004, 11:10 AM
Myskina :)

:wavey:

Vass22
Apr 3rd, 2004, 11:14 AM
Sveta is almost certain to become No.1. We already start to see how her game would look like in the future: all winners. Now she misses the balls down the line, in half a year she'll smack them in 3 cm from the line.
Who's future I'm worried about is Sharapova. I have a feeling that she'll go through trouble entering the top-10 at the age of 20. Does nayone else feel this: she doesn't have room for expansion like Svetlana?

bandabou
Apr 3rd, 2004, 11:51 AM
Sveta is almost certain to become No.1. We already start to see how her game would look like in the future: all winners. Now she misses the balls down the line, in half a year she'll smack them in 3 cm from the line.
Who's future I'm worried about is Sharapova. I have a feeling that she'll go through trouble entering the top-10 at the age of 20. Does nayone else feel this: she doesn't have room for expansion like Svetlana?

No.1?! Now, now....are the elite foursome retiring that soon?! Maria needs some strategy coach...blasting and just blasting, will only win you tier III and IV´s.

pav
Apr 3rd, 2004, 11:55 AM
I'll stick with Vera Z. Within the space of about 4 weeks so many have jumped on Svetas back after a short run of success its lucky Her legs are strong, Maria S. was going to murder all the other Russians according to some, popular word said Myskina and Elena D. had reached their peak and were on the slide a year and a half ago,Vera Z. was on the verge of slam wins, then the same knowledgable tennis writers almost call Her hog-shit when She loses a few,Nadia up and down with injuries, what pans out over the next couple of years will be very interesting, I think We are so anxious for Russian success We build them up too quick, and if they don't meet Our instant expectations We proceed to demolish them,but it is all amusing!

esquímaux
Apr 3rd, 2004, 12:05 PM
shaivonskai (sp)Lioudmila Skavronskaia??? :tape:

I was big on elena B, but she isn´t developing as I expected....
:lol: :o

Vass22
Apr 3rd, 2004, 12:12 PM
No.1?! Now, now....are the elite foursome retiring that soon?! .
Now, now.... She's piercing right through them.

bandabou
Apr 3rd, 2004, 12:17 PM
Now, now.... She's piercing right through them.

One win doesn´t a career make!

Mariangelina
Apr 3rd, 2004, 12:34 PM
I voted for Masha because she's still so young but is doing so well. But I suspect the very talented Sveta will also become a top 5 player. Lena D and Nastya may not have peaked yet, but I don't think they'll get all that much higher. Dinara is unpredictable like her brother. Lena B is massively talented, but has to get herself out of this slump. Nadia and Lina and the 2 Veras could also make it big, especially Nadia IMO.

:bounce: :hearts: :bounce: UDACHI RUSSINAS!!! :bounce: :hearts: :bounce:

Vass22
Apr 3rd, 2004, 12:47 PM
Dinara is unpredictable like her brother. Lena B is massively talented, but has to get herself out of this slump. Nadia and Lina and the 2 Veras could also make it big, especially Nadia IMO.

:bounce: :hearts: :bounce: UDACHI RUSSINAS!!! :bounce: :hearts: :bounce:
If Dinara is like her brother, I'm not worried. Being a No1 and winning a slam isn't so bad. I hope she does it.

Gowza
Apr 3rd, 2004, 12:48 PM
i think bovina, sharapova and kuznetsova have the build and they have weapons and the talent to be top players imo however if any will reach their full potential i am uncertain. dementieva needs a better serve both first and second, myskina needs a better second serve and maybe improve her first serve a bit. petrova has a great game but movement and consistency are a problem atm and she is injury prone, douchevina ive been told has more talent than kuznetsova and zvonareva but she is yet to shown that. zvonareva is talented but i think she needs a better 1st and second serve (a bigger first serve and i think she would already be in the top 10). lina k she gets to nervous, she has potential but she needs to start showing it and get herself in the top 20 where she belongs. safina, ive only seen her a couple of times but her movement is a big problem and she needs to fix her service motion so she can use her strength and height to her advantage and develop a big serve, then she will be a really good player.

talent, all of them have talent but whether all of them or any of them will fullfill their talent is tough to pick. at this point i have to say sharapova will be the best, age wise and results wise she done the best i believe and what she has done is compareable or close to what players like venus did at her age (going from what others have said, please correct me if i am wrong).

so sharapova imo.

Epigone
Apr 3rd, 2004, 01:15 PM
I'm putting my money on Vera Z. Two things I see that are holding her back are:
(1) She needs a little more mustard on both serves. She has a lot of variety on her second serve, but it needs more pace.
(2) She needs to get her head sorted, which may be easier said than done. Vera is a paradox. She is a gritty, determined fighter, yet she can also collapse like a house of cards :shrug:.

Vera doesn't have the size of a number of the other Russian women, but she has good court coverage, she has a top class backhand and she can hit with a variety of spins and angles. Her success will hinge on whether or not she can keep her head in check. While she might not be a top player on grass, I think that Vera playing at her full potential will be a constant challenger on hardcourts, and absolutely lethal on clay.

