View Full Version : Martina N. enters singles

Rollo
Apr 2nd, 2004, 07:26 AM
She's in! Good luck Martina:)

http://jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/040204/spl_15246741.shtml

Early Bausch & Lomb surprise: Navratilova enters singles

By CHET FUSSMAN
The Times-Union

The Bausch & Lomb Championships has added the winningest player in women's tennis history to its singles field.

In a move that surprised tournament officials, Martina Navratilova accepted a wild-card invitation Thursday night to play singles in the clay court event at Amelia Island.

The Bausch & Lomb Championships will be Navratilova's first singles appearance in the U.S. since she retired from singles play in 1994. Navratilova played singles one other time since then -- at a tournament in Eastbourne, England in 2002, after losing a bet with her trainer. Navratilova defeated Tatiana Panova 6-1, 4-6, 6-2 to become the oldest player to win a WTA Tour singles match (45 years, eight months).

Navratilova was scheduled to play doubles at Amelia Island, but her representative phoned tournament officials to say she wanted to enter singles, too, said tournament spokesman Sandy Kavanaugh.

Navratilova won the inaugural Bausch & Lomb (then called the Murjani WTA Championships) in 1980, defeating Hana Mandlikova in three sets. She also won the title in 1984 and 1988.

With 167 career singles titles, Navratilova, 47, is the winningest player in pro tennis history. After retiring from singles, she stayed active by playing doubles, and won seven doubles titles in 2003.

Navratilova will not have an easy road in her comeback attempt. The world's former No. 1 player will not be seeded in next week's event, which begins on Monday.

AaronJoyB
Apr 2nd, 2004, 07:30 AM
oh my god...please!

Mr_Molik
Apr 2nd, 2004, 07:32 AM
go martina :bounce:

per4ever
Apr 2nd, 2004, 07:32 AM
oh I wanna see a Justine vs Martina match :D

Rothes
Apr 2nd, 2004, 07:34 AM
Congrats Martina, make the most of it!!

rfs1999
Apr 2nd, 2004, 07:48 AM
Go Martina!

bionic71
Apr 2nd, 2004, 07:51 AM
fantastic

Gowza
Apr 2nd, 2004, 08:07 AM
i expect her to beat a williams sister in the not to distant future, she has stated that she knowxs how to beat them so i think she should put her money where her mouth is.

Wojtek
Apr 2nd, 2004, 08:10 AM
Go Martina

galadriel
Apr 2nd, 2004, 08:22 AM
Good Luck Martina :d

Brian Stewart
Apr 2nd, 2004, 08:28 AM
Hmm. Maybe ESPN will expand their coverage. (Yeah, fat chance.) Interesting choice, as clay would blunt one of Martina's main weapons for befuddling the current players; her slice. As it's clay, I would expect any of the DE players to beat her. Provided they don't choke.

But I'm sure all of those without byes will be crossing their fingers on draw day. ("Not me not me not me not me...")

spike83
Apr 2nd, 2004, 08:31 AM
i expect her to beat a williams sister in the not to distant future, she has stated that she knowxs how to beat them so i think she should put her money where her mouth is.

woooow Martina knows how to beat them :cool:

the only way to beat them is:

being Clijsters, Henin, Mauresmo (,dementieva :D )

Andy T
Apr 2nd, 2004, 09:37 AM
It's nice for the WTA players championships tournament to have its first ever winner and the most proflific winner in WTA history back for the 25th anniversary tournament. I'm sure she'll lose in straight sets (and she's my #1 all time fave) but that seems almost beside the point. If she were to win a match, that would be fantastic. I'm just happy for her that she's having fun in this final year of full-time tourning and I'm sure that her presence will create added interest and discussion on women's tennis. Good on ya Martina!

esquímaux
Apr 2nd, 2004, 09:38 AM
Give 'em hell Martina :rocker2:

LiliaLee-Frazier
Apr 2nd, 2004, 09:42 AM
Good luck to Martina!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wavey: :bounce:

LiliaLee-Frazier
Apr 2nd, 2004, 09:43 AM
Give 'em hell Martina :rocker2: Hi junkjball cutie! :wavey:

Happy Guy
Apr 2nd, 2004, 09:58 AM
Does this mean Jennifer has rejected the wildcard?

Jakub
Apr 2nd, 2004, 10:00 AM
good luck Martina :)

Andy_
Apr 2nd, 2004, 10:01 AM
Now I'd only wish I could at least have TV coverage for her match...

