PDA

View Full Version : Lena is not playing Amelia Island

goldenlox
Mar 30th, 2004, 10:53 PM
Lena should be playing AI this year. She has almost no points to defend until Toronto.
Green clay is a fun surface to play on. Easy on the feet, and you can still play aggressively. Come to the net. Hit those groundstrokes like Sesil does. Wham!

Edit - Lena is not playing. And Sesil stinks. Hit your groundstrokes like Vika.

- L i n a -
Mar 30th, 2004, 11:35 PM
Well, Lena is no longer in Florida... so I'm doubting she'll play. If she does, then she'll probably be in Charleston at the last minute, also.

Green clay should be a good surface for Lena to play on, like you say. But don't get your hopes up.

the cat
Mar 31st, 2004, 12:19 AM
GL, I think you mean for Lena to hit those ground srokes like Maria does! ;)

It's nice to have Lena back and playing again. And you're right about the green clay being easy on the feet. But why is it called green clay when it's grey? I've never understood that.

goldenlox
Mar 31st, 2004, 12:24 AM
I think it's green. I've played on green and red clay, and it looks green to me.
And when it drizzles, the balls pop high up in the air. It's very hard to hit winners. Unless you catch the line, then the ball skids.

- L i n a -
Mar 31st, 2004, 12:25 AM
Lena already knows how to go for way too much on her shots, and make tons of errors.

Well, not anymore... since she's Amanda Coetzer +1 foot, -1000000000000000000000000000000000000 movement.

goldenlox
Mar 31st, 2004, 12:28 AM
I would rather Lena be overaggressive, than passive.

- L i n a -
Mar 31st, 2004, 12:30 AM
Much like Maria... Lena has to play that way to win.

So, I agree.

goldenlox
Mar 31st, 2004, 12:31 AM
No. Like Sesil.

- L i n a -
Mar 31st, 2004, 12:34 AM
Yes... it is impressive that a 14-year old can hit the ball that hard, and play so well.

the cat
Mar 31st, 2004, 12:35 AM
No, like Maria. Lena has nothing in common with the quick as a cat Sesil Karatancheva. :cat: But there are similarities between Lena and Maria physically and as hard hitting tennis players.

goldenlox
Mar 31st, 2004, 12:36 AM
I watched those 4 games that ESPN showed again. Sesil creams the ball. I want Lena to push opponents behind the baseline.

- L i n a -
Mar 31st, 2004, 12:37 AM
Lena should also talk shit like Sesil.

Then, I might be a fan of hers again.

goldenlox
Mar 31st, 2004, 12:42 AM
The whole tour should talk like that. It had everyone buzzing.

the cat
Mar 31st, 2004, 12:45 AM
Sesil seems to have alot of talent and great athletic ability. She reminds me of a stronger Steffi Graf at 14 years old. :) But let's see if Nick Bollettieri can get Sesil to control her emotions and play her best tennis. I saw those same 4 games between Karatancheva and Sharapova as you did GL and I was very impressed with Sesil. I'm sure her speed and ballsy cockiness with fluster alot of her opponents. And I'm sure she had Maria a little rattled in the first set of their match in Indian Wells. :eek: But now the pressure is on Sesil to perform. And she might have to play Alisa Kleibanova another 14 year old in the second round of the Luxlon Cup. The pressure would be on Sesil in that match. But Alisa could beat her.

EV, it's not in Lena's personality to talk badly of others. I think she's only ever made snide remarks about Anna. And that was a couple of years ago.

goldenlox
Mar 31st, 2004, 12:47 AM
This is why the AER doesn't work. Right now, people want to see Maria or Sesil play, and they can't.

the cat
Mar 31st, 2004, 12:57 AM
You're right, GL. Both Maria and Sesil should be allowed to play more than they are. I don't think they should be allowed to play full schedules. But they need to play more than they are currently allowed. Especially Sesil.

