PDA

View Full Version : Can we please discuss some tennis

udachi Elena
Apr 3rd, 2004, 05:11 AM
I just joined the thread tonite, and the only two active threads are people yelling at each other! I'd say let's discuss the final tomorrow, but that seems to be the source of the argument! So anything i'm desperate please!!! :wavey:

skyrocket
Apr 3rd, 2004, 05:13 AM
Even though the yelling is entertaining, I agree with you.

Who do you think will win the final?

darrinbaker00
Apr 3rd, 2004, 05:14 AM
OK, let's discuss the final. How many bagels do you think :hearts: will make Elena eat, one or two? I say two. ;)

DeDe4925
Apr 3rd, 2004, 05:16 AM
I just joined the thread tonite, and the only two active threads are people yelling at each other! I'd say let's discuss the final tomorrow, but that seems to be the source of the argument! So anything i'm desperate please!!! :wavey:
I'm all for that. Whew :p I'm worn out. I've been bad enough tonight. ;)

udachi Elena
Apr 3rd, 2004, 05:17 AM
Well, being a huge elena fan, I expect Elena to win. True fans always stick by their players despite the odds! Plus i actually do believe she'll win. I spent a lot of time at the nasdaq this week, and saw all her matches. I've read some posts saying she scraped by dokic and venus, but Dokic played decent, and although the first set was close, lena really took it two her in the next two. and against Venus, Elena was dominating the match, even with all her unforced errors, she was pushing venus at the base line, all deep shots. Elena has an amazing groundstroke game! and even tho her serve sucks, i don't think it'll be a huge deal bc she knows it sucks, she knows how to deal with it, after all she made it into the top 10 w/ no serve! What do you think??

udachi Elena
Apr 3rd, 2004, 05:18 AM
OK, let's discuss the final. How many bagels do you think :hearts: will make Elena eat, one or two? I say two. ;)
Hey now! Let's not insult my girl, after all I started this thread to escape the fighting, only rational responses! I except your opinion that you think Serena will win tho :wavey:

IIOoIaMaGirLoOII
OK, let's discuss the final. How many bagels do you think :hearts: will make Elena eat, one or two? I say two. ;)AHH!! :( that's just going to start another argument.. :)

skyrocket
I think Serena will pull off the win. But good luck to both players!

udachi Elena
Apr 3rd, 2004, 05:21 AM
:wavey: Hey Skyrocket

Mr_Molik
Apr 3rd, 2004, 05:22 AM
elena has shown she is a great fighter this week and will have a lot of adrenalin from her last 3 matches. i think on a good day she can match serena from the baseline, i think the key for elena is getting alot of 1st serves in to try and neutralize serenas return, rather than being on the defensive all the time. she will also have to take advantage of serenas 2nd serves

DeDe4925
Apr 3rd, 2004, 05:23 AM
Even though the yelling is entertaining, I agree with you.

Who do you think will win the final?
I want to preface my opinion with the fact that I am reposting my opinion from another thread and I called Elena, "Demented". Not to bash her, but because I really thought that was her nickname. I thought I saw some of her fans call her that. I may be wrong. Anyway, it's not meant to bash her. I don't want to start a fight or be in another one. With that said, here's my opinion. Feel free to comment :)

Serena has the best serve on the tour, even with an 8 month lay-off. She mixes up her serves and they are hard to return, unlike Venus and Petrova. She can place her serves in any place on the court she wants. It's not the speed of the serve, but the accuracy and pace. If Serena's serve is on, it's curtains for Demented.

Demented should not try to go toe to toe with Serena at the baseline, because she will lose. Serena thrives on balls with weight and pace. Her speed is better than Petrova's and is as good as any of the Top 10 now, including Demented and if Demented doesn't try to slice, drop or angle the ball toward the alley, they are just going to sit up for Serena to smack them down the line. So, whoever said she keeps her balls inside, better hope she doesn't, especially if Serena keeps her pinned behind the baseline off the pace of her balls and Serena gets some short balls.

As far as returns, Serena will pounce on those 65-70 mile an hour balls and Demented won't even get a chance to play. Lastly Serena is pissed about (1) her beating her sister and (2) the insult toward Venus after.

Right now Serena has the most motivation and intimidation factor in her favor.

Motivation factors include:
(1) it's her first tournament back and she has something to prove;
(2) she's hungry;
(3) she's going for a three-peat at a big Tier 1;
(4) Demented beat Venus; and
(5) she's pissed at Demented for what she said yesterday.

Intimidation factors include:
(1) She has only lost one set in a Tier 1 going into the finals after an 8 month layoff and she's beating women who've been playing on the tour for 8 months;
(2) she has a large presence on the court;
(3) Demented has never beaten her;
(4) her serve has been out of this world in this tournament when she needed it to be;
(5) she's a former No.1 and left the tour 8 months ago as No. 1 and holder of all four grand slams, plus two; and
(6) she's Serena Williams.