:worship: Martina, :worship:

Pamela Shriver
Apr 2nd, 2004, 10:12 AM
How could she. Without me. :sad:

New_balls_please
Apr 2nd, 2004, 10:25 AM
good luck Martina!

KV
Apr 2nd, 2004, 10:31 AM
Well come back

tennnisfannn
Apr 2nd, 2004, 10:31 AM
She probably looks at the endless injuries and knows anything can happen. Serena in the finals of a tier 1 after 8mths away says a fair bit about the tour.

fifiricci
Apr 2nd, 2004, 10:58 AM
Sorry, but I think this is a sad, sad decision. Martina needs to get a life ..........

Rtael
Apr 2nd, 2004, 11:06 AM
It's nice for the WTA players championships tournament to have its first ever winner and the most proflific winner in WTA history back for the 25th anniversary tournament. I'm sure she'll lose in straight sets (and she's my #1 all time fave) but that seems almost beside the point. If she were to win a match, that would be fantastic. I'm just happy for her that she's having fun in this final year of full-time tourning and I'm sure that her presence will create added interest and discussion on women's tennis. Good on ya Martina!
Well, you're not much of a fan then, are you?

Gallofa
Apr 2nd, 2004, 11:18 AM
Here's hoping she draws someone interesting :D

jenny161185
Apr 2nd, 2004, 11:18 AM
I just hope Martinas not bageled ! I think she'll be okay though - maybe even an upset?

Dymension
Apr 2nd, 2004, 11:22 AM
:eek:

Good luck Martina :D

esquímaux
Apr 2nd, 2004, 11:32 AM
What a :cuckoo: poster with a :cuckoo: signature :lol: No wonder junior varstity tennis is all you'll ever accomplish :o

venusfan
Apr 2nd, 2004, 11:46 AM
OMG.. This woman just doesn't know when to quit. I think she's very lonely and should just go to a retirement home to spend time with her fellow retirees

Rtael
Apr 2nd, 2004, 12:01 PM
Here's hoping she draws someone interesting :D

We can always hope for Alex.... :o

SelesFan70
Apr 2nd, 2004, 12:03 PM
Martina just recently defeated Seles 6-4, 7-6 at an exhibition. Granted, it was Monica's first match since her long injury and Monica had only gotten out of her foot cast a few weeks prior to the exhibition, but that's still a good win for Martina. I just find it odd that she'd choose clay to play a singles match. Perhaps she feels the slow clay will give her more of a chance to chase a ball down.
:confused:

OUT!
Apr 2nd, 2004, 12:05 PM
Sorry, but I think this is a sad, sad decision. Martina needs to get a life ..........Although I love her game, I have to agree. It's like she hasn't caught on to the fact the women's tennis has moved on. Tracing the old glory days if you ask me.

Janet
Apr 2nd, 2004, 12:15 PM
I guess Martina can't find a job out side tennis............I thought once you retire from a sport that's it no coming back I mean MJ did it put he other reasons to......But luck to Marina anyway.................

anabel
Apr 2nd, 2004, 12:22 PM
:clap2:

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Apr 2nd, 2004, 12:36 PM
Who the hell would have imagined? Incredible!

GO MARTINA :D

Lapin
Apr 2nd, 2004, 12:56 PM
Excellent!! :D Can't wait to see the draw!! ;)

Thanks to Linnie for posting this in another thread:

From the B & L website:

In celebration of the 25th tournament anniversary, a "Parade of Champions" will be held on Tuesday, April 6 just prior to the start of the night matches. Along with defending champion Elena Dementieva, former champions Conchita Martinez, Mary Pierce, Lindsay Davenport, Amélie Mauresmo and Martina Navratilova will be recognized during a special presentation on Stadium Court.

