PDA

View Full Version : 2004 Nasdaq-100 Women's Final: Dementieva vs. Williams

Pages : [1] 2

lizchris
Apr 2nd, 2004, 12:41 AM
(1)Serena Williams vs. (5)Elena Dementieva
There isn't really much to say; the two-time defending champion who is coming back from an injury and playing well against somenoe who played well enough to get to the final. If Eleni Daniilidou's statements about Serena's serve are any indication and knowing how Serena is going to pounce on Elena's soft second serves, Seren will be the champion.
Prediction: Sernea in striaght sets, possibly 6-3. 6-3 or 6-2

Justinefan
Apr 2nd, 2004, 12:42 AM
I predict Dementieva in three. She has to know Serena is going to jump on those second serves more than Venus. So if she plays it smart, she'll be good to go. Good luck Lena! Fight hard!

ys
Apr 2nd, 2004, 12:42 AM
Elena in straight sets. 6:2, 6:4. Serena is nowhere near Top 10 form yet.

jay_k
Apr 2nd, 2004, 12:43 AM
Methinks this could go to three but Serena should pull it out. Elena played GREAT today

ys
Apr 2nd, 2004, 12:44 AM
I predict Dementieva in three. She has to know Serena is going to jump on those second serves more than Venus.
It is very difficult to jump on those second serves if your footwork is not there. Serena will try to jump on those serves. She will be netting and overhitting good half of them.

lizchris
Apr 2nd, 2004, 12:44 AM
Elena in straight sets. 6:2, 6:4. Serena is nowhere near Top 10 form yet.Funny, she is in form enough to get to a final in her first match back from a serious injury. In fact, she was winning titles while she was injured and though their only meeting was on grass, Serena beat her in straight sets and again, she had a bum knee.

ys
Apr 2nd, 2004, 12:45 AM
Funny, she is form enough to get to a final in her first match back from a serious injury. In fact, she was winning titles while she was injured and though their only meeting was on grass, Serena beat her in straight sets and again, she had a bum knee.
And whom did she beat to get there? A bunch of low ranked headcases?

Bezz
Apr 2nd, 2004, 12:45 AM
I think dementieva if it goes 3 sets, or serena in straight 6-4 7-5. :cool:

Cybelle Darkholme
Apr 2nd, 2004, 12:46 AM
Elena in straight sets. 6:2, 6:4. Serena is nowhere near Top 10 form yet.
um didnt you predict nadia to win the whole thing???:tape:

lizchris
Apr 2nd, 2004, 12:46 AM
So did Justine two weeks ago, but I don't remember seeing you saying anything about that. And she wasn't coming back from an injury.:rolleyes:

Cybelle Darkholme
Apr 2nd, 2004, 12:47 AM
so now serena just has to deal with a higher ranked head case.

lizchris
Apr 2nd, 2004, 12:48 AM
with a horrible second serve and who forgot how to come to net!

ys
Apr 2nd, 2004, 12:50 AM
Used to be. Now Elena got probably the best coach in the world and it seems to work wonders for her. That seems to be the key to her success. Her tactical planning for recent matches was impeccable, which has never been the case before. She is winning those matches and she is really starting to believe in herself. I am really getting excited.

ys
Apr 2nd, 2004, 12:51 AM
So did Justine two weeks ago, but I don't remember seeing you saying anything about that. And she wasn't coming back from an injury.:rolleyes:
Justine beat two Top 10 players. And coming back from an injury is not exactly going to help on Saturday. Elena got a shot at Willams double that nobody is probably going to ever have again.:bounce:

lizchris
Apr 2nd, 2004, 12:52 AM
She will have to overcome these odds:

Aranxta Sanchez is the only person who has beaten both Williams sisters en route to a tourament win (Kim doesn't count as one of her wins was a retirement)

No Russian in recent memory has come close to winning a Tier I title outside of Moscow.

lizchris
Apr 2nd, 2004, 12:55 AM
Justine beat two Top 10 players. And coming back from an injury is not exactly going to help on Saturday. Elena got a shot at Willams double that nobody is probably going to ever have again.:bounce:
Funny; it has helped so far.

The fact is Elena can do the same thing as Sernea, but Serena does it about two times better, injured or not. If Elena was the player Serena is, which she is not, she would have have at least one Grand Slam trophy and at leat a Tier I title, which she does not.

Rub
Apr 2nd, 2004, 12:56 AM
i guess it's hard to say who will win!

ys
Apr 2nd, 2004, 12:56 AM
um didnt you predict nadia to win the whole thing???:tape:
I said it was possible. Admittedly, courtesy of ESPN, I haven't seen Nadya play at this tournament, so I had to judge by the scores and stats.

And I saw Elena and Serena just today. Elena, undoubtedly, is hitting the better and bigger ball. Not the best at this tournament - I think that the best tennis of this tournament was what Venus played between 5:4 and 3:0 against Dementieva - but way better that Serena. Serena nearly broke her leg today chasing the soft balls from slow ED. On Saturday she will have to face the biggest groundstrokes of current Tour and the one of the fastest players.

jay_k
Apr 2nd, 2004, 12:58 AM
On Saturday she will have to face the biggest groundstrokes of current Tour and the one of the fastest players.
You mean ED hits the ball harder than Venus and that she is faster than Kim C. :confused:

Justinefan
Apr 2nd, 2004, 12:59 AM
It's pathetic that people can't state their opinion without having it torn apart, if you want to say why you think your prediction is better fine, but why do you have to say someone else is wrong?
i think lizchris has posted more threads since serena has come back, than his/her entire time on the board.

ys
Apr 2nd, 2004, 01:00 AM
You mean ED hits the ball harder than Venus
That's what announcers were saying during their match yesterday for most of the match ( except for brief period from the end of the second to the middle of the third set ) basing that on that shotspot technology measuring the speed.
and that she is faster than Kim C. :confused:
I said "one of", didn't I?

vettipooh
Apr 2nd, 2004, 01:01 AM
And whom did she beat to get there? A bunch of low ranked headcases? No. an embarrasing bunch of ranked players who CANNOT beat her, even after an eight month absence!!!!! :rolleyes:

j_dementieva27
Apr 2nd, 2004, 01:01 AM
dementieva in three... should be the a GREAT match though

alextreiber04
Apr 2nd, 2004, 01:04 AM
Serena in 2. 6-1 6-3. And no I'm not being too optimistic, I'm still surprised Dementieva didn't lose to Dragomir-Illie.

lizchris
Apr 2nd, 2004, 01:04 AM
It's pathetic that people can't state their opinion without having it torn apart, if you want to say why you think your prediction is better fine, but why do you have to say someone else is wrong?
i think lizchris has posted more threads since serena has come back, than his/her entire time on the board.Who said anyone else was wrong?

These are the facts regarding Serena and Elena:

Serena is the two time defending champion
Elena has yet to win a Tier I championship, though she and Sernea are the same age (Serena BTW, has five Tier I titles so far)
Serena has beaten Elena before
Serena's game is more technically sound than Elena's

So that is why I (and some others) think Serena is the favorite to win. Sorry you don't like my opinion and that I am staing facts that don't favor Elena, but it is what it is; the truth.

BTW, I have been on the this board since 2002 and have posted here more time than since Serena came back,

Leo_DFP
Apr 2nd, 2004, 01:06 AM

Aranxta Sanchez is the only person who has beaten both Williams sisters en route to a tourament win (Kim doesn't count as one of her wins was a retirement)

No Russian in recent memory has come close to winning a Tier I title outside of Moscow.
Do you think these old stats hold any significance whatsover?

I think the match will most definitely go three sets, and it'll come down to who can hold their nerve. Dementieva has definitely showed some strong stuff in the mental department with her past two wins, particularly the 7-6 in the 3rd one against Venus, but, still, she's Elena and not the best closer. Meanwhile Serena is clearly not mentally strong at this point in her comeback. I expect many momentum shifts and probably some choking from both.

alextreiber04
Apr 2nd, 2004, 01:07 AM
Their head-to-head says it all. Serena to steam roll:

4 Wimbledon July 6 2003 S Williams(1) - E Dementieva(15) 6-2 6-2

Leo_DFP
Apr 2nd, 2004, 01:07 AM
You mean ED hits the ball harder than Venus and that she is faster than Kim C. :confused:
She hit the ball harder than Venus for most of their quarterfinal, according to ESPN's Shot Spot.

Justinefan
Apr 2nd, 2004, 01:08 AM
Who said anyone else was wrong?

These are the facts regarding Serena and Elena:

Serena is the two time defending champion
Elena has yet to win a Tier I championship, though she and Sernea are the same age (Serena BTW, has five Tier I titles so far)
Serena has beaten Elena before
Serena's game is more technically sound than Elena's

So that is why I (and some others) think Serena is the favorite to win. Sorry you don't like my opinion and that I am staing facts that don't favor Elena, but it is what it is; the truth.

BTW, I have been on the this board since 2001 or 2002 and have posted here more time than since Serena came back,

Good fore you being on this board so long, i would think you'd be able to pick up on exaggerations, but maybe not. that is fine that you are stating facts, that's what you s hould be doing, but others are saying no way elena will win, they said the same thi ng with venus, sometimes it's not always about the facts. but you stating them is much better than others just saying no way b/c serena is better..,. which isn't logic..

ys
But I would say that out of all possibilities Nasdaq-100 has probably gotten the best possible final matchup.

lizchris
Do you think these old stats hold any significance whatsover?

I think the match will most definitely go three sets, and it'll come down to who can hold their nerve. Dementieva has definitely showed some strong stuff in the mental department with her past two wins, particularly the 7-6 in the 3rd one against Venus, but, still, she's Elena and not the best closer. Meanwhile Serena is clearly not mentally strong at this point in her comeback. I expect many momentum shifts and probably some choking from both.
Why don't you look at the other stats I posted; never mind, they don't mean much.:rolleyes:

ys
Apr 2nd, 2004, 01:09 AM
Their head-to-head says it all. Serena to steam roll:

4 Wimbledon July 6 2003 S Williams(1) - E Dementieva(15) 6-2 6-2
Go check head-2-head Dementieva-Petrova, Dementieva-Dokic and Dementieva-Venus. that's a good omen.. :)

lizchris
Apr 2nd, 2004, 01:10 AM
Most of them being sad and pathetic.
Yeah, that's why you are posting here instead of starting your own thread if this one is so sad.:rolleyes:

Leo_DFP
Why don't you look at the other stats I posted; never mind, they don't mean much.:rolleyes:
You're right, they don't.

Justinefan
stats really haven't meant much in this tournament so far..

alextreiber04
Apr 2nd, 2004, 01:11 AM
Sigh. It's too bad, I was looking forward to see the over-hyped Russian fall off the rankings after Amelia Island, now she'll just move to the 10 to 9 area. But it'll be all good when she falls farther after Bali and Shanghai. Either way Serena is going to steam roll whether you like it or not. You can't compare Venus with Serena (no offence to Venus fans) but Serena is currently a lot better.

lizchris
Apr 2nd, 2004, 01:12 AM
Go check head-2-head Dementieva-Petrova, Dementieva-Dokic and Dementieva-Venus. that's a good omen.. :)
She might have won her first WTA match against Venus yesterday but Venus still has something she doesn't; three titles from this event.

