PDA

View Full Version : Hingis/Davenport era? Sisters era? Henin-Hardene/Clijsters era? Russian girls era?

A'DAM
Apr 2nd, 2004, 08:49 PM
Im wondering which era you guys liked more when Hingis and Davenport ruled or maybe time when Williams sisters was on top? Or maybe now when Belgim duo score the top???
:wavey: :wavey: :wavey: :wavey: :wavey: :wavey: :wavey: :wavey: :wavey: :wavey: :wavey: :wavey: :wavey: :wavey: :wavey: :wavey:

for-sure
Apr 2nd, 2004, 08:50 PM
JHH and the short JenCap Era!

SelesFan70
Apr 2nd, 2004, 08:52 PM
I'm writing in a vote: Graf/Seles :angel:

bandabou
Apr 2nd, 2004, 08:55 PM
the Williams-era was cool, but I liked it more when it was a four or fivesome battling for the titles. Thus Hingis-Davenport-Williams2x and now hopefully Williams 2x and Belgians.

ace4lleykim
Apr 2nd, 2004, 08:56 PM
I'm in for all.

A'DAM
Apr 2nd, 2004, 09:00 PM

Big apologies This era was amazing too!!!!!!!!!!! :wavey: :wavey: :wavey:

OUT!
Apr 2nd, 2004, 09:15 PM
the Williams-era was cool, but I liked it more when it was a four or fivesome battling for the titles. Thus Hingis-Davenport-Williams2x and now hopefully Williams 2x and Belgians.Absolutely, all amazing :worship: But also what SelesFan70 said re Steffi and Monica (although wasn't Arantxa in there as well?).

A'DAM
Apr 2nd, 2004, 09:17 PM
Absolutely, all amazing :worship: But also what SelesFan70 said re Steffi and Monica (although wasn't Arantxa in there as well?).

Yeap she was also nb1!!!

Shortly but she was on the top!!! :wavey:

tennisIlove09
Apr 2nd, 2004, 10:16 PM
None. I like the 1998-1999-2000 when literally anyone could win any title.

The Williamses, even though I like Venus, got old quickly, because their matches (all in 2002) sucked. JHH/Clijsters have played one good slam final, so I find them boring--and they are in the middle of all the injuries.

Crazy_Fool
Apr 2nd, 2004, 10:39 PM
All the years when many players won. Not any years where there was one dominant player as that is soooooo :zzz: :zzz:

Billabong
Apr 2nd, 2004, 11:08 PM
Definitely Hingis-Davenport and Hingis-Venus :eek:! These are the best matches I've ever seen :eek:!!! We could never know who would win... I miss those rivalries sooo much..

V&SGotItGoingOn
Apr 2nd, 2004, 11:22 PM
I like the hingis/davenport/venus era, and the venus/serena era, I am not too crazy about the justine/kim era, only because I wish kim would win some more matches against justine, but we might be looking at a serena/justine era pretty soon, with venus and kim close behind them.

VS Fan
Apr 3rd, 2004, 01:03 AM
If the Williams Sisters can remain healthy, I predict that the Justine/Kim era will be noted as just a "bubble" while the best players were out, then the Venus/Serena era will continue, with ocassional "upsets" mostly by Justine.

These three players are CLEARLY above the rest, with Kim and Jennifer next after a moderate gap. Jennifer matches up great with Serena, but has given up some of the mental toughness she had in 2001-2002.

Justine is a top quality player with ALL the shots one needs. She is clearly better on clay, with Serena close behind. She is getting better on hard courts, and WILL be a factor.

Kim is mostly a counter puncher vs the other top players, but could be great if she develops a more offensive game.

Justinefan
Apr 3rd, 2004, 01:06 AM
Graf/Seles and Hingis/davenport

R&J
Apr 3rd, 2004, 01:45 AM
Definitely :yeah:

kosmikgroove
Apr 3rd, 2004, 01:47 AM
Definitely Hingis-Davenport and Hingis-Venus :eek:! These are the best matches I've ever seen :eek:!!! We could never know who would win... I miss those rivalries sooo much..

i definately agree!

