PDA

View Full Version : Do you think Lisa is kicking herself...

tenn_ace
Apr 3rd, 2004, 01:20 AM
... for committing to play with Martina?

I love Martina dearly, but her serve is so attackable, that she hardly ever holds it. it puts a lot of pressure on her partners serve. With the way their partneship going, they will never see Athens.

alextreiber04
Apr 3rd, 2004, 01:22 AM
I'm just glad Sveta is teaching Martina a lesson for leaving her! :D

tenn_ace
Apr 3rd, 2004, 01:27 AM
their split was actually very amicable... according to Sveta, they are still very good friends.

goldenlox
Apr 3rd, 2004, 02:30 AM
I saw the No Strings show about Lisa, and she's thrilled to team with Martina.

- L i n a -
Apr 3rd, 2004, 02:31 AM
I have to think Lisa is a little... Martina's game has declined quite a bit just in the past year.

faboozadoo15
Apr 3rd, 2004, 02:32 AM
i think everybody will be happy if martina starts playing well.

look at how well the guidance martina surely gave sveta is really paying off for her!

martina needed to make the olympics with an american, and so would sveta-- i bete there are no hard feelings at all.

arcus
Apr 3rd, 2004, 02:34 AM
The "party line" is that martina wanted to play in Athens, so needed an american partner.

I remember in an interview after teaming with Raymond, she was so excited, she said that, playing with Lisa, it would be great not to worry about what her partner would do at the net. I thought that was kinda harsh on Sveta, who might have stood at the net worrying about Martinas serve.. :) :) :) :) :) :)

As things have turned out, theres no question that sveta is a really great player in singles and doubles. She was kinda overshadowed in that partnership......

She complemented Martina well, maybe better than Lisa, cos of her power....

tenn_ace
Apr 3rd, 2004, 02:34 AM
her major problem is her serve... I saw her in Miami playing a practice doubles match against some unknown girls. Martina was paired with some guy (a huge stud)... the other team was killing Martina's serve and even stud couldn't do much.

lizchris
Apr 3rd, 2004, 02:35 AM
I wonder if Zina would let the sisters plays doubles at Fed Cup like BJK did last year?

tenn_ace
Apr 3rd, 2004, 02:36 AM
i think everybody will be happy if martina starts playing well.

look at how well the guidance martina surely gave sveta is really paying off for her!

martina needed to make the olympics with an american, and so would sveta-- i bete there are no hard feelings at all.

but Lisa would probably have had more chances should she play with Meg...

tenn_ace
Apr 3rd, 2004, 02:37 AM
The "party line" is that martina wanted to play in Athens, so needed an american partner.

I remember in an interview after teaming with Raymond, she was so excited, she said that, playing with Lisa, it would be great not to worry about what her partner would do at the net. I thought that was kinda harsh on Sveta, who might have stood at the net worrying about Martinas serve.. :) :) :) :) :) :)

As things have turned out, theres no question that sveta is a really great player in singles and doubles. She was kinda overshadowed in that partnership......

She complemented Martina well, maybe better than Lisa, cos of her power....
:clap2::yeah:

faboozadoo15
Apr 3rd, 2004, 02:38 AM
perhaps... gee i dunno...

goldenlox
Apr 3rd, 2004, 02:41 AM
Sveta needed an experienced partner. Look what Sveta's doing this year. How could that partnership with Martina have hurt her development?

arcus
Apr 3rd, 2004, 02:42 AM
I think martina was playing better last season. She took time off, and maybe went off the boil a bit.... :-( Remember in Phily, martina and lisa looked awesome.

at martinas age, I think she needs to be doing in week in week out or she's in trouble........

When she started to play doubles she initially didnt commit. When she went 100% she did better. Its her last season. I want to see her play every week, and train her ass off.

Rtael
Apr 3rd, 2004, 03:07 AM
I have to think Lisa is a little... Martina's game has declined quite a bit just in the past year.

