PDA

View Full Version : Do you think some Venus fans secretly want Serena to lose?

Stefwhit
Apr 2nd, 2004, 07:27 PM
This isn't meant as a controversial question or anything, I'm possing a question that's been on my mind lately to other Serena fans.

On the surface I know that may sound like an odd question, but speaking as a fan of just one of the sisters, I know that if things were the other way around I wouldn’t mind Venus losing cuz it would then help to alleviate some of the pressure. For other fans this may come across as an odd question because so many Serena fans are Venus fans, but even fans of both have a favorite- and we're only human. If Serena losses in the final then it would do a few good things for Venus. Thinking back, no one expected big results from Venus in her first few matches of the year (except of course for Venus fans with high hopes,) but there really wasn't a lot of pressure for Venus to pick up where she left off- not right away anyway. After the first, second, and third lost the questions turned to "exactly how long is this supposed to take?". Fast forward to this tournament, Serena's first since an even longer layoff, and there she is playing in the final.

Because a lot of people in the media tend to paint things in a black and white style, and because a lot of fans are always looking to “prove” the Williams reign is a thing of the past the talk that we’re starting to hear is "either Serena is really good" or "something's wrong with Venus". I think the media would rather take the latter position- the more drama the better. If Serena were to lose, especially to the same player Venus did, then it at least keeps them in the same boat, whereas a win puts Venus' past results under a microscope, not to mention the focus on her next few tournaments will be tremendous.

Keeping in mind there are other Venus fans' outraged with the Dementieva loss and want Serena to exact revenge in the name of Venus- I'm not wondering about these types of fans motivations. Even in this case though, it's still an interesting thing occuring cuz it's like the fans use the other player as a second chance. In a way it's like a win-win.

Just a few things I've been thinkin' about...

Kabezya
Apr 2nd, 2004, 09:27 PM
I visit www.venusserenafans.com so I've seen how some fans of Venus and conversely some fans of Serena are more critical of the other sister and while I've never read or seen any fan of either sister want the other to lose, I've seen some fans of just Serena or just Venus, who only root for one sister.

Right now and really in the past couple of months I've seen more criticism coming from fans of Venus about Venus or fans of Serena about Serena and their practicing, lack thereof, or who they go out with, what they do in their spare time, what they aren't doing right on the court, etc.. Sometimes it does bother me because some of it I consider harsh and really not a place where a fan can say anything, but it happens. so it's really a weird thing that can go both ways.

But on a general level I think most fans, whether they are just fans of Serena or Venus want both sisters to do well.

tennisjunky
Apr 4th, 2004, 05:30 AM
I think today all William's fans both Venus and Serena were able to find joy in Serena's success today! Nice win for Serena, she's looking good which is great positioning for her going into the clay season. I think her success is going to help in giving Venus a push and motivating her to elevate her play.

Stefwhit
Apr 4th, 2004, 06:55 PM
With tennis, moreso than with some other sports, so much of what happens on the court is tied to what's going on in between your head. When it's all said and done, maybe it's possible that Serena's confidence in herself is the single biggest difference between the two. This has nothing at all to do with heart, I would never question anyone's heart because if there out there when they don't have to be it's pretty obvious their heart is with the sport. As Vee get's her confidence back both her agression and accuracy will both greatly improve.

Siyasema
Apr 5th, 2004, 01:19 AM
I agree with Stefwhit. Venus in a way has been the Sister of my heart. I adore both Serena and Venus and want both to win. I'm sad when one loses and happy when one of them wins. I cannot judge nor question either of their hearts because I'm not them and I cannot do what they do or know what it takes to be the best 24/7. I hope there aren't any Venus fans who secretly want Serena to lose, but that there are just Venus fans who want Venus to do better and appreciate what Serena is doing right now.

the cat
Apr 6th, 2004, 08:31 PM
I do think that some Venus fans want Serena to lose. And in a way it is natural. Venus was supposed to do what Serena has done the past couple of Venus. Venus is having a tremendous career but it's not quite at Serena's level and that has to frustrate some Venus fans to the point of wanting Serena to lose. Even though Serena and Venus are sisters they have alot of fans who prefer 1 of the sisters and that's why some of the Venus fans wanting Serena to lose would come into play. And I'm sure some of Serena's fans are very happy she has seperated herself from venus as a tennis player.

