PDA

View Full Version : screw espn

j_dementieva27
Apr 2nd, 2004, 04:02 AM
they are showing roddick vs. moya AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!! its not bad enough that they showed it IN FULL after serena's match, but they diss elena and nadia, a women's semifinals... to watch it AGAIN

im writing an angry email

lizchris
Apr 2nd, 2004, 04:04 AM
I'll leave this one alone because I know why they did what they did.

Justinefan
Apr 2nd, 2004, 04:04 AM
I already send them an email! They are just stupid over @ espn, only care about Americans,.. Plus ESPN has their heads so far up andy's ass it's ridiculous!

Mase
Apr 2nd, 2004, 04:05 AM
Ok yeah the match wasnt the best between Elena and Petrova but come the fuck on now... They are just ridiculous they really are... atleast show the match and then SOME of Andy's match, just the third set of his match was good enough! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!!!!!!! :fiery:

SelesFan70
Apr 2nd, 2004, 04:07 AM
I'm sending an email as well. They show Agassi or Roddick when they win in straight sets. It's stupid and they need to know about it! :mad:

Havok
Apr 2nd, 2004, 04:10 AM
:yawn: do you actually think Dementieva/Petrova will pull in more viewers??? I for one would rather see the women's semis match, but ESPN is all about mney. welcome to the world of business:wavey:

- L i n a -
Apr 2nd, 2004, 04:11 AM
Does Roddick pull in more viewers? Stats don't say so.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to show the people who Serena is playing in the final.

lizchris
Apr 2nd, 2004, 04:12 AM
:yawn: do you actually think Dementieva/Petrova will pull in more viewers??? I for one would rather see the women's semis match, but ESPN is all about mney. welcome to the world of business:wavey:
Exacrtly.

Elena made a name for herself when beating Venus, but she is no ratings grabber.

Justinefan
Apr 2nd, 2004, 04:12 AM
At 11 o'clock, the only people who are going to be watching are true tennis fans.. Lena vs. Petrova in a semi final, will pull in just as many viewers as Roddick vs moya which has already been played, people watched that live, who wants to see it again! WE WANT LENA!

lizchris
Apr 2nd, 2004, 04:13 AM
Does Roddick pull in more viewers? Stats don't say so.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to show the people who Serena is playing in the final.
If it were Serena's sister (Venus), we'd be watching the women's semi right now.

- L i n a -
Apr 2nd, 2004, 04:14 AM
Also, ESPN goes on about how Americans don't "warm up" to foreign players...

Need I go on?

goldenlox
Apr 2nd, 2004, 04:15 AM
All Russian semifinals are going to force ESPN to show ATP. That's okay with me.
Keep those all Russian semis coming.

Havok
Apr 2nd, 2004, 04:16 AM
At 11 o'clock, the only people who are going to be watching are true tennis fans.. Lena vs. Petrova in a semi final, will pull in just as many viewers as Roddick vs moya which has already been played, people watched that live, who wants to see it again! WE WANT LENA!what about insomniacs:scared:

lizchris
Apr 2nd, 2004, 04:17 AM
At 11 o'clock, the only people who are going to be watching are true tennis fans.. Lena vs. Petrova in a semi final, will pull in just as many viewers as Roddick vs moya which has already been played, people watched that live, who wants to see it again! WE WANT LENA!
You won't be seeing the other women's semi because the Bottom Line showed the score previously and that means they have no plans of showing it.

Your only chance of seeing it is if one of the men can't play their semifinal tomorrow.

Justinefan
Apr 2nd, 2004, 04:18 AM
You won't be seeing the other women's semi because the Bottom Line showed the score previously and that means they have no plans of showing it.

Your only chance of seeing it is if one of the men can't play their semifinal tomorrow.
Thanks, i'm not stupid, I know they aren't showing it, it's not on the schedule.. I was saying why they SHOULD show the other one.

Havok
oh and another thing, do take notice how none of the night matches are even shown in full on tv. so don't start bitching now towards the end of the tournament :tape:

Justinefan
what about insomniacs:scared:
lol, i doubt to many insomniacs watch tennis, plus 11 isn't late.. how many people care to see roddick play again after they watched it a few hours ago..

SpikeyAidanm
Apr 2nd, 2004, 04:19 AM
j_dementieva :wavey:

I feel soz for u, women's tennis will never get the attention it deserves, unfortunately we havent had any tennis tournies on free-to-air TV after the Aussie Open :(

- L i n a -
Not necessarily true...

It's only 8pm on the west coast.

