PDA

View Full Version : Will Venus ever win a title this year?

K-Dog
Apr 3rd, 2004, 01:39 AM
Me thinks that that is going to be a tall task for her. She should've beaten Dementieva 3-6, 7-5, 6-3 in the quaterfinals, and by the way Nadia played Elena, Venus would most likely be in the final. I think I'm see some of the old Venus again, but she needs to put everything together to win tournaments. Dicuss.

LindsayRocks89
Apr 3rd, 2004, 01:41 AM
plan and simple, yes she will win a title, will she win a slam? if she keeps playing like she has been then no, but i expect her play to improve and her being a factor for the last two slams of the year, french i'm not so sure?

¤CharlDa¤
Apr 3rd, 2004, 01:42 AM
I think Venus will DEFINITELY win a title this year :D

Andrew.
Apr 3rd, 2004, 01:43 AM
Who knows. She could play some Tier III and win it. I saw some of the Venus of old come out. But I saw that in Australia too. It doesn't last long. In the case of her last match, it lasted from about a third of the third set. I don't see her winning anything Tier II or above with how she is playing.

Justinefan
Apr 3rd, 2004, 01:44 AM
I don't think Venus will win a title this year. She has too many people in her way, Justine will be a factor, Elena (whether anyone wants to admit it or not) and of course lil sis will always be there to keep Venus from winning. Serena has adjusted much quicker than Venus. So I think any chance venus has will be eliminated by jhh or serena

Andrew.
Apr 3rd, 2004, 01:45 AM
I don't think Venus will win a title this year. She has too many people in her way, Justine will be a factor, Elena (whether anyone wants to admit it or not) and of course lil sis will always be there to keep Venus from winning. Serena has adjusted much quicker than Venus. So I think any chance venus has will be eliminated by jhh or serena
Most top 10 players and most Russians will be a threat to Venus.

Justinefan
Apr 3rd, 2004, 01:46 AM
Most top 10 players and most Russians will be a threat to Venus.
Agreed

K-Dog
Apr 3rd, 2004, 01:48 AM
What do you think Venus' biggest problem? I think that she can't seem to put all facites of her game together at once. She should be in the finals, you know. Venus showed me that she could step it up when it counted the most at 6-5 and was at 30-15 before the serve went off. She dealt with her unforced errors well at the end of the second and the beginning of the third and even when sdhe broke for 5-3 in the third. Venus knows that she should've that match, having 5-3, 30-15, and match point at 6-5 in the third. Maybe she just tell herself, "I can do it again, I almost did." I think Venus will remember this and be more focused at the end of matches now. Venus seemed not to be focused on her chances.

Cybelle Darkholme
Apr 3rd, 2004, 01:48 AM
Hmmm will Jen win a title this year? Wil Elena win a title this year? she is defending soon...

Justinefan
Apr 3rd, 2004, 01:49 AM
Hmmm will Jen win a title this year? Wil Elena win a title this year? she is defending soon...
next week, I think she will have to do some serious work to defend that title! I hope Jen can win a title this year, but it's not looking good, she only had one last year :mad:

Andrew.
Apr 3rd, 2004, 01:49 AM
Jen - No.

Elena - Probably. Depends who and where she plays.

Couver
Apr 3rd, 2004, 01:51 AM
LMAO :lol: :lol: Well Elena beat a healthy Justine last year on Clay so I guess if they meet up Justine will go down to her.

Justinefan
Apr 3rd, 2004, 01:53 AM
LMAO :lol: :lol: Well Elena beat a healthy Justine last year on Clay so I guess if they meet up Justine will go down to her.
:lol: :lol: The question wasn't whether Justine would lose, it was will Venus win a title, my opinion is no, so accept it and make your own :lol: :lol:

Kart
Apr 3rd, 2004, 01:54 AM
It's too early to tell.

I don't see why not, it's not like she's not slowly getting better.

for-sure
Apr 3rd, 2004, 01:54 AM
Question: Will Venus ever win a title this year?
Answer:I sure hope so.

Cybelle Darkholme
Apr 3rd, 2004, 01:57 AM
Probably. Depends who and where she plays.

This saying goes for everyone. It all depends on where and who they play and if they are healthy.

K-Dog
Apr 3rd, 2004, 01:59 AM
What has Venus left behind for the years she was dominating?

Couver
Apr 3rd, 2004, 01:59 AM
:lol: :lol: The question wasn't whether Justine would lose, it was will Venus win a title, my opinion is no, so accept it and make your own :lol: :lol:
Well one of your arguments was that certain players will stop Venus from winning. You put Elena on that list, Venus has only lost to Elena once and so has Justine. So by your logic Elena will also stop Justine from winning. Maybe you should move on:lol: :lol:

Justinefan
Apr 3rd, 2004, 02:03 AM
Well one of your arguments was that certain players will stop Venus from winning. You put Elena on that list, Venus has only lost to Elena once and so has Justine. So by your logic Elena will also stop Justine from winning. Maybe you should move on:lol: :lol:
It was just a random list of people okay, so maybe you should look at the main idea instead of the petty little parts. Is this better for you, my main idea was: Venus will be troubled by the majority of the top 10, especially serena and Justine, i don't care what the h2h is, Justine will give her trouble, so in my opinion, no venus will not win a title. is that easy enough for you to understand? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Serenan'vee
Apr 3rd, 2004, 02:17 AM
I hope Venus will win some titles this year, but it's looking like serena will do more dominating of the field than Venus.