Stefwhit
Apr 7th, 2004, 01:39 AM
... And I'm sure some of Serena's fans are very happy she has seperated herself from venus as a tennis player.
You hit it right on the head for this Serena fan. I hate that the two are always refered to as one player, "the Williams Sisters". It's like there is some unwriten rule that if you like one you have to like the other. So in my case I really like that Serena has really seperated herself from her sister, although I do wish Vee the best of luck. I would prefer is she was playing up to her full potential.

DeDe4925
Apr 19th, 2004, 06:09 AM
What I don't appreciate is if I make a negative comment about Venus or a seemingly negative comment about her, I get accused of being one of those Serena fans who criticize Venus. I resent that, because I'm a fan of Venus too and why can't I constructively critisize her as I would Serena. I hate the devisiveness. When I was on the Yahoo boards, the Williams' fans were fans of both sisters. Sure we had a favorite, but basically we loved them both with all our hearts. Here, I find that there are some who are one or the other and if you tend to lean toward the one or the other at times, they go for your juggler. Now, I must say, I haven't seen that from "Serena only" fans, but I've seen it from some "Venus only" fans and once directed toward me even though my signature clearly states "Williams' sisters fan". I hate it because the die-hard Williams' haters love it. It's unnecessary. Yes, I do believe that some of them want Serena to lose. I think this as a result of the attack I received after making the comment that Serena was not like Venus and that Serena would remember her loss to Petrova. I was a accused of not being a true Venus fan. It was silly. So, from the tone of that exchange I sincerely think that a few of them do want Serena to lose so that they can feel better about Venus. I hope after today, they (the Venus only fans) can feel a little more secure and not have to resort to division between the sisters. They the "only fans" should take heed from the sisters themselves. They are never devisive and I don't think they want their fans to be either.

SJW
Apr 19th, 2004, 08:17 AM
yes Serena is treated as the "bastard child" by many Venus and indeed Williams fans :)

Avid Merrion
Apr 19th, 2004, 09:47 AM
yes, and it's not always very secretive either.

SJW
Apr 19th, 2004, 07:57 PM
^troof

Serendy Willick
Apr 19th, 2004, 07:59 PM
Ever since Serena gained her top form and beat Venus in five straight slam finals, Venus fans have been pretty salty. They come with asinine lame ass comments such as "She gave the finals away" and use their relationship as an asinine excuse not to give Serena the respect that she deserves as a player and a professional. Frankly it gets old and lame.

Stefwhit
Apr 19th, 2004, 11:55 PM
Generally speaking, I think most Venus fans are supportive of Serena- but there are a few things that I’ve noticed that kind of irk me from time to time. One thing I’ve noticed (which BTW doesn't bother me,) is some Venus fans have no problems giving Serena her props when Serena defeats other players on tour. When Serena beats Venus however, I notice their tone takes a drastic change- more often than not you tend to hear things like, Venus lost the match rather than Serena won the match. I think because Venus fans truly believe that at their (respective) bests that Venus is a better player, so that probably explains why they have a hard time rationalizing why Venus continues to end up on the losing end of their on-court battles. To some degree that’s to be expected, and honestly that doesn’t bother me- the way I see it, the results speak for themselves.

One thing I have noticed that does bother me is that “some” Venus fans often use Serena as a crutch during the times where Venus isn’t playing well- but the moment Venus is seemingly “back”, they’re quick to toss Serena aside without a second thought. My best friend is a diehard Venus fanatic and during Serena’s Nasdaq final, he told me that from where he’s sitting it’s a win-win situation. He said, "if Serena were to lose to the same player Venus did, it wouldn’t be such a big deal that Venus lost- it takes the spotlight off her loss, and if Serena were to win, then Serena would be getting revenge for all the Venus fans" so either way he would be happy. I hadn’t thought about it in those terms until he said that. And for some reason that kind of bothered me... Since then I’ve noticed a lot of Venus fans riding Serena’s coattails as of late, but now that Venus won a title some of them have tossed Serena aside and now they’re proudly supporting their player. I don’t mean to generalize, or even suggest that my friend is a representative of all or even most Venus fans...but I have noticed that with a “few” Venus fans and that’s who I’m commenting on.