#1 Lindsay
Apr 3rd, 2004, 03:10 AM
If the Williams Sisters can remain healthy, I predict that the Justine/Kim era will be noted as just a "bubble" while the best players were out, then the Venus/Serena era will continue, with ocassional "upsets" mostly by Justine.

These three players are CLEARLY above the rest, with Kim and Jennifer next after a moderate gap. Jennifer matches up great with Serena, but has given up some of the mental toughness she had in 2001-2002.

Justine is a top quality player with ALL the shots one needs. She is clearly better on clay, with Serena close behind. She is getting better on hard courts, and WILL be a factor.

Kim is mostly a counter puncher vs the other top players, but could be great if she develops a more offensive game.

JENNIFER??????? :scratch: :shrug:

Mr_Molik
Apr 3rd, 2004, 03:21 AM
the 1998-2000 era when hingis, aranxta, jana, lindsay, steffi, mary pierce, serena and venus all won atleast 1 slam and conchita, monica, nathalie tauziat and amelie all made finals! those were the days....

davenport_1
Apr 3rd, 2004, 04:01 AM
Everything from the williams and up was boring because it was so predictable....(except for JCap)

Bacardi
Apr 3rd, 2004, 04:09 AM
I would have to say the Hingis/Davenport era. Simply because it was more competitive back then, even thou I give the slight edge to Davenport. But how could you all leave out the Hingis/Venus era? :eek: Those matches were INSTANT CLASSICS!!! I mean you are talking about a head to head that was like Hingis 10 and Venus 9 or something, I know Hingis left when she was 1 up on Venus, that just shows how tight those two played one another.

I still like the Justine/Kim era, simply because I'm a big fan of Juju. But it's boring because we know when it comes to finals time, Justine's going to mop the court with Kimmy. It's boring when you already know who's going to win. Just like in the past with Serena/Venus, we all knew Serena was going to mop the floor with Venus at the majors. Right now the game lacks true depth and it's going to hurt the WTA, but there's nothing really that can be done about it.

Mr_Molik
Apr 3rd, 2004, 05:57 AM
Right now the game lacks true depth and it's going to hurt the WTA, but there's nothing really that can be done about it.

i know what to do about it- get rid of juju, kim, serena, venus, lindsay and jcap then the tour would be truly competitive :p

7~ŚLęV3ń˝
Apr 3rd, 2004, 06:13 AM
Hingis-venus-davenport-serena

bigshow21
Apr 3rd, 2004, 06:15 AM
Jennifer Capriati Era Forever!!!!!!!! :) :) :worship: :worship: :worship: :) :)

A'DAM
Apr 3rd, 2004, 07:33 AM
the 1998-2000 era when hingis, aranxta, jana, lindsay, steffi, mary pierce, serena and venus all won atleast 1 slam and conchita, monica, nathalie tauziat and amelie all made finals! those were the days....

YES and WE ALL miss that era!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

Maajken
Apr 3rd, 2004, 07:59 AM
davenport/hingis :worship:

Purple_Llama
Apr 3rd, 2004, 08:17 AM
I don't think I properly appreciated Hingis,until she had sadly left the game.She had some awesome matches with Lindsay & the Williams so I vote for Hingis/Davenport.Lindsay was such a great champion too,& you could tell the girls had a genuine appreciation for each other :) I missed much of the Seles/Graf matches apart from that US final in 96.Also Steffi & Aranxta had some amazing French Open finals in the mid 90's :worship:

jenny161185
Apr 3rd, 2004, 08:24 AM
hingis davenport and the williams as someone else said we were almost guaranteed a classic!

A'DAM
Apr 3rd, 2004, 03:36 PM
hingis davenport and the williams as someone else said we were almost guaranteed a classic!

Yeap!

i heart backhand
Apr 3rd, 2004, 03:42 PM
My vote is for Hingis/Davenport, however... I also enjoyed the brief Capriati era, especially her matches vs. Hingins at the AO!

