PDA

View Full Version : Now that most of us saw Lena is action...

tenn_ace
Apr 1st, 2004, 12:36 AM
do you think she's changing her motion?

I'm not saying whether she's suddenly become Pete Smapras in her serve, but have you noticed any changes?

Personally, I think the motion looked a lot better when she practiced (no jumps up with twisting her whole body during it)... She also tried to go for more flat serves.

goldenlox
Apr 1st, 2004, 12:43 AM
I didn't see a change, the toss was different heights, it was all arm, no body.
But she won.

ys
Apr 1st, 2004, 12:51 AM
It seemed to me that she changed the motion of her first serve. But the second serve... Not much to say. She could just as well serve it under-hand..

the cat
Apr 1st, 2004, 12:53 AM
Yes, Elena is changing her service motion and her service stance. These changes are slight changes. But even slight changes will take a long time for Elena to get used to. Elena waits longer on the ball toss and then goes after it. She has to remember to keep her head up during the ball toss. And her foot work has changed a little bit too. It looks like a slightly smoother service motion. The most important thing for Elena is to try and serve a high percentage of first serves. If she does that she will have more confidence in ehr second serve.

moo_ont
Apr 1st, 2004, 12:56 AM
And, how was her game today? Do you think she has improved or changed anything? I think she tried to use slice backhand sometimes.

goldenlox
Apr 1st, 2004, 01:00 AM
For someone who plays so much doubles, Elena avoids the net. She knew she had to work Venus' forehand. She tried a lot of underspin when she was rushed.
I think in the third set she played like Amelia Island.

- L i n a -
Apr 1st, 2004, 01:08 AM
It's hard to say because Lena is never consistent with her motion...

However, I watched the Amelia Island final right after her match today... and that 2nd serve is no different. On the 1st serve, I could tell that sometimes she was trying to toss higher, and take the ball at a higher apex.

These improvements are meaningless, though... that motion has to be broken down entirely. Teach Lena how to effectively transfer her weight, and nail down the timing of it. That may take time... but it may be worth it, because those shoulder problems happen for a reason.

the cat
Apr 1st, 2004, 01:13 AM
That's so true, EV. And that's why it's imperative that Elena learn to bend her knees on her serve so her legs can be the force behind her serve and not her vulnerable right arm and shoulder.

moo, Elena was very good from the baseline. She showed nice variety, too. I saw the canopener forehand and the one handed slice backhand. I am very pleased with her ground game. Her backhand has become a rebvelation in the last year.

ys
Apr 1st, 2004, 01:49 AM
And, how was her game today? Do you think she has improved or changed anything? I think she tried to use slice backhand sometimes.
That was definitely a certain and pleasant change. Her slice backhand suddenly looks very slick and pretty, sits low and is a damn effective defensive play. I don't remember her really having it before. I think it is Olga's influence. I watched Olga play at last USO, and I do not think that she hit a single topspin backhand for entire tournament. That shot can really help Elena at W. Venus who mostly dominated backhand rallies first was them somewhat surprised by Elena's variety from BH side. Using topspin in all three directions -crosscour, midcourt and DTL with sudden switch to that pretty slice was what pretty much neutralised Venus's backhand dominance. I think Elena even tried to return serve with a singlehanded topspin a couple of times, LOL.. Netted both.

bubble
Apr 1st, 2004, 03:01 AM
That was definitely a certain and pleasant change. Her slice backhand suddenly looks very slick and pretty, sits low and is a damn effective defensive play. I don't remember her really having it before. I think it is Olga's influence. I watched Olga play at last USO, and I do not think that she hit a single topspin backhand for entire tournament. That shot can really help Elena at W. Venus who mostly dominated backhand rallies first was them somewhat surprised by Elena's variety from BH side. Using topspin in all three directions -crosscour, midcourt and DTL with sudden switch to that pretty slice was what pretty much neutralised Venus's backhand dominance. I think Elena even tried to return serve with a singlehanded topspin a couple of times, LOL.. Netted both.
Wow, great to know that Elena is showing more variety and she has a game plan of not moving Venus around and hitting to her body and made sure that she stick to it. How nice for her to work well with her new coach... Marat, are you listening? :o

DEETHELICK
Apr 1st, 2004, 09:07 AM
I'm sure Olga is addressing the serve issue, and it will take Elena time to fully incorporate it into her game. I'm sure she sometimes forgets to use the motion, especially if she is nervous.

Elena only got broken 6 times in a really tight match. The match lasted for ages! If anything, that's a positive, as Elena's serve would usually crumble. Whilst it's stil vulnerable, she is is working on it and is able to win :)

Mathijs
Apr 1st, 2004, 07:03 PM
I didn't see anything but maybe the next match who knows :)

tenn_ace
Apr 2nd, 2004, 03:33 AM
Q. What did she bring to you so far?

ELENA DEMENTIEVA: I think she helped me a lot with, you know, my technique. I feel like my forehand is getting better now. I'm still working on my serve because I feel like I improved my serve during the practice but I can't just put it all together during the match because I'm, you know, just little nervous and it takes time to change, you know, on the court.

But I really like to work with her. I believe in her. I'm sure I will serve better (smiling).

Thank you, Lena, for confirming my words.. :)

moo_ont
Apr 2nd, 2004, 03:40 AM
Tenn_ace...as I said, I always believe you. Don't worry. http://wtaworld.com/images/smilies/kiss.gif