“Venus is having a tremendous career but it's not quite at Serena's level and that has to frustrate some Venus fans to the point.”
- I think there may be a little of that at play, to some degree. But you have to admit of all the “other” fans out there, Venus fans are the by far the best, in regards to Serena. And I think that mostly has to do with Serena and Venus being so close to one another. I guess there is a little divisiveness between the two camps, but for the most part, it’s either minimal or kept hidden. I have also noticed that some Vee fans are quick to label you if you say even the slightest critical thing, especially if you're a Serena fan....

Speaking for myself, I couldn't have been any happier watching Vee win her 30th title- good for her... Whether I'm rooting for Vee or not, I always want her playing her best. If I'm being honest though, sometimes I do feel because I'm a Serena fan that I'm obligated (by some unspoken rule) to root for Venus, which in turn, sometimes makes me root for her opponents...it's kinda hard to explain...

Volcana
Apr 20th, 2004, 02:49 AM
What fucking secret? Of COURSE I want her to lose! Just only to Venus. But lose? Of course. Without her, Venus would more GS titles than Monica by now! (Well, I have no proof of that.)

Kabezya
Apr 26th, 2004, 02:28 AM
Ever since Serena gained her top form and beat Venus in five straight slam finals, Venus fans have been pretty salty. They come with asinine lame ass comments such as "She gave the finals away" and use their relationship as an asinine excuse not to give Serena the respect that she deserves as a player and a professional. Frankly it gets old and lame.

But to be fair, some Venus fans also use that salty attitude towards Venus too. Sad and illogical, but some things can't be explained.

Stefwhit
Apr 26th, 2004, 11:52 PM
What fucking secret? Of COURSE I want her to lose! Just only to Venus. But lose? Of course. Without her, Venus would more GS titles than Monica by now! (Well, I have no proof of that.)
Now you're the kind of fan that I like- you keep it real and don't have any agendas! I can respect that and I know where you stand.

The only "Williams" fans I don't like are the kind that cling to Serena when Venus is doing bad, then forget about her when Vee is doing good (or the kinds of fans that talk down her acheivements when comparing her to big sis). The fans that say I don't care who wins when they play, unless there family I don't get that- but I don't have a problem with that either- just don't understand it....

SJW
Apr 27th, 2004, 02:38 PM
^agreed

hate that too

Black Mamba.
Apr 29th, 2004, 08:05 PM
How is it even possible to like one more than the other, and even if you do how can a fan of one want the other to lose. There in the same family for crying out loud.

Stefwhit
Apr 29th, 2004, 10:49 PM
How is it even possible to like one more than the other, and even if you do how can a fan of one want the other to lose. There in the same family for crying out loud.
yeah but they're two DIFFERENT individuals, with different personalities, different demeanors, different games, and different results... the only thing besides their blood ties they really have in common is their fan base. I think it's harder for me to understand how someone can honestly like them equally. I don't buy into that if you like one you gotta like the other. Serena inspires me, makes me proud, and excites me in ways that Vee never could. I don't dislike Venus but I'd root for Kim, Lindsay, and Myskina if they played her- outside of those players Venus has got my vote... Now when it comes to Serena i can't stomach to see her lose and if I had my wish she would never lose..

lizchris
Apr 30th, 2004, 06:52 PM
Well, I am a Venus fan and want to see Serena do well at tournaments, but I don't want her to beat Venus if they are playing in the same tournaments, especially at tournaments that Venus has yet to win, like the French Open,the AO or the YEC.

Black Mamba.
Apr 30th, 2004, 08:15 PM
With me I'm a big fan of both. I know and respect that they're two different individuals, but on the same hand when they compete I believe it's a win win. If Venus wins it's great and if Serena wins that's great too. They both inspire me because they both show you can succeed no matter what the odds.

silverwhite
May 1st, 2004, 02:04 PM
I am a big fan of both too. Yes, they are different individuals with different personalities and different games, but you've gotta admit that their personalities and games are relatively similar (compared to, say, other players). I mean, they were raised in the same family and taught by the same coaches, so it is pretty inevitable for them to be similar in some ways. Still, I like Serena more, because 1) She has more passion (not that Venus has none) and 2) I like her game more.