Great that Martina plays in the 25th anniversary of the tournament!! :) Anyway, the tour has been a bit quiet with so many players injured recently, at least Martina playing will be interesting!

ys
Apr 2nd, 2004, 12:59 PM
I know what is happening. She is shooting for singles Olympic spot. "If two of my latest doubles partners could beat a Williams, I can do it too".. :lol:

nash
Apr 2nd, 2004, 01:15 PM
pathetic... :rolleyes:

Ballbuster
Apr 2nd, 2004, 01:16 PM
This woman hurts my eyes.

alfajeffster
Apr 2nd, 2004, 01:24 PM
Martina just recently defeated Seles 6-4, 7-6 at an exhibition. Granted, it was Monica's first match since her long injury and Monica had only gotten out of her foot cast a few weeks prior to the exhibition, but that's still a good win for Martina. I just find it odd that she'd choose clay to play a singles match. Perhaps she feels the slow clay will give her more of a chance to chase a ball down.
:confused:
Martina Navratilova was raised on slow red clay in (then) Czechoslovakia. She won two French Opens and was in the final on 3 other occasions. She has many clay court titles under her belt, and knows how to play on the surface. Unlike most other serve-and-volleyers, she knows how to play from the baseline and construct points. If she doesn't come up against a top 20 player right away, I think she has a chance to win a few matches.

She's in terrific shape, and playing some good ball. Why wouldn't anyone want to welcome the opportunity to see her play singles again?

spike83
Apr 2nd, 2004, 01:31 PM
Navratilova is still good,

against top 100 players she wins for sure
(except, Golovin or Douchevina, and players in top 40)

Andy T
Apr 2nd, 2004, 01:32 PM

Noone loves Martina more than I do but I'm not blinkered enough or stupid enough to lose my perspective. I was when I was 14, but not now.

pualeez
Apr 2nd, 2004, 01:46 PM
I knew she would work her way into the singles one day. Why?

Linnie
Apr 2nd, 2004, 01:47 PM
Woohoo!! Go Martina! :worship:

Experimentee
Apr 2nd, 2004, 02:07 PM
Good luck Martina! :worship:
Clay is an interesting choice for a singles match, it is her worst surface. But I'm sure she knows what shes doing and doesnt mind losing. I hope she draws someone like Alex :D

ys
Apr 2nd, 2004, 02:12 PM
Clay is a good choice for her, in fact. Second only to grass. Grass helps to make points shorter. And clay helps when you lack footspeed.

calabar
Apr 2nd, 2004, 02:12 PM
Whoever plays her will be under tremendous pressure to win. Imaging the shame of losing to someone almost twice your age.

Gallofa
Apr 2nd, 2004, 02:20 PM
Whoever plays her will be under tremendous pressure to win. Imaging the shame of losing to someone almost twice your age.As far as I can tell, that happens quite often on the WTA tour. Just in January, for instance, Lisa Raymond (31) def. Tatiana Golovin (16).

There is absolutely no shame in losing to Martina. She is one, if not the, greatest tennis players of all time. Having said that, I agree with Andy T, she will most likely lose in straight sets, but against a young "in awe" opponent she could win. Maybe. It happened to Panova not two years ago, and almost to a then in very good form Hantuchova.

I expect Martina will take this very seriously, prepare physically and think very carefully about how to win. She's not just going to go out there without a plan, and in these days, with players just going out there with the "hit as hard as you can" plan, Martina's intelligence might give her a nice edge.

Jem
Apr 2nd, 2004, 02:24 PM
Good for Martina. I'd be surprised if she a match here, but the pressure will be on her opponent.

Why all the sour grapes about her participation?

She's done a lot for women's tennis and has been a real asset for the tour in the past couple of years, getting lots of media coverage. Plus, she's won two Grand Slam titles in the process.

If Grand Slams are the be-all, end-all that so many people around here seem to think, then why is it so despicable that she's still playing and winning them at her age. She has a very full life (look at all the causes she supports with her time), but tennis was and probably will always be her greatest love. I think it's great that she continues to enjoy what she loves doing best, as that's not the case for far too many people.

raquel
Apr 2nd, 2004, 02:44 PM
I wish Martina all the best, her comeback in the last couple of years and winning mixed Slams has been an incredible achievement. Her singles win at Eastbourne was not too surprising as she is arguably the greatest grass courter ever but I think the clay will not help Martina. I really hope she does well but would not enjoy watching her being thrashed by Justine or even beaten by someone like Anna Pistolesi who could stay out there all day. I wish her all the best but she would have been better sticking to the doubles I think. Good Luck Martina :)

harloo
Apr 2nd, 2004, 03:05 PM
I think it's embarassing to the tour if Martina wins a few matches. It will show that the women's game have not progressed in years. Martina really needs to hang it up. That's my opinion so don't get upset Nav fanatics.;)

Tratree
Apr 2nd, 2004, 03:17 PM
I have no major problem with Martina playing singles, but I don't like her taking up a wild card to relive her glory days. She might even win a round. However, pity the player. It seems to have sent poor Panova over the edge last year.

