PDA

View Full Version : USTA: Nasdaq-100 Open Women's Final Preview

alextreiber04
Apr 2nd, 2004, 09:43 PM
By Greg Laub, USTA.com

Serena Williams (1) vs. Elena Dementieva (5)

Serena Williams had one goal on her return to the court following an eight-month absence due to injuries. She didn’t want to lose in the first round. However, she also added that she wasn’t surprised to reach the finals either.

And that is just what the top seed at Key Biscayne has done, as she has dusted off the rust (was there any?) and plowed her way back to the finals with five straight victories, the last a 6-4, 6-4 semifinal win over No. 25 Eleni Daniilidou. Serena said she has most of her legs and wind back, but more importantly, her confidence is back too.

"Physically this is great, but mentally it's awesome. I really, really am proud of myself because it's hard to come back,” Serena said after the win over Daniilidou. “It's nerve-racking."

http://picsrv.usta.com/fif=/usta/usta/img_13_6878.fpx&obj=iip,1.0&wid=200&hei=142&rgn=0,0,0,0&cvt=jpeg

Serena Williams
©

The two-time defending champion takes her confidence (and either her white and silver corset dress, the revealing tank top and hot pants, or a wild card new outfit) into the finals against No. 5 Elena Dementieva on Saturday.
Dementieva, who upset Venus Williams in the quarterfinals, is coming off a relatively easy 6-4, 6-2 semifinal win over fellow Russian and No. 8 seed Nadia Petrova.

Serena Williams will get a chance to avenge her sister Venus's defeat on Saturday, and it will be just the second time she and Dementieva have met.

The first meeting was last year at Wimbledon in the fourth round, which Serena won 6-2, 6-2 on her way to beating Venus for the Grand Slam title. That was the last major final Serena has played in at all until tomorrow’s match.

The key component to the outcome will likely be the service games of both women.

"I think she has the best serve on the tour,” Dementieva conceded. “So I'm going to be in trouble on her serve.”

Serving could very well be a large part of the match. Along with Serena’s monster service game, Dementieva’s service game is perhaps the worst on the tour right now amongst top players.

A quick comparison: In their five matches so far here at Key Biscayne, Serena has smashed 31 aces and committed just 9 double faults, while Dementieva has just three aces to go along with an incredible 48 double faults.

Serena’s first serve percentage in those five matches has been well over 70% on average, with Dementieva’s closer to 60%.

http://picsrv.usta.com/fif=/usta/usta/img_13_6610.fpx&obj=iip,1.0&wid=155&hei=220&rgn=0,0,0,0&cvt=jpeg

Elena Dementieva of Russia
© Getty Images

On top of that, Serena’s return game is top-notch, and Dementieva’s return game is just mediocre.
So how does the Russian stand a chance?

"I think (my serve) is going to be too slow for her," Dementieva joked. "It's going to be kind of a drop shot for her."

That may have been said in jest, but her junk-ball second serve can be difficult to handle, and it seemed to tie up Venus in the quarterfinals.

But the best shot of Dementieva pulling off the upset is to be patient and stay determined. This is probably the longest stretch Serena had not played some sort of competitive tennis in years, so it’s possible she could tire at the end of this long tournament.

If Dementieva can be more accurate with her first serve and run Serena around a little bit, the American could tire enough to lose something off her own serve. With a little luck, the match could reach a third set, where anything is possible.

But, knowing the heart and passion Serena always seems to muster up when she’s down, even fatigue from an eight-month sabbatical is unlikely to stop her.

Williams' Road to the Finals
Round Opponent Result
1st Round Bye
2nd Round M. Marrero 6-1, 6-0
3rd Round E. Likhvtseva (31) 6-1, 4-6, 6-3
4th Round M. Sharapova (17) 6-4, 6-3
Quartefinals J. Craybas 6-0, 6-1
Semifinals E. Daniilidou (25) 6-4, 6-4

Dementieva's Road to the Finals
Round Opponent Result
1st Round Bye
2nd Round N. Petrova (8) 6-4, 6-2
3rd Round V. Williams (2) 6-3, 5-7, 7-6
4th Round J. Dokic (12) 5-7, 6-1, 6-3
Quartefinals M. Sanchez Lorenzo (26) 6-4, 6-3
Semifinals R. Dragomir Ilie 6-4, 6-1

goldenlox
Apr 2nd, 2004, 09:46 PM
"Dementieva has just three aces to go along with an incredible 48 double faults."