Bounty Hunter
May 4th, 2004, 07:05 PM
I'm a fan of both, but I like Serena's game much better. I do believe that some of Venus' fans would love to see Serena lose. But hey, I guess I would be thinking the samething if Venus was beating up on Serena in very GS. So, Go Serena, do what you do best!!!

Knizzle
May 5th, 2004, 06:31 AM
I'm a fan of both and I can think of one Venus fan on this board that would secretly want Serena to lose. There are Venus fans that try to downplay Serena's achievements and Serena fans that use Venus to make Serena look better. Alot of fans pretend to be a fan of both sisters, but when the sisters are compared their true allegiance quickly comes out.

tennisIlove09
May 5th, 2004, 06:37 AM
I never root against Serena, unless she's playing Venus (obviously not going well in that category :) :lol: )

Bounty Hunter
May 5th, 2004, 08:25 PM
Alot of fans pretend to be a fan of both sisters, but when the sisters are compared their true allegiance quickly comes out.

So true!

Stefwhit
May 20th, 2004, 05:58 AM
I think somewhere along the way I got things all mixed up in my head and as a way to show my love for Serena I distanced myself from Venus. I honestly do love Vee and I'm really happy for her when she's playing her best, but I don't make any qualms about it as to which player I truly support. I think for the most part most Vee fans don't have hidden agendas when it comes to Serena, nonetheless there are a few, but I guess that's to be expected.... In either case just let Venus and Serena start meeting up in GS Finals again and it will become crystal clear...lol

Marcus1979
May 20th, 2004, 06:12 AM
I want both to win all the time.

I get emotional when they lose to someone that they aren't related to.

But when Push comes to shove I want Venus to win.

But i don't want a dominace in slams 50/50 will do me.

That would make TRUE williams sisters fans happy.

Sir Stefwhit
Feb 23rd, 2009, 08:48 AM
THIS THREAD HAS BEEN BUMPED FROM OVER 5 YRS. AGO!!

The first post can be confusing since it was so long ago. This was during Miami (2004). This was Serena's first tournament after having knee surgery. Justine took over as number one and everyone was anxious to see how Serena would do now that she was finally back. Venus had already come back to the tour after being off the tour due to a stomach pull- i believe. Venus wasn't doing good after her return. She had a lot of early round losses. Meanwhile here it is Serena winning her first tournament she entered after being out for 8 months.

And look at my signature from the posts above...lol What the hell is Venus doing in there? (I forgot my password so I had to create a new account-"Sir Stefwhit") And I have absolutely no memory of ever being a fan of Golovin...:help:

All this talk of Venus vs. Serena, and the assault of some Vee fans in this forum made me remember this thread. Although after re-reading it I'm not sure why. A little ironic that at that tournament Venus had just played and lost to Dementieva in the SFs. Dementieva then played and lost easily to Serena in the final.

Funny that after so much time so much has changed then again so many things have remained the same. Old threads are sometimes fun to go back and revisit. I still can't believe those names in my siggy..:lol:

Miss Atomic Bomb
Feb 23rd, 2009, 09:00 AM
Ofcourse, there are some who want her to lose to everyone she plays. Its just like anyother typical Serena hater. Mostly because they are jealous and think Serena stole something from Venus when she beat her fair and square in 2002-2003

Vstar
Feb 23rd, 2009, 09:38 AM
my engish isn't good, but this topic is awful:fiery::fiery: i'm VEE's fan and i always supporting serena everytime only when she played venus.in reality i supporte both of them, but vee is different because i first saw her and she made me like tennis.
So i can't hoppe serena lost, she is tallented, funny and kind(she signed me an autograph in paris :)).

BuTtErFrEnA
Feb 23rd, 2009, 12:10 PM
omg stef :rolls: maybe you should have put in federer in the old siggy :hehehe:

but to answer the question, i don't think it's that much of a secret...:lol:

BuTtErFrEnA
Feb 23rd, 2009, 12:11 PM

:eek: this still happens :eek:

"venus loves serena too much and doesn't want her to lose so she let's serena win"...