Of course, if she takes a wild card that was designated for Alex Stevenson....:angel:

TennisLurker
Apr 2nd, 2004, 03:20 PM
Good luck to Martina!

Warrior
Apr 2nd, 2004, 03:22 PM
Lmao

GoDominique
Apr 2nd, 2004, 03:23 PM
Well, it it's in fact Alex' WC that she will take then I'm all for it. ;)

Of course she can do whatever she wants, but still I only see very few players in the field that are beatable for her. Good luck though.

crazillo
Apr 2nd, 2004, 03:27 PM
I am not sure if it is a good idea. She has nothing to proof, we know how good she is, but I think she can only mae her name worse when she looses to a player except the to-5. Much will depend on her draw!

pav
Apr 2nd, 2004, 05:06 PM
Good luck to Her if She wants to play singles, but please can someone in the vicinity send Her a slightly larger pair of shorts! down with the despicable wedgy shorts I say! just think, if only 1% of young players follow Her and Pratt into this terrible habit,it could cost a country like the U.S.A. at least $250,000 a year in various anal and jock-itch medications! so is ten bucks for a decent pair of shorts too much to ask!

skanky~skanketta
Apr 2nd, 2004, 05:13 PM
better martina than alex.:tape:

alfajeffster
Apr 2nd, 2004, 05:34 PM
Good luck to Her if She wants to play singles, but please can someone in the vicinity send Her a slightly larger pair of shorts! down with the despicable wedgy shorts I say! just think, if only 1% of young players follow Her and Pratt into this terrible habit,it could cost a country like the U.S.A. at least $250,000 a year in various anal and jock-itch medications! so is ten bucks for a decent pair of shorts too much to ask!
:haha:

CJ07
Apr 2nd, 2004, 05:42 PM
Good for you Martina.

I'd be suprised if she didnt win a match or two, or atleast be competitive, unless of course she gets a tough draw.

But I'd LOVE to see her Vs. Serena 2nd round! :lol:
That'd be incredible. Serena would undoubtedly lose the first set out of nerves. Then steam roll something like 4-6 6-0 6-1

LiliaLee-Frazier
Apr 2nd, 2004, 05:43 PM
Whats next MARTINA H enters 2004 french open ?? ;) :p

Andy T
Apr 2nd, 2004, 05:49 PM
Now wouldn't that be something?

bw2082
Apr 2nd, 2004, 06:02 PM

If only... :sad:

KoOlMaNsEaN
Apr 2nd, 2004, 06:03 PM
Wow! I'm very happy she's decided to do this. :woohoo: Go Martina!

Martian KC
Apr 2nd, 2004, 06:08 PM
I think Wimby or US Open would be more inviting.;)

Andy T
Apr 2nd, 2004, 06:40 PM
Next it'll be BJK waddling onto Centre Court at Wimbledon in an enormous white kaftan!

A'DAM
Apr 2nd, 2004, 06:41 PM
You guys are so optymistic about it but I think that shows a weaknes of women game by now when old lady can (Even when she is BIG MARTINA NAVRATILOVA) come to game and actually win matches :eek: :eek: :eek:

Amazing and scarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy :tape: :tape: :tape:

GermanBoy
Apr 2nd, 2004, 06:48 PM
Whoever plays her will be under tremendous pressure to win. Imaging the shame of losing to someone almost twice your age.
That`s right! Last time Panova lost to Martina and is was a very embarrassing loss for her. IMO Martina`s age is not the only factor. She plays doubles, okay, but nevertheless is she a kind of, let`s say, stand by player. She is semi-retired. It`s like losing to a club player.

Just hope noone of my favorite players has to play versus Martina... :o

- L i n a -
Apr 2nd, 2004, 06:50 PM
Martina isn't going to win many singles matches... if any, at all.

Her level has dropped significantly, even from 2002.

Props to her for trying to come back... but I think a failure will be ensuing.

Ryan
Apr 2nd, 2004, 06:53 PM
Hmm, lets see. At 48 she could kick the ass of anyone on this board. She's stated that she's only playing to help her doubles, so why think she's lying? Anyway, she's the best player ever and can do whatever the fuck she wants. Give em hell Martina! :D

i heart backhand
Apr 2nd, 2004, 06:55 PM
At least we got one Martina back... Still waiting on the other.

- L i n a -
Apr 2nd, 2004, 06:55 PM
I always love the "soinso would beat anyone on the board" argument... like it actually means anything.