My time online is up. Good night. :wavey:

goldenlox
Mar 31st, 2004, 01:18 AM
That Sesil smack was the big story at Indian Wells. Sesil should have been allowed to play Key Biscayne. And Maria should be allowed to play the green clay events.
But I'm sure Max will keep her busy.

peanuts
Mar 31st, 2004, 05:05 AM
hey i'm curious what are those snide comments that elena made about anna?

hello everyone i'm a new elena fan!...i've heard a lot about her the last couple of years but wasnt able to see her play...all i know is that she has a davenport like game because of the similarities in height...when i finally get to see her play in the AO 2004 mixed doubles final, i was impressed...she can really serve!! ;) i think i like her game more than maria's...although both are hard-hitting players...too bad though she has so much injuries...

- L i n a -
Mar 31st, 2004, 05:14 AM
I don't remember it all that well... but it was like 2001. Lena said something like Anna doesn't care about any of the Russian players, so we don't care about her. It wasn't really juicy stuff. Like the_cat says, Lena is a sweetheart that would never bad mouth anything. :(

Jackson.
Mar 31st, 2004, 07:49 AM
Good luck in AI Elena :D
Good to have you back :D

peanuts
Mar 31st, 2004, 09:03 AM
I don't remember it all that well... but it was like 2001. Lena said something like Anna doesn't care about any of the Russian players, so we don't care about her. It wasn't really juicy stuff. Like the_cat says, Lena is a sweetheart that would never bad mouth anything. :(
ya she really is a nice girl...i remember at the ceremony of d AO final...when she made her speech she's just so happy...it was a bit funny coz they forgot to adjust the microphone stand and elena had to ask them to please make it higher because she has to bend so much :)...

the cat
Mar 31st, 2004, 02:36 PM
Gee GL, you just had to get that snide remark in on Max keeping Maria busy, didn't you?

EV, I don't doubt that Lena is a sweetheart. But she did have some catty comments about Anna at the 2--1 Indian Wells tournament. And you have a good memeory because Lena's comments were about how Anna doesn't talk to the other Russian girls and that if she doesn't care about us we won't care about her.

Hi peanuts! :wavey: Just so you know, my favorite peanuts are cashews. ;)

goldenlox
Mar 31st, 2004, 07:10 PM
What do you mean snide? Isn't it Max's job to get a percentage of Maria's off court revenue? With 5 weeks off, Max is going to try to earn his living.
He's not a tennis coach, is he?

- L i n a -
Mar 31st, 2004, 07:54 PM
GL, stop trolling.

goldenlox
Mar 31st, 2004, 08:01 PM
I don't even know what cat is talking about. If Max doesn't use these 5 weeks off to get Maria an endorsement deal, then why is he her agent?

the cat
Mar 31st, 2004, 08:16 PM
GL, you routinely make comments about Maria doing photo shoots. That's what I thought you meant when you said Max will keep Maria busy the next five weeks. I hope Maria spends her free time practicing and working out with light weights. I'm not concerned with her endorsements. Maria will do fine with endorsements. It's her tennis and tremendous upside as a tennis player that I'm concerned with.

goldenlox
Mar 31st, 2004, 08:22 PM
Of course Maria is going to train and practice. But now is the time for photoshoots.
I want to go and watch. To see what a professional modeling shoot looks like.

- L i n a -
Mar 31st, 2004, 09:44 PM
GL, do you think Sesil should try being a model?

She might need some work done on her beak... but otherwise, she's rather cute.

Plus, she hits the ball really hard.

goldenlox
Mar 31st, 2004, 09:45 PM
It depends. I'll go and watch Sesil model. No problem.

the cat
Mar 31st, 2004, 11:46 PM
If a young female tennis player is a top prospect training at Bollettieri's then photo shoots are par for the course. And let's Sesil Karatancheva has the elusive X -Factor! :D As does Maria Sharapova. :)

goldenlox
Apr 1st, 2004, 12:07 AM
Only Bollettieri's? Alisa should get a photoshoot too.

- L i n a -
Apr 1st, 2004, 12:13 AM
As should Sveta.

goldenlox
Apr 1st, 2004, 12:15 AM
I don't know if Sveta wants to do it. Sveta needs good photos for when she wins.
She doesn't have a team of agents to pass them out to the media.

the cat
Apr 1st, 2004, 12:16 AM
I agree with you two about Alisa and Sveta. Alisa has nice features and Sveta has a woinderful heartwarming smile. :D But it's their tennis that's most important.

goldenlox
Apr 1st, 2004, 12:50 AM
The player who should be modeling is Lena. She doesn't have any glamorous pictures. She should hire Max.

