PDA

View Full Version : Nasdaq-100 Women's Semifinal Predicitons

lizchris
Apr 1st, 2004, 02:56 AM
First Semifinal:
(1) Serena Williams vs. (25) Eleni Daniilidou
Though Serena has dropped a set while Eleni has not and Serena has not faced a top ten player while Eleni upset a top ten player (Jennifer Capriati), Serena is a much better player than Eleni and she has at this point in the past four years while I don't think Eleni has played a Teir I semifinal and that is going to be the difference in this match.
Serena in two sets, possibly 6-4, 6-3 or 6-4

Second Semifinal:
(5)Elena Dementieva vs. (8)Nadia Petrova
Of the four players left, Nadia has given up the least amount of games and seems to have a solid serve, something that cannot be said for Elena. In addition, she has a pretty good head to head and a winning record on hardcourt. It looks as if she will finally reach her first Tier I final (as she and Maria Sharapova are the only Russian who I think have to ability to win tournaments like this and Grand Slams in the future).
Nadia in two sets (If Elena DF alot), possibly 6-3, 6-3 or three sets if Elena can control her DF's

Justinefan
Apr 1st, 2004, 02:59 AM
I say Serena in three, I think Eleni's got the game to take a set, maybe even two, If she can control the points she may be able to beat serena she's playing pretty well. However, I'd give the edge to Serena..
and Elena in two, nadia is playing well, but Elena is coming off a moral victory.. and she's been fighting this whole tourney, she's not about to stop now.

Martian KC
Apr 1st, 2004, 03:01 AM
Daniilidou in 2
Petrova in 2
:secret:

Mr_Molik
Apr 1st, 2004, 03:02 AM
serena in 2, she will b too solid for eleni
elena in 3, nadia is a more solid player, way better serve, but after beating venus elena should be pumped to make the final

ys
Apr 1st, 2004, 03:03 AM
You know what is remarkable.. Three out of four semifinalists are just coming from injuries. Serena plays her first tournament in nearly 8 monthes. Nadya playing her second tournament since January. Elena plays her first tournament since early February. It turns out, Miami is the right place for comebacks..:)

Justinefan
Apr 1st, 2004, 03:04 AM
ys, which russian would you like to see win?

ys
Apr 1st, 2004, 03:07 AM
ys, which russian would you like to see win?Elena is one of my most favourite players, but I like Nadya too, and she probably needs this more, her titlelessness is worrisome and undeserved. Soon she will be the highest ranked player with no title since, I think, 1987.

lizchris
Apr 1st, 2004, 03:08 AM
I say Serena in three, I think Eleni's got the game to take a set, maybe even two, If she can control the points she may be able to beat serena she's playing pretty well. However, I'd give the edge to Serena..
and Elena in two, nadia is playing well, but Elena is coming off a moral victory.. and she's been fighting this whole tourney, she's not about to stop now.

I don't know what you mean by moral victory, but here is one fact re players who beat a Williams sister in a tournament:

Only four players (to date) have beaten them in the same tourament and only one (Aranxta Sanchez) went on to win the title (she beat Venus in a final in the late 1990's I think) (I don't count Kim Clijsters winning the WTA Tour Championships because Venus retired during their match). In addition, the last person who attempted to do it at this tournament (Jennifer Capriati) lost in three sets in the final, so things aren't looking up for Elena even if she wins her semifinal, which I don't think she will.

Justinefan
Apr 1st, 2004, 03:12 AM
I don't know what you mean by moral victory, but here is one fact re players who beat a Williams sister in a tournament:

Only four players (to date) have beaten them in the same tourament and only one (Aranxta Sanchez) went on to win the title (she beat Venus in a final in the late 1990's I think) (I don't count Kim Clijsters winning the WTA Tour Championships because Venus retired during their match). In addition, the last person who attempted to do it at this tournament (Jennifer Capriati) lost in three sets in the final, so things aren't looking up for Elena even if she wins her semifinal, which I don't think she will.
Are you just trying to pick fights with m e in every thread? You are entitled to your opinion, you think elena will lose, and by moral victory, i mean beating venus is a big win for her. and I never said she would beat Serena, the question was who do you think will win the semi finals and i said Elena.

lizchris
Apr 1st, 2004, 03:20 AM
Are you just trying to pick fights with m e in every thread? You are entitled to your opinion, you think elena will lose, and by moral victory, i mean beating venus is a big win for her. and I never said she would beat Serena, the question was who do you think will win the semi finals and i said Elena.
Meghann had a big win against Venus last year at this same tournament.
Result: She lost in the quarterfinals

Vera had a big win against Venus at the FO.