MLF
Apr 2nd, 2004, 06:58 PM
Sorry, but I think this is a sad, sad decision. Martina needs to get a life ..........

How come? She's doing something she loves, travelling the world, competing at a high level in her sport. She picked up two slam titles last season, is in the top 10 doubles and setting standards for older women in sport. This is her last year - how is it sad? Is it sadder to be out there doing this or sitting at a pc like ourselves writing about it?

Andy T
Apr 2nd, 2004, 07:44 PM
Very good points, Mirjanafan and Ryan16. I just don't get where all this disapproval and censorship is coming from; some of you guys sound like 80-year-old grandmothers (no offence to any grandmothers intended) saying she shouldn't do this, shouldn't do that because she's too old and it's sad, etc. It's like the C19th in reverse! What happened to live and let live, and chill out and give people space to do what they want to do?

ace4lleykim
Apr 2nd, 2004, 07:51 PM
oh I wanna see a Justine vs Martina match :D

Nah, that's impossible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

selesfan1
Apr 2nd, 2004, 07:53 PM
You all say the game has passed her by and stuff like that but obviously she is still winning in doubles and she has beaten players in singles in recent years at a real tournament. You all are just so mean. If she goes out and loses 6-0,6-0 then she should stop but if she wins a few games, even a match why should she not play?

Philip
Apr 2nd, 2004, 08:05 PM
wow go martina :bounce:

CoryAnnAvants#1
Apr 2nd, 2004, 08:32 PM
For those of you who are saying Martina should retire gracefully, I can tell you this much: If Pam Shriver, Tracy Austin, Chris Evert etc could still compete with the women on tour today, they would be out there on a part time scale. They can't do it, Martina can. Simple as that. That's why all the other "legends" have bowed out of the spotlight. Martina is eons better than any of them right now.

Case in point, I saw Martina play Tracy Austin in an exhibition match. Martina absolutely owned Tracy 6-1 6-1 and I can honestly tell you that those two games were charity by Martina.

nikita771
Apr 2nd, 2004, 08:35 PM
I think that it's pretty cool. I really like Martina and think that she is in amazing shape.

callado
Apr 2nd, 2004, 09:05 PM
Well I hope Nav. wears one of those medical alert bracelets in case she falls and can't get up... :lol:

esquímaux
Apr 2nd, 2004, 09:28 PM
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/nm/20040403/mdf515077.jpg

Singles title record holder Martina Navratilova, 47, has been handed a singles' wildcard for next week's Bausch and Lomb Championships at Amelia Island, Florida, the WTA confirmed on April 2, 2004. Navratilova, shown in a doubles match June 1, 2003, played her first singles match as a professional in 1973 and her last in November 1994

:yeah:

arcus
Apr 2nd, 2004, 09:46 PM
I dont understand people saying that its wrong for her to take a wild card.........
She's done more to build womens tennis than just about anyone, except maybe the much maligned BJK.
And she never really reaped the benefits like other grand slam champions cos companys discriminated against her cos she's lesbian. SO if she want s to see how good or bad she is in singles, I say go for it. Good luck martina.......

Sure she'll prob be pounded with her serve nowadays, but so what. Its a great chance for the fans to see a legend.
And if she wins a few matches, its no bad thing. She not a tennis nobody, she's one of the all time greats.

aerosolmajik
Apr 2nd, 2004, 09:50 PM
I hope Martina does well...she is a legend.
She has done alot for the game...not to mention she is a joy to watch.
She's beautiful,graceful and smart!!!!

GO MARTINA!!!!

Billabong
Apr 2nd, 2004, 10:04 PM
:eek:!

Zummi
Apr 2nd, 2004, 11:05 PM
Just to make the haters really mad, she's playing singles in Charleston too :devil:

lee station
Apr 2nd, 2004, 11:25 PM
WOW :eek:

ToeTag
Apr 3rd, 2004, 12:09 AM
Well I hope Nav. wears one of those medical alert bracelets in case she falls and can't get up... :lol:
LMAO :worship:

Kart
Apr 3rd, 2004, 12:31 AM
Good on her for playing.

Still, if she's back on the singles circuit maybe she could have started with the qualifying rounds like everyone else. It's not like she wouldn't get through them easily enough - and that in itself is good practice.

Philbo
Apr 3rd, 2004, 12:35 AM
C'mon Martina!! You are the best there ever will be!!