- L i n a -
Apr 1st, 2004, 02:29 AM
This just in:

Lena is hideous. Nobody likes her.

goldenlox
Apr 1st, 2004, 02:34 AM
I'm talking about Elena Bovina. She's the glamorous Lena.

peanuts
Apr 1st, 2004, 09:54 AM
Gee GL, you just had to get that snide remark in on Max keeping Maria busy, didn't you?

EV, I don't doubt that Lena is a sweetheart. But she did have some catty comments about Anna at the 2--1 Indian Wells tournament. And you have a good memeory because Lena's comments were about how Anna doesn't talk to the other Russian girls and that if she doesn't care about us we won't care about her.

Hi peanuts! :wavey: Just so you know, my favorite peanuts are cashews. ;)
hi the cat! :) nice to meet another elena fan :) ...d peanuts actually refers to the peanuts comic strip featuring my fave beagle, snoopy ;)

i've noticed there are lots of maria discussion in here...and some sesil...anyway how tall is sesil? she's only 14 but based from d pictures i've seen she looks really tall for a 14 year old...too bad we didn't get d coverage of her match...everyone here seems impressed with how hard she hits the ball...

the cat
Apr 1st, 2004, 02:00 PM
peanuts, I've enjoyed peanuts the comis strip for a long time. My favorite character is Linus. ;)

I think Sesil Karatancheva is about 5'7' tall. Don't worry she'll grower taller and stronger. But the important this is thatSesil is a tremendous athlete with great speed. :)

GL and EV like to talk about Maria and that's why they talk about her in Elena Bovina's fourum and threads.

- L i n a -
Apr 1st, 2004, 02:28 PM
We have to talk about Cheesecake Masha, and the "next big thing" Sesil K. because our Lena has been doing a whole bunch of nothing for months now.

moo_ont
Apr 1st, 2004, 04:00 PM
EV: Congrats! on successfully changing to 'Leenah'. ;)

goldenlox
Apr 1st, 2004, 08:01 PM
I don't like that name. Try MariaS

the cat
Apr 1st, 2004, 09:58 PM
I like The Maria's, too. :) Well done GL.

goldenlox
Apr 1st, 2004, 10:33 PM
Sesil lost in straight sets to Neha Uberoi after beating Alisa. And Maria K. beat Neha Uberoi.
So Lena should hit her groundstrokes like Maria K.

the cat
Apr 1st, 2004, 10:42 PM
GL, how do you keep up with all this stuff and who beat who? You must be very good with detail and have a good memory. :)

Lena is too big to hit her ground strokes like Little Masha. ;)

And even though Sesil Karatancheva has alot of talent I'm not expecting her to dominate the juniors. I think Sesil has had a tate of success on the WTA Tour and the juniors are a step down for her and her ability. And that attitude will probably lead Sesil to some bad losses in the juniors.

- L i n a -
Apr 1st, 2004, 10:59 PM
No, Little Masha plays more powerfully now.

Lena hits like Panova.

Sesil will be fine. With her attitude, she should be winning Tier III's in 2006.

goldenlox
Apr 1st, 2004, 11:00 PM
Only if she doesn't have to play any top 50 players.

- L i n a -
Apr 1st, 2004, 11:02 PM
Looking into my magic 8 ball... I see that Sesil will play 1 Top 50 player in these tournaments. It will be an American who won an NCAA title, and dominated in challengers .

goldenlox
Apr 1st, 2004, 11:35 PM
Lena hits like Panova.- I like this strategy.

goldenlox
Apr 2nd, 2004, 01:05 AM
It's been so long since Lena played. I'm watching Nastya, Elena D., Sveta, and Nadia do some good stuff.
I want Lena to get some of these big wins.

- L i n a -
Apr 2nd, 2004, 01:07 AM
I want Alina Jidkova to play like that too...

Unfortunately, some players just can't do it.

goldenlox
Apr 2nd, 2004, 01:09 AM
I want to play like that. But Lena has a better chance to do it than I do.

- L i n a -
Apr 2nd, 2004, 01:27 AM
None isn't better than none.

goldenlox
Apr 2nd, 2004, 01:30 AM
Sveta beat Justine and Venus. Elena beat Venus and Nadia. Nastya is #5. Nadia beat Molik and Dechy badly.
It's Lena time.

peanuts
Apr 2nd, 2004, 03:42 AM
peanuts, I've enjoyed peanuts the comis strip for a long time. My favorite character is Linus. ;)

I think Sesil Karatancheva is about 5'7' tall. Don't worry she'll grower taller and stronger. But the important this is thatSesil is a tremendous athlete with great speed. :)

GL and EV like to talk about Maria and that's why they talk about her in Elena Bovina's fourum and threads.
so ur another peanuts fan eh ;) good for u...they're pretty a cool bunch...but i do wish snoopy could talk ;)

well 5'7 is not so bad...ya i'm sure she'd grow more but you have to wonder how her mobility will be affected when she gets taller and taller..i mean now its easier for her to run fast but she may feel awkward if she gets around 6 feet tall...we'll see though in a couple of years....

i've read some of d maria discussion in here and its quite funny...anyway i like maria too...before i saw elena play she's one of my fave but now i like elena more :)

peanuts
Apr 2nd, 2004, 03:47 AM
We have to talk about Cheesecake Masha, and the "next big thing" Sesil K. because our Lena has been doing a whole bunch of nothing for months now.
yea she's been out for a while...oh by the way ur also evanescence right? coz u always have funny names for masha...now its cheesecake..hehe...don't u like her? its like ur always trying to put her down...i'm just wondering... ;)

- L i n a -
Apr 2nd, 2004, 03:51 AM
I like Masha... but the hype is sickening, because she has yet to do anything impressive.

peanuts
Apr 2nd, 2004, 05:00 AM
ya d hype is a bit too much but its really d media's fault...they just want another annaK :)

the cat
Apr 2nd, 2004, 03:42 PM
Da.

goldenlox
Apr 2nd, 2004, 07:31 PM
The Sharapova hype makes the tennis media look like imbeciles. But it comes from Max.
Along with the anti-Anna stuff, which comes from Max, Maria, Nick, and Lansdorp.

- L i n a -
Apr 2nd, 2004, 07:41 PM
It doesn't make them look like imbeciles.

Most tennis "fans" just agree with whatever is said.

goldenlox
Apr 2nd, 2004, 07:43 PM
Let me rephrase. I now understand that the tennis media does no homework. And has no integrity.

the cat
Apr 2nd, 2004, 10:51 PM
GL, how are Bollettieri and Lansdorp involved in anti Anna comments? And after you explain that maybe you can explain how Max and Maria are involved in the anti Anna campaign. Masha says she respects everyone in tennis, including Anna. She doesn't have to like Anna. Alot of players don't. That doesn't mean she's Anti Anna. And Mashara has been compared to Anna since she went to Bollettieri's at 6 years old. She doesn't like the comparisons to Anna and I don't blame her. I doubt Anna would have like being comapared to another player all these years. It would have gotten on her nerves the way it has with Maria. And I'm sure you've noticed that Maria has had nothing negative to say about Anna this year. I think we've heard the last of the negative comments from Masha about Anna.

goldenlox
Apr 2nd, 2004, 10:55 PM
I blame Nick for Maria and Sesil both insulting Anna's tennis when they are 14 and Anna was a #8.

As for Lansdorp, this is from the USA Today article -

The win in Tokyo that put the exclamation point on a season featuring her Grand Slam debut in Australia and a round-of-16 appearance and tabloid splash at Wimbledon was special, too.
She was so relieved to separate her image from Kournikova's that she kept fans waiting at the trophy presentation while she called her mother and Lansdorf. "I said, 'Hey, Maria, the only way they are going to compare you to Anna now is in beauty,' " Lansdorf says.

Winning that crapfest doesn't give Maria a better career than Anna.

goldenlox
Apr 2nd, 2004, 11:00 PM
Lansdorp telling that to the media is definately insulting Anna. And don't even get me started on Max and IMG.

- L i n a -
Apr 2nd, 2004, 11:40 PM
Cheesecake. Cheesecake. Cheesecake.

To be fair... at least Masha didn't say that fluff.

goldenlox
Apr 3rd, 2004, 01:45 AM
When Sharky started posting old Maria articles, it brought back the old memories, from last fall.