:bounce:

A'DAM
Jul 19th, 2004, 09:33 PM
Russian era??? will it be nice??? :confused: :wavey: :lick:

CJK
Jul 19th, 2004, 11:02 PM
Hingis/Lindsay of course, they ended up as #1 from 97-2001, for 5 years, Lindsay 2x, Martina 3x.
Serena and Justine only ended as year end #1 once.:). And Russsian era is a joke :rolleyes: .

Hingis and Lindsay domination was an era where so many of the former #1's are still around, ASV, Steffi, Monica, etc. etc. and there are just so many great stories with Anna Kournikova and Jelena Dokic having surprise run at Wimbledon. And about young prodigies like Kim Clijsters. And Williams sisters are so much more fun to be the hunters instead of the ones to be hunted. It is just magical.:).

Hingiswinsthis
Jul 19th, 2004, 11:50 PM
Pam Shriver did say it right in a telecast in Indian Wells.........the golden age of women's tennis sadly ended when Hingis retired :sad:

A'DAM
Jul 19th, 2004, 11:50 PM
Hingis/Lindsay of course, they ended up as #1 from 97-2001, for 5 years, Lindsay 2x, Martina 3x.
Serena and Justine only ended as year end #1 once.:). And Russsian era is a joke :rolleyes: .

Hingis and Lindsay domination was an era where so many of the former #1's are still around, ASV, Steffi, Monica, etc. etc. and there are just so many great stories with Anna Kournikova and Jelena Dokic having surprise run at Wimbledon. And about young prodigies like Kim Clijsters. And Williams sisters are so much more fun to be the hunters instead of the ones to be hunted. It is just magical.:).

I agree

CJ07
Jul 19th, 2004, 11:57 PM
As for the belgians 1 year isn't really an era...actually it didn't even last a year. The French till Indian Wells? Thats 10 months.

Williams era lasted from 2000-2003 Wimbledon, and I think that was the best.
Quality wise, probably Hingis/Lindsay era where it was more open

Nastyafan
Jul 20th, 2004, 12:22 AM
And Russsian era is a joke :rolleyes: .Be ready for long looooong laughter:haha: (http://www.wtaworld.com/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=privatemessage#)

Joana
Jul 20th, 2004, 12:41 AM
Russian era (still) is a joke because 2 months don't make an era. Of course, we may as well witness a Russian era in the future, but now...

CJK
Jul 20th, 2004, 12:55 AM
Quality wise, probably Hingis/Lindsay era where it was more open
Williams sisters were not on top until Serena won French Open in 2002, and she lasted just 5 weeks long than a year. Venus did win a few slams between 2000 and 2001, but I dont want to say it's a "Williams era" where it's more like Venus doing great in 2000 and 2001 followed by Serena getting #1 ranking in 2002.

mboyle
Jul 20th, 2004, 04:21 AM
I think the best era is going to be Serena/Justine/Maria, which is going to last from Wimby '04 until Olympics '08, at which point Maria will just dominate the field. My prediction at least.

Hant Hant
Jul 20th, 2004, 04:25 AM
i like the JHH/Kim/Sharapova eva

Chunchun
Jul 20th, 2004, 04:40 AM
LenaD era

ys
Jul 20th, 2004, 04:46 AM

Williiams era last 1 year - RG 2002-W2003
Before that it was year and a half of Venus/Jennifer Era. Serena had no business being a part of it.

CJ07
Jul 20th, 2004, 05:27 AM
Jennifer had no Era.
She won two majors, but didn't do anything else.
Serena dominated along with Venus starting with Toronto.
I agree in 2000 she was just a dissapointment.

ys
Jul 20th, 2004, 05:34 AM
Jennifer had no Era.
She won two majors, but didn't do anything else.
Excuse me? She won 3 out of 5 majors between 01/2001 and 02/2002. She was closer than anyone since Monica Seles to a calendar Grand Slam. She has her Era, whether you like it or not.