And she's in the finals of a (so-called) Tier I.

DeDe4925
Apr 2nd, 2004, 10:15 PM
By Greg Laub, USTA.com

Serena Williams (1) vs. Elena Dementieva (5)

Serena Williams had one goal on her return to the court following an eight-month absence due to injuries. She didn’t want to lose in the first round. However, she also added that she wasn’t surprised to reach the finals either.

And that is just what the top seed at Key Biscayne has done, as she has dusted off the rust (was there any?) and plowed her way back to the finals with five straight victories, the last a 6-4, 6-4 semifinal win over No. 25 Eleni Daniilidou. Serena said she has most of her legs and wind back, but more importantly, her confidence is back too.

"Physically this is great, but mentally it's awesome. I really, really am proud of myself because it's hard to come back,” Serena said after the win over Daniilidou. “It's nerve-racking."

http://picsrv.usta.com/fif=/usta/usta/img_13_6878.fpx&obj=iip,1.0&wid=200&hei=142&rgn=0,0,0,0&cvt=jpeg

Serena Williams
©

The two-time defending champion takes her confidence (and either her white and silver corset dress, the revealing tank top and hot pants, or a wild card new outfit) into the finals against No. 5 Elena Dementieva on Saturday.
Dementieva, who upset Venus Williams in the quarterfinals, is coming off a relatively easy 6-4, 6-2 semifinal win over fellow Russian and No. 8 seed Nadia Petrova.

Serena Williams will get a chance to avenge her sister Venus's defeat on Saturday, and it will be just the second time she and Dementieva have met.

The first meeting was last year at Wimbledon in the fourth round, which Serena won 6-2, 6-2 on her way to beating Venus for the Grand Slam title. That was the last major final Serena has played in at all until tomorrow’s match.

The key component to the outcome will likely be the service games of both women.

"I think she has the best serve on the tour,” Dementieva conceded. “So I'm going to be in trouble on her serve.”

Serving could very well be a large part of the match. Along with Serena’s monster service game, Dementieva’s service game is perhaps the worst on the tour right now amongst top players.

A quick comparison: In their five matches so far here at Key Biscayne, Serena has smashed 31 aces and committed just 9 double faults, while Dementieva has just three aces to go along with an incredible 48 double faults.

Serena’s first serve percentage in those five matches has been well over 70% on average, with Dementieva’s closer to 60%.

http://picsrv.usta.com/fif=/usta/usta/img_13_6610.fpx&obj=iip,1.0&wid=155&hei=220&rgn=0,0,0,0&cvt=jpeg

Elena Dementieva of Russia
© Getty Images

On top of that, Serena’s return game is top-notch, and Dementieva’s return game is just mediocre.
So how does the Russian stand a chance?

"I think (my serve) is going to be too slow for her," Dementieva joked. "It's going to be kind of a drop shot for her."

That may have been said in jest, but her junk-ball second serve can be difficult to handle, and it seemed to tie up Venus in the quarterfinals.

But the best shot of Dementieva pulling off the upset is to be patient and stay determined. This is probably the longest stretch Serena had not played some sort of competitive tennis in years, so it’s possible she could tire at the end of this long tournament.

If Dementieva can be more accurate with her first serve and run Serena around a little bit, the American could tire enough to lose something off her own serve. With a little luck, the match could reach a third set, where anything is possible.

But, knowing the heart and passion Serena always seems to muster up when she’s down, even fatigue from an eight-month sabbatical is unlikely to stop her.

Williams' Road to the Finals
Round Opponent Result
1st Round Bye
2nd Round M. Marrero 6-1, 6-0
3rd Round E. Likhvtseva (31) 6-1, 4-6, 6-3
4th Round M. Sharapova (17) 6-4, 6-3
Quartefinals J. Craybas 6-0, 6-1
Semifinals E. Daniilidou (25) 6-4, 6-4

Round Opponent Result
1st Round Bye
2nd Round N. Petrova (8) 6-4, 6-2
3rd Round V. Williams (2) 6-3, 5-7, 7-6
Quartefinals M. Sanchez Lorenzo (26) 6-4, 6-3
Semifinals R. Dragomir Ilie 6-4, 6-1
Don't you have this backward?