The only way Serena will lose this title is if she (1) doesn't show up; or (2) gets injured; or (3) totally collapses mentally.

Go Babygirl Go!!!
Serena in two.

udachi Elena
Apr 3rd, 2004, 05:24 AM
elena has shown she is a great fighter this week and will have a lot of adrenalin from her last 3 matches. i think on a good day she can match serena from the baseline, i think the key for elena is getting alot of 1st serves in to try and neutralize serenas return, rather than being on the defensive all the time. she will also have to take advantage of serenas 2nd serves
I agree! I'm sure she's aware that Serena will be all over her second serves. My guess is that during the day off her and Olga were definitely talking strategy. I am completely faithful that lena can pull off an upset tho!

skyrocket
Apr 3rd, 2004, 05:24 AM
:wavey: Hey Skyrocket

Hi to everyone! :wavey: :bounce: :worship:

darrinbaker00
Apr 3rd, 2004, 05:25 AM
Hey now! Let's not insult my girl, after all I started this thread to escape the fighting, only rational responses! I except your opinion that you think Serena will win tho :wavey:
I wasn't kidding. Center Court + national television audience + championship points to defend + W-E-A-K Dementieva serve = double-bagel win for Serena. ;)

IIOoIaMaGirLoOII
Apr 3rd, 2004, 05:26 AM
I want to preface my opinion with the fact that I am reposting my opinion from another thread and I called Elena, "Demented". Not to bash her, but because I really thought that was her nickname. I thought I saw some of her fans call her that. I may be wrong. Anyway, it's not meant to bash her. I don't want to start a fight or be in another one. With that said, here's my opinion. Feel free to comment :)

Serena has the best serve on the tour, even with an 8 month lay-off. She mixes up her serves and they are hard to return, unlike Venus and Petrova. She can place her serves in any place on the court she wants. It's not the speed of the serve, but the accuracy and pace. If Serena's serve is on, it's curtains for Demented.

Demented should not try to go toe to toe with Serena at the baseline, because she will lose. Serena thrives on balls with weight and pace. Her speed is better than Petrova's and is as good as any of the Top 10 now, including Demented and if Demented doesn't try to slice, drop or angle the ball toward the alley, they are just going to sit up for Serena to smack them down the line. So, whoever said she keeps her balls inside, better hope she doesn't, especially if Serena keeps her pinned behind the baseline off the pace of her balls and Serena gets some short balls.

As far as returns, Serena will pounce on those 65-70 mile an hour balls and Demented won't even get a chance to play. Lastly Serena is pissed about (1) her beating her sister and (2) the insult toward Venus after.

(2) she's hungry;

(1) She has only lost one set in a Tier 1 going into the finals after an 8 month layoff and she's beating women who've been playing on the tour for 8 months;
(4) her serve has been out of this world in this tournament when she needed it to be;
(5) she's a former No.1 and left the tour 8 months ago as No. 1 and holder of all four grand slams, plus two; and

The only way Serena will lose this title is if she (1) doesn't show up; or (2) gets injured; or (3) totally collapses mentally.

Go Babygirl Go!!!
Serena in two.:worship: couldn't have said it better.. EXCEPT for the whole "Demented" thing.. :(

udachi Elena
Apr 3rd, 2004, 05:26 AM

(2) she's hungry;

Go Babygirl Go!!!
Serena in two.

haha I'm glad you said you wrote that earlier, b/c i was gonna say, damn that was fast. I definitely see all your points. but the wonderful thing about tennis is that on any given day, anyone can win. and i know Elena's serve will never compete with Serena's. However I think right now if this is a baseline battle, Elena will come out on top. I think currently Elena is moving better than Serena,(i know this isn't always the case) but based on the semi-final results, I think Elena can do it!

udachi Elena
Apr 3rd, 2004, 05:28 AM
:EXCEPT for the whole "Demented" thing.. :(
yeah but he/she apologized ahead of time so we'll let it slide ;)

DeDe4925
Apr 3rd, 2004, 05:28 AM
:worship: couldn't have said it better.. EXCEPT for the whole "Demented" thing.. :(
Sorry :shrug:
I sincerely apologize for that. :)

udachi Elena
Apr 3rd, 2004, 05:29 AM
I wasn't kidding. Center Court + national television audience + championship points to defend + W-E-A-K Dementieva serve = double-bagel win for Serena. ;)
I see Serena's nerves becoming a factor in this final, similar to her not being able to hold serve to win either set against Eleni.

