PDA

View Full Version : WTA to change ranking system next year

JennyS
Apr 1st, 2004, 03:10 PM
I just read this article:

WTA announces new ranking system for 2005

In an attempt to please all the naysayers, the WTA has decided to scrap its best-of-seventeen rankings for a new and improved system that has the tennis world abuzz. This complicated system, developed by the same people who created the BCS rankings will be used beginning next year.

In the new system, points earned in Grand Slams will count for 30%, the best additional 13 tournaments will count for 50%, win percentage will determine 15% of a player’s score, while the final 5% will be determined by brownie points.

ESPN commentator and former doubles superstar Pam Shriver thinks counting win percentage is the biggest improvement in the ranking system. “Just think that in the past, you could erase your worst results. Now they will all count as part of the win-loss record. So even though they are only counting 17 tournaments for the first 80%, all the tournaments are essentially counting.”

Jennifer Capriati said, “I’m glad Slams are going to count for such a significant percent. However, I think everyone is going to be kissing Larry’s (expletive) to rack up those brownie points.”

Serena Williams has a solution to the rankings mess. “Just count the Grand Slams and the best 5 other tournaments. I think that would be the most accurate way to determine rankings.”

Kim Clijsters said, “I think the old rankings were good and the new rankings are even better. The brownie points idea is pure genius.”

Players will obtain brownie points by showing good sportsmanship, keeping media commitments with the tour and going the extra distance to promote the game. Tour CEO Larry Scott thinks the new rankings will be a major improvement. “I think the new rankings will be the most accurate ranking system the sport has ever seen. Plus, what’s not to like about rewarding good sportsmanship and strong character?

XaDavK_Kapri
Apr 1st, 2004, 03:29 PM
:haha:

UDiTY
Apr 1st, 2004, 03:34 PM
Kim Clijsters said, “I think the old rankings were good and the new rankings are even better. The brownie points idea is pure genius.
With brownie points Kim will sure be #1 for awhile!!!:lol:

Andy T
Apr 1st, 2004, 03:41 PM
It's April 1st, right?

QUEENLINDSAY
Apr 1st, 2004, 03:45 PM
LOL!!!!! very creative!!!!

vogus
Apr 1st, 2004, 04:01 PM
don't ever try to get a job writing comedy

Hulet
Apr 1st, 2004, 04:03 PM
Bah...until the Jenn comments you had me going. Good work. :)

jrm
Apr 1st, 2004, 05:46 PM
Bah...until the Jenn comments you had me going. Good work. :)

Yes, the credibility of the story was in doubt when Jennifer had a comment to it!

paul_masterton
Apr 1st, 2004, 06:31 PM
the funny thing is, take out the brownie points and u've got a good ranking system, lol. although maybe gs count for 2 much as only 256 get to play them, and there are around 1176 girls with rankings

paul_masterton
Apr 1st, 2004, 06:31 PM
i forgot to congratulate u on ur use of april fools so ill do that now

congrats!

1jackson2001
Apr 1st, 2004, 06:53 PM
lol you had me going even AFTER reading Jen's expletives! lmao

It wasn't until reading some of the replies in this thread that a light bulb went on in my head that alluded to the attempted comedic effect. ;)

Brian Stewart
Apr 3rd, 2004, 08:47 AM
How many bonus points for swimsuit pics, etc?

Monica_Rules
Apr 3rd, 2004, 10:03 AM
Lmao!

slice
Apr 3rd, 2004, 01:05 PM
poor stevenson then :haha:

Bright Red
Apr 3rd, 2004, 01:30 PM
Nice. Very nice. :bounce:

moby
Apr 3rd, 2004, 02:09 PM
it might be a joke but it is really a pretty good idea. maybe the last 5% could be win-loss against the top 10 or something. and quality points are bonus.

LindsayRocks89
Apr 3rd, 2004, 02:11 PM
it might be a joke but it is really a pretty good idea. maybe the last 5% could be win-loss against the top 10 or something. and quality points are bonus.

it was just an april fools thing ;)

moby
Apr 3rd, 2004, 02:18 PM
i know... but it really is a good idea :o