Noctis
Feb 23rd, 2009, 02:33 PM
TBH Every Venus fans but not Renas fan or Support Venus more want her to lose.

Godis
Feb 23rd, 2009, 03:02 PM
That is not true of me as a fan. I root for both all the time until they play each other and that's when my loyalty splits to Venus. I want both girls to be each others competition.

qqzone
Mar 4th, 2009, 05:50 AM
IN my eyes
i only want serena to win

BuTtErFrEnA
Mar 4th, 2009, 10:37 PM
IN my eyes

you are a wise soul :angel:

VishaalMaria
Mar 4th, 2009, 10:53 PM
I decide who I'd like to win each time they meet.

Stamp Paid
Mar 5th, 2009, 03:26 AM
LOL a lot of times I want Venus to lose
and I make no secret about it

BuTtErFrEnA
Mar 5th, 2009, 11:20 AM

:angel: so much wisdom from our fans....

Bounty Hunter
Mar 19th, 2009, 03:23 PM

:lol:

Me too... :angel:

Ellen Dawson
Mar 21st, 2009, 12:00 PM
Do you think some Venus fans secretly want Serena to lose?

I don't think so. In my experience, the only "negative" thing I get from Venus fans is that they wish that Serena was "humble" in public like the way they perceive Venus to be "humble". I do find the more reserved, low key types of people are Venus fans and the more outgoing and maybe even a little cocky types :o are Serena fans. It's all good, though. :)

Marshmallow
Mar 21st, 2009, 12:33 PM
*SMH*

Anyhow, I can only speak for myself.

No! When Venus loses my next fav is automatically Serena. If Venus wins a slam before Serena in the year (like 2008), I tend to want Serena to win one too (I wanted Rena to win USO - though was divided during their match)and vice versa.

The Witch-king
Mar 21st, 2009, 05:50 PM
THERE WERE PEOPLE SAYING THEY WANTED SERENA TO LOSE AT THE AO AFTER VENUS LOST so the answer to the question is YES... but it's not a secret.

But then a lot of people generally don't like both of them but call themselves Venus fans because it's a sorta "lesser evil" typa thing, which is very pretentious IMO, so maybe those are the types that do root for Serena to lose.

I dunno, for me I just can't imagine rooting against the other. I don't think Serena's success somehow denigrates Venus's and vica versa, though some do.

Although if Venus and Serena play I'll support Venus.

Diesel
Mar 21st, 2009, 08:45 PM
IN my eyes
Beautiful.

BuTtErFrEnA
Mar 21st, 2009, 09:23 PM
*SMH*

Anyhow, I can only speak for myself.

No! When Venus loses my next fav is automatically Serena. If Venus wins a slam before Serena in the year (like 2008), I tend to want Serena to win one too (I wanted Rena to win USO - though was divided during their match)and vice versa.

my husband is back :sobbing:

Ellen Dawson
Mar 22nd, 2009, 02:30 PM
THERE WERE PEOPLE SAYING THEY WANTED SERENA TO LOSE AT THE AO AFTER VENUS LOST so the answer to the question is YES... but it's not a secret.

But then a lot of people generally don't like both of them but call themselves Venus fans because it's a sorta "lesser evil" typa thing, which is very pretentious IMO, so maybe those are the types that do root for Serena to lose.

I dunno, for me I just can't imagine rooting against the other. I don't think Serena's success somehow denigrates Venus's and vica versa, though some do.

Although if Venus and Serena play I'll support Venus.

I don't think it's a "lesser evil" thing. When I see that type of behavior I often think it's either a "want to show I'm liberal" thing OR it's "cool" to like Venus because she's the more Boho, brooding, quiet sister. If you prefer Venus, that's fine but don't favor her JUST BECAUSE you think Serena is arrogant or self-absorbed.

Marshmallow
Mar 23rd, 2009, 01:35 AM
my husband is back :sobbing:

:speakles: Polygamist! :(

BuTtErFrEnA
Mar 23rd, 2009, 04:49 AM
:speakles: Polygamist! :(

i would divorce them all for you :angel:

Denise4925
Apr 16th, 2009, 10:41 PM
Here's one:

http://www.tennisforum.com/showpost.php?p=15438841&postcount=935