PDA

View Full Version : Maybe Venus Just Can't Improve any further?

for-sure
Apr 3rd, 2004, 12:48 AM
Telling Venus to get a better Serve is like telling Aniko Capros to get a better Serve...there is only so much you can do to practice it...

K-Dog
Apr 3rd, 2004, 12:56 AM
Believe you me, for-sure, Vensu can improve. She is a great athlete in her own right, and even I could change her serve in a minute. The forehand will never be a good shot, that shot is all mental with her. She had decent technique when she hit it correctly, and not like it broke down that much against Dementieva. Her second serve needs kick, and maybe if she changed her technique on her second serve to allow her to hit a relible kick serve, she could be a top player again. The biggest thing is that Venus' weaknesses are being exploited more and more now-a-days. Serena has no weaknesses and her technique is almost perfectg on every shot besides the volley.

BigTennisFan
Apr 3rd, 2004, 01:44 AM
Believe you me, for-sure, Vensu can improve. She is a great athlete in her own right, and even I could change her serve in a minute. The forehand will never be a good shot, that shot is all mental with her. She had decent technique when she hit it correctly, and not like it broke down that much against Dementieva. Her second serve needs kick, and maybe if she changed her technique on her second serve to allow her to hit a relible kick serve, she could be a top player again. The biggest thing is that Venus' weaknesses are being exploited more and more now-a-days. Serena has no weaknesses and her technique is almost perfectg on every shot besides the volley.
On top of that, Venus certainly has the goods to come to the net more. She said recently that she knows that she should but she can't give up her back court game. No one is asking her to give up her BC game but it's sheer stubborness for her to not try and get to the net more. Especially with her wingspan and speed. :(

Rollo
Apr 3rd, 2004, 02:10 AM
The thing is Venus used to have a better serve-just like Hingis used to be more aggressive before her decline.

Don't write Venus off-she's still young-and IMO BigTennisFan is on the money.
about coming to net.

alextreiber04
Apr 3rd, 2004, 02:13 AM
No I don't believe that. I just think she doesn't have the heart in it right now....sadly :sad:

tennnisfannn
Apr 3rd, 2004, 03:53 AM
Why wouldn't she? If Dementieva could improve this last year, if Justine could add strenght to that small frame, if Mauresmo could change her game at 22, if Jen could come back and win slams at 25, maritina N wins a singles at 46, if Lindsay could remain in the top 5 after major surgery, a small country like Belgium produce top tw players, a small family produce top two players, ... catch my drift? no way is Venus done at 22.

Mr_Molik
Apr 3rd, 2004, 05:15 AM
Telling Venus to get a better Serve is like telling Aniko Capros to get a better Serve...there is only so much you can do to practice it...

i agree- u can only go so far with the technique she has on her forehand and serve. unless she has a major change in technique, i cant see her improving all that much.
one way she can definitely improve is by coming to net more. she has the speed and wingspan