DeDe4925
Apr 3rd, 2004, 02:22 AM
This is a troll thread. Like someone else said, it's too early to tell. She just came off an 8 month layoff with three injuries. Give her a break. She did well to get to the quarters at NASDAQ. It takes time to get your form back. She also has some technical problems she has to work on, and she needs to get match tough. If she had been match tough, there's no doubt she would have closed out that match against Demented. So give me a freaking break and while you're at it, give Venus one. She deserves it, as everyone else did when they came back after an injury time out.

Note: Edited. Should have been quarters not semis. Fruedian typo. Wishful thinking on my part, I guess. :lol:

Serenan'vee
Apr 3rd, 2004, 02:25 AM
:smash: She didn't make it to the semis, and you being so particular about everything i've read, i would think you'd know that.

Hulet
Apr 3rd, 2004, 02:29 AM
It's too early to tell.

I agree. She rarely does well before April anyways. Here are the tournaments she has won before April in any year:
Oklahoma 98
Key Biscayne 98
Oklahoma 99
Key Biscayne 99
miami 01
Gold Coast 02
Paris 02
Antwerp 02
Antwerp 03

And, this is the list of tournaments that are played after March and which Venus have won
Grand Slam Cup 98
Hamburg 99
Rome 99
New Haven 99
Zurich 99
Wimbledon 00
Stanford 00
San Diego 00
New Haven 00
USO 00
Olympics 00
Hamburg 01
Wimbeldon 01
San Diego 01
New Haven 01
USO 01
Amelia 02
Stanford 02
San Diego 02
New Haven 02
Tournaments that are played after March account for roughly 70% of the tournaments she won. Which might indicate her favoured tournaments are yet to come this year. Her staking grounds is the US hardcourt tourneys b/n Wimbeldon and USO and she has yet too play them. So, most probably she would get atleast one tourney in the bag then.

hingis-seles
Apr 3rd, 2004, 02:38 AM
The Grand Slam Cup is an exhibition and does not count towards actual head-to-head's and title counts.

Hulet
Apr 3rd, 2004, 02:44 AM
The Grand Slam Cup is an exhibition and does not count towards actual head-to-head's and title counts.
Actually, it affects the head-to-head, I think.
Still removing that result doesn't affect the fact that she wins much after March, does it, though?

Hulet
Apr 18th, 2004, 08:23 PM
:yeah: Once again, I was right. ;)

servenrichie
Apr 18th, 2004, 08:48 PM
It was just a random list of people okay, so maybe you should look at the main idea instead of the petty little parts. Is this better for you, my main idea was: Venus will be troubled by the majority of the top 10, especially serena and Justine, i don't care what the h2h is, Justine will give her trouble, so in my opinion, no venus will not win a title. is that easy enough for you to understand? :lol: :lol: :lol:Well how about eating crows now:lol: :lol: :lol:

kaki
Apr 18th, 2004, 08:50 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

alextreiber04
Apr 18th, 2004, 09:13 PM
K-Dog and JustineFan you guys are fucked up...

:haha:

vettipooh
Apr 18th, 2004, 09:33 PM
:lol: :lol: The question wasn't whether Justine would lose, it was will Venus win a title, my opinion is no, so accept it and make your own :lol: :lol: Thank God it's just your opinion,and not a FACT!!! Title #30,just fell into Vee's lap!!!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

SJW
Apr 18th, 2004, 09:37 PM
:lol:

Pureracket
Apr 18th, 2004, 09:48 PM
It was just a random list of people okay, so maybe you should look at the main idea instead of the petty little parts. Is this better for you, my main idea was: Venus will be troubled by the majority of the top 10, especially serena and Justine, i don't care what the h2h is, Justine will give her trouble, so in my opinion, no venus will not win a title. is that easy enough for you to understand? :lol: :lol: :lol::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

bandabou
Apr 18th, 2004, 09:53 PM
Oh oh....guess what?! Yes!! SHe can and she just did!! a tier I!

Sportfan
Apr 18th, 2004, 10:02 PM
Well Venus won her first tournament of the year in a convincing fashion and if her health holds up I don't think it will be her last especially if she can be as aggressive and consistent as she was throughout this tournament.

vs1
Apr 18th, 2004, 10:32 PM
Congrats Venus!! :worship: Hope you'll continue to progress and have many more titles this year and for many years to come!! :bounce:

Infiniti2001
Apr 18th, 2004, 10:50 PM
http://www.wtatour.com/global/photos_rx/venus_3948_rx.jpg

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/040418/040418_venus_hmed.hmedium.jpg

servenrichie
Apr 19th, 2004, 07:06 PM
http://www.wtatour.com/global/photos_rx/venus_3948_rx.jpg

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/040418/040418_venus_hmed.hmedium.jpgCool pictures, now where are Justinefan and k-dog. We need them to look into their crystal glasses again. This one was classic:tape: :lol:

lizchris
Apr 19th, 2004, 07:08 PM
There are some people with egg on their faces a day after they were made to look stupid when Venus won her 30th career title.

Dr.Phil
Apr 19th, 2004, 07:08 PM
I have thought about it, and I don't think Venus will win a title this year.