PDA

View Full Version : Pick the US Olympic squad (combination of four singles).

Stefwhit
Apr 1st, 2004, 12:27 PM
From the above possible combinations, select the team you feel would best represent the US in the olympics this year.

Before selecting you have to assume each player is HEALTHY- in good physical condition and each player wants to compete. Who do you go with? (I tried to get everyone in there...lol)

Gowza
Apr 1st, 2004, 12:37 PM
it has to be out of venus, serena, jen, lindsay, monica and possbily stevenson (if she happens to be on she would be hard to beat) however to pick 4 well i would pick definately serena, lindsay and venus and then the 4th person would be between jen and monica but since monica hasnt comeback yet and jen has done better of the last 3 years i would pick jen for the 4th player.

GermanBoy
Apr 1st, 2004, 12:45 PM
Are they allowed to go to Athens with 4 players? What is the size of the draw? I mean a draw of 64 players and the big nations are allowed to send 4 players the draw is full with just a few nations. That`s not the way I want to see an Olympic tennis tournament. We also need nations like the small ones with only one player in the Top 100 e. g.

I think a draw with 96 players like the one in Miami would fit best.

The answer to your question: I voted for Venus, Serena, Jennifer and Lindsay.

Stefwhit
Apr 1st, 2004, 12:46 PM
I can think of multiple combinations of US players and for various reasons....far too many combination to list. But from the ones I chose it would be between (Serena, Lindsay, JCap, Seles) or (Serena, Lindsay, Venus, JCap). Truthfully I'd prefer (Serena, Lindsay, Venus, Seles) but since I didn't list that combination I'd have to go with (Serena, Lindsay, JCap, Seles).... this is too hard, i feel sorry for Zina.

jrm
Apr 1st, 2004, 12:50 PM
i have read that anyone who wants to participate in Athens must play Fed Cup!

bandabou
Apr 1st, 2004, 12:53 PM
I think one player is SURE to get picked up by everybody: Serena...below that you can make some calls for anybody. The best team they can send is: Serena, Lindsay, Venus and Jen...but since she isnīt playing FC, that gets trickier.

Stefwhit
Apr 1st, 2004, 12:53 PM
Are they allowed to go to Athens with 4 players? What is the size of the draw? I mean a draw of 64 players and the big nations are allowed to send 4 players the draw is full with just a few nations. That`s not the way I want to see an Olympic tennis tournament. We also need nations like the small ones with only one player in the Top 100 e. g.

I think a draw with 96 players like the one in Miami would fit best.

The answer to your question: I voted for Venus, Serena, Jennifer and Lindsay.
Source: http://www.espnstar.com/jsp/cda/tennis/aid=924642tennis_newsdetail.html

The US will not name their teams until June 28. Both men's and women's teams will be made up of four singles players, a separate doubles combination, and a doubles team made up from the singles team.

Stefwhit
Apr 1st, 2004, 12:59 PM
Why do they have a doubles team made up from singles as well as a seperate doubles combination??? I didn't know they did that.

GermanBoy
Apr 1st, 2004, 01:03 PM
The US will not name their teams until June 28. Both men's and women's teams will be made up of four singles players, a separate doubles combination, and a doubles team made up from the singles team.

I like the fact that the US can send 4 players because I am sure Venus and Serena are selected by Garrison or by BJK before. I want Jennifer and Lindsay to go because both girls deserve it.

Why do they make up two doules teams? IMO that means the US have a better chance to win medalls. That is an unfair advantage. With all big nations allowed to select 4 singles players and 2 doubles teams the draws are full. That is not an Olympic tournament, it is a WTA tournament. :rolleyes:

CapFan#1
Apr 1st, 2004, 02:36 PM
I think one player is SURE to get picked up by everybody: Serena...below that you can make some calls for anybody. The best team they can send is: Serena, Lindsay, Venus and Jen...but since she isnīt playing FC, that gets trickier.:rolleyes:

Actually, the rules state that you need to have played or made yourself available to play Fed Cup in the last 3 years, which Jen has done both, so she is more than eligible, and as Zina has stated that BJK will be part of Fed Cup, but NOT the Olympics, and she has changed the rules that Jen had issue with BJK, it is fairly obvious that Zina would like to see Jen on the squad!

tennisjunky
Apr 3rd, 2004, 07:35 AM
Injuries will no doubt help Zina in picking the squad. We have to send our best but too bad we can't send someone that's never been it's a great experience for those lucky enough to go.

Mr_Molik
Apr 3rd, 2004, 07:44 AM
its pretty likely one of the big 4(vee,serena,linds and jcap) will be injured, so i would pick chanda for replacement and monica next replacement if required

darrinbaker00
Apr 3rd, 2004, 08:48 AM
IF BILLIE JEAN KING ISN'T INVOLVED
Singles: Venus, Serena, Lindsay, J-Cap
Doubles: Raymond/Navratilova, Venus/Serena

IF BILLIE JEAN KING IS INVOLVED
Singles: Venus, Serena, Lindsay, Chanda Rubin
Doubles: same as above

IF ZINA GARRISON GETS MILITANT WITH IT
Singles: Venus, Serena, Rubin, Alex Stevenson
Doubles: Venus/Serena, Garrison/Lori McNeil
Alternates: Shenay Perry, Jamea Jackson, Angela Haynes, Shadisha Robinson

tennisjunky
Apr 3rd, 2004, 09:15 AM
"men's and women's teams will be made up of four singles players, a separate doubles combination, and a doubles team made up from the singles team."

Who do the doubles team made up singles players end up playing?

daniela86
Apr 3rd, 2004, 09:17 AM
Serena,Lindsay,Venus,Jenny Cap

daniela86
Apr 3rd, 2004, 09:18 AM
Doubles:
Davenport/Morariu
Venus/Serena
or Davenport/Martina Navratilova

tennisjunky
Apr 3rd, 2004, 09:39 AM
Doubles:
Davenport/Morariu
Venus/Serena
or Davenport/Martina Navratilova
If you want to do what's "right" and fair you should take Raymond/Navratilova
If you want to guarentee a win then you should take Williams/Williams
If you want to be controversal then take Davenport/Morariu
If you want to think outside the box then take Serena/Martina
If you want to live dangerously then take Stevenson/Frazier

bandabou
Apr 3rd, 2004, 09:41 AM
:rolleyes: [/b]

Actually, the rules state that you need to have played or made yourself available to play Fed Cup in the last 3 years, which Jen has done both, so she is more than eligible, and as Zina has stated that BJK will be part of Fed Cup, but NOT the Olympics, and she has changed the rules that Jen had issue with BJK, it is fairly obvious that Zina would like to see Jen on the squad!

Aah...o.k., I would love to see her on the team too.

bandabou
Apr 3rd, 2004, 09:42 AM
If you want to do what's "right" and fair you should take Raymond/Navratilova
If you want to guarentee a win then you should take Williams/Williams
If you want to be controversal then take Davenport/Morariu
If you want to think outside the box then take Serena/Martina
If you want to live dangerously then take Stevenson/Frazier

Thereīs no right or fair in this....thereīs WINNING! And the sisters have shown they can win....Martina N/Raymond havenīt shown much of anything, besides losing to crap teams, yet.

GermanBoy
Apr 3rd, 2004, 09:53 AM
For what do we need the second Doubles team composed of two Singles players? I don`t get that? Does each country have two teams? :confused:

MLF
Apr 3rd, 2004, 09:58 AM
Thereīs no right or fair in this....thereīs WINNING! And the sisters have shown they can win....Martina N/Raymond havenīt shown much of anything, besides losing to crap teams, yet.

Wrong again :yawn: The only pairs to have beaten Martina & Lisa are Davenport & Morariu, Black & Stubbs ( who they have beaten themselves ), Myskina & Zvonareva and Kuznetsova & Likhovtseva - all good and respectable pairings.

For doubles I'd let Venus & Serena defend their title as you know they'll play well and also send the top ranked US pair of Raymond & Navratilova. If either pair can't play then you put in Davenport & Morariu though whether Lindsay would want singles & doubles at the Olympics is open to question.

bandabou
Apr 3rd, 2004, 10:02 AM
Wrong again :yawn: The only pairs to have beaten Martina & Lisa are Davenport & Morariu, Black & Stubbs ( who they have beaten themselves ), Myskina & Zvonareva and Kuznetsova & Likhovtseva - all good and respectable pairings.

For doubles I'd let Venus & Serena defend their title as you know they'll play well and also send the top ranked US pair of Raymond & Navratilova. If either pair can't play then you put in Davenport & Morariu though whether Lindsay would want singles & doubles at the Olympics is open to question.

Aight..got it, but do Lisa/Martina N have any titles or even finals?!

#1 Lindsay
Apr 3rd, 2004, 10:04 AM
so what if there is a doubles team eg. nav and raymaond and the singles are
venus serena lindsay and jennifer can lindsay play with morariu ???

MLF
Apr 3rd, 2004, 10:04 AM
Aight..got it, but do Lisa/Martina N have any titles or even finals?!

Yeah, they won in Philadelphia last year. Their results are definitely those of one of the top 4-6 pairings in the world.

bandabou
Apr 3rd, 2004, 10:26 AM
Yeah, they won in Philadelphia last year. Their results are definitely those of one of the top 4-6 pairings in the world.

Yep...but Williams/Williams is top 2! ;) :p

Belgium = Best
Apr 3rd, 2004, 11:22 AM
Serena, Lindsay, JCap, Chanda

:wavey:

MLF
Apr 3rd, 2004, 12:45 PM
Yep...but Williams/Williams is top 2! ;) :pHey I know, but I did say Williams/Williams & Raymond/Navratilova should be the two Olympic doubles teams for the US.

Glenn
Apr 3rd, 2004, 12:48 PM
I picked the third option.

tennisjunky
Apr 3rd, 2004, 12:52 PM
I picked the third option.
Yeah the third option would do very well in Greece. That would be a good team and plus you're giving Chanda a chance to compete as well. I would be OK with that squad.

bandabou
Apr 3rd, 2004, 12:55 PM
Hey I know, but I did say Williams/Williams & Raymond/Navratilova should be the two Olympic doubles teams for the US.

Ok...

tennisjunky
Apr 3rd, 2004, 12:58 PM
why Do They Have Two Doubles Teams???