- L i n a -
Apr 3rd, 2004, 01:46 AM
Now that Maria won Tokyo and Quebec, she is a superstar, and thus is living up to her responsibilities.

goldenlox
Apr 3rd, 2004, 01:48 AM
And here come all the magazine covers. She is on the cover of the May Tennis magazine, and she doesn't play for 5 weeks.
I thought Serena's comeback was the story in tennis. Nope, it's Max and Maria.

- L i n a -
Apr 3rd, 2004, 02:34 AM
It will be all the funnier when Maria is nothing, a few years from now.

goldenlox
Apr 3rd, 2004, 02:36 AM
Maria is too good a player for that. Her career will be fine.

- L i n a -
Apr 3rd, 2004, 02:37 AM
We all thought the same, exactly 6 years ago...

goldenlox
Apr 3rd, 2004, 02:38 AM
Well, if Maria gets injured, she'll be rich.

- L i n a -
Apr 3rd, 2004, 02:39 AM
Good for her.

goldenlox
Apr 3rd, 2004, 02:45 AM
That's the whole idea behind IMG giving her family free housing. And paying for her coaches and trainer.
So they can make her rich and take their percentage.
It's a great deal.

- L i n a -
Apr 3rd, 2004, 02:48 AM
They're doing a fine job of it, also.

I just can see the same thing happening to Masha that happened to Anna. She's going to realize how much she's missing out of life, then overcompensate, and bye bye tennis career.

goldenlox
Apr 3rd, 2004, 02:51 AM
Otherwise, you can get injured, and you're broke. This is a business.

- L i n a -
Apr 3rd, 2004, 02:52 AM
I'm a bit surprised Masha hasn't had any injuries yet...

She looks so frail out there, and her movement is sloppy.

goldenlox
Apr 3rd, 2004, 02:53 AM
Looks like Gisele, plays like Serena. It's all in the portfolio Max hands out to the media.

- L i n a -
Apr 3rd, 2004, 02:55 AM
Ugh... that made me spit out my tea. Thanks. :p

goldenlox
Apr 3rd, 2004, 02:59 AM
And Anna has a lot of fans. All kinds. Definately she has non-tennis fans. But she has a lot of fans who like her style of flat groundstrokes and a fluid net game.

the cat
Apr 3rd, 2004, 02:19 PM
Hey GL, when will Maria's career be better than Anna's career in your eyes? When Masha wins her tenth WTA Tour title? It's all about holding singles trophies over your head.

goldenlox
Apr 3rd, 2004, 05:06 PM
"Hey GL, when will Maria's career be better than Anna's career in your eyes? When Masha wins her tenth WTA Tour title?"

That's when she equals Nags Sr.
Maria has to get to a Tier I final, or a semi in a major, before we compare her to Anna.

- L i n a -
Apr 3rd, 2004, 05:53 PM
Hey GL, when will Maria's career be better than Anna's career in your eyes? When Masha wins her tenth WTA Tour title? It's all about holding singles trophies over your head.
By this logic... you're saying that Nagyova and Smashnova have had twice the better career than Nastya, and 3 times the career of Lena D.

goldenlox
Apr 3rd, 2004, 06:13 PM
That's what I say. All hail Henrieta!

ys
Apr 3rd, 2004, 06:16 PM
Where is Lena? She is not in AI draw.. :sad:

goldenlox
Apr 3rd, 2004, 06:17 PM
Lena is in Russia. TBE says she will be back for the European clay court tournaments.

- L i n a -
Apr 3rd, 2004, 06:39 PM
We hope she'll be back for them...

goldenlox
Apr 3rd, 2004, 06:40 PM
I hope Lena gets back for Pattaya.

- L i n a -
Apr 3rd, 2004, 06:46 PM
GL, you shouldn't make false threads like Lena would be playing AI. K.

We'll see about Warsaw... she has 2 weeks to recover.

goldenlox
Apr 3rd, 2004, 06:48 PM
From now on, I wait until the draw is out.

the cat
Apr 3rd, 2004, 08:35 PM
I'm being double teamed by GL and EV. :D You two made Good counterpoints. But we're comparing Maria's career to Anna's career.