Justinefan
Apr 2nd, 2004, 01:14 AM
She might have won her first WTA match against Venus yesterday but Venus still has something she doesn't; three titles from this event.
what does that have to do with anything?? All ys was saying is that, Dementieva has a losing record against all three of those players, which she beat this week.. there for he is just stating a "fact" that jsut b/c she has a losing record against serena, doesn't mean a thing.. Elenas serve may be a disaster, but the girl has got a great groundstroke game.. you can't deny that.

jbone_0307
Apr 2nd, 2004, 01:15 AM
If Serena's serve is on, she wont have to be doing much running and Serena is determined because this girl beat her sister. I think Serena will win easily 6-2 6-2

lizchris
Apr 2nd, 2004, 01:17 AM
what does that have to do with anything?? All ys was saying is that, Dementieva has a losing record against all three of those players, which she beat this week.. there for he is just stating a "fact" that jsut b/c she has a losing record against serena, doesn't mean a thing.. Elenas serve may be a disaster, but the girl has got a great groundstroke game.. you can't deny that.I didn't say that; I just said that she can match Serena, but Serena can do what she does two times better.

BTW, I just saw an article that says that when she was playing Venus, she was serving at 63 MPH sometimes. If she serves likes that on Saturday, they are going to come back at her almost twice as fast.

Justinefan
Apr 2nd, 2004, 01:20 AM
She was all over the place, from 104 to 63.. Actually i think the serve she won the match with was 58.. Some people can't handle that pace, it'll be interesting to see how serena handles that. Everyone knows Serena thrives off of power. She had a hard time with Eleni's backhand slice today, so w/out pace, who knows..

alextreiber04
Apr 2nd, 2004, 01:23 AM
Sigh. The same people who said Serena would lose to each and every opponent every round are predicting Elena to win. Watch Elena get destroyed, and when she does I'll laugh at all of you. :)

Justinefan
Apr 2nd, 2004, 01:27 AM
i'm predicting Elena to win, but I thought Serena would make it to the finals, i thought eleni would be the only person that might beat her, and she did give her a little trouble

lizchris
Apr 2nd, 2004, 01:27 AM
Sigh. The same people who said Serena would lose to each and every opponent every round are predicting Elena to win. Watch Elena get destroyed, and when she does I'll laugh at all of you. :)
I'm not saying she will get destroyed, but I dont think she will be able to handle a 110MPH-116MPH serve from Serena consistently if she is going to win the match.

Mase
Apr 2nd, 2004, 01:28 AM
Go Elena!!!!! :bounce:

Justinefan
Apr 2nd, 2004, 01:28 AM
She can handle the serve speed, she just can't dish it out..

Scotso
Apr 2nd, 2004, 01:29 AM
Good luck Elena :worship:

Hantuchov
I think Alyona will win. Serena cant move that well yet, and she's going for the shot so early in the points, that's why she commited many UE's. And Alyona's is just keeping the ball inside, annoying their opponents. I really doubt if Serena will be patient to play long points with Alyona. Alyona 2nd serve is very slow, but I can see a little improvement since last year. And she's hitting hard and deep, and cuting down the UE's from match to match. But if Serena would be a great day, serving very well, things will be sooo complicated to Alyona, cuz she wont have any chance to play long points and wait for Serena's errors. Even though, I still think Alyona will take the title cuz of her confidence, in 3 sets.

Goooooo Alyona! :hearts:
Take this title baby! :bounce:

maximus82
The head to head is one match...hardly convincing, especially since that match was on grass...where Serena is pretty much undisputed tops the past years and dementieva's least favorite surface.

I haven't predicted Serena to lose once yet this tournament, but will say that she faces her first real risk against Elena...especially since big D has won 2 matches now that most thought she would lose. It'll depend on who shows up on Saturday...if it's the Elena that beat Venus vs. the Serena that played Daniilidou today, I actually think I'd have to favor Elena.

lizchris
Apr 2nd, 2004, 01:30 AM
She can handle the serve speed, she just can't dish it out..
I'd like to see her try to return one.

Also, since everyone is harping on Serena not playing a top ten player, what top ten player has Elena played this year and beat?

Cybelle Darkholme
Apr 2nd, 2004, 01:30 AM
Used to be. Now Elena got probably the best coach in the world and it seems to work wonders for her. That seems to be the key to her success. Her tactical planning for recent matches was impeccable, which has never been the case before. She is winning those matches and she is really starting to believe in herself. I am really getting excited.
so if she loses then what....

Justinefan
Apr 2nd, 2004, 01:32 AM
so if she loses then what....
What's your point? people lose..

Hantuchov
Apr 2nd, 2004, 01:32 AM
I'm not saying she will get destroyed, but I dont think she will be able to handle a 110MPH-116MPH serve from Serena consistently if she is going to win the match.

Yes, she can. She had excelent returns today, and Petrova also has a powerful serve, just like Serena. Even when the 1st serve faulted, which are more powerful, Alyona was returning inside. Nadia couldnt take many service winners. And remember, Serena can punish Alyona 2nd serve, but she Alyona can move muuuuuuch better than Serena, and that's what will make the difference in this match.

Hantuchov
Apr 2nd, 2004, 01:33 AM

No, thank you! ;)

I prefer to watch Chanda Rubin being destroyed by Elena Dementieva, mm...3 times last year, right? :drool: :wavey:

ys
Apr 2nd, 2004, 01:34 AM
Check Petrova's serving stats. She serves bigger than Serena. And Elena handled it, no problem.

Justinefan
Apr 2nd, 2004, 01:36 AM

Also, since everyone is harping on Serena not playing a top ten player, what top ten player has Elena played this year and beat?
Sorry but whoever says serena is not a top 10 player is lying.. She may not be in her top form, but she is definitely worthy of being the top seed at this tournament. People who say Lena doesn't deserve to be in the top 10 are wrong as well. She is in there and her serve sucks, imagine her with a good serve.. and you will see her return one tomorrow.. Petrova serves just as big and elena had no problem taking her down.

lizchris
Apr 2nd, 2004, 01:36 AM
Yes, she can. She had excelent returns today, and Petrova also has a powerful serve, just like Serena. Even when the 1st serve faulted, which are more powerful, Alyona was returning inside. Nadia couldnt take many service winners. And remember, Serena can punish Alyona 2nd serve, but she Alyona can move muuuuuuch better than Serena, and that's what will make the difference in this match.
Nadia serving and Serena serving are two very different things, considering Serena hasn't dobule fault that much in this tournametn as opposed to Elena.

BTW, if Elena can move better than Serena, how come Serena has been coming to net more than her?

Justinefan
Apr 2nd, 2004, 01:38 AM
Nadia serving and Serena serving are two very different things, considering Serena hasn't dobule fault that much in this tournametn as opposed to Elena.

BTW, if Elena can move better than Serena, how come Serena has been coming to net more than her?

B/c Elena's a baseliner..and their serving isn't so different, and Elena is used to double faulting, it really doesn't bother her. She fights extra hard b/c she knows she can't serve. It's not like she goes into these matches thinking, i have a great serve, i can depend on that. She has made it to the final despite her serving.. so I don't think that will be a problem.

lizchris
Check Petrova's serving stats. She serves bigger than Serena. And Elena handled it, no problem.
Nadia's many UE's helped the situation too, somehting Elena may not be able to depend on when playing Serena.

fammmmedspin
Speed isn't everything and Serena is faster at her fastest than Petrova but Petrova's serving stats and her fastest serve are near Serenas and Petrova's average serve speed is higher this week.

Hantuchov
Apr 2nd, 2004, 01:40 AM

That's what I said in another thread. Serena is completely rusty, she doesnt have much flexibility on her knee, even in the serves. She goes more to the net to make the points shorter, see? And if you follow Alyona in the circuit, you must know that she hardly ever goes to the net, she has excelent groundstrokes and she doesnt need that to take the points.

shaoyu
Apr 2nd, 2004, 01:41 AM

Well, She handled Venus and Nadia's serves pretty well, and that's two big servers in women's game, so I guess you never know. Plus Serena seems not regained her form of last year, but Elena's ground game has improved a lot. So ... I don't want to make predictions, it certainly would be an interesting final.

lizchris
B/c Elena's a baseliner..and their serving isn't so different, and Elena is used to double faulting, it really doesn't bother her. She fights extra hard b/c she knows she can't serve. It's not like she goes into these matches thinking, i have a great serve, i can depend on that. She has made it to the final despite her serving.. so I don't think that will be a problem.
That's why I think Serena will win; Serena doens't have to fight that hard because her game is more technically sound.

tennisIlove09
Serena will win, but for the sake of Venus I hope Dementieva can win or at least make it close.

Justinefan
Nadia's many UE's helped the situation too, somehting Elena may not be able to depend on when playing Serena.
I dunno, I think she'll be able to depend on Serena's ue

Hantuchov
Apr 2nd, 2004, 01:42 AM

Helped cuz Alyona wasnt commiting UE's, she was just keeping the ball inside the court. And it annoys every player, specially the hard hitters, who go to the winners in the 2nd or in the 3rd ball. We know Serena isnt thaaat patient.

Both players have good chances to win, I think it's best time to Alyona defeat Serena for the 1st time. But let's see if she will feel the pressure or not.

ys
Someone explain me this logics please..:confused:

Sure. And that means that the best mover ever in the game was Natalie Tauziat. And the worst one was Steffi. She almost never did that.

And never let them call you "intellectually challenged", dear..

Leo_DFP
I didn't say that; I just said that she can match Serena, but Serena can do what she does two times better.

BTW, I just saw an article that says that when she was playing Venus, she was serving at 63 MPH sometimes. If she serves likes that on Saturday, they are going to come back at her almost twice as fast.:rolleyes: Serena's returns rarely go above 85 MPH. I don't care how slow the serve is. Anyway, Dementieva's got extraordinary returning ability of her own; she was smacking clean forehand winners off of Vee's first serves two days ago.

Serena may be the favorite, but I definitely don't think anyone can logically say she's going to win 100%, nor do I think it's likely for it to be one-sided.

lizchris
Apr 2nd, 2004, 01:43 AM
That's what I said in another thread. Serena is completely rusty, she doesnt have much flexibility on her knee, even in the serves. She goes more to the net to make the points shorter, see? And if you follow Alyona in the circuit, you must know that she hardly ever goes to the net, she has excelent groundstrokes and she doesnt need that to take the points.
That would explain why she hasn't done much as a doubles player either.

Sam L
Apr 2nd, 2004, 01:44 AM
Come on Elena!!! :clap2:

lizchris
Apr 2nd, 2004, 01:45 AM

Sure. And that means that the best mover ever in the game was Natalie Tauziat. And the worst one was Steffi. She almost never did that.

You can call me all the names you want. I still say Serena is the favorite. It's a good thing she didn't have to wait unitl she was in her 20's to acutally play in a big match like this.:rolleyes:

Justinefan
Apr 2nd, 2004, 01:46 AM
Did someone say she did??:confused:

Justinefan
Apr 2nd, 2004, 01:46 AM
You can call me all the names you want. I still say Serena is the favorite. It's a good thing she didn't have to wait unitl she was in her 20's to acutally play in a big match like this.:rolleyes:
What's the point of insulting other players? What happened to you using logic?

lizchris
Apr 2nd, 2004, 01:48 AM
Helped cuz Alyona wasnt commiting UE's, she was just keeping the ball inside the court. And it annoys every player, specially the hard hitters, who go to the winners in the 2nd or in the 3rd ball. We know Serena isnt thaaat patient.

Both players have good chances to win, I think it's best time to Alyona defeat Serena for the 1st time. But let's see if she will feel the pressure or not.
Both will feel the pressure, but she will feel it mroe, Rusty or injured or not, Serena has played many Tier I finals before and won them six times (I forgot abotu her win in Canada in 2001), but I know that doesn't mean anything.

Hantuchov
Apr 2nd, 2004, 01:48 AM

Alyona had good results in doubles. Her volley is ok, but nothing :eek:. It's easier to make a volley when you are already in the net than coming from the baseline to make it, cuz sometimes you cant expect where the ball will be hit.

lizchris
Apr 2nd, 2004, 01:49 AM
What's the point of insulting other players? What happened to you using logic?
Because I know that get under people's skin more than insulting them personally.