Gowza
Apr 3rd, 2004, 01:22 PM
seeing vera z play last year and this year i think she has actually bulked up her groundies this year a bit.

Daniel
Apr 3rd, 2004, 01:25 PM
Myskina :D

Alvarillo
Apr 3rd, 2004, 01:41 PM
Sveta!!!

Jane
Apr 3rd, 2004, 02:07 PM
I think Sveta will be the best of this group. She has big weapons, a good all around game and no major weaknesses. She should only get better with experience.

Experimentee
Apr 3rd, 2004, 02:25 PM
I think Bovina is the most talented but she seems to be injury/illness prone and this has stopped her from achieving the results she should.
Next would probably be Petrova, Sharapova or Safina, they seem to have the weapons to go far.

All these polls seem to be decided by current form, at the end of last year Sharapova would have been winning this, last year in June Vera Z would be, and at the end of 2002 Bovina would be. Now Kuznetsova is winning a few matches everyone thinks she'll be the best. Next year it'll anyone else who wins a few matches. Everyones opinion just seems to change based on recent results!

the cat
Apr 3rd, 2004, 02:40 PM
I voted for Maria Sharapova mainly because she's the only Russina who has huge potential with her serve. She already has a good first and second serve and in a couple years her serve will be a weapon. Her technique on her serve and groundstrokes is excellent. And once Maria adds some weight her shots will really be potent. :D

But the good news is that in a couple of years their will be a great rivalry among several Russina's for being Russian #1 and possible world #1! :bounce:

bandabou, Masha has won 2 Tier lll tournaments not Tier lV tournaments. ;)

Mr_Molik
Apr 4th, 2004, 04:23 AM
bump

udachi Elena
Apr 4th, 2004, 04:24 AM
Sharapova's only sixteen, and she's said that she's going to focus on tennis and not fall into the "anna" modeling. She hates beign compared to anna! I think she'll go furthest! or Lena:)

Jackson.
Apr 4th, 2004, 11:57 AM
I say Svetlana
This year she has improved only marginally yet rose more than 15 places in rankings
Imagine how good she will be when she becomes more experienced, and limits her Unforced Errors to under 20 :eek:

cool_olga
Apr 4th, 2004, 01:31 PM
Myskina! She's one of the best backhands on tour. Lena D. forehand. But Myskina has better game overall. She's very good technique and anticipation, she's very fast runner and no.4 in the world !

From young players we'll see how Maria will be doing. Krilenko can be good as well. But for now Myskina

ktwtennis
Apr 4th, 2004, 01:33 PM
I chose Sharapova b/c she's so focused and the others seem to be so up and down in their results...

tenn_ace
Apr 4th, 2004, 01:35 PM
the way the practice (I saw most of them last week), I'd say Sveta who is still doing all kinds of drills... she reminded me of Justone who I saw in 2000 in Miami... she was then tanked in 30s, but her practices were so much different from other player (hit the ball with other player or hitting partner). so my verdict is Sveta (but anyone of them is fine with me)

Experimentee
Apr 4th, 2004, 04:44 PM
I voted for Maria Sharapova mainly because she's the only Russina who has huge potential with her serve.

You dont think Petrova has a good serve?

DA FOREHAND
Apr 4th, 2004, 05:28 PM
LOL

and you have the worst eyes on the board. :tape: :lol:

DA FOREHAND
Apr 4th, 2004, 05:31 PM
I'd say Sveta, and Sharapova....Myskina is too streaky, doesn't have it mentally and has a frail frame.

WhatTheDeuce
Apr 4th, 2004, 05:45 PM
Vera Z

Nicky2002
Apr 4th, 2004, 05:50 PM
I meant to click on Sharapova but why da hell did I click on Krasnaroutskaya

- L i n a -
Sharapova sucks.

Leena

charmedRic
Maria or Svetlana.

Mr_Molik
Apr 5th, 2004, 02:21 AM
bump

DA FOREHAND
Apr 5th, 2004, 01:49 PM
I wish to change my vote to

Olga Mororsova

TartarVicario
Apr 5th, 2004, 03:17 PM
Sveta,Nastya,Makiri and Nadya have impressive games :)

QuicKyMonSter
Apr 5th, 2004, 03:45 PM
Nadia!

caramel
Apr 5th, 2004, 03:52 PM
Myskina without a doubt!!!! :D

the cat
Apr 5th, 2004, 03:59 PM
Olga Morozova. LOL @ DA FOREHAND! :lol: But Morozova is arguably the top female Russian tennis player of all time.

Yes Experimentee, I think Petrova has a good serve.

ace4lleykim
Apr 5th, 2004, 04:47 PM
Right now, I think it's Myskina, but in a few yrs, I think it will be Kutnezsova.

forever1997
Jan 29th, 2009, 12:24 AM
Interesting

RenaSlam.
Jan 29th, 2009, 12:54 AM
Sharapova.

Cakeisgood
Jan 29th, 2009, 01:04 AM
wow. Cool bump.

Poor Kuz had so much hype back then! Maria = pwn.

Александра
Jan 29th, 2009, 03:12 AM
Zvonareva for sure.

Uranium
Jan 29th, 2009, 03:13 AM
Lina:sad: