PDA

View Full Version : Are you getting nervous/anxious...

tenn_ace
Apr 3rd, 2004, 01:08 AM
...before the biggest final of the Russian female tennis player?

I'm not. I didn't expect Lena to do so well in her first tournament after a break, so each win starting with the quarters is like a bonus. I, of course, want her to win, but, moreso, I want her to show a good tennis.

So, I'm going to relax and enjoy tennis tomorrow... :worship:

But go Lena ! ;) :kiss:

moo_ont
Apr 3rd, 2004, 01:22 AM
Very good question! I really am. But, I totally agree with you, tenn_ace. I didn't expect anything from Elena. I am just glad that she has come back and begun to have good wins again. Anyway, I can't help hoping she will win. If not, it's not the end of the world. She has done such a great job already. Yeah, the only thing I don't want is the one-sided scoreline. I want to see her fight til the end.

Go Elena. We believe in you. :kiss:

tenn_ace
Apr 3rd, 2004, 01:29 AM
we are not going to hear the end of it on this board if it's a one sided scoreline...

moo_ont
Apr 3rd, 2004, 01:31 AM
I guess so. That's why I don't want that. :(

goldenlox
Apr 3rd, 2004, 01:43 AM
Nastya winning the KC was pretty big. Nastya will always be the first Russian Tier I champion. And it was in Moscow.
This is big moneywise. But Elena walks away with $210,000 if she doesn't win. So it's all good.

The first Russian to win a major, that's the big one.

ys
Apr 3rd, 2004, 01:58 AM
...before the biggest final of the Russian female tennis player?
It is not the first time. Exactly 6 years ago....

- L i n a -
Apr 3rd, 2004, 02:01 AM
No... because I have no expectations of Lena even making this competitive.

goldenlox
Apr 3rd, 2004, 02:03 AM
Is playing in the Key Biscayne final bigger than winning the KC?
This year, Justine, Kim, Lindsay, Amelie, and Nastya aren't playing. I don't remember Anna in 1998.

- L i n a -
Apr 3rd, 2004, 02:08 AM
Any other year... I'd say the Miami final is more important.

tenn_ace
Apr 3rd, 2004, 02:13 AM
yeah, ys, you're right... and for a while, until sometime in the second set, I thought the title would be ours... :(

tenn_ace
Apr 3rd, 2004, 02:14 AM
Anna actually had the most impressive run then in, probably, recent history. 3 top 10 players in a row.

ys
Apr 3rd, 2004, 02:15 AM
Anna actually had the most impressive run then in, probably, recent history. 3 top 10 players in a row.
4 top 10 players in a row.

goldenlox
Apr 3rd, 2004, 02:18 AM
This tournament is not that strong. Nadia beat Monica, Jennifer, and Vera in Roland Garros.
And I think Elena's road to the title in AI was at least as tough as this one. And it was her first title.

tenn_ace
Apr 3rd, 2004, 02:27 AM
4 top 10 players in a row.

even better. so, was the best run ever for an unseeded player?

tenn_ace
Apr 3rd, 2004, 02:29 AM
it will be different from AI... Lena will be o the run all the time, but she'll have less time due to a different type of court. it will be tougher.

- L i n a -
Apr 3rd, 2004, 02:30 AM
I believe that's the only women's tournament where someone defeated 4 Top 10 players, by a non-Top 10 player.

goldenlox
Apr 3rd, 2004, 02:33 AM
The difference with AI is that in the final, Lena lost the first set. And was down a break in the second and third. And she had the extra pressure of never having won a tournament.

This final depends on how well Serena plays. If she turns it up a notch, that's that. If she plays like her semi, Lena has a chance.

- L i n a -
Apr 3rd, 2004, 02:35 AM
Serena, even injured... is a hell of a lot better than Big L on clay.

goldenlox
Apr 3rd, 2004, 02:39 AM
Lena beat Justine in the semis. So it's not that different.

ys
Apr 3rd, 2004, 02:48 AM
even better. so, was the best run ever for an unseeded player?
She was seeded #23.

- L i n a -
Apr 3rd, 2004, 02:51 AM
Which in those times, was just as good as being unseeded... since Miami was the only tournament that implemented the 32 seed system, until the slams did in 2001.

tenn_ace
Apr 3rd, 2004, 02:51 AM
well, I never appreciated that 32 seeds system, 16 was a lot better, so she was unseeded in my books ;)

ys
Apr 3rd, 2004, 03:05 AM
well, I never appreciated that 32 seeds system, 16 was a lot better, so she was unseeded in my books ;)
32 seeds was not a choice but a necessity. You have to seed 32 players in 96 draw.

tenn_ace
Apr 3rd, 2004, 03:09 AM
I don't agree that it's a necessity... I prefered to see some close matches in the first round as well (since i usually go to see early matches)

ys
Apr 3rd, 2004, 03:14 AM
I don't agree that it's a necessity... I prefered to see some close matches in the first round as well (since i usually go to see early matches)
in 96 draw you have to give 32 byes. Thus you have to seed 32 players, because it is the only logical way to allocate 32 byes.

tenn_ace
Apr 3rd, 2004, 03:15 AM
oh i see what you meant... i was more talking about GSs...