Shouldn't it be:

Round Opponent Result
1st Round Bye
2nd Round R. Dragomir Ilie 6-4, 6-1
3rd Round M. Sanchez Lorenzo (26) 6-4, 6-3
Quartefinals V. Williams (2) 6-3, 5-7, 7-6
Semifinals N. Petrova (8) 6-4, 6-2

for-sure
Apr 2nd, 2004, 10:30 PM
"Dementieva has just three aces to go along with an incredible 48 double faults."

And she's in the finals of a (so-called) Tier I.

It was even good enough to beat the Second best player in the World. :rolleyes:

alextreiber04
Apr 2nd, 2004, 10:30 PM
Hey, I didn't write the prediction.

bandabou
Apr 2nd, 2004, 10:32 PM
Serena serve well= Serena wins. Simple....and nothing Elena can do about it.

mboyle
Apr 2nd, 2004, 10:48 PM
"and Dementieva's return game is merely mediocre..."

OMG what crap. W/O Dementieva's return game, she'd never win matches:o .

kodeRED
Apr 2nd, 2004, 10:51 PM
event tho i am a huge elena fan i don't mind most of this article... except for where the retard of a writer calls dementieva's return game mediocre... even those who hate elena must admit that to stay alive in all her matches with such a weak serve of her own she has had to break many times and she has been successful because of an amazing return game... we can see that whenever we watch her matches.
anywho .. gooo ELENA

alextreiber04
Apr 2nd, 2004, 10:54 PM
No. I disagree. I believe Elena has a bad return game just big strokes.

Ryan
Apr 2nd, 2004, 11:49 PM

I personally think you're wrong. Give Elena a serve to her forehand and she will get the point to even half the time, and take the advantage in some as well. She is very consistant off the ground and if she employs her hitting up the middle strategy she could make it close.

ys
Apr 2nd, 2004, 11:54 PM
Serena serve well= Serena wins. Simple....and nothing Elena can do about it.
Describe "well".

Justinefan
Apr 3rd, 2004, 12:10 AM
Then you are in denial

fammmmedspin
Apr 3rd, 2004, 12:18 AM
Whats the wind forcasted to be doing when the final is on - Serena had problems against the world 25 in the wind and Dementieva is a fine, fast, smarter returner if the wind stops Serena turning it into a serving fest.

Justinefan
Apr 3rd, 2004, 12:21 AM
It's Miami, it's always windy. We live for the wind!

locawilliams
Apr 3rd, 2004, 01:27 AM
Does anybody knows what time and where are they showing the women's final tommorrow. I need help.

Serenan'vee
Apr 3rd, 2004, 01:29 AM
it's at noon est and i think abc, maybe cbs, but it's definitely one of the two

alextreiber04
Apr 3rd, 2004, 01:29 AM
CBS @ 12 pm

davenport_1
Apr 3rd, 2004, 02:54 AM
I think Dementieva has the best all around groundstrokes on tour.

Serenan'vee
Apr 3rd, 2004, 02:56 AM
I think Dementieva has the best all around groundstrokes on tour.
I agree with you, Her and Lindsay Davenport

Mr_Molik
Apr 3rd, 2004, 06:15 AM
elena has the best crosscourt forehand on tour

bandabou
Apr 3rd, 2004, 08:36 AM
Wow....Elena D has the best return, the best forehand, the best cross-court forehand, one of the fastest.....then my question is: How does she have only three titles and two of those the weakest of tier III´s?! I don´t get it...if she´s SOOOOOOO good in all those things, where have they been hiding then?!

tennisjunky
Apr 3rd, 2004, 08:41 AM
Wow....Elena D has the best return, the best forehand, the best cross-court forehand, one of the fastest.....then my question is: How does she have only three titles and two of those the weakest of tier III´s?! I don´t get it...if she´s SOOOOOOO good in all those things, where have they been hiding then?!
:worship: