PDA

View Full Version : can anyone tell me about the feud between Patty and Anna?

Slumpsova
Apr 1st, 2004, 09:42 AM
i'd love to know what's wrong with them and how did it happen?:confused:

thanks

SpikeyAidanm
Apr 1st, 2004, 09:46 AM
This is not the reason but one of the occurences, Schett was playing with Hornikova in dubs, B4 the match Patty asked Schett to give her a high ball so she could whack Hornikova.

Slumpsova
Apr 1st, 2004, 10:01 AM
This is not the reason but one of the occurences, Schett was playing with Hornikova in dubs, B4 the match Patty asked Schett to give her a high ball so she could whack Hornikova.
really?:lol:

god, it makes me more curious

ALPHA
Apr 1st, 2004, 10:15 AM
i'd love to know what's wrong with them and how did it happen?:confused:

thanks

First of all, Kournikova is my favorite player, same time I like to watch Schnyders game.

It's too many years back, that's why I can't remember the exact story. As far as I know, it never was made public (interviews etc) by either player anyway - so it's more or less rumors.

The thing I do remember people over here talking about was that Patty asked Anna to play doubles with her at an event (must have been way back in 1997 or 1998) and Anna was reported to say NO in a rather bitchy way.

After that, it was always Schnyder to have a problem with Kournikova, NOT the other way around. Schnyder admitted to have a problem playing Kournikova (staying calm, keeping focus or whatever) while Anna, asked about these comments, always told the interviewers that she does not have a problem with Schnyder.

So it's pretty much a one-way story of problem.

I don't think that there's much of a problem left for Schnyder nowadays anyway, since Kournikova is out of the game for so many months and their last meeting dates back to 1999 Roland Garros as far as I remember.

Well, bottom line: They are no friends and for sure won't become friends in this life.

jimbo mack
Apr 1st, 2004, 01:19 PM
:boxing:

hingis-seles
Apr 1st, 2004, 01:24 PM
Anna beat Patty 6-0, 6-2 in Amelia Island in 1999 and Patty said after the match that she didn't even try because she can't stand Anna. The match lasted around 40 minutes and it was obvious that Patty had tanked.

GermanBoy
Apr 1st, 2004, 01:26 PM
Look at Schnyder and then look at Kournikova! That`s the reason! :lol:

Experimentee
Apr 1st, 2004, 01:32 PM
I heard that Patty asked Anna to play doubles with her, and Anna refused, and she said it in a way that implied that she was too good for Patty.

I know about the tanking thing too, I dont understand why you'd tank a match to someone you hate, shouldnt that make you want to beat them even more? :shrug:

Mateo Mathieu
Apr 1st, 2004, 01:43 PM
Actually, Anna turns Patty down because she's not in Top 50! :rolleyes:

WhatTheDeuce
Apr 1st, 2004, 01:54 PM
Yes, Matthew. :haha:

Gandalf
Apr 1st, 2004, 02:33 PM
It was in '96, Patty asked Anna to play doubles and she said 'I don't play doubles with players ranked lower than me'. Then Anna lost to Patty in Fed Cup and said 'If I keep losing to players like her, I won't even make the top 60'. And that's why Patty said that she hated Anna and blew many of their matches (in Charleston '99 she won the tiebreak in the 1st 7-6, and then lost 6-0, 6-3; a week later lost 6-0, 6-2; and at the French Open Patty was seeded and Anna wasn't, they played in the 3rd round and Anna won again-it was then when Patty said that she couldn't stand Anna).

Tompier
Apr 1st, 2004, 02:38 PM
Anna was playing sooo good that time :inlove: Patty had a good 1998 year I think, but still for me Patty is a jealous bitch

ALPHA
Apr 1st, 2004, 02:43 PM
It was in '96, Patty asked Anna to play doubles and she said 'I don't play doubles with players ranked lower than me'. Then Anna lost to Patty in Fed Cup and said 'If I keep losing to players like her, I won't even make the top 60'. And that's why Patty said that she hated Anna and blew many of their matches (in Charleston '99 she won the tiebreak in the 1st 7-6, and then lost 6-0, 6-3; a week later lost 6-0, 6-2; and at the French Open Patty was seeded and Anna wasn't, they played in the 3rd round and Anna won again-it was then when Patty said that she couldn't stand Anna).
I watched the Hilton Head 1999 match and the Roland Garros 3rd Rd match between them on TV, and one thing's for sure: Patty didn't tank these matches.
About Amelia Island 1999, I can't tell the story. Never watched it.

vogus
Apr 1st, 2004, 03:36 PM
it wasn't just a one way thing, it was a two-way hate fest for a long time at the start of their careers. The first two times they played each other (at a 75K challenger in '95 and then again at a Fed Cup match in '96), Patty defeated Anna in hard-fought bitter contests. After the Fed Cup match, Anna was talking trash about Patty, saying something to the effect of, "if i keep losing to players like that, i'm never going to make it on the tour." When Patty and Anna played each other for the first time on the WTA, at Amelia Island in '98, Anna crushed Patty like 6-1 6-2, and Patty basically went nuts after the match, complaining that Anna's entourage had been harassing her from the stands and some other stuff.

Then they played again at Amelia the following year, which is the well known incident where Patty supposedly tanked. But i have that match on video, and honestly it was more that Anna was just playing great tennis and totally kicking Patty's butt for about the first five games, and THEN Patty starting tanking when she got frustrated that nothing was working for her that day. In the post match interview Anna looked piqued by questions about their personal animosity, and she had the nerve to lie and say that "I've never lost to her [Schnyder]."

They played once more, at RG that same year, with Anna beating Patty by a bagel in the third set, and in the years since then it has been a one-way thing, with Patty making openly bitchy remarks about Anna to anybody who would listen, and Anna basically taking the high road in response, denying that anything ever happened. Patty got quoted in the press saying stuff like, "You should see everybody smiling in the locker room after Anna loses, nobody likes her." and "I have a lot of friends on tour. We all get along except for Anna. But that's ok, who needs her?"

As recently as Zurich '02, Patty said something like, "Kournikova is a disaster of a human being." But in the last couple of years, Patty has changed a lot, she has turned into quite the diva in her own right, and maybe she has finally realized that it's pointless to go on and on criticizing Anna in such a public way - i just hope for Patty's sake that she has finally gotten over this.

jrm
Apr 1st, 2004, 06:47 PM
If looks could kill - the SF's of Hilton Head 1999

Vass22
Apr 1st, 2004, 07:01 PM
Anna was playing sooo good that time :inlove: Patty had a good 1998 year I think, but still for me Patty is a jealous bitch
Even after reading what Anna said? I'm a big fan of Anna (you can read my previus post about her: all with :hearts:) but I'd say that she was the "bitch" in that situation, not Schnyder.
Anyway, Schnyder's no better: tanking coz you hate the opponent. She should have been doing the oppposite.

Veritas
Apr 1st, 2004, 08:24 PM
I don't care whether Anna was not courteous enough for Schnyder when she said 'no' to playing doubles.

That does not excuse wacking a ball that could've knocked Anna out literally. By all means, hold a grudge if you want, but just don't be so immature to the point you'd plan to hand them a serious injury.

Vass22
Apr 1st, 2004, 08:47 PM
I don't care whether Anna was not courteous enough for Schnyder when she said 'no' to playing doubles.

That does not excuse wacking a ball that could've knocked Anna out literally. By all means, hold a grudge if you want, but just don't be so immature to the point you'd plan to hand them a serious injury.
True

Rothes
Apr 2nd, 2004, 04:36 AM
It's quite funny and because their is a little story behind the doubes match with Barbera, Patty, and Anna,

Schett and Patty are the best of friends, real close actually, They have been since they were in their teens, going back to 1994 I think, anyway when Patty asked Anna to play doubleds and refused, she apparently asked Schett, again being the little maddam and "stealing" Patty's best friend, that is when she apparently said to Schett if she could hit a high ball.

vogus
Apr 2nd, 2004, 05:30 AM
i've said it before, i am pretty sure that Patty and Schett only appear to be friends since they play doubles together, and they're not really very close in a personal way - their relationship is a purely professional one. Although possibly they were closer friends at the beginning of their careers, than they are today. I find the anecdote about Patty asking Schett to give her a high ball to injure Kournikova pretty disturbing - did Patty actually think that Babsi would do something like that? I'm just shaking my head over it, hopefully it was just a joke...

SerialKiller#69
Apr 2nd, 2004, 08:37 AM
I thought this story is about Lleyton asking Anna to be his mixed doubles partner..

SerialKiller#69
Apr 2nd, 2004, 08:43 AM
it wasn't just a one way thing, it was a two-way hate fest for a long time at the start of their careers. The first two times they played each other (at a 75K challenger in '95 and then again at a Fed Cup match in '96), Patty defeated Anna in hard-fought bitter contests. After the Fed Cup match, Anna was talking trash about Patty, saying something to the effect of, "if i keep losing to players like that, i'm never going to make it on the tour." When Patty and Anna played each other for the first time on the WTA, at Amelia Island in '98, Anna crushed Patty like 6-1 6-2, and Patty basically went nuts after the match, complaining that Anna's entourage had been harassing her from the stands and some other stuff.

Then they played again at Amelia the following year, which is the well known incident where Patty supposedly tanked. But i have that match on video, and honestly it was more that Anna was just playing great tennis and totally kicking Patty's butt for about the first five games, and THEN Patty starting tanking when she got frustrated that nothing was working for her that day. In the post match interview Anna looked piqued by questions about their personal animosity, and she had the nerve to lie and say that "I've never lost to her [Schnyder]."

They played once more, at RG that same year, with Anna beating Patty by a bagel in the third set, and in the years since then it has been a one-way thing, with Patty making openly bitchy remarks about Anna to anybody who would listen, and Anna basically taking the high road in response, denying that anything ever happened. Patty got quoted in the press saying stuff like, "You should see everybody smiling in the locker room after Anna loses, nobody likes her." and "I have a lot of friends on tour. We all get along except for Anna. But that's ok, who needs her?"

As recently as Zurich '02, Patty said something like, "Kournikova is a disaster of a human being." But in the last couple of years, Patty has changed a lot, she has turned into quite the diva in her own right, and maybe she has finally realized that it's pointless to go on and on criticizing Anna in such a public way - i just hope for Patty's sake that she has finally gotten over this.
Nice read. Thanks for that vogus.

I like them both. They're both beautiful to watch in the tennis court. But really, they can't stand each other. About what Patty said about players' reaction when Anna loses, it's sort of expected when you're at the top and you get all the buzz. I've seen some of the matches where Patty supposedly tanked. They're really more of a kick ass performance from Anna.

vogus
Apr 2nd, 2004, 03:25 PM
yr welcome S-Killer :-)

yeah, i also think Patty didn't tank any of those matches, it was more that she hated losing to Anna so much that she told everybody afterwards that she was tanking, to try and save some face, and to deliver a back-handed insult to Anna's performance. Which of course was a bad idea, because it gave Patty an undeserved reputation for tanking. All in all it's a shame they haven't played each other for the last 5 years, because it had the potential to be a great rivalry - but it's not Patty's fault that Anna has fallen off the tour...

Experimentee
Apr 2nd, 2004, 05:01 PM

Players get hit in doubles all the time at close range, its not a serious injury, most of the time they just get on with it and arent hurt.

CoryAnnAvants#1
Apr 2nd, 2004, 05:13 PM
Basically Patty asked Anna to play doubles with her, and Anna said "I only play with players ranked in the top 40." The ironic part was that Patty was ranked higher than Anna in doubles at that time!! Then the fed cup fiasco. She then blatantly tanked a match against Kournikova at Hilton Head, losing 0 and 2. At Amelia Island, she won a set off Anna and then stopped trying again. Her response: "I can't stand her. All I wanted to do was win a set off her. After that I stopped caring." :rolleyes: :tape: Then in the FO, she tanked the first set, saw that Anna was off and started trying in the next two sets, winning the second and losing the third.

SerialKiller#69
Apr 2nd, 2004, 08:00 PM
Players get hit in doubles all the time at close range, its not a serious injury, most of the time they just get on with it and arent hurt.Not really. Schnyder knows how to control the ball, hit it hard enough to rebound at Anna's nose that can knock her off.(LOL at the visual image)

But getting hit is really common in doubles today. I remembered Serena hit a ball at Anna's direction which hit her thigh. No apologies from Serena, and no anger or annoyance from Anna. The game just went on and in the net as they shook hands, I saw Serena mouthed "I"m sorry.."

Philip
Apr 2nd, 2004, 09:14 PM
Not really. Schnyder knows how to control the ball, hit it hard enough to rebound at Anna's nose that can knock her off.(LOL at the visual image)

But getting hit is really common in doubles today. I remembered Serena hit a ball at Anna's direction which hit her thigh. No apologies from Serena, and no anger or annoyance from Anna. The game just went on and in the net as they shook hands, I saw Serena mouthed "I"m sorry.."
yeah i remember that, anna was partnering chanda right? :)

anyway, i love them both :)

jojoseph
Apr 2nd, 2004, 09:25 PM
Ok, something's not fitting here.

If they always hated each other, then Patty would never has asked to play doubles to begin with.

So, what's the real story?

antonella
Apr 2nd, 2004, 11:14 PM
Patty DID aim a ball at Anna's head in a dubs match a few years ago, I think she all but admitted it in the locker room to some friends after the match.

Rothes
Apr 3rd, 2004, 06:58 AM
Ok, something's not fitting here.

If they always hated each other, then Patty would never has asked to play doubles to begin with.

So, what's the real story?
Whoever said they hated each other has got it wrong, Patty or Anna,
Vice-et-versci may have had issues with each other, but it wasn't known, and plus we are not mind readers, and thats only if. It's probably suggested Patty would of asked Anna when undeoubtedly their was not issues between the two.