P.S. - Please remember to root for UConn tonight against Duke in the Final Four. :)

goldenlox
Apr 3rd, 2004, 08:38 PM
Maria hasn't done anything. One win against a top 40 player this year. Maria has good groundstrokes, and a decent serve. But she doesn't have results.

the cat
Apr 3rd, 2004, 08:42 PM
Easy girl. Easy. I'd say Maria making the fourth round in back to back Tier 1 tournaments a year after she lost in the first round of both tournaments is doing pretty well. Maria is doing better than you think, GL. It's important to see the big picture with Masha. And the big picture includes one of the 5 best serves and one of the 5 best ground game sin womens tennis 2 years from now. Then she will be competing for grand slam titles and winning the occasional Tier 1 title. :)

- L i n a -
Apr 3rd, 2004, 08:43 PM
I'm being double teamed by GL and EV. :D You two made Good counterpoints. But we're comparing Maria's career to Anna's career.

P.S. - Please remember to root for UConn tonight against Duke in the Final Four. :)
No... I have money on Duke... even though I hate them. :p

Masha's serve is better than decent. Her only fault with it, is that she has no idea where her 1st serve is going. She also already has the best Russian serve on tour... although that's really not saying much.

the cat
Apr 3rd, 2004, 08:53 PM
Thank you for saying that, EV. But Maria does try to mix up her serve. She's learning how to hit angle and slice serves. There is more to serving that hitting a hard serve. And I think Masha knows that.

My prediction for the Final Four semifinals is UConn d. Duke 81-75 and Oklahoma State d. Georgia Tech 76-68.

goldenlox
Apr 3rd, 2004, 08:54 PM
The big picture is the Tennis mag cover.
Has Maria improved since the Dokic match?

the cat
Apr 3rd, 2004, 08:58 PM
Of course she has. I'm happy with her steady progress. Masha was not overmatched by Serena Williams in their first ever match. And that was a good sign for me. I think Masha is on ehr way to the top of women's tennis. :)

goldenlox
Apr 3rd, 2004, 09:05 PM
Is Lena L. on her way to the top? She took a set off Serena. And ate up Maria.

- L i n a -
Apr 3rd, 2004, 09:33 PM
Lena L. isn't cool. She's so old. And plays doubles every week. The cool kids wouldn't be seen doing that.

goldenlox
Apr 3rd, 2004, 09:56 PM
And I don't believe cat is happy with "her steady progress." Maria isn't moving forward.

- L i n a -
Apr 4th, 2004, 04:29 AM
I've never seen the cat unhappy.

the cat
Apr 4th, 2004, 08:45 PM
I'm usually unhappy, EV. I'm negative by nature. I see the glass half empty instead of half full. :( And seeing Elena Dementieva's woeful performance in the 2004 Nasdaq-100 Open final against Serena Williams after I predicted Elena would upset Serena in 3 sets put me in a bad mood. :mad:

Miss Lox, Maria has made steady progress. I'm not necessarily happy with her progress. But I'm okay with her progresss. It's Sharky Sue who's unhappy with Maria's progress. :( Masha is not yet ready for a big breakthrough. But she's on track to becoming an elite tennis player. :) By the way GL, you will never see Mashara get drilled 1 and 1 in a WTA final the way Dementieva did.

P.S. - Go UConn! :bounce: They had a sensational comeback win over Duke last night and they will carry that momentum into the NCAA men's basketball championship game against Georgia Tech tommorow night. :)

P.P.S. - Go Lady Huskies, too! :D They play Minnesota in the NCAA women's Final Four semifinal game tonight.

goldenlox
Apr 4th, 2004, 08:53 PM
Miss Lox, Maria has made steady progress. I'm not necessarily happy with her progress. But I'm okay with her progresss. It's Sharky Sue who's unhappy with Maria's progress. :( Masha is not yet ready for a big breakthrough. But she's on track to becoming an elite tennis player. :) By the way GL, you will never see Mashara get drilled 1 and 1 in a WTA final the way Dementieva did.

I'll never see Maria lose 1 and 1 in a final because she loses 6 and 1 to Lena L. or Dani early in tournaments.

I forgot the smear campaign Maria, Max, Lansdorp, and Nick were using to insult Anna until Sharky posted those old articles. Let's see Maria get some results.
So far in 2004, she is doing very, very little.