Like a broken record..... :rolleyes:

arcus
Apr 3rd, 2004, 03:13 AM
martina and sveta were a great fit last year.
sveta was relatively inexperienced, but had a load of power and ability, while martina had the experience and the finesse.
and they played all over the place witout a ton of expectation... and the more they played, the better they got

I was excited about Athens, but now I think that another year of martina and sveta would have been great to see. the chemistry was just there. With lisa there isnt so much gelling..
maybe this year will pick up, but they need to start to play their hearts out, IMO...... :) :) :) :)

Zummi
Apr 3rd, 2004, 03:22 AM
It was Lisa who asked Martina to play with her. Not the other way around.

arcus
Apr 3rd, 2004, 03:27 AM

However it came about, they were both apparently Happy-as-Larry with the prospect. But, you know, great double is often about the intangible understanding between players. With plenty of early round exits, I dont think lisa and martina have played enough to have that yet and time is running out unfortunately........

GermanBoy
Apr 3rd, 2004, 03:49 AM
but Lisa would probably have had more chances should she play with Meg...
Shaughnessy? :haha: I always wanted Lisa and Lindsay to play at Athens but who asks me...:sad:

arcus
Apr 3rd, 2004, 03:57 AM
Shaughnessy? :haha: I always wanted Lisa and Lindsay to play at Athens but who asks me...:sad:

That would be an obvious combination, but remember last year davenport had a lot of injuries and talked about retiring soon in interviews. So she didn't look like as good a doubles prospect last year as this year. And anyway, with all her orthopedic issues, im sure she doesnt want to risk anything by putting herself out there in the doubles court.

navratilova and davenport could have made a great team, cos of martinas experience and net play, combined with devenports power plus net skills. I think martina would have liked that, but i never got much of a pro-martina vibe from lindsay.....

udachi Elena
Apr 3rd, 2004, 03:59 AM
I could be wrong, but didn't they make it to the semi's? that's not exactly bad results, I'm sure lisa is happy with her decision to play with Martina

MrYonex
Apr 3rd, 2004, 04:09 AM
I hope that Lisa doesn't regret her decision to play with Martina. I think that maybe if they both started back on the baseline they would be neutral to start the points on Martina's serve.

darrinbaker00
Apr 3rd, 2004, 04:17 AM
Like I said in another thread: so many dirty jokes, so little time..... :tape: :tape:

Fishnick
Apr 3rd, 2004, 04:23 AM
Like I said in another thread: so many dirty jokes, so little time..... :tape: :tape:

You are like your signature. A quarter finalist. Come back when you are capable of playing with the big folks :angel:

Mr_Molik
Apr 3rd, 2004, 05:27 AM
imo martinas serve isnt a huge problem in doubles. because its slow, it gives her alot of time to get to the net and she only has to cover one half of the court. its very hard to get it past two people at the net.

tenn_ace
Apr 3rd, 2004, 11:38 AM
actually her serve IS her big problem... it just sits there (even on hard courts) allowing opponents to do all kinda crazy angles. in fact, Martina spends a lot of time practicing her serve (mostly placement). I saw that a few times.

tenn_ace
Apr 3rd, 2004, 11:41 AM
as for Linds to play with Martina, obviously she wasn't planning to play in doubles in 2004 as much as she does and qualify for Athens... othertwise, Lisa would have stayed in a team with her. They were the 3rd best team last year.

bandabou
Apr 3rd, 2004, 11:45 AM
Well, it´s looking like lisa is gonna be the odd girl out of doubles again...

Fantastic
Apr 3rd, 2004, 02:25 PM
Martina and Lisa don't really team well together. Neither is the firepower in the combination. Most, if not all the top pairings have a player who sets up the plays with good court placement, and a player who goes for broke and attempts most of the winners.

Stubbs & Raymond - Rennae was the firebrand, Lisa the set-up girl.

Fernandez & Zvereva - Gigi went for broke, Natasha set the plays.

Venus & Serena - Venus sets up the points, Serena goes nuts on them.

Navratilova & Shriver - Martina made the plays, Pam put them away.

Novotna & Sanchez-Vicario - Arantxa was the finesse, Jana the shotmaker.

Hingis & Kournikova - Martina was the brains, Anna was the brawn.

Hingis & Pierce - Martina was the brain, Mary was the power.

Ruano Pascual & Suarez - Virginia is the consistency, Paola goes for more.

Brαm
Apr 3rd, 2004, 02:29 PM

Serena has always been the brain of the team, even when Venus was still winning slams!