Matthew_Laker
Apr 2nd, 2004, 01:49 AM
Serena 6-0 6-1 ;)

Justinefan
Apr 2nd, 2004, 01:50 AM
yeah and why would you want to get under people's skin... that's really mature.

LindsayRocks89
I think it will be a fight, but Serena will win it :)

Leo_DFP
Actually she has. She's had very successful partnerships with Husarova and (currently) Krasnorouytskaya. Check her stats and you'd know that.

lizchris
Apr 2nd, 2004, 01:52 AM
yeah and why would you want to get under people's skin... that's really mature.
You might want to direct that to your friend ys.

Hantuchov
Apr 2nd, 2004, 01:52 AM
Both will feel the pressure, but she will feel it mroe, Rusty or injured or not, Serena has played many Tier I finals before and won them six times (I forgot abotu her win in Canada in 2001), but I know that doesn't mean anything.

Yes, both will feel the pressure, but because of different reasons. But Serena looked much more nervous in her match today than Alyona, I never saw Serena celebrating so much the points, it wasnt thaat common before her injury. Alyona is cold, she doesnt show, through her face and body expressions, if she's nervous or not. She hardly ever celebrates a point. But you can know if she is nervous or not, just take a look at her serve, if she would start to fault a lot, you can 100% sure say that's she's really nervous. I hope she wont feel like this on Saturday :D

lizchris
Apr 2nd, 2004, 01:55 AM
Actually she has. She's had very successful partnerships with Husarova and (currently) Krasnorouytskaya. Check her stats and you'd know that.
I know that Venus and Serena, who are not considered good doubles players have 10 doubles titles, 6 Grand Slams, 3 WTA (two at Tier I events, I think) and a Gold Medal at the 2000 Olympics.

Does Elena have that?

Hantuchov
Apr 2nd, 2004, 01:57 AM
I know that Venus and Serena, who are not considered good doubles players have 10 doubles titles, 6 Grand Slams, 3 WTA (two at Tier I events, I think) and a Gold Medal at the 2000 Olympics.

Does Elena have that?

She doesnt have, but Alyona could beat Venus with her "poor" doubles results :tape: :tape:

lizchris
Apr 2nd, 2004, 01:59 AM
She doesnt have, but Alyona could beat Venus with her "poor" doubles results :tape: :tape:
I wish she had beater Venus at:

The US Open (had she gotten to the final)
The 2000 Olympics
The other times Venus beat her

Then we would know that the better player was Elena:lol: :lol:

Leo_DFP
Apr 2nd, 2004, 02:01 AM
It sure doesn't in this situation considering Serena's lack of match play and lack of actual challenge/competition this week. She hasn't been in a pressure situation in 8 months. It's only been two days for Dementieva. Plus, Serena is not yet at that level she was in 2002/2003.

shaoyu
Apr 2nd, 2004, 02:01 AM

Thanks for your previous many sound assessment of two players' game. I also noticed from the Venus match that Elena has a great ability to punch hard and DEEP back to Venus, she was amazingly consistent at doing that, which denied Venus of much chances of hitting winners. This tactic can work in the final too. Plus both Williamses are known to have those fragile moments hitting ugly UEs, so even though Serena has her serve as a huge weapon, the outcome is still far from clear.

I would like to see more educated analysis of players' current game like yours, rather than always digging out old match results to predict the present.

:bounce: :wavey:

Sam L
Apr 2nd, 2004, 02:03 AM

ys!!! :clap2:

lizchris
Apr 2nd, 2004, 02:04 AM
It sure doesn't in this situation considering Serena's lack of match play and lack of actual challenge/competition this week. She hasn't been in a pressure situation in 8 months. It's only been two days for Dementieva. Plus, Serena is not yet at that level she was in 2002/2003.
Then why is Serena in the final? She shouldn't have even gotten to the final if she is not playing the way she was playing last year.

As I stated, she has had a lot of her sucess with her bum knee. Now that she seems to be fine, I don't see why that would hinder her from winning a title ths year.

Leo_DFP
Apr 2nd, 2004, 02:06 AM

Does Elena have that?
Serena and Venus play doubles like two singles players on the same court. Considering they're the two best singles players when on their games (on 3 surfaces, at least), it's no surprise that they're going to win plenty in doubles. But that doesn't make either of them a better volleyer than Elena. Frankly, none of them are very handy at the net, at least not consistently or in pressure situations. It may be true that Serena has better winning percentages at net than Elena, but that's mostly because Serena will occassionally follow her first serve into net more to hit away the swinging volley, while Dementieva prefers to stay back and hit a big forehand from the baseline.

lizchris
Apr 2nd, 2004, 02:10 AM
Serena and Venus play doubles like two singles players on the same court. Considering they're the two best singles players when on their games (on 3 surfaces, at least), it's no surprise that they're going to win plenty in doubles. But that doesn't make either of them a better volleyer than Elena. Frankly, none of them are very handy at the net, at least not consistently or in pressure situations. It may be true that Serena has better winning percentages at net than Elena, but that's mostly because Serena will occassionally follow her first serve into net more to hit away the swinging volley, while Dementieva prefers to stay back and hit a big forehand from the baseline.
Well, we can at least agree on what you just said.:)

Leo_DFP
Apr 2nd, 2004, 02:12 AM
Then why is Serena in the final? She shouldn't have even gotten to the final if she is not playing the way she was playing last year.

As I stated, she has had a lot of her sucess with her bum knee. Now that she seems to be fine, I don't see why that would hinder her from winning a title ths year.
Serena hasn't faced a worthy challenger yet. Honestly, compare her road to the final from this year to last year's. In 2003, Serena completely demolished a confident Kim Clijsters; this year the best she's had to face is Eleni Daniilidou... come on, now.

Serena is yet to show her form of 2002-2003. Her patience and consistency are long rallies is lacking more so than usual, as is her decision-making/shot selection on pressure points. And that's completely udnerstandable. No one can come back from 8 months off playing at 100%. It comes in time. Even if Serena wins over Dementieva, she's still has much to prove if she's going to challenge the Belgians on clay or if she's going to reclaim her #1 this year.

Hantuchov
Apr 2nd, 2004, 02:12 AM
I wish she had beater Venus at:

The US Open (had she gotten to the final)
The 2000 Olympics
The other times Venus beat her

Then we would know that the better player was Elena:lol: :lol:

She was quite young that time, just a new comes in the tour. Now she showed she can beat her, in Miami, in Russia, in Fed Cup, in Olympics, wherever it will be played.

And only museums live from the past, I'm living the present, and, today, Alyona is in the final, and poor Venus...she's just watching Serena matches :lol: :lol:

lizchris
Apr 2nd, 2004, 02:15 AM
She was quite young that time, just a new comes in the tour. Now she showed she can beat her, in Miami, in Russia, in Fed Cup, in Olympics, wherever it will be played.

And only museums live from the past, I'm living the present, and, today, Alyona is in the final, and poor Venus...she's just watching Serena matches :lol: :lol:
You can laugh all you want at Venus but I don't see any Grand Slam singles trophies in Elena's house or in any Russian's house for that matter.

Justinefan
Apr 2nd, 2004, 02:16 AM
You can laugh all you want at Venus but I don't see any Grand Slam singles trophies in Elena's house or in any Russian's house for that matter.
I'm not going to say anything about Venus, but Elena is on her way up.. So maybe we will see some soon. I'm sure you were saying the same thing about Justine pre-rg

lizchris
Apr 2nd, 2004, 02:19 AM
I'm not going to say anything about Venus, but Elena is on her way up.. So maybe we will see some soon. I'm sure you were saying the same thing about Justine pre-rg
Actually, no, I knew that Justine had the game to win a Grand Slam, but could she get past the sisters, who were and still are, her biggest opponents in Grand Slams. She showed she could at the FO, but she is going to have an uphill climb for the Wimbeldon title and another USO title if the sisters are around and/or healthy.

Hantuchov
Apr 2nd, 2004, 02:21 AM

OK! :hehehe:

I'm not laughing at Venus, I'm laughing at this situation. You just cant underestimate any Top 10 player. Of course Serena is better than Alyona, but she's totally rusty, and that's a chance for Alyona. I never underestimated Serena or Venus, cuz I know their potential, but Alyona was better than Venus yesterday and if she woudl keep this rythym, she will be able to beat Serena too.

I dont wanna talk bout this again, ok?
Each one must respect different points of view. We'll just know the answer on Saturday ;)

Justinefan
Apr 2nd, 2004, 02:22 AM
I admit her chancse at wimbledon are slim, but RG and usopen, i dont see them being huge competition, even mjf said that serena's level is no where near that of justines..

harloo
Apr 2nd, 2004, 02:23 AM
Demented was given a lot of gifts from Venus in that qtr, and anyone with a bit of sense knows it.

If this were Justine, or Kim I would say it would be a tough match for Serena, but Demented hits a 62 mph second serve and she will not get passive play from Serena that Venus gave to her. She better hope that Serena is off, because if she is on her game the demented one will be sent home packing.

Nothing motivates Serena more than nasty comments about her family. The demented one better watch what she says.:haha: :haha: :haha:

Justinefan
Apr 2nd, 2004, 02:25 AM
Demented was given a lot of gifts from Venus in that qtr, and anyone with a bit of sense knows it.

If this were Justine, or Kim I would say it would be a tough match for Serena, but Demented hits a 62 mph second serve and she will not get passive play from Serena that Venus gave to her. She better hope that Serena is off, because if she is on her game the demented one will be sent home packing.

Nothing motivates Serena more than nasty comments about her family. The demented one better watch what she says.:haha: :haha: :haha:
I disagree, Venus was outplayed, no denying that.. Elena is the one who gives gifts to everyone she plays.

lizchris
Apr 2nd, 2004, 02:28 AM
I admit her chancse at wimbledon are slim, but RG and usopen, i dont see them being huge competition, even mjf said that serena's level is no where near that of justines..
That would be true if they were playing a Grand Slam in the next month, but the next Grand Slam is in late May; anything can happen. Do I think Serena will win? Probably not, but I don't think Justine will have an easy time defending since there have been different winners in the past decade.

Justinefan
Apr 2nd, 2004, 02:29 AM
Justine is amazing on clay.

harloo
Apr 2nd, 2004, 02:30 AM
I disagree, Venus was outplayed, no denying that.. Elena is the one who gives gifts to everyone she plays.
LOL. Are you serious? Venus was not outplayed. Venus was just giving points aways that she should not have. Hitting double faults back 2 back, hitting wide shots, her forehand was off, everything was just not on.

I actually think Demented should of beaten Venus in 2 easy sets with the way Venus was playing. It still went to a tight third set, it's a good win for Demented but IMO it says nothing about her level. Both of them played horribly, just Demented was better than Venus on that day.:lol:

lizchris
Apr 2nd, 2004, 02:31 AM

I was thinking the same thing about the comments; remember what Jennifer said and she hasn't beaten a Williams sinse (0-10 since Wimbeldon 2001).

If Venus had been able to hold serve at 5-3, we wouldn't be having this conversation now, but she lost and hopefully now that she is supposedly working with BJK and Zina, she will come back better in a couple of weeks.

Justinefan
Apr 2nd, 2004, 02:31 AM
LOL. Are you serious? Venus was not outplayed. Venus was just giving points aways that she should not have. Hitting double faults back 2 back, hitting wide shots, her forehand was off, everything was just not on.

