PDA

View Full Version : Coach Gavin Hopper charged with statutory; he denies the accusation

Spirit
Apr 2nd, 2004, 11:50 PM
http://www.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,9168559%255E1702,00.html

Tennis coach sought sex with teens

April 2, 2004

AN international tennis coach invited two teenage girls to have a threesome with him while he was a teacher at an elite Melbourne school, a court was told today.

Gavin Maxwell Hopper, who once trained Mark Philippoussis and now runs a Gold Coast tennis academy with Pat Cash, has denied allegations he indecently assaulted a teenager while working as a teacher at Wesley College in the 1980s.

Hopper, 47, allegedly started a sexual relationship with the girl, who cannot be named, when she was in Year Nine in 1985.

A committal hearing in the Melbourne Magistrates Court was today told Hopper also propositioned a friend of hers when the girls were in Year 12.

The friend, who was married to an older man while still a student at Wesley, said that after school in April 1988, the alleged victim and Hopper were both at the apartment she shared with her husband.

The girl tweaked Hopper's nipples as the three of them chatted, and Hopper had his hand up the girl's dress, the friend told the court.

She said Hopper suggested a threesome after the conversation turned to sexual experience.

"I think I was a bit shocked about the invitation being opened to me and changed the subject," the friend said.

Hopper faces three charges of indecent assault and two of gross indecency on a person under 16 in his care or supervision.

He does not face sex charges as the statute of limitations requires charges of sexual penetration of a child over 12 to be laid within a year of the alleged offence.

While Hopper has not been required to enter a formal plea, his lawyer David Galbally, QC, told an earlier hearing Hopper denied the allegations.

The former physical education teacher coached top players Monica Seles, Wally Masur, Amanda Coetzer and Jason Stoltenberg in 13 years on the world tour.

He is a former fitness adviser with AFL club Fitzroy and has held academic posts at the University of Melbourne, Deakin University and RMIT.

The hearing before Magistrate Reg Marron resumes on Monday.

mboyle
Apr 2nd, 2004, 11:51 PM
THEY ONLY HAVE A YEAR TO REPORT IT????????:fiery: :fiery: :fiery: :rolleyes:

tennischick
Apr 3rd, 2004, 12:11 AM
he and Pat Cash are friends you say?? show me your friends and i'll show you who you are...:rolleyes:

Kart
Apr 3rd, 2004, 12:22 AM
Isn't Gavin Hopper the one that's raising his daughter to be a tennis superstar ?

Vicky88
Apr 3rd, 2004, 12:48 AM
All I can say is we should remember he is innocent until his guilt is proven.

There has been such a spate of these types of accusations in Australia over the past few years and I can't recall any case where the allegations have been proven. Of course in each case the coaches name has been dragged through the mud. I wonder if Hopper wasn't high profile and all cashed up whether these allegations would have ever been made.

SpikeyAidanm
Apr 3rd, 2004, 02:58 AM
Isn't Gavin Hopper the one that's raising his daughter to be a tennis superstar ?

Yep :p

and shes way too overated

Mr_Molik
Apr 3rd, 2004, 03:49 AM
Yep :p

and shes way too overated

yea i agree ive seen her play live a few time
same with ben mitchell who hopper is also training

Ice Ice Baby
Apr 3rd, 2004, 07:00 AM
Gavin Hopper's a whore.

~|Naomi|~
Apr 3rd, 2004, 12:30 PM
and has held academic posts at the University of Melbourne,
heehee they forgot one, the uni I go to:p how nic glad they left it off! This isn't new news it came out middle of last year

SpikeyAidanm
Apr 3rd, 2004, 12:32 PM
Naomi, do you wirte for tennisrulz?