Ryan
Apr 3rd, 2004, 02:31 PM
Martina and Lisa don't really team well together. Neither is the firepower in the combination. Most, if not all the top pairings have a player who sets up the plays with good court placement, and a player who goes for broke and attempts most of the winners.

Stubbs & Raymond - Rennae was the firebrand, Lisa the set-up girl.

Fernandez & Zvereva - Gigi went for broke, Natasha set the plays.

Navratilova & Shriver - Martina made the plays, Pam put them away.

Novotna & Sanchez-Vicario - Arantxa was the finesse, Jana the shotmaker.

Hingis & Kournikova - Martina was the brains, Anna was the brawn.

Hingis & Pierce - Martina was the brain, Mary was the power.

Ruano Pascual & Suarez - Virginia is the consistency, Paola goes for more.

That is VERY true. Hingis always went with a partner who had more power in order to set up points for them. Except when she partnered with Arantxa.

Experimentee
Apr 3rd, 2004, 02:40 PM
I'm sure Lisa is honoured to play with such a great legend. I think they team well together, I remember watching them in Australia and they were absolutely killing their opponents. I dont think they should aim to be winning Grand Slams and huge tournaments, but they are doing quite well for themselves.

Vass22
Apr 3rd, 2004, 02:43 PM
I'm sure Lisa is honoured to play with such a great legend. I think they team well together, I remember watching them in Australia and they were absolutely killing their opponents. I dont think they should aim to be winning Grand Slams and huge tournaments, but they are doing quite well for themselves.
Not aiming to win big tourneys is an anti-climax end of the career for Martina. Surely she wanes more. Otherwise, why bother? And isn't she aiming to win the Olympics?

Kart
Apr 3rd, 2004, 03:32 PM
I think that's an important point.

Lisa is probably more desperate to get to the Olympics than Martina after losing out last time. I'm sure she saw Martina as a guarantee for her ticket - with all the noise Martina has been making about going, it's still hard to see them not getting there somehow.

Gallofa
Apr 3rd, 2004, 03:48 PM
Lisa wanted to play with Martina, and I am sure she's pleased with this partnership. The goal was to go to the Olympics, and if they manage to keep up these kind of results (semifinals), they should make it. That should be pleasing enough for both of them.

Good luck for the next tournaments! :D

MLF
Apr 3rd, 2004, 03:55 PM
They're doing pretty well in my opinion. I expect them to be a big threat on grass and they definitely have a medal shot at the Olympics. Here are all their results together so far as a pair. They've only lost to quality opponents so far.

Philadelphia : ( Nov '03 )

R1 : W A Bachmann / S Kloesel 6-3 6-2
QF : W D Krastevitch / S Krivencheva 7-5 6-2
SF : W M Shaughnessy / N Pratt 6-4 6-2
F : W C Black / R Stubbs 6-3 6-4

Fed Cup :

USA v Belgium

W : C Maes / E Clijsters 6-1 6-4

USA v France

W : E Loit / S Cohen-Aloro 6-4 6-0

Sydney ( January '04 )

R1 : W : N Pratt / R Dragomir-Ilie 6-0 6-2
R2 : L : L Davenport / C Morariu 6-7 6-3 3-6

Australian Open ( January '04 )

R1 : W : S Okamoto / R Takemura 6-0 6-1
R2 : L : L Davenport / C Morariu 3-6 0-6

Tokyo ( January '04 )

R1 : W : K Srebotnik / T Krizan 6-1 6-0
QF : W: R Grande / J Lee 6-2 7-6
SF : L : C Black / R Stubbs 6-2 3-6 4-6

Indian Wells ( March '04 )

R1 : W : S Asagoe / A Jidkova 7-6 4-6 6-4
R2 : L : A Myskina / V Zvonareva 2-6 4-6

Miami ( March '04 )

R1 : W : M Santangelo / J Embry 7-6 6-3
R2 : W : S Asagoe / J Lee 6-1 6-4
QF : W : M Serna / A Molik 6-2 3-6 6-4
SF : L : S Kuznetsova / E Likhovtseva 4-6 4-6

bandabou
Apr 3rd, 2004, 04:00 PM
Myskina/Zvonareva ain´t exactly quality opponents imo, but yeah they´re putting up some nice results...

mn73
Apr 3rd, 2004, 05:08 PM
Nice-ish results, but neither Lisa or Martina can be happy with the way things are going.