I actually think Demented should of beaten Venus in 2 easy sets with the way Venus was playing. It still went to a tight third set, it's a good win for Demented but IMO it says nothing about her level. Both of them played horribly, just Demented was better than Venus on that day.:lol:
Are you serious?? Venus was outplayed on the ground game soo bad! And dementieva's serve is hooorrribbblleee, absolutely terrible.. and she still managed to win. So venus may not have served great, but Elena's groundstrokes were wonderful. She pushed venus back, venus couldn't handle it

tennnisfannn
Apr 2nd, 2004, 02:34 AM
Considering how venus hasn't hit form Alyona just scraped thru past venus. Lets also not forget Elena isn't playing as well as she was at the end of last year. This is the first tourny she has played this year with some decent results. Both players are playing their groundis well, the difference will be in the serve and hence advantage serena. The match up means for Elena she will have pressure holding serve coz serena's is still very difficult to break.
mentally both pressure have alot to get through. Elena is in the final of abig title, serena meets a top tenner but her match up against maria may have prepared for elena. Persoally i believe serena is more prone to a callens or loit at this point of her return than she is to a hard hitting baseliner.

lizchris
Apr 2nd, 2004, 02:35 AM
Justine is amazing on clay.
So was Serena in 2002, but she still wasn't able to defend her FO title last year. If Justine is challenged during the clay court season, don't be surprised if we have a new FO champion or a new champion at the FCC and the GO. I found it odd that she didn't play this tournament because she had to get ready for the clay court season whereas Elena, who won at Amelia Island, is playing.

IIOoIaMaGirLoOII
Apr 2nd, 2004, 02:37 AM
So was Serena in 2002, but she still wasn't able to defend her FO title last year. If Justine is challenged during the clay court season, don't be surprised if we have a new FO champion or a new champion at the FCC and the GO. I found it odd that she didn't play this tournament because she had to get ready for the clay court season whereas Elena, who won at Amelia Island, is playing.:tape: :tape:

lizchris
Apr 2nd, 2004, 02:41 AM
:tape: :tape:
Why don't you just say what you have to say.

I have two words for Justine's situation: Jennifer Capriati (remember 2002?)

mykarma
Apr 2nd, 2004, 02:46 AM
Yes, both will feel the pressure, but because of different reasons. But Serena looked much more nervous in her match today than Alyona, I never saw Serena celebrating so much the points, it wasnt thaat common before her injury. Alyona is cold, she doesnt show, through her face and body expressions, if she's nervous or not. She hardly ever celebrates a point. But you can know if she is nervous or not, just take a look at her serve, if she would start to fault a lot, you can 100% sure say that's she's really nervous. I hope she wont feel like this on Saturday :D

I've seen Serena celebrate and pump her fist before when her game was not on, but at that time she hadn't been off the court for eight months. I think todays match was good competion for Serena. The only concern I have is that Serena wasn't moving as well as she has been in previous matches but she does have a day to rest.

Go Rena. :bounce:

Ryan
Apr 2nd, 2004, 02:53 AM
Fuck the hell off lizchris. You complain and bitch about people not respecting your opinion, but you can't even allow people to state their own. Admittedly, ya does sound a little delusional but you are constantly tearing him down based on what he believes. I thought you ignored stupid posts anyway?

I didn't see the semifinals today (damn you TSN) but I'd say this is close. Serena could win easily, win in two close sets, or roll over ED in a third. Elena COULD POSSIBLY defeat Serena if she doesn't play very well and Elena has an amazing day.

Justinefan
Apr 2nd, 2004, 02:55 AM
[QUOTE=Ryan16]Fuck the hell off lizchris. You complain and bitch about people not respecting your opinion, but you can't even allow people to state their own. Admittedly, ya does sound a little delusional but you are constantly tearing him down based on what he believes. I thought you ignored stupid posts anyway?[QUOTE]
:worship: :worship: :worship:

lizchris
Apr 2nd, 2004, 03:01 AM
Fuck the hell off lizchris. You complain and bitch about people not respecting your opinion, but you can't even allow people to state their own. Admittedly, ya does sound a little delusional but you are constantly tearing him down based on what he believes. I thought you ignored stupid posts anyway?

I didn't see the semifinals today (damn you TSN) but I'd say this is close. Serena could win easily, win in two close sets, or roll over ED in a third. Elena COULD POSSIBLY defeat Serena if she doesn't play very well and Elena has an amazing day.
I thought you did too, so why are you here?

lizchris
Apr 2nd, 2004, 03:02 AM

Oh, and you can go fuck yourself too.

Justinefan
Apr 2nd, 2004, 03:04 AM
Is that really necessary?

lizchris
Apr 2nd, 2004, 03:08 AM
Is that really necessary?
I hope that was directed at Ryan16 and not me.

Justinefan
Apr 2nd, 2004, 03:08 AM
both of you and your language towards each other.

Nobody's Perfecc
Apr 2nd, 2004, 03:19 AM
I'm as big of a Serena fan as anyone, but judging by the way they've been playing, I can see Dementieva winning this. Serena is still quite rusty and like she said in her post-match interview, instead of progressing, she regressed. Dementieva on the other hand played brilliant tennis against Venus Williams and judging from the score, against Petrova. The big question is if Serena will raise her game up enough on Saturday. I'm sure she realizes that she will have to go up another level. In the past, Serena has always raised her game up when it really mattered, let's see if she can do that in the final. The way she played today, Serena would have lost to Elena in two tough sets. Even though I predict Elena winning(stressing that I'm assesing by the way they've played so far), I still have faith that Serena will "bring it".

lizchris
Apr 2nd, 2004, 03:26 AM
I'm as big of a Serena fan as anyone, but judging by the way they've been playing, I can see Dementieva winning this. Serena is still quite rusty and like she said in her post-match interview, instead of progressing, she regressed. Dementieva on the other hand played brilliant tennis against Venus Williams and judging from the score, against Petrova. The big question is if Serena will raise her game up enough on Saturday. I'm sure she realizes that she will have to go up another level. In the past, Serena has always raised her game up when it really mattered, let's see if she can do that in the final. The way she played today, Serena would have lost to Elena in two tough sets. Even though I predict Elena winning(stressing that I'm assesing by the way they've played so far), I still have faith that Serena will "bring it".
Exactly just like like in 2002 when she played Jennifer.

Serena had no business winning that year when Jennifer had set point in each match, but Serena raised her game when she had to.

Cybelle Darkholme
Apr 2nd, 2004, 03:41 AM
I think Serena will win even after not playing for 8 months and being rusty as heck she's still pulled herself into reasonable enough form to handle old ele. Elena Demented played like crap and barely put away venus who also played like crap. I mean you people act like she won 6 0 in the third and not by four points in the tie break.

:wavey:

"Topaz"
Apr 2nd, 2004, 03:58 AM
I know it's not a good idea to compare stats from two different matches. Yet, in the absence of other data, let's see what we can draw from today's matches in reference to the up coming final between Rena and Elena.

Nadia Petrova 4 2
Elena Dementieva 6 6
Elapsed Time By Set 39 48

Match Summary Petrova Dementieva
1st Serve % 53% 67%
Aces 4 1
Double Faults 5 6
Winning % - 1st Serve Pts. 21 of 36 = 58% 32 of 53 = 60%
Winning % - 2nd Serve Pts. 12 of 32 = 38% 13 of 26 = 50%
Winners (including service) 18 17
Unforced Errors 39 21
Break Point Conversions 2 of 10 = 20% 5 of 10 = 50%
Net Approaches 22 of 33 = 67% 5 of 7 = 71%
Total Points Won 67 80
Fastest Match Serve Speed 114 MPH 101 MPH
Average Match Serve Speed 106 MPH 87 MPH

Serena Williams 6 6
Eleni Daniilidou 4 4
Elapsed Time By Set 42 41

Match Summary Williams Daniilidou
1st Serve % 52% 65%
Aces 7 3
Double Faults 3 1
Winning % - 1st Serve Pts. 25 of 37 = 68% 18 of 37 = 49%
Winning % - 2nd Serve Pts. 15 of 34 = 44% 11 of 20 = 55%
Winners (including service) 28 16
Unforced Errors 25 15
Break Point Conversions 5 of 6 = 83% 3 of 3 = 100%
Net Approaches 15 of 23 = 65% 1 of 7 = 14%
Total Points Won 68 60
Fastest Match Serve Speed 116 MPH 107 MPH
Average Match Serve Speed 101 MPH 90 MPH

Aces - DF's: Rena 7-3 = +4 ; Elena 1-6 = -5
That's a diff of 9 in favor of Rena, which translates into more than 2 games

Winners - UE's: Rena 28-25 = +3 ; Elena 17-21 = -4
That's a diff of 7 in favor of Rena

Break point conv: Rena 83% ; Elena 50%
That means Rena plays the big points better

Net approaches: Rena 15 of 23 ; Elena 5 of 7
That tells you Elena keeps away from the net like a fish

Again, these comparisons are not solid as they derive from two different matches and, as a result, no concrete inferences can be drawn. However, we can use them plus our imagination in conjunction with our previous knowledge of these two players to form a pretty decent opinion.

Personally, I'll be amazed if Serena doesn't come out the winner.

ys
Apr 2nd, 2004, 04:09 AM
I know it's not a good idea to compare stats from two different matches. Yet, in the absence of other data, let's see what we can draw from today's matches in reference to the up coming final between Rena and Elena...
Very simple stat: Elena - 6 games conceded to a Top 10 player with only two breaks. Serena - 8 games conceded to not even Top 20 player with 3 breaks.

"Topaz"
Apr 2nd, 2004, 04:17 AM
Very simple stat: Elena - 6 games conceded to a Top 10 player with only two breaks. Serena - 8 games conceded to not even Top 20 player with 3 breaks.
How about this intangible: Serena was working her way up after an 8-month layoff. Can you factor that in?

ys
Apr 2nd, 2004, 04:36 AM
How about this intangible: Serena was working her way up after an 8-month layoff. Can you factor that in?
Of course. The factor would be - she is rusty,not confident and not match tough.

"Topaz"
Apr 2nd, 2004, 04:41 AM
Of course. The factor would be - she is rusty,not confident and not match tough.Soooo, given both performances today, don't you think she's tough enough for Elena?

harloo
Apr 2nd, 2004, 04:43 AM
It amazing that Rena is not even match tough and can beat players who were on the tour while she was out.

I am not worried because Rena never has been beaten by any of the semi-finalist, and my guess that Saturday won't be much different. If Demented does get the win, I don't think she would prove anything.

ys
Apr 2nd, 2004, 04:47 AM
What I think that given the way Serena played and moved today, I would think that this match will carry an unusually high probability of Serena getting injured. She was tripping the court and twisting her ankles after soft shots of slow Eleni. I am not sure that she is physically prepared to handle Dementieva's pace and variety of directions. Dementieva will move her around a lot, will hit behind her a lot, and with Serena's footwork being clumsiest I've ever seen she might just not be ready for that yet. I am sure Olga understands that and Elena will target the fragility of Serena's ankles by frequent change of direction and trying to hit behind her.

DeDe4925
Apr 2nd, 2004, 04:47 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

harloo
Apr 2nd, 2004, 04:54 AM
What I think that given the way Serena played and moved today, I would think that this match will carry an unusually high probability of Serena getting injured. She was tripping the court and twisting her ankles after soft shots of slow Eleni. I am not sure that she is physically prepared to handle Dementieva's pace and variety of directions. Dementieva will move her around a lot, will hit behind her a lot, and with Serena's footwork being clumsiest I've ever seen she might just not be ready for that yet. I am sure Olga understands that and Elena will target the fragility of Serena's ankles by frequent change of direction and trying to hit behind her.
So now you are praying that Serena gets injured? Sad.

Anyhoo, I will refrain from making such bold prediction. I just hope Demented and Princess Rena plays a good match. :lol:

esquímaux
Apr 2nd, 2004, 04:57 AM
TEAR HER APART SERENA!!!! Avenge Venus' lost!!!!!!!! :yeah:

"Topaz"
Apr 2nd, 2004, 05:02 AM
Well, we shall see. BTW, YS, don't forget to login after the match. We'll need to talk. Actually, quite a few people will want to talk to you. I hope you won't shy away. Meanwhile, good luck to your fave, Elena: she'll need all the gods in heaven to pull thru. :wavey:

ys
Apr 2nd, 2004, 05:03 AM
So now you are praying that Serena gets injured? Sad.

Anyhoo, I will refrain from making such bold prediction. I just hope Demented and Princess Rena plays a good match. :lol:And I am not praying. It is just that given the Serena's low level of fitness and being overweight, it's a possibility. At the same time targeting opponent's physique is absolutely legit method in pro sport.

But you guys never learn. At AO, already after Douchevina match it was clear that Venus is slow as a cow and has no chance. But you kept on singing that Venus is goingt o win it. Same here. Serena will get spanked on Saturday. She has not been tested yet. She has only played few players who were hardly winning any matches this year, and yet she struggled against them.

DeDe4925
Apr 2nd, 2004, 05:14 AM
First of all, to the person who said Serena couldn't handle Elena's slice backhands today, that's a lie, she only hit one into the net. Secondly, Serena has the best serve on the tour, even with an 8 month lay-off. She mixes up her serves and they are hard to return, unlike Venus and Petrova. She can place her serves in any place on the court she wants. It's not the speed of the serve, but the accuracy and pace. If Serena's serve is on, it's curtains for Demented. Thirdly, Demented should not try to go toe to toe with Serena at the baseline, because she will lose. Serena thrives on balls with weight and pace. Her speed is better than Petrova's and is as good as any of the Top 10 now, including Demented and if Demented doesn't try to slice, drop or angle the ball toward the alley, they are just going to sit up for Serena to smack them down the line. So, whoever said she keeps her balls inside, better hope she doesn't, especially if Serena keeps her pinned behind the baseline off the pace of her balls and Serena gets some short balls.

As far as returns, Serena will pounce on those 65-70 mile an hour balls and Demented won't even get a chance to play. Lastly Serena is pissed about (1) her beating her sister and (2) the insult toward Venus after.

Right now Serena has the most motivation and intimidation factor in her favor.

Motivation factors include:
(1) it's her first tournament back and she has something to prove;
(2) she's hungry;
(3) she's going for a three-peat at a big Tier 1;
(4) Demented beat Venus; and
(5) she's pissed at Demented for what she said yesterday.

Intimidation factors include:
(1) She has only lost one set in a Tier 1 going into the finals after an 8 month layoff and she's beating women who've been playing on the tour for 8 months;
(2) she has a large presence on the court;
(3) Demented has never beaten her;
(4) her serve has been out of this world in this tournament when she needed it to be;
(5) she's a former No.1 and left the tour 8 months ago as No. 1 and holder of all four grand slams, plus two; and
(6) she's Serena Williams.

The only way Serena will lose this title is if she (1) doesn't show up; or (2) gets injured; or (3) totally collapses mentally.

Go Babygirl Go!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

ys
Apr 2nd, 2004, 05:17 AM
The only way Serena will lose this title is if she (1) doesn't show up; or (2) gets injured; or (3) totally collapses mentally.
You can start choosing your version already..

DeDe4925
Apr 2nd, 2004, 05:21 AM
You can start choosing your version already..
Why don't you address my comments, instead of trying to be sarcastic. Got anything to counter what I said? Didn't think so. ;)

Sleep on that and try to have a nice night. :wavey:

DeDe4925
Apr 2nd, 2004, 05:24 AM
And I am not praying. It is just that given the Serena's low level of fitness and being overweight, it's a possibility. At the same time targeting opponent's physique is absolutely legit method in pro sport.

But you guys never learn. At AO, already after Douchevina match it was clear that Venus is slow as a cow and has no chance. But you kept on singing that Venus is goingt o win it. Same here. Serena will get spanked on Saturday. She has not been tested yet. She has only played few players who were hardly winning any matches this year, and yet she struggled against them.
:lol: Serena is not overweight, in fact, she's fitter than she was when she left the tour at No. 1 after winning Wimby. And, no matter how much you want her to be, she's not slow. She has been running down everything that was reachable in the tournament.

You are the ones who never learn. I'll have some crow on a silver platter waiting for you in here after the finals on Saturday. Don't forget to show up for dinner. :lick:

DEETHELICK
Apr 2nd, 2004, 07:47 AM
Serena is seen as the favourite. Moreso because of her superior serve.

But I still give Elena a chance and I hope she takes it.

Good luck Elena!! :D

SerialKiller#69
Apr 2nd, 2004, 07:55 AM
Dementieva has no chance in hell. She might as well not show up.

Hope this works again this time.It did against Venus.:secret:

bandabou
Apr 2nd, 2004, 08:14 AM
Don´t dare compare Nadia´s serve with Serena´s! That´s blasphemy!!! Have you ever hear sooo many people say they don´t know where she was going to serve about Nadia, like they´re doing about Serena...even after this lay-off?!

I´m telling you....if Serena serves a good %, I think she´s gonna win. This isn´t Venus. Elena was beating Venus off the ground, because she only had to worry about one-side: The backhand. Can she do that against Serena?! Don´t think so.

Secondly: Serena thrives on second-serves, it doesn´t matter how slow or fast they are, she´s gonna punish them. No questions asked.

bandabou
Apr 2nd, 2004, 08:24 AM
And you know what is funny?! The same people who are betting on Elena to beat serena now, didn´t even see her beating Nadia....saying that Nadia was the favourite for the title!! Go figure!

spike83
Apr 2nd, 2004, 08:29 AM
Dementieva has no chance in hell. She might as well not show up.

Hope this works again this time.It did against Venus.:secret:Dementieva will teach Serena a lesson,
she already defeated 3 players she had lost the last meetings ;)

good omen, like said before,

prediction: Dementieva beat Williams 6-4 2-6 6-4

SerialKiller#69
Apr 2nd, 2004, 08:49 AM
prediction Serena Williams def Dementieva 6-1 6-1.

IIOoIaMaGirLoOII
Apr 2nd, 2004, 08:52 AM
prediction Serena Williams def Dementieva 6-1 6-1.you're not giving elena enough credit.. :(
i say elena takes at least 4 games off of serena..

spike83
Apr 2nd, 2004, 08:53 AM
prediction Serena Williams def Dementieva 6-1 6-1.
we'll laugh when its Serena getting beaten by Lena 6-1 6-1 :angel: ;)

bandabou
Apr 2nd, 2004, 09:00 AM
Wow, some people are really big on the girl who´s only playing in her FIRST tier I final against a girl who has 5 titles!! and is the two-time defending champ. Nice, nice.

SerialKiller#69
Apr 2nd, 2004, 09:14 AM
LOL You people don't get it, do you?

I'm just joking as though I'm jinxing Serena..:retard:

Jakeev
Apr 2nd, 2004, 09:21 AM

Here we friggen go again. Look damn it, no matter what you friggen have to say about it, Kim's "victory" over Venus counts as a win regardless of what you say or think.

Unless sometime in the next several years, the WTA changes it's rules, Kim Clijsters will go down in history as have beaten Venus and Serena back to back in the 2002 Championships.

Anyway, to get back on topic. I don't give a damn what people think, Serena even not at her best is still the better tennis player than Elena Dementieva.

The Russian is gonna have to hope Serena is having a hard day cause she is not going to force errors out of Serena like she did against Venus.

But Elena thinks SPIRIT is gonna help her win the match so let's just see how right she is about it.........

Ballbuster
Apr 2nd, 2004, 01:07 PM
Elena's double faults will cost her this game. She was nervous against Venus, she will be petrified against Serena. You can give Serena a few points there.

Elena will sail in a 65 mph and Serena will eat her for lunch. You can give Serena a few points there.

Serena's Server - give her 3 games.

Elena's only chance will come in the rallies.

Game Match Serena Williams.

bandabou
Apr 2nd, 2004, 01:17 PM
People, people... face it, Elena will have to the best serving day of her life for her to beat Serena. Really...you say she can win the rallies, but she can win only so much, if Serena is blasting return winners. Plus Serena ain´t gonna miss so many forehands, like Venus did.

lizchris
Apr 2nd, 2004, 01:21 PM
Another meaningless stat from the Nasdaq-100:

Elena Dementieva: Five matches, 3 aces, 48 dobule faults:eek:

Serena Williams: Five matches, A whole lot better

spike83
Apr 2nd, 2004, 01:27 PM
Wow, some people are really big on the girl who´s only playing in her FIRST tier I final against a girl who has 5 titles!! and is the two-time defending champ. Nice, nice.
she did play a Tier I final (the one she lost to Dokic (MOSCOW))

just correcting the mistake I read :devil:

Vass22
Apr 2nd, 2004, 01:35 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Have you stoped laughing since yesterday man? Too much laughter is known to suffocate people at times. But I'm not worried. I'm pretty sure that tomorrow you'll be all red with anger at Elena, swearing, hating, etc, etc.

PS:There is a 'stupid' saying in 'stupid' Russia that laughing without a reason may be a sign of mental illness, or just of utter stupidity.

bandabou
Apr 2nd, 2004, 01:37 PM
she did play a Tier I final (the one she lost to Dokic (MOSCOW))

just correcting the mistake I read :devil:

My bad...

bandabou
Apr 2nd, 2004, 01:38 PM

See....Serena has almost as many aces 35 as Dementieva has df´s...how can one see her winning against Serena like that?!

SelesFan70
Apr 2nd, 2004, 01:39 PM
Serena has been serving lights out so far. Is she due for a bad serving day? If so, Dementieva will roll in straight sets. Can't wait to watch it!

spike83
Apr 2nd, 2004, 01:41 PM
Serena didn't have hard players to compete against (except for Sharapova, but she's still young)
Dementieva had to battle her way against higher seeds...

bandabou
Apr 2nd, 2004, 01:41 PM
Thing is, Serena DOESN´T have bad serving matches....

bandabou
Apr 2nd, 2004, 01:42 PM
Serena didn't have hard players to compete against (except for Sharapova, but she's still young)
Dementieva had to battle her way against higher seeds...

The way babygirl has been serving, don´t think it would have mattered.

ys
Apr 2nd, 2004, 01:43 PM
See....Serena has almost as many aces 35 as Dementieva has df´s...how can one see her winning against Serena like that?!
Serena served many aces because she played a set of very immobile players. Now she faces the best returner of the tour who was smacking winners off Venus Williams first serves.

Vass22
Apr 2nd, 2004, 01:43 PM
People, people... face it, Elena will have to the best serving day of her life for her to beat Serena. Really...you say she can win the rallies, but she can win only so much, if Serena is blasting return winners. Plus Serena ain´t gonna miss so many forehands, like Venus did.
We do face it. Elena's facing it too. But can you agree on this: before Venus' match people were saying "Venus wouldn't be making as many errors as Dokic". Things never turn out exactly as you expect them too.

lizchris
Apr 2nd, 2004, 01:44 PM
Serena has been serving lights out so far. Is she due for a bad serving day? If so, Dementieva will roll in straight sets. Can't wait to watch it!
Since the last Nasdaq-100, Serena has only lost three matches, so her bad serving days have been few and far between, so if I were Elena, I wouldn't be holding my breath.

ys
Apr 2nd, 2004, 01:47 PM
I don't even understand why are so obsessed about Serena's serve. Even Danilidou was breaking her almost at will, and comparing to Dementieva Danilidou can't return at all..

lizchris
Apr 2nd, 2004, 01:47 PM
Serena served many aces because she played a set of very immobile players. Now she faces the best returner of the tour who was smacking winners off Venus Williams first serves.
Is that true? Because I was reading an article that said Serena was one of the best returns in women's tennis.

lizchris
Apr 2nd, 2004, 01:48 PM
I don't even understand why are so obsessed about Serena's serve. Even Danilidou was breaking her almost at will, and comparing to Dementieva Danilidou can't return at all..
But she still lost.

bandabou
Apr 2nd, 2004, 01:49 PM

Hmmm....you can´t hit something you ain´t seeing, can you?! And about breaking Serena almost at will, the most times Serena has lost her serve in a match was against Daniilidou: three times and only had three bp´s too....have seen Dementieva lose that many service games in sets alone imo.

lizchris
Apr 2nd, 2004, 01:50 PM
The best returner on the tour is Jennifer Caprati.

ys
Apr 2nd, 2004, 01:51 PM
Is that true? Because I was reading an article that said Serena was one of the best returns in women's tennis.
Yes, she probably was.

But that's not the point. Forget about aces, doublefaults or any other statistical crap about serves. They don't count in tennis. There is only one thing that counts in tennis regarding serve - breaks. And in her lst match Elena was broken noly twice by a very potent returner, while Serena was broken three time by someone who is not nearly as good a returner as Nadya Petrova.

bandabou
Apr 2nd, 2004, 01:51 PM

:lol: Ssshhh....Serena can return as good if not better than Dementieva AND she certainly, certainly, certainly serves WAAAAYYYYYYYY better.

Where´s the edge for Elena?! Can´t see it...

ys
Apr 2nd, 2004, 01:52 PM
The best returner on the tour is Jennifer Caprati.
Really? She was not returning much in last four monthes.. :lol: You know, "Is" means "present tense".

bandabou
Apr 2nd, 2004, 01:53 PM
Yes, she probably was.

But that's not the point. Forget about aces, doublefaults or any other statistical crap about serves. They don't count in tennis. There is only one thing that counts in tennis regarding serve - breaks. And in her lst match Elena was broken noly twice by a very potent returner, while Serena was broken three time by someone who is not nearly as good a returner as Nadya Petrova.

Loss of focus...in at least two of three games she got broken she was up 40-15 or 40-0, only to lose it...nothing more really, ´cause other than that Eleni had no chances on Serena´s serve.

lizchris
Apr 2nd, 2004, 01:55 PM
Yes, she probably was.

If that is the case, the edge still goes to Serena because for the duration of this torunament, I believe she has been broken less than Elena.

lee station
Apr 2nd, 2004, 01:55 PM
And the winner is.... :)

Eh... um... I don't wanna jinx her.

lizchris
Apr 2nd, 2004, 01:56 PM
Really? She was not returning much in last four monthes.. :lol: You know, "Is" means "present tense".
She has been injured with a bad back which I don' think is funny.

Probably what I shoud have said was when she is on her game, she is the best returner in women's tennis.

BTW, if Serena and Jennifer are so bad, whiy are they still in the top ten?:rolleyes:

Vass22
Apr 2nd, 2004, 01:56 PM
:lol: Ssshhh....Serena can return as good if not better than Dementieva AND she certainly, certainly, certainly serves WAAAAYYYYYYYY better.

Serena herself felt that she wasn't playing all that well with Danilidou. I have a feeling that she wouldn't play any better, but worse. The 'slump' can only get worse.

ys
Apr 2nd, 2004, 01:57 PM
Loss of focus...in at least two of three games she got broken she was up 40-15 or 40-0, only to lose it...nothing more really, ´cause other than that Eleni had no chances on Serena´s serve.
Loss of focus is a part of what they call "being rusty" or "not match tough". Remember, we are talking not about hypothetical Serena at her best, which was incomparably better than probably anything that Elena can ever reach. We are talking about Serena's today's game and today's level of confidence. If the two were to play an year ago, even after Elena's AIs triumph, I would have given Elena no chance. If they play in 3 months, it is likely to be the same. But in tomorrow's match Elena is a favourite. Simply judging by current form.

ys
Apr 2nd, 2004, 01:58 PM
BTW, if Serena and Jennifer are so bad, whiy are they still in the top ten?:rolleyes:
Because tennis rankings have no direct correlation to a player's current form.

bandabou
Apr 2nd, 2004, 02:02 PM
Loss of focus is a part of what they call "being rusty" or "not match tough". Remember, we are talking not about hypothetical Serena at her best, which was incomparably better than probably anything that Elena can ever reach. We are talking about Serena's today's game and today's level of confidence. If the two were to play an year ago, even after Elena's AIs triumph, I would have given Elena no chance. If they play in 3 months, it is likely to be the same. But in tomorrow's match Elena is a favourite. Simply judging by current form.

Hmm....I guess tomorrow we will know. Hard for me to not see Serena as a favourite, specially in a match against Elena D...if you think her form has been better than Serena´s, well....must tell you she nearly nearly nearly lost to Dokic, who was in no form whatsoever..

lizchris
Apr 2nd, 2004, 02:04 PM
Serena herself felt that she wasn't playing all that well with Danilidou. I have a feeling that she wouldn't play any better, but worse. The 'slump' can only get worse.
She might not have been but she could also be psyching out her potential opponent.

lizchris
Apr 2nd, 2004, 02:04 PM
Hmm....I guess tomorrow we will know. Hard for me to not see Serena as a favourite, specially in a match against Elena D...if you think her form has been better than Serena´s, well....must tell you she nearly nearly nearly lost to Dokic, who was in no form whatsoever..
She nearly lost to Venus too,

Cam'ron Giles
Apr 2nd, 2004, 02:08 PM
Geez...are we all fortune tellers? We all know that players run hot and cold...You could have a amazing match in one round and just come out flat the next...Serena is still a bit rusty, Elena is player VERY well (I do believe that a rusty (80% in form ) Serena can beat a hot Elena) but we have no way of knowing...It just a wait and see at this point...:rolleyes:

ys
Apr 2nd, 2004, 02:09 PM
I saw Elena and Serena with my own eyes. Elena plays better right now. Hits cleaner, a lot of confidence, extremely fast.. More than that, if Venus has gotten out of that tiebreak on top, and beaten Petrova yesterday, my money tomorrow would be clearly on Venus, because I think at this tournament Venus played a better tennis than Serena. it's just that she had to play a good player too soon.

As to Dokic... I haven't seen the match so I can't say.. And you never know with Dokic.. Like she was in no form whatsoever for more than year, and then there was Zurich.. No one knows where did it come from and where did it go after that..

Ballbuster
Apr 2nd, 2004, 02:12 PM
Because tennis rankings have no direct correlation to a player's current form.

Damn ys!

you are really obsessed over this Russian gal. You see a potential opening as Serena isn't 100%. It would break your heart that a rusty Serena will prevail.

Come back to the board after the match so I can laugh at you.

bandabou
Apr 2nd, 2004, 02:13 PM
I saw Elena and Serena with my own eyes. Elena plays better right now. Hits cleaner, a lot of confidence, extremely fast.. More than that, if Venus has gotten out of that tiebreak on top, and beaten Petrova yesterday, my money tomorrow would be clearly on Venus, because I think at this tournament Venus played a better tennis than Serena. it's just that she had to play a good player too soon.

As to Dokic... I haven't seen the match so I can't say.. And you never know with Dokic.. Like she was in no form whatsoever for more than year, and then there was Zurich.. No one knows where did it come from and where did it go after that..

Of course it´s easier for Elena to look all fast and stuff, because didn´t have to play players who slice and dice a lot...you can´t create much pace out of a sliced ball, yet Serena rusty and all, still was good enough to handle it all..

lizchris
Apr 2nd, 2004, 02:14 PM
Damn ys!

you are really obsessed over this Russian gal. You see a potential opening as Serena isn't 100%. It would break your heart that a rusty Serena will prevail.

He probably thinks a Russian will win a Grand Slam this year for the women.:rolleyes:

Justinefan
Apr 2nd, 2004, 02:15 PM

Yeah so what's new?? You act like that's something new for her?? You think she doesn't know that.

Justinefan
Apr 2nd, 2004, 02:17 PM
She has been injured with a bad back which I don' think is funny.

Probably what I shoud have said was when she is on her game, she is the best returner in women's tennis.

Well Elena is in the top 10 so why do you claim she's so bad :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Justinefan
Apr 2nd, 2004, 02:18 PM
Damn ys!

So it's okay for you to be obsessed with the Williams sisters and claim they are the best thing in the world, but it's not okay for ys and others to support their fans?/ How the hell does that make sense, sounds to me like you are the one that is obsessing over serena :rolleyes:

Ballbuster
Apr 2nd, 2004, 02:19 PM
He probably thinks a Russian will win a Grand Slam this year for the women.:rolleyes:

I guess I'd be happy too for my home girl. But there is just one problem. She's up against the Tour's Terror!!

and Serena is not going to hand her Nothing.

Paneru
Apr 2nd, 2004, 02:21 PM
Serena will have extra motivation to kick her
ass because of what she said about Vee! :lol:

lizchris
Apr 2nd, 2004, 02:27 PM
Yeah so what's new?? You act like that's something new for her?? You think she doesn't know that.
We know she gets angry when people remind her of her weak service game.

lizchris
Apr 2nd, 2004, 02:29 PM
Well Elena is in the top 10 so why do you claim she's so bad :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
I never said she was.

I just said she wasn't the player Serena is.

Ballbuster
Apr 2nd, 2004, 02:40 PM
There are two things you can count on in that match.

Serena blasting Elena's weak ass serve for an out-right winner.

Serena Aceing her. Watch for Elena trying to stop the ace by putting a racket on the ball and the ball sailing into the stands.

bandabou
Apr 2nd, 2004, 02:42 PM
Plus Elena won that match mostly because of Venus df´ting on crucial points and her forehand sailing like a sail....can´t see Serena do that.

daniela86
Apr 2nd, 2004, 02:47 PM
I really want to see Elena winning this!! She deserves this tile.But I think Serena will win in 2 sets 6/4 7/5 !!! :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

lizchris
Apr 2nd, 2004, 02:49 PM
There are two things you can count on in that match.

Serena blasting Elena's weak ass serve for an out-right winner.

Serena Aceing her. Watch for Elena trying to stop the ace by putting a racket on the ball and the ball sailing into the stands.
Elena said in her post match interview that Serena probably wouldn't know how to handle her weak second serve. Maybe Venus didn't, but Serena is a differnt story. Mary Carillo said that previously.

DUNEMAN
Apr 2nd, 2004, 02:49 PM

This and the Venge, factor, you can call it a wrap :p :p :p :p :p :p

Nobody's Perfecc
Apr 2nd, 2004, 03:03 PM
The factor tomorrow will be if Serena controls her errors and improves her movement tomorrow. From the way Serena played yesterday, I think Serena would have lost to Elena. I think Serena needs to raise her game up and I think she will be ready for the challenge tomorrow. Actually I have no idea, but I'm just hoping she does. She will need to maintain her serving quality, although she needs to back it up with consistent groundstrokes. I think that is what let her down against Eleni. Regardless of the outcome, I think Serena has done amazingly well for a player who hadn't played in eight months. Elena has also had a great tournament. I had a feeling she was going to play well when I saw a picture of her running in Key Biscayne two days before the tournament! I'm happy for Elena! She's one of my favorites, but I'm pulling for Serena in this match. :)

bandabou
Apr 2nd, 2004, 03:14 PM
The match against Eleni isn´t much comparison, because that isn´t the way Elena is gonna play against Serena. Pace for pace, Serena is gonna be fine and with the day´s rest, her movement is bound to improve too.

cheo23
Apr 2nd, 2004, 03:44 PM
Well it depends if Serena kills those sucky 2nd SERves from Elena..if she's hittin winners or comin to net and finishin the volley after returnin those 2nd SERves..she's got a chance..but if she's missin the return to the net or overhittin..Expect Elena to hang on with her Good Ass Groundstrokes and attackin SErena's Forehand which is her weaker shot... so I'm predictin...HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMm.... 6-4 7-5 Serena!!!!!!!!!! Go SErena ! U ARE THE BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bandabou
Apr 2nd, 2004, 03:50 PM
Serena´s best shots after the serve and the return is her forehand. Don´t think it would be wise of Dementieva to go forehand vs forehand with Serena...will get crushed.

Veritas
Apr 2nd, 2004, 03:57 PM
She nearly lost to Venus too,

She nearly beat Venus in straight sets too.

...and Jennifer isn't currently the best returner on tour. If that was so, she wouldn't have lost in the 3rd round in straight sets.

I think Serena will win in straight sets - 3 at the most. Sure, she hasn't been tested yet, but still...dominating (not just beating) players after an 8-month lay-off is pretty impressive.

Serena loves topspin - Elena likes to hit it flat, so it'll be interesting to see how these rallies turn out.

But don't count out Elena just yet - she puts a lot of spin on her serves (when she gets it in) and she's capable of keeping up with the power and pace of the power-players.

The only danger which I think Serena's vulnerable to is those unforced errors. She's a power player, so she obviously likes to put balls away ASAP - keep up with her a bit longer and she'll start hitting balls harder than normal, which'll increase the chances of unforced errors.

lizchris
Apr 2nd, 2004, 04:03 PM
She nearly beat Venus in straight sets too.

...and Jennifer isn't currently the best returner on tour. If that was so, she wouldn't have lost in the 3rd round in straight sets.

I think Serena will win in straight sets - 3 at the most. Sure, she hasn't been tested yet, but still...dominating (not just beating) players after an 8-month lay-off is pretty impressive.

Serena loves topspin - Elena likes to hit it flat, so it'll be interesting to see how these rallies turn out.

But don't count out Elena just yet - she puts a lot of spin on her serves (when she gets it in) and she's capable of keeping up with the power and pace of the power-players.

The only danger which I think Serena's vulnerable to is those unforced errors. She's a power player, so she obviously likes to put balls away ASAP - keep up with her a bit longer and she'll start hitting balls harder than normal, which'll increase the chances of unforced errors.
But the difference between her, Venus and in many cases, Kim and Jusinte is that her many unforced errors are muted by her many winners. If she hits as many winners as errors, Serena will still win.

bandabou
Apr 2nd, 2004, 04:04 PM
Actually Serena has been plenty patient during most of her matches....for a player just coming in her ufe count isn´t that high...should be good match and a test for Serena.

the cat
Apr 2nd, 2004, 04:06 PM
If Serena Williams was in her top form then I think she would beat Elena Dmeentieva in straight sets in the 2004 Nasdaq-100 Open women's final. But being that this is Serena's first tournament back since Wimbledon and she's not moving as well as she normally does. Elena is actually moving better than Serena is at this time. I think there will be alot of unforced errors and service breaks in this match which should hurt Serena's confidence and possibly lead to the upset. I also think the windy conditions take away some of the effectiveness of Serena's tremendous first serve. And when Serena dumps a few of Elena's creampuff second serves into the net her confidence will drop. Because of the circumstances I think Elena will upset Serena 7-6(4) 3-6 6-4 to win the 2004 Nasdaq-100 Open title.

I am very happy Elena is heading in the right direction with Olga Morozova coaching her. :) And I am very happy Serena is back and in great shape. :D Women's tennis needs her.

bandabou
Apr 2nd, 2004, 04:13 PM
Serena doesn´t lose confidence. NEVER EVER and not under ANY circumstances.

cheo23
Apr 2nd, 2004, 04:15 PM
Well Elena Dementieva's forehand is her BEst Shot...Elena's Forehand vs Serena's Forehand..I'll give the edge 2 Elena Dementieva..and if Serena is hesitate or has a technical breakdown like she did against Eleni Daniilidou, Elena will crush it for sure...Will BE a Good Ass match to watch! but a Close Match!!!!!!!!!! so Elena's still has a chance to win!

Veritas
Apr 2nd, 2004, 04:22 PM
Serena doesn´t lose confidence. NEVER EVER and not under ANY circumstances.

No.

Serena's a human being. She does lose confidence from time to time.

Remember what happened at the RG SF last year? Or what about the time when she almost lost to Els Callens at the AO in '03?

Don't put too much pressure or expectation on her. She's extremely talented, but it's unfair on Serena to start expecting her to be invincible and constantly confident.

bandabou
Apr 2nd, 2004, 04:27 PM
Well Elena Dementieva's forehand is her BEst Shot...Elena's Forehand vs Serena's Forehand..I'll give the edge 2 Elena Dementieva..and if Serena is hesitate or has a technical breakdown like she did against Eleni Daniilidou, Elena will crush it for sure...Will BE a Good Ass match to watch! but a Close Match!!!!!!!!!! so Elena's still has a chance to win!

Technical breakdown?! I´m watching that match right now and forehand was plenty fine I must say...it was her movement that looked bad and sluggish to me.. should be good indeed.

bandabou
Apr 2nd, 2004, 04:33 PM
No.

Serena's a human being. She does lose confidence from time to time.

Remember what happened at the RG SF last year? Or what about the time when she almost lost to Els Callens at the AO in '03?

Don't put too much pressure or expectation on her. She's extremely talented, but it's unfair on Serena to start expecting her to be invincible and constantly confident.
Gotcha!

lizchris
Apr 2nd, 2004, 04:53 PM
Elena isn't crushing anybody with that serve of hers.

If she happens to beat Serena, which I don't believe will haappen, it will take her three sets or two very close ones. It took her three to beat Venus, who is nowhere near the player Serena is now, but was injured.

lizchris
Apr 2nd, 2004, 04:55 PM
BTW, can anyone answer why the press asked her about her shoulder at this point in the tournament? I wasn't aware it was giving her a problem.

bandabou
Apr 2nd, 2004, 05:03 PM
Elena isn't crushing anybody with that serve of hers.

If she happens to beat Serena, which I don't believe will haappen, it will take her three sets or two very close ones. It took her three to beat Venus, who is nowhere near the player Serena is now, but was injured.

Thank you very much..

lizchris
Apr 2nd, 2004, 05:18 PM
Thank you very much..
You're welcome.

I see Elena as having the same situation as Jennifer in 2001; she played an injured Serena, beat her, then played Venus and lost to her in threee sets.

bandabou
Apr 2nd, 2004, 05:31 PM
Me too....Serena´s hungry and when she´s hungry she´s dangerous.

lizchris
Apr 2nd, 2004, 05:32 PM
That's what the WTA tour sites says.

ys
Apr 2nd, 2004, 06:04 PM
Right, right.. And to insure her victory she is not eating since Thursday..

bandabou
Apr 2nd, 2004, 06:08 PM
Right, right.. And to insure her victory she is not eating since Thursday..

Yeah.....now she´s gonna have some Dementieva for breakfast, lunch and supper.

KoOlMaNsEaN
Apr 2nd, 2004, 06:13 PM
Head 2 Head Matchup

Wimbledon 2003 4th Round
(1)Serena Williams d. (15)Elena Dementieva 6-2 6-2

KoOlMaNsEaN
Apr 2nd, 2004, 06:15 PM
In my opinion Serena WILL win. I hope she steps up her game more.
Elena will be nervous. Also I sense she'll have a scratchy start to a final.
Serena Williams d. Dementieva 6-4 6-4

jbone_0307
Apr 2nd, 2004, 06:30 PM
The question shouldn't be whos going to win, but how bad Serena will beat her.

DeDe4925
Apr 2nd, 2004, 07:02 PM
Have you stoped laughing since yesterday man? Too much laughter is known to suffocate people at times.
First of all I'm female. Secondly, obviously not, you haven't stopped posting. And, who would enjoy dying laughing. Ya gotta die anyway, so what a hell of a way to go.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

DeDe4925
Apr 2nd, 2004, 07:05 PM
Have you stoped laughing since yesterday man? Too much laughter is known to suffocate people at times. But I'm not worried. I'm pretty sure that tomorrow you'll be all red with anger at Elena, swearing, hating, etc, etc.

PS:There is a 'stupid' saying in 'stupid' Russia that laughing without a reason may be a sign of mental illness, or just of utter stupidity.

P.S. from my last post, regarding me being red with anger tomorrow after the match. I wouldn't bet the farm on it. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Besides, I'm too dark to get red when I get angry. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

bandabou
Apr 2nd, 2004, 07:06 PM
The question shouldn't be whos going to win, but how bad Serena will beat her.

DAANNNGG!! :lol: ;)

DeDe4925
Apr 2nd, 2004, 07:10 PM
Do you people really believe the crap you post? Or, do you just post to annoy people. Most of the people who post here know a little bit about tennis. Obviously you don't. Why don't you and Vass take a break, get some tennis lessons, learn the players and their nuances and then come back to post. :help:

Maybe you too will have learned to post intelligently about the players. :smash:

Ryan
Apr 2nd, 2004, 07:11 PM
I thought you did too, so why are you here?

Haha, where did you hear that? I love to piss on stupid people's parades.

DeDe4925
Apr 2nd, 2004, 07:14 PM
:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: ...at will???!!! :haha: :haha: :haha:
Maybe that's why Elena won the match...oh no, that's not right, Serena won. :scratch: Hmmm, if she were almost breaking her serve at will, wouldn't she have been ahead in the breaks and games and won? :retard:

Vass and ys, you guys need some serious meds. :cuckoo:

lizchris
Apr 2nd, 2004, 07:17 PM
Haha, where did you hear that? I love to piss on stupid people's parades.
Then you should love pissing yourself off a lot.

DeDe4925
Apr 2nd, 2004, 07:17 PM
Hmmm....you can´t hit something you ain´t seeing, can you?! And about breaking Serena almost at will, the most times Serena has lost her serve in a match was against Daniilidou: three times and only had three bp´s too....have seen Dementieva lose that many service games in sets alone imo.
Elena only broke her twice. Once in each set, when Serena was serving for the match.

DeDe4925
Apr 2nd, 2004, 07:25 PM
Yes, she probably was.

:eek: :eek: :eek:
Aces, doublefaults or any other "statistical crap about serves" don't count in tennis????!!!!
:eek: :eek: :eek:
Serena broke Elena five times. Therefore, Serena must be a more potent returner than the one you mentioned. Please come back to reality. :lol:

DeDe4925
Apr 2nd, 2004, 07:28 PM
Wishful thinking :rolleyes:

DeDe4925
Apr 2nd, 2004, 07:30 PM
:tape: :tape: :spit:

DeDe4925
Apr 2nd, 2004, 07:36 PM

Somebody puhlleeze get ys some glasses and some medicine. :lol: :smoke:

ace4lleykim
Apr 2nd, 2004, 07:36 PM
Yup I agree, she will win. Beside, she has had so many experiences in finals, like the nerves, the pressure. She's too experience, she will make it, easily. ;)

Justinefan
Apr 2nd, 2004, 08:21 PM
I saw the Lena vs. Dokic match.. Dokic played pretty well in the first set, and not even that bad in the second, Elena really stepped it up. Dokic was playing better than i've seen her play in a long time. So that was a good win for Elena. I think you will all be surprised by the results tomorrow. Elena will surprise all of you.

bandabou
Apr 2nd, 2004, 08:23 PM
I saw the Lena vs. Dokic match.. Dokic played pretty well in the first set, and not even that bad in the second, Elena really stepped it up. Dokic was playing better than i've seen her play in a long time. So that was a good win for Elena. I think you will all be surprised by the results tomorrow. Elena will surprise all of you.

Or maybe not....

Justinefan
Apr 2nd, 2004, 08:25 PM
Or maybe not....
Good for you, you have your opinion and I have mine, :p

DeDe4925
Apr 2nd, 2004, 08:35 PM
So it's okay for you to be obsessed with the Williams sisters and claim they are the best thing in the world, but it's not okay for ys and others to support their fans?/ How the hell does that make sense, sounds to me like you are the one that is obsessing over serena :rolleyes:
Justinefan, it's okay to be obsessed over a favorite, but it's not okay to make things up and over empasize what's going on for your fave and undervalue what's going on in favor of the opponent. Just be realistic and tell the truth. In my case, I would never devalue Justine's backhand or her abilities on clay. Why are ys and Vass doing this to Serena? It's just being unrealistic and making them look like idiots.

Justinefan
Apr 2nd, 2004, 08:35 PM
Reasons I think Elena will win:
1. She is currently moving better than Serena
2. Everytime Elena's serve was broken in the Venus match, she broke back, with the exception of once, and let's not get into that again..
3. I think her serves will cause a bit of a problem for Serena, Serena likes pace, lena's serve has none of that.
4. Elena has a great groundstroke game, you all can deny it if you want, but when i watched her play Venus she was dominating the points from the baseline

That is just what I think, please don't attack my opinion but feel free to state your own.

bandabou
Apr 2nd, 2004, 08:38 PM
Exactly......Serena may not be at her old level, but always when she got challenged sofar, she raised her level....and I expect that for tomorrow too.

Justinefan
Justinefan, it's okay to be obsessed over a favorite, but it's not okay to make things up and over empasize what's going on for your fave and undervalue what's going on in favor of the opponent. Just be realistic and tell the truth. In my case, I would never devalue Justine's backhand or her abilities on clay. Why are ys and Vass doing this to Serena? It's just being unrealistic and making them look like idiots.
Okay, well i can except that. just the way you stated it made it sound like it wasn't okay for them to be obsessed. Although I do think Elena will come out on top tomorrow, Serena definitely can't be undervalued as you said, Your exactly right, She has definitely shocked everyone by coming back as well as she has. i just think Elena is being underestimated as well. We all know her serve is terrible, so no one can deny that or argue otherwise, even she knows that. but it's always been that way, she's made it to the top 10 despite that. That has to count for something. I really do think it'll be a close match tomorrow.

alextreiber04
Serena was just shitty at moving in the semi's! There is a big differnce between a final and the semi's Serena even admitted she was being lazy on TV! For gods sake...Serena is no. 1 and don't you even deny that she isn't the best player Tennis has seen...she is going to take this final and easily!

alextreiber04
Apr 2nd, 2004, 08:40 PM
Okay, well i can except that. just the way you stated it made it sound like it wasn't okay for them to be obsessed. Although I do think Elena will come out on top tomorrow, Serena definitely can't be undervalued as you said, Your exactly right, She has definitely shocked everyone by coming back as well as she has. i just think Elena is being underestimated as well. We all know her serve is terrible, so no one can deny that or argue otherwise, even she knows that. but it's always been that way, she's made it to the top 10 despite that. That has to count for something. I really do think it'll be a close match tomorrow.

The real fact is that she has made the Top 10 without beating Serena.

Justinefan
Apr 2nd, 2004, 08:44 PM
Serena was just shitty at moving in the semi's! There is a big differnce between a final and the semi's Serena even admitted she was being lazy on TV! For gods sake...Serena is no. 1 and don't you even deny that she isn't the best player Tennis has seen...she is going to take this final and easily!
SERENA THE BEST PLAYER TENNIS HAS SEEN, Like hell i won't deny that! That is the worst statement i've ever read on this board. and some how i'm not shocked serena said she was being lazy on tv. If she loses it's b/c she wasn't playing well, not b/c the other person was good. or if it's close it's b/c of her, not b/c eleni is a decent player who challenged ms. serena. It's never b/c someone elses skill, it's b/c she didn't do it right. I can't wait till Elena wins so i can rub it in your face. and if serena comes out on top, good for her, impressive comeback. but as for you.. i don't even know what to say

Justinefan
Apr 2nd, 2004, 08:44 PM
The real fact is that she has made the Top 10 without beating Serena.
Tough to beat someone who never plays..

"Topaz"
Apr 2nd, 2004, 08:47 PM
Elena is a 3rd tier top player. In this tourney she has shown some brilliance and mustered some good wins to the point where some of her fans would think she's in transition to 2nd tier. Serena, on the other hand, is recovering to her previous 1st tier position. The crux of the problem is that people don't know where Serena stands as of now in her recovery. Has she reached 3rd tier yet? Is she around 2nd tier? Where is She? Nobody knows. In the absence of evidence, every opinion jumps to the fore.

In less than a day, this will be settled. For now let's look at this.

ROAD TO THE FINAL

(1) SERENA WILLIAMS (USA #6)
R96: Bye
R64: d. (Q) Marta Marrero (ESP #83) 61 60 (0:42)
R32: d. (31) Elena Likhovtseva (RUS #42) 61 46 63 (1:47)
R16: d. (17) Maria Sharapova (RUS #23) 64 63 (1:15)
QF: d. Jill Craybas (USA #73) 60 61 (0:55)
SF: d. (25) Eleni Daniilidou (GRE #35) 64 64 (1:23)
Total games: 91
Won-lost: 64-27, ratio: 2.37
Total time on court: 6:02

(5) ELENA DEMENTIEVA (RUS #8)
R64: d. (Q) Ruxandra Dragomir Ilie (ROM #446) 64 61 (1:14)
R32: d. (26) Maria Sánchez Lorenzo (ESP #34) 64 63 (1:39)
R16: d. (12) Jelena Dokic (SCG #16) 57 61 63 (1:51)
QF: d. (2) Venus Williams (USA #17) 63 57 76(3) (2:29)
SF: d. (8) Nadia Petrova (RUS #11) 64 62 (1:27)
Total games: 116
Won-lost: 71-45, ratio: 1.58
Total time on court: 8:40

Elena almost succumbed to Dokic and Venus, which somehow confirms her 3rd tier status. Meanwhile, Serena, with a win/loss ratio of 2.37 (vs 1.58 for Elena) doesn't give any hint as to where she is exactly. Personally, I expected her to be below 3rd tier in this tourney. She has amazed me and everybody else and proven to be at least 2nd tier material by her first rate serves, her well known sharp angles on the run, and her defensive performance when she feels she has to raise her game.

The match tomorrow will determine this for us. In the mean time, going by the above analysis, I would expect a 2nd tier top player to defeat a 3rd tier one.

joao
Apr 2nd, 2004, 08:48 PM
I don't know why people take Dementieva-Venus match as a reference for Dementieva's form. If anything, it would tell me that Dementieva is NOT playing well ... that match was horribly played by both players ... tons and tons of UEs, tons and tons of DF ... very few winners ... Dementieva won because Venus lacked confidence at the end ... very rarely Venus has served for a match and didn't win it ... very rarely Venus has lost a match after having a match point! And those 3 consecutives DF by Venus while serving for the match ... what a gift! Dementieva got lucky ... but credit to her for hanging there! venus self-destructed at the end and that's why IMO Dementieva won!

Unfortunately, ESPN didn't show Dementieva-Petrova's match ... I think people should actually use that scoreline as argument for "why Dementieva" might defeat Serena tomorrow. Petrova had been playing apparently very well and lost in straight sets against Elena.

The only way I see Serena losing though is if she plays like she played against Likhovtseva or Daniilidou (more UEs, not moving well, looked tired a bit). Dementieva has a very poor serve but off the ground she looks very consistent and accurate right now and that could be a probelem for Serena if Serena is not serving well on top of that!

Justinefan
Apr 2nd, 2004, 08:52 PM
Elena is a 3rd tier top player. In this tourney she has shown some brilliance and mustered some good wins to the point where some of her fans would think she's in transition to 2nd tier. Serena, on the other hand, is recovering to her previous 1st tier position. The crux of the problem is that people don't know where Serena stands as of now in her recovery. Has she reached 3rd tier yet? Is she around 2nd tier? Where is She? Nobody knows. In the absence of evidence, every opinion jumps to the fore.

In less than a day, this will be settled. For now let's look at this.

ROAD TO THE FINAL

(1) SERENA WILLIAMS (USA #6)
R64: d. (Q) Marta Marrero (ESP #83) 61 60 (0:42)
R32: d. (31) Elena Likhovtseva (RUS #42) 61 46 63 (1:47)
R16: d. (17) Maria Sharapova (RUS #23) 64 63 (1:15)
QF: d. Jill Craybas (USA #73) 60 61 (0:55)
SF: d. (25) Eleni Daniilidou (GRE #35) 64 64 (1:23)
Total games: 91
Won-lost: 64-27, ratio: 2.37
Total time on court: 6:02

(5) ELENA DEMENTIEVA (RUS #8)
R64: d. (Q) Ruxandra Dragomir Ilie (ROM #446) 64 61 (1:14)
R32: d. (26) Maria Sánchez Lorenzo (ESP #34) 64 63 (1:39)
R16: d. (12) Jelena Dokic (SCG #16) 57 61 63 (1:51)
QF: d. (2) Venus Williams (USA #17) 63 57 76(3) (2:29)
SF: d. (8) Nadia Petrova (RUS #11) 64 62 (1:27)
Total games: 116
Won-lost: 71-45, ratio: 1.58
Total time on court: 8:40

Elena almost succumbed to Dokic and Venus, which somehow confirms her 3rd tier status. Meanwhile, Serena, with a win/loss ratio of 2.37 (vs 1.58 for Elena) doesn't give any hint as to where she is exactly. Personally, I expected her to be below 3rd tier in this tourney. She has amazed me and everybody else and proven to be at least 2nd tier material by her first rate serves, her well known sharp angles on the run, and her defensive performance when she feels she has to raise her game.

The match tomorrow will determine this for us. In the mean time, going by the above analysis, I would expect a 2nd tier top player to defeat a 3rd tier one.
How many different threads are you going to post this in :rolleyes:

Justinefan
Apr 2nd, 2004, 08:55 PM
I don't know why people take Dementieva-Venus match as a reference for Dementieva's form. If anything, it would tell me that Dementieva is NOT playing well ... that match was horribly played by both players ... tons and tons of UEs, tons and tons of DF ... very few winners ... Dementieva won because Venus lacked confidence at the end ... very rarely Venus has served for a match and didn't win it ... very rarely Venus has lost a match after having a match point! And those 3 consecutives DF by Venus while serving for the match ... what a gift! Dementieva got lucky ... but credit to her for hanging there! venus self-destructed at the end and that's why IMO Dementieva won!

Unfortunately, ESPN didn't show Dementieva-Petrova's match ... I think people should actually use that scoreline as argument for "why Dementieva" might defeat Serena tomorrow. Petrova had been playing apparently very well and lost in straight sets against Elena.

The only way I see Serena losing though is if she plays like she played against Likhovtseva or Daniilidou (more UEs, not moving well, looked tired a bit). Dementieva has a very poor serve but off the ground she looks very consistent and accurate right now and that could be a probelem for Serena if Serena is not serving well on top of that!

People use it b/c it proves that Elena despite her double faults, which everytime anyone players her they get about a million gifts.. so Venus's doublefaults averaged out to elena's. but if you saw the match Elena played a great ground game, Venus could rarely come in, she pushed her to the back of the baseline. and the fact that elena was was able to come back from 3-0 in the second and do it again in the third, then win a tiebreaker, is showing a change from her usual mental game.

DeDe4925
Apr 2nd, 2004, 08:59 PM
Well it depends if Serena kills those sucky 2nd SERves from Elena..if she's hittin winners or comin to net and finishin the volley after returnin those 2nd SERves..she's got a chance..but if she's missin the return to the net or overhittin..Expect Elena to hang on with her Good Ass Groundstrokes and attackin SErena's Forehand which is her weaker shot... so I'm predictin...HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMm.... 6-4 7-5 Serena!!!!!!!!!! Go SErena ! U ARE THE BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Serena's forehand...weak??!! :eek: :eek:

"Topaz"
Apr 2nd, 2004, 09:03 PM
How many different threads are you going to post this in :rolleyes:This is the first and only time. I think you should take a break from this board. You're very tired or worse...