Justinefan
oh and another thing, do take notice how none of the night matches are even shown in full on tv. so don't start bitching now towards the end of the tournament :tape:
I've been at the tournament all week, so no i haven't noticed.. and we can bitch all we want.

Justinefan
Apr 2nd, 2004, 04:20 AM
Not necessarily true...

It's only 8pm on the west coast.
yeah well do you have any interest in watching a match played again?? If they showed a show at four, and then showed the exact same one again later that nite, howmany people would repeat? no matter what time zone..

- L i n a -
Apr 2nd, 2004, 04:21 AM
I'm just making the point that not only insomniacs are watching. :wavey:

And no... I definitely am not watching this match. Watching Carlos choke was painful enough the 1st time.

lizchris
Thanks, i'm not stupid, I know they aren't showing it, it's not on the schedule.. I was saying why they SHOULD show the other one.
They should because they advertised on the ESPN website all day that they would and it isn't really fair to Elena or Nadia's fans in the US not to show it. Now last year was a different story, mainly because three Americans werein the semis and one of them upset a top player (Chanda beat Justine).

Justinefan
I'm just making the point that not only insomniacs are watching. :wavey:

And no... I definitely am not watching this match. Watching Carlos choke was painful enough the 1st time.
lol exactly! :wavey:

tennisIlove09
Apr 2nd, 2004, 04:31 AM
Let's review:

Andy Roddick....the most popular male in American tennis (very close with Agassi since he won the US Open) or two Russian females, that most Americans have never heard of.

Hmmm, if I'm ESPN, I'm showing Roddick.

- L i n a -
Apr 2nd, 2004, 04:32 AM
So... get Americans to hear of them...

Nadya, I can understand, because she's pretty ugly... but Dementieva is smokin', and she'd be quality jerk off material for the common US male tennis fan.

Ted of Teds Tennis
Apr 2nd, 2004, 04:34 AM
But part of the reason for the disparity in popularity is that ESPN can't be bothered to show the other players.

ESPN did the same thing last year at TMS Montreal, when they censored the semifinal between two GS finalists (Nalbandian and Schüttler) to replay A-Dick who at that time had yet to reach a GS final.

tennisIlove09
Apr 2nd, 2004, 04:35 AM
So... get Americans to hear of them...

Nadya, I can understand, because she's pretty ugly... but Dementieva is smokin', and she'd be quality jerk off material for the common US male tennis fan.
Yes, but the chances of Dementieva suddenly becoming a ESPN regular are slim to none. Just because she's had a run in Miami, doesn't mean ESPN will start showing all of her matches at Amelia Island, or Paris, or London.

- L i n a -
Apr 2nd, 2004, 04:42 AM
Even if Dementieva becomes #1, she wouldn't be an ESPN regular with how they run things.

tennisIlove09
Apr 2nd, 2004, 04:45 AM
Even if Dementieva becomes #1, she wouldn't be an ESPN regular with how they run things.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't know. Hingis got lots of ESPN time, as do Kim and Juju

- L i n a -
Apr 2nd, 2004, 04:53 AM
Only if ESPN is forced to show them.

We weren't planned to see a bit of the Belgians' early round matches at Aussie Open.

tennisIlove09
Apr 2nd, 2004, 04:55 AM
But again, I think it's all about star quality. The Belgians, despite being #1/#2 for what, 6, 7 months now don't have the star quality that Hingis had before them. That's a big deal in North America, for some odd reason.

And we do see a lot of early rounds at the majors...especially when 1 or both of the sisters are out.

Mrs. Peel
Apr 2nd, 2004, 05:41 AM
I was a little irritated that they reneged on the Women's tennis but then I saw Moya and then :drool: ..all was well :drool:

harloo
Apr 2nd, 2004, 05:50 AM
Demented and Petrova just cannot generate any buzz. Sesil had to act unladylike to get ESPN's attention claiming she was going to beat Sharapova's behind. Until it's some type of buzz, expect ESPN to replay Agassi and Roddick.

ESPN only showed Serena mainly(which I don't have a problem with), but they did not show Venus either until she lost and they repeated it 2 more times. I was mad because I tivo all tennis matches just in case I miss something, I did not want to see Venus losing 3 times, I wanted to see some other matches in the mens/womens fields.:rolleyes:

ys
Apr 2nd, 2004, 05:56 AM
In a way I am glad that they showed Roddick today. because the only the way they wold not show Roddick would be if Venus had beaten Elena yesterday.. Then it would have been Venus-Nadya on ESPN tonight.. I am glad it is Roddick.. It's all good.