- L i n a -
Apr 4th, 2004, 08:56 PM
Miss Lox, Maria has made steady progress. I'm not necessarily happy with her progress. But I'm okay with her progresss. It's Sharky Sue who's unhappy with Maria's progress. Masha is not yet ready for a big breakthrough. But she's on track to becoming an elite tennis player. By the way GL, you will never see Mashara get drilled 1 and 1 in a WTA final the way Dementieva did.

Hingis lost 1 and 0 in a final, Arantxa lost 0 and in a final and Lindsay lost 1 and 1 once also. First, let's see Maria even get to a Tier II final.

goldenlox
Apr 4th, 2004, 08:58 PM
He's not talking about Tier II's. He means Tier V finals. Because Maria is far from a super Tier I final, which is what Elena just played in.

- L i n a -
Apr 4th, 2004, 09:45 PM
It's a shame, because there are TWO Tier V tournaments the next 2 weeks... and Masha can't play either.

Let's sue.

goldenlox
Apr 4th, 2004, 09:49 PM
I want to see Maria's clay results this spring. If her power is less of a factor, it will test the rest of her game.

- L i n a -
Apr 4th, 2004, 09:50 PM
There's more to Maria's game?

goldenlox
Apr 4th, 2004, 09:52 PM
We will find out. I think if Maria played AI, she might lose early.

- L i n a -
Apr 4th, 2004, 09:56 PM
She'd reach the final and lose 6-1 6-1.

goldenlox
Apr 4th, 2004, 10:06 PM
Maria wouldn't get near the final of AI. She's beaten one top 40 player since last summer.

- L i n a -
Apr 4th, 2004, 10:08 PM
But, she's cool.

goldenlox
Apr 4th, 2004, 10:12 PM
According to YM. I haven't read Tennis magazine. She might not be cool in there.

- L i n a -
Apr 4th, 2004, 10:16 PM
The cover wreaks of coolness.

goldenlox
Apr 4th, 2004, 10:19 PM
Maria can take a good picture. Why not Golovin on the cover? She takes a good picture too.

the cat
Apr 5th, 2004, 03:26 PM
GL, Tatiana might just be lined up for the May 2005 cover of Tennis magazine. ;)

Congrats to Maria Sharapova on making the top 20 at age 16. :D Since the advent of the AER that is indeed a rarity. Maria is now at a career high ranking of 19. If she ends the 2004 season in the top 15 I will be very pleased. All I'm looking for from Masha this year is for her to make steady progress and develope her serve into one of the best in women's tennis.

goldenlox
Apr 5th, 2004, 07:25 PM
Elena D. (6), Nadia (9), and Sveta (13), also went to career highs. Lena went from 32 to 31 without playing.
If she stays out of action, maybe Lena can keep moving forward. And get into the top 20.

the cat
Apr 5th, 2004, 07:31 PM
If Lena and Lina get it together there could be 8 Russina's in the top 20. :) Right now there are 6 Russina's in the top 20. Hopefully this is the tip of the iceberg for the Russian girls and their high rankings! :bounce:

goldenlox
Apr 5th, 2004, 07:34 PM
Dinara will get there too. I don't know about Lina. But once you are in the top 20, you have to go for the top 10. Then top 5. Then win majors.
There is always a higher level.

the cat
Apr 5th, 2004, 07:44 PM
I forgot about Dinara. She could make the top 20 this year, too.

By the way, doesn't Tennessee Volunteer coach Pat Summit look like Dinara and Marat's mother Rauza Safina?

goldenlox
Apr 5th, 2004, 07:57 PM
These two green clay tournaments are so tough, it's no big deal that Lena is skipping them.
It was IW and Miami that paid great for so-so fields. Here the draw is more difficult, and the money is one fourth of Miami.

the cat
Apr 5th, 2004, 11:54 PM
GL dahlin', I'm trying to rep you and MSF but it keeps saying how I must spread around reputation points. It get's frustrating when this happens time after time. :(

I am worried about Lena and Lina. Lena has so much game but has health problems and Lina has played poorly since making the final in Toronto last year. They need something positive to happen to them soon. :)

- L i n a -
Apr 5th, 2004, 11:55 PM
I guess I'm not worthy of good reps.