Lisa had a big win against Venus at the AO.

Svetlana had a big win against Venus at Dubai.
Result: She lost in the final

Elena had a big win aginst Venus today.
Result: TBD

As you can see, all these players had big wins against Venus and weren't able to parlay it into a tournament win. That could change on Saturday, but I don't think so.

jay_k
Apr 1st, 2004, 03:20 AM
Its going to be a Serena-Nadia final

Loveless
Apr 1st, 2004, 03:22 AM
I think Serena and Elena will win

jbone_0307
Apr 1st, 2004, 03:22 AM
Serena in two easy set: 6-0 6-2 Have you people seen how Daniilidou runs. It's like a piano on her back. If Serena is serving big, which is most likely to happen, Daniilidou will be running nonestop. Also, her serve isn't a big weapon, so when Serena attacks it, its going to be over. HA :)

Elena in two hard set: 6-4 7-6 Im hoping that Elena makes it to the final hehe. I dont know, even though Venus played bad, I think she played pretty good tennis and hopefully she will tomorrow.

Justinefan
Apr 1st, 2004, 03:23 AM
Meghann had a big win against Venus last year at this same tournament.

Vera had a big win against Venus at the FO.

Lisa had a big win against Venus at the AO.

Svetlana had a big win against Venus at Dubai.
Result: She lost in the final

Elena had a big win aginst Venus today.
Result: TBD

As you can see, all these players had big wins against Venus and weren't able to parlay it into a tournament win. That could change on Saturday, but I don't think so.
That's great, am i arguing with your opinion, no? I still think Elena will win tonite, why are you still posting?

Martian KC
Apr 1st, 2004, 03:28 AM
?_?Didn't you predict elena to win in 3 sets as well, lizchris?:confused: :tape:

tenn_ace
Apr 1st, 2004, 03:29 AM
Elena usually struggles against other Russian players. Eleni is not a good mover to handle pace and accuracy of Serena's shots.

Nadia vs. Serena final as I see it.

lizchris
Apr 1st, 2004, 03:30 AM
That's great, am i arguing with your opinion, no? I still think Elena will win tonite, why are you still posting?
Uh, because I started this thread?:tape: :confused: :fiery:

cometz9
Apr 1st, 2004, 03:32 AM
i predict serena and nadia in the final, i think it will be an interesting match:D

lizchris
Apr 1st, 2004, 03:32 AM
?_?Didn't you predict elena to win in 3 sets as well, lizchris?:confused: :tape:
No, I predicted that Venus would win in straight sets, which I was wrong but I was right about everyone else and I almost had Nadia's score correct (I said 6-2, 6-2, but she won 6-2, 6-1 or 6-1, 6-2),

Next?

Justinefan
Apr 1st, 2004, 03:34 AM
wow your just an everyday pro, i don't care if you started the thread, that doesn't give you rights to argue with people, if your going to ask opinions, you have to be able to respect them

moo_ont
Apr 1st, 2004, 03:34 AM
I am Elena's huge fan. And, as much as I want her to win, I think Nadia will be a better player tomorrow. Nadia has been so impressive this week. I always think she has the best game among the Russian girls.

I see Nadia take on Serena on Saturday.

Martian KC
Apr 1st, 2004, 03:35 AM
*sigh* lizchris, read your first post. You predicted that if Elena didn't DF as much she'd win.:rolleyes: Why are you getting on justinefan's face when you guys are predicting the same outcome? Not that hard.:o

azza
Apr 1st, 2004, 03:35 AM
Nadia will win 6-1 6-2

Justinefan
Apr 1st, 2004, 03:36 AM
*sigh* lizchris, read your first post. You predicted that if Elena didn't DF as much she'd win.:rolleyes: Why are you getting on justinefan's face when you guys are predicting the same outcome? Not that hard.:o
Thank you! :worship: :wavey:

jay_k
Apr 1st, 2004, 03:38 AM
I think lizchris meant Elena would lose in 2 if she had many DF's and in three if she didn't

lizchris
Apr 1st, 2004, 03:40 AM
I think lizchris meant Elena would lose in 2 if she had many DF's and in three if she didn't
Thank you!!:worship: :worship:

That's EXACTLY what I meant.

Justinefan
Apr 1st, 2004, 03:40 AM
Thank you!!:worship: :worship:

That's EXACTLY what I meant.
Then why didn't you say that.

lizchris
Apr 1st, 2004, 03:42 AM
wow your just an everyday pro, i don't care if you started the thread, that doesn't give you rights to argue with people, if your going to ask opinions, you have to be able to respect them
This is a public message board and I can start an argument if I want to.

You are the one who said she came off of a moral victory as if this was the biggest thing she has done in her career, which it isn't (I thought winning the silver medal at the 2000 Olympics was).

lizchris
Apr 1st, 2004, 03:44 AM
Then why didn't you say that.
Because in American English, it isn't necessary to repeat a person's name if the person is the primary subject because it would be, repetitive.

Justinefan
Apr 1st, 2004, 03:50 AM
Because in American English, it isn't necessary to repeat a person's name if the person is the primary subject because it would be, repetitive.
no smart one, i meant when someone asked you about that, why didn't you defend yourself, and restate what you meant.. and thanks i speak english. Sorry if "moral victory" wasn't the term you were looking for.. is "big victory" good enough for you, if you don't think it's a big win, then you'd be discrediting venus's skill. Venus is a good player, so how is that not a good win for Elena

lizchris
Apr 1st, 2004, 03:52 AM
no smart one, i meant when someone asked you about that, why didn't you defend yourself, and restate what you meant.. and thanks i speak english. Sorry if "moral victory" wasn't the term you were looking for.. is "big victory" good enough for you, if you don't think it's a big win, then you'd be discrediting venus's skill. Venus is a good player, so how is that not a good win for Elena
Because jay-k did it before I had a chance to and I didn't feel the need to defend myself since he/she did it for me.

Justinefan
Apr 1st, 2004, 03:54 AM
yeah whatever, afte ryou battled, must have had to wait for a long time

lizchris
Apr 1st, 2004, 03:57 AM
yeah whatever, afte ryou battled, must have had to wait for a long time
Actually not.

I have a high speed online service, but jay-k had already posted what I was going to say by the time I wanted to reply.

maximus82
Apr 1st, 2004, 04:17 AM
I think Serena will come through in 2 sets, possibly close, possibly a blow out.

Nadia-Elena could go either way...I get the feeling that only one player will really show up though and will dominate the other. Not sure who it will be, but my gut says Nadia.

"Topaz"
Apr 1st, 2004, 04:20 AM
For a guarded reason of mine, I wouldn't mind Rena and Elena in the final.

Vass22
Apr 1st, 2004, 04:39 AM
Serena will probably take Danilidou...either in hard two sets or three. But if it's going to be 3, well, it might do anywhere.
Nadia over Dementieva. I want Dementieva to win, but she's probably tired and Nadia might be too godd for her.

Serena vs. Dementieva/ Petrova should be more interesting, but I'm secretly hopin that Eleni Danilidou will be in the final. Easier for the Russian that way.

Chunchun
Apr 1st, 2004, 07:53 AM
Nadya vs Elena! gr8 match!!
i hope Elena can become more confident after beating Vee and go further in Miami!!
I want to see a Serena - Elena final!!!!
sent Nadya home!!

DEETHELICK
Apr 1st, 2004, 08:22 AM
Fatigue will be a factor for Elena. But she's a strong girl.

Nadia gives her fits, but Elena can also trouble Nadia as she has the edge in speed.

Elena always has a chance so....

Good luck Elena! :) Focus and keep on fighting!!

bandabou
Apr 1st, 2004, 09:44 AM
Serena vs Eleni....Eleni has a nice little game going on for her, but nobody with an 80 mph serve is gonna beat Serena imo. Plus Eleni won´t make Serena hit that extra ball all that often.

Nadia vs Elena: If history is any indicator then Elena´s run is over....but when two Russians play each other, you never know what to expect...too close to call, but I think that we´re gonna see a Serena vs Nadia final.

Filadidas
Apr 1st, 2004, 11:53 AM
If its Serena vs. Nadia in the final...... the result is gonna be very predictable and one-sided.... Yeah... with Serena winning!!!!! A player without a sharp movement basically has no chance to play against Serena....

So I really hope its gonna be Serena vs. Elena final...... Still I believe Serena is the favourite.... but I am sure Elena will bring up a more interesting and competitive match with Serena than Nadia......

lizchris
Apr 1st, 2004, 06:33 PM
First Semifinal:
(1) Serena Williams vs. (25) Eleni Daniilidou
Though Serena has dropped a set while Eleni has not and Serena has not faced a top ten player while Eleni upset a top ten player (Jennifer Capriati), Serena is a much better player than Eleni and she has at this point in the past four years while I don't think Eleni has played a Teir I semifinal and that is going to be the difference in this match.
Serena in two sets, possibly 6-4, 6-3 or 6-4

I figured it would be that close. That's how their match was at Wimbeldon!

Serena is on to the finals!!

1jackson2001
Apr 1st, 2004, 06:44 PM
great prediction there

lizchris
Apr 1st, 2004, 06:46 PM
great prediction there