DEETHELICK
Apr 3rd, 2004, 10:49 AM
I do feel excited for Elena. This is a big stage and the Elena who comes here today is very different from the one in Moscow 2001.

Elena has experience, a better game and hopefully a better strategy. Serena is the favourite, but Elena always has a chance.

I hope Olga and Elena worked on her serve yesterday. Elena should be aiming for a high 1st serve %. Her groundies can help her out in the rallies.

Good luck Elena! :D

KV
Apr 3rd, 2004, 10:55 AM
Very excited like so many stated. Didn't expect Lena to go that far, after she took a break.

tenn_ace
Apr 3rd, 2004, 11:43 AM
I have so much to do before this match starts... btw, anybody wants to buy a car?

Mathijs
Apr 3rd, 2004, 02:06 PM
I'm getting very nervous now the match is coming closer by the minute, time for Lena to defeat Serena and win a Tier 1 title!!! :D

the cat
Apr 3rd, 2004, 02:30 PM
I'm not nervous about this match. I know Elena can play with Serena off the ground. And Elena is actually faster and more agile than Serena is. And I know Serena will make a lot of mistakes on Elena's lightweight second serve and that will frustrate Serena to lose her confidence and that loss in confidence will lead to Elena's win.

What kind of car, tenn_ace?

tenn_ace
Apr 3rd, 2004, 03:00 PM
the cat, saab-9000

bubble
Apr 3rd, 2004, 03:37 PM
Very excited and anxious but of course, whatever is the results , I will still feel proud of Elena... enjoyed her interviews and her curtsy when she won matchpoint against Venus...

Let's hope she has the chance to curtsy again later... ;)

DEETHELICK
Apr 3rd, 2004, 03:39 PM
I hope Elena shows us what she can really do on court today!

I wish her the best of luck (again)!! :D

Mathijs
Apr 3rd, 2004, 04:03 PM
I am ready for it ES come on with the match!! :(

tenn_ace
Apr 3rd, 2004, 04:26 PM
so far it's not looking to good for Lena :(

moo_ont
Apr 3rd, 2004, 04:35 PM
Yes, especially her serve. :sad:

bubble
Apr 3rd, 2004, 04:46 PM
It's terrible... she failed to bring the goods at the most important match... :(

TheBoiledEgg
Apr 3rd, 2004, 04:53 PM
oh dear :sad:
talk about the ultimate nightmare coming true :( :bigcry:

moo_ont
Apr 3rd, 2004, 04:54 PM
Elena looks miserable now.

bubble
Apr 3rd, 2004, 04:55 PM
is she injured or something?
Movement ok?

moo_ont
Apr 3rd, 2004, 05:02 PM
no! I am sure she lost all of her confidence on serve, and she made lots of UEs.

goldenlox
Apr 3rd, 2004, 05:10 PM
I think Serena played well today. Lena could have played well and still lost 6-3, 6-3.
At least now she knows she HAS to get a more consistent serve.

tenn_ace
Apr 3rd, 2004, 05:15 PM
Lena should take a month off the tour, go home and practice her serve day and night.

The more she plays with the serve like that, the more she'll lose the confidence. Soon she won't be able to serve at all.

ys
Apr 3rd, 2004, 05:16 PM
I think Serena played well today. Lena could have played well and still lost 6-3, 6-3.
At least now she knows she HAS to get a more consistent serve.
I disagree. It was about whether Elena manages to challenge Serena... 6:3, 6:3 would be an unlikely scenario. If it would have gotten closer, it would be a different ballgame. OK, enough of coulda/shoulda/woulda..

I am disappointed, but, in fact, I can see a lot of positives coming out of this match. Serena played very good match. But Elena was not overpowered, not outplayed. She has just plain self-destructed. She was missing relatively simple shots, those that wer going in 99% against Venus. Meaning the result is not a reflection of Elena's true potential. She just to keep her chin up and work. She'll be fine.

goldenlox
Apr 3rd, 2004, 05:22 PM
This obviously was not how Lena played all week. She let her serve become a distraction.

This still was one of Lena's best weeks ever. She beat Nadia, Venus, and Dokic. Lena has to get her serve in play. That's more important than having a big serve. Get it in. And then play your baseline game.

moo_ont
Apr 3rd, 2004, 05:25 PM
I heard something like Elena doesn't devote her time to improve her serve. Elena must know by now what ruins her game. Like ys said, she was not outplayed at all. When it came to rallies, Elena won points. And, I think she was nervous as well.

BTW, she was so funny about not having a little sister to play for her. :lol: I wanna know what exactly did Elena mean when she said that?

tenn_ace
Apr 3rd, 2004, 05:27 PM
she was, moo ont. :bounce: