PDA

View Full Version : Venus calls it quits. OMG HEART ATTACK

venusfan
Apr 1st, 2004, 10:17 PM
:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:
Former world number one Venus Williams has announced her retirement from tennis.

Venus has ruled out a return to top-flight tennis, saying it would be "unimaginable".

"A return to high level competition is unimaginable. So there you go ... it is finished. Life goes on," the former world number one told Tonya Harden at the Miami Harold on Thursday.

Venus returned to the tour in January at the Australian Open after a stomach muscle injury prevented her from competing since losing to sister Serena in the Wimbledon final last year. However, her return in January was not a success as during her 3rd round 4-6,6-7 defeat to Lisa Raymond she aggravated the muscle. She believes she will never be able to get fit enough to play at the highest level again and so is calling it quits.

"I have been at the top long enough to know exactly what that entails and I am now incapable of it," she said.

"When you have been number one and in the top ten for 5 years you cannot be happy with less. I have ceased training as of yesterday's defeat to Dementieva.

"In my last two tournaments, in Miami and Tokyo, I was completely out of it, tired, lose, inconsistent erratic. I wasn't even able to finish my 2nd match in Tokyo" she added.

"Here in Miami I tried to play my game against Dementieva but as soon as I started giving a little bit more it became too hard ... impossible."

"There is no question at all of envisaging a possible comeback to the level where I was two years ago. At least that is the situation right now," she added.

Finally free of the strict training regime which has ruled her life, Venus is plunging herself into study and relishing the opportunity to explore other interests.

"At the moment my priority in life is no longer tennis but studying," Venus says.

"The tennis has been an important part of my life but now another life is starting.

"I don't want anyone to feel sorry for me, I have a superb life even without sport and I am happy.

"I have no regrets at all. Tennis gave me so much - a magnificent life. A new life starts, I am happy, so happy. How could I not be?

"I have money and I live in a country that I love ... what more could I ask?"

Pureracket
Apr 1st, 2004, 10:19 PM
Lol!!!!!!

bw2082
Apr 1st, 2004, 10:20 PM
what a bunch of bullshit

flyingmachine
:eek: Are you sure.

sartrista7
Late! It's not April 1 any more.

Tonya Harden, though :lol:

alextreiber04
Say bye-bye to your green dots :)

Lelu
Apr 1st, 2004, 10:21 PM
Any takers for an April Fool's joke?

WF4EVER
Apr 1st, 2004, 10:22 PM
I think we've all caught on to the April Fool thing. Nice try, though.

BTW you forgot to name the news agaency you work for.

Lapin
Apr 1st, 2004, 10:29 PM
:lol: The Miami 'Harold'??? :confused: Wouldn't it be the Miami 'Herald'?? ;)

This is a late 'April Fool's' joke right?

MrSerenaWilliams
Apr 1st, 2004, 10:35 PM
R U SERIOUS?

I'm so pissed that this is a joke, I was almost in tears, without Venus, the class of the WTA drops drastically, and that's the end of a doubles dynasty w/ Vee and Ree on the same side of the net. Besides, they're on Fed Cup, she wouldn't retire, she knows how much another doubles gold medal would mean to Ree. Nice Joke, you got me!

esquímaux
Apr 1st, 2004, 10:41 PM
April Fools :aparty:

venusfan
Apr 1st, 2004, 10:42 PM
Tonya Harden ? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

An old Hingis retirement article.

sartrista7
Apr 1st, 2004, 10:44 PM
Tonya Harden ? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

An old Hingis retirement article.

I thought some of the phrases were familiar! The "return to top-flight tennis", the "plunging herself into study"...

WhatTheDeuce
Apr 1st, 2004, 11:05 PM
Can't be more obvious.

Sanneriet
Apr 1st, 2004, 11:07 PM
Still april 1st here.

Cam'ron Giles
Apr 1st, 2004, 11:26 PM
I almost had a fucking heart attack you prick...:lol:

**Shotta reaches for a ciggy**

New
Apr 1st, 2004, 11:42 PM
I was fooled too!

Janet
Apr 1st, 2004, 11:48 PM
You guys fool me too I forgot it was April fool today..........my eyes popped out I know one day she will call it quits but not right know..........but good fools jokes who ever started it............

DunkMachine
Apr 2nd, 2004, 05:56 AM
Dupe!!!!!

DeDe4925
Apr 2nd, 2004, 06:16 AM
:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:
Former world number one Venus Williams has announced her retirement from tennis.

Venus has ruled out a return to top-flight tennis, saying it would be "unimaginable".

"A return to high level competition is unimaginable. So there you go ... it is finished. Life goes on," the former world number one told Tonya Harden at the Miami Harold on Thursday.

Venus returned to the tour in January at the Australian Open after a stomach muscle injury prevented her from competing since losing to sister Serena in the Wimbledon final last year. However, her return in January was not a success as during her 3rd round 4-6,6-7 defeat to Lisa Raymond she aggravated the muscle. She believes she will never be able to get fit enough to play at the highest level again and so is calling it quits.

"I have been at the top long enough to know exactly what that entails and I am now incapable of it," she said.

"When you have been number one and in the top ten for 5 years you cannot be happy with less. I have ceased training as of yesterday's defeat to Dementieva.

"In my last two tournaments, in Miami and Tokyo, I was completely out of it, tired, lose, inconsistent erratic. I wasn't even able to finish my 2nd match in Tokyo" she added.

"Here in Miami I tried to play my game against Dementieva but as soon as I started giving a little bit more it became too hard ... impossible."

"There is no question at all of envisaging a possible comeback to the level where I was two years ago. At least that is the situation right now," she added.

Finally free of the strict training regime which has ruled her life, Venus is plunging herself into study and relishing the opportunity to explore other interests.

"At the moment my priority in life is no longer tennis but studying," Venus says.

"The tennis has been an important part of my life but now another life is starting.

"I don't want anyone to feel sorry for me, I have a superb life even without sport and I am happy.

"I have no regrets at all. Tennis gave me so much - a magnificent life. A new life starts, I am happy, so happy. How could I not be?

"I have money and I live in a country that I love ... what more could I ask?"
Okay, you got me. I almost started crying. Geez. DAMMIT!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I've been playing April fools jokes on friends and family all day and until now, have not been duped. Well, I was fooled. hehehehe
Good one. Thanks to the posters who noticed immediately. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mattographer
Apr 2nd, 2004, 06:20 AM
I knew it's not true before I came into this thread :p

Ruski
Apr 2nd, 2004, 06:21 AM
LOL!!! I love it!!! :D

SerialKiller#69
Apr 2nd, 2004, 06:22 AM
Tsk tsk..