DeDe4925
Apr 3rd, 2004, 05:30 AM
yeah but he/she apologized ahead of time so we'll let it slide ;)
She :)

udachi Elena
Apr 3rd, 2004, 05:31 AM
Well guys, I'm retiring to bed! It was fun chatting with you all!! Good luck to our girls tomorrow!! I'm so excited:) I hope i can sleep!!!:lol:
Goodnite! :Wavey:

IIOoIaMaGirLoOII
Apr 3rd, 2004, 05:31 AM
Sorry :shrug:
I sincerely apologize for that. :)not to worry.. i wont go all crazy on you :) no bad repping from me :)

IIOoIaMaGirLoOII
Apr 3rd, 2004, 05:32 AM
She :):lol: how many times did you have to tell everybody that you are a she??

DeDe4925
Apr 3rd, 2004, 05:32 AM
I see Serena's nerves becoming a factor in this final, similar to her not being able to hold serve to win either set against Eleni.
I don't see Serena's nerves being a factor. She has nerves of steel and confidence in spades.

The reason I mentioned her anger at Elena being a factor is because when Serena gets angry, she's impeccable. Ask Amelie and Justine.

DeDe4925
Apr 3rd, 2004, 05:33 AM
Well guys, I'm retiring to bed! It was fun chatting with you all!! Good luck to our girls tomorrow!! I'm so excited:) I hope i can sleep!!!:lol:
Goodnite! :Wavey:
Goodnight udachi
:wavey:

DeDe4925
Apr 3rd, 2004, 05:35 AM
not to worry.. i wont go all crazy on you :) no bad repping from me :)
Okay, thanks :)

DeDe4925
Apr 3rd, 2004, 05:36 AM
:lol: how many times did you have to tell everybody that you are a she??
Alot! :p
I think I'll change my signature to put everyone on notice. :lol:

darrinbaker00
Apr 3rd, 2004, 05:37 AM
However I think right now if this is a baseline battle, Elena will come out on top.
Therein lies Dementieva's problem, my friend: :worship: allowed their match to become a baseline battle by (a) not attacking Dementieva's second serve and (b) staying back on her own serve. Serena saw what her sister did wrong, and she won't make the same mistake. Also, the revenge factor for beating Venus is quite real, you know. Trust me, if Serena can't hit flat-out winners off Dementieva's sidewinder, she'll chip-and-charge. I exaggerated slightly about the double-bagel, but I really do think Serena will win in straights. ;)

darrinbaker00
Apr 3rd, 2004, 05:45 AM
Nerves? SERENA?? :haha: :haha: I think it's safe to say that the USS Nerves sailed right after she wore the cat suit for the first time. ;)

davenport_1
Apr 3rd, 2004, 06:05 AM
Serena has not been playing well. She hasn't even played a decent player! 3 sets to likhotsova!?!?!? She struggled against Danillidou, a curse that should only be Jennifer's! Dementieva should win this one.

darrinbaker00
Apr 3rd, 2004, 06:30 AM
Serena has not been playing well. She hasn't even played a decent player! 3 sets to likhotsova!?!?!? She struggled against Danillidou, a curse that should only be Jennifer's! Dementieva should win this one.
I wouldn't exactly call 48 double-faults in five matches "playing well," but that's just me..... ;)

DeDe4925
Apr 3rd, 2004, 06:34 AM
I wouldn't exactly call 48 double-faults in five matches "playing well," but that's just me..... ;)
I wouldn't call 31 aces in five matches playing too badly either, but that's just me. :lol:

Ice Ice Baby
Apr 3rd, 2004, 06:43 AM
I wouldn't call 31 aces in five matches playing too badly either, but that's just me. :lol:

It's not good either. Not good enough to cancel out the double faults.

But she's doing well, considering her circumstances.

darrinbaker00
Apr 3rd, 2004, 07:05 AM

Dude, she was talking about Serena. Dementieva couldn't serve 31 aces in five matches against Stevie Wonder. :lol: :lol:

tennisjunky
Apr 3rd, 2004, 07:08 AM
Dude, she was talking about Serena. Dementieva couldn't serve 31 aces in five matches against Stevie Wonder. :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: "Stevie Wonder"

DeDe4925
Apr 3rd, 2004, 07:09 AM

Uhhhhh, 31 aces is not good enough to cancel out 9 double faults? :scratch: What kind of math did you learn in school? :lol: :lol:

DeDe4925
Apr 3rd, 2004, 07:11 AM
:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:
Oh lawd!!!!

DeDe4925
Apr 3rd, 2004, 07:13 AM

:cuckoo: :retard: :retard: :smash:

GoGoMaggie
Apr 3rd, 2004, 07:13 AM
DeMond you are even less funny than Krusty Clown.

DeDe4925
Apr 3rd, 2004, 07:16 AM
DeMond you are even less funny than Krusty Clown.
Good. I wouldn't wanna give your mama any competition. :p