Panove disapeared off the tour after her loss and went into depression, good to see her making a comeback...

CoryAnnAvants#1
Apr 3rd, 2004, 01:20 AM
C'mon Martina!! You are the best there ever will be!!

Panove disapeared off the tour after her loss and went into depression, good to see her making a comeback...

OK, I don't know who started this bullshit, but Panova did NOT go off tour because of that loss and she wasn't depressed because of it. She got to the 3rd round of Wimbledon the week after that loss and played on tour for almost a full year after. She was off tour for a while because she suffered from a mental illness that made her believe people were following her whereever she went. She took 6 months off, got help for it, and came back in December.

arcus
Apr 3rd, 2004, 01:26 AM
OK, I don't know who started this bullshit, but Panova did NOT go off tour because of that loss and she wasn't depressed because of it. She got to the 3rd round of Wimbledon the week after that loss and played on tour for almost a full year after. She was off tour for a while because she suffered from a mental illness that made her believe people were following her whereever she went. She took 6 months off, got help for it, and came back in December.

yup, panova apparently had some form of psychotic illness. Thats a brain chemistry thing, treastable and just bad luck, nothing to do with any match she played.
Great to see her back on tour. I hope shes successful...

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

hingis-seles
Apr 3rd, 2004, 01:33 AM
GO Martina - The original

fammmmedspin
Apr 3rd, 2004, 01:38 AM
Adds ten years to her record and makes it pretty certain no one will pass it at least until genetic reengineering really gets going..............though didn't she play after 94 - Panova Eastbourne?

lizchris
Apr 3rd, 2004, 03:35 AM
She also accepted a wild card for the Family Circle Cup.

tenn_ace
Apr 3rd, 2004, 03:36 AM
good for Martina! you go girl! :bounce:

MrYonex
Apr 3rd, 2004, 03:53 AM
:bounce: :rocker: :worship: YAY! GO MARTINA! YOU ROCK! :worship: :rocker: :bounce:

Fishnick
Apr 3rd, 2004, 04:38 AM
As far as I can tell, that happens quite often on the WTA tour. Just in January, for instance, Lisa Raymond (31) def. Tatiana Golovin (16).

There is absolutely no shame in losing to Martina. She is one, if not the, greatest tennis players of all time. Having said that, I agree with Andy T, she will most likely lose in straight sets, but against a young "in awe" opponent she could win. Maybe. It happened to Panova not two years ago, and almost to a then in very good form Hantuchova.

I expect Martina will take this very seriously, prepare physically and think very carefully about how to win. She's not just going to go out there without a plan, and in these days, with players just going out there with the "hit as hard as you can" plan, Martina's intelligence might give her a nice edge.

A terrific post :)

I just wanted to add that I noticed most of the negative comments came from posters that are very pro williams. Worried that someone is capable and more deserving of the limelight?

skyrocket
Apr 3rd, 2004, 04:41 AM
This is a great opportunity for Martina. Even if she is old and people say she can't play anymore. It is her life and her decision. I think she will do well. If she doesn't do well, then at least she tried it and was happy. Good luck to all!

Rollo
Apr 3rd, 2004, 05:42 AM
http://wire.jacksonville.com/pstories/sports/tennis/20040402/2037388.shtml

Martina might even enter Wimbledon. That would a 31 year span!:eek:

V.Melb
Apr 3rd, 2004, 05:50 AM
If Nav gets the worst clay player on tour..... Tamarine Tanasugarn...
I think she would definently win a match!

Philbo
Apr 3rd, 2004, 06:02 AM
In all honesty I think I read it in Venus Envy, or maybe on a Wertheim mailbag, but for some reason I think of Wertheim when I try to recall where i read that.. thanks for correcting me if im wrong!, I stand corrected :)

darrinbaker00
Apr 3rd, 2004, 06:37 AM
How could she. Without me. :sad:
Call me crazy, but the fact that you're PREGNANT might have something to do with it..... ;)

brunof
Apr 3rd, 2004, 07:04 AM
Martina can be annoying sometimes - but you have to respect her. So is she planning on playing at least 3 events and getting a rank. Funny thing is I'm sure she could be the next Kristina Brandi of the ITF if she so pleased.

tennisjunky
Apr 3rd, 2004, 08:49 AM
Martina vs. Kuznetsova would be a really fun first round match up. Just think if she plays Golovin that's like Golovin being out on court with her grandmother, quite humorous if you ask me, but good for her.