Sam L
Jul 20th, 2004, 06:07 AM
Excuse me? She won 3 out of 5 majors between 01/2001 and 02/2002. She was closer than anyone since Monica Seles to a calendar Grand Slam. She has her Era, whether you like it or not.
No she wasn't. Hingis won 3 slams in a row. I don't think there was a Jennifer-era.

Jennifer year, but that's it.

Williams era 2000-2003. I'm not saying that 2004 in an end of their era, we'll have to see how 2005 turns out first.

Justine has no era yet either. She's in the same boat as Jenn right now.

A'DAM
Jul 20th, 2004, 08:23 AM
But lets get back to russian girls...
Guys do you think they will dominate the field for long time now???

Sam L
Jul 20th, 2004, 10:25 AM
But lets get back to russian girls...
Guys do you think they will dominate the field for long time now???
No. Like I said, can we wait awhile? Serena's only 22. :confused:

bandabou
Jul 20th, 2004, 12:47 PM
Well the Russian-era seem to be a bit unfair imo....I mean you have got SOOOOOOOOO many of them out there, that it wouldn´t be that hard for them to keep it on. An era is at most two players dominating the field for a period of time.

Otherwise we could have been talking about American domination since u.s.open ´99 etc...

A'DAM
Jul 20th, 2004, 01:16 PM
Well the Russian-era seem to be a bit unfair imo....I mean you have got SOOOOOOOOO many of them out there, that it wouldn´t be that hard for them to keep it on. An era is at most two players dominating the field for a period of time.

Otherwise we could have been talking about American domination since u.s.open ´99 etc...

Good point!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Greenout
Jul 20th, 2004, 01:21 PM
In terms of tennis excitement and fun I would have to
say the Hingis/LD era featuring the Sisters coming up
to take those two on circa 1997-2000. Really entertaining
matches at practically every tournament. And everybody use
to show up too! :lol:

The Capster's mini reign was fun- Hingis, Serena, LD and
Kim getting the brunt of the abuse. :p

Can't really call it the Belgian era because it's really only about
one person:the Boss. Was sort of happy seeing Kim beat
Serena at the YEC; but other than that she's not my cup of tea.
There's no tension with Kimmy, she's too nice.
It's more of the "Justine Era" rather than a Belgium era
:haha: Justine 2001- present. Watching the Boss is pure joy, she's
more of a throw back to Hingis in the way that she's a one-man
attack army, that has detractors and enemies everywhere.

Too early for the Russian era. It's officially an "era" when a player
becomes number #1.

bandabou
Jul 20th, 2004, 01:36 PM
In terms of tennis excitement and fun I would have to
say the Hingis/LD era featuring the Sisters coming up
to take those two on circa 1997-2000. Really entertaining
matches at practically every tournament. And everybody use
to show up too! :lol:

The Capster's mini reign was fun- Hingis, Serena, LD and
Kim getting the brunt of the abuse. :p

Can't really call it the Belgian era because it's really only about
one person:the Boss. Was sort of happy seeing Kim beat
Serena at the YEC; but other than that she's not my cup of tea.
There's no tension with Kimmy, she's too nice.
It's more of the "Justine Era" rather than a Belgium era
:haha: Justine 2001- present. Watching the Boss is pure joy, she's
more of a throw back to Hingis in the way that she's a one-man
attack army, that has detractors and enemies everywhere.

Too early for the Russian era. It's officially an "era" when a player
becomes number #1.

Belgian era...more like Juju-era indeed. Need to win something bigger than YEC to be form part of an era imo.

Crazy_Fool
Jul 20th, 2004, 01:38 PM
Belgian era...more like Juju-era indeed. Need to win something bigger than YEC to be form part of an era imo.
:lol:

Carsten
Jul 20th, 2004, 02:48 PM
Hingis/Davenport :)

hablo
Jul 20th, 2004, 03:48 PM
Hingis/Davenport era !!

xan
Jul 20th, 2004, 03:56 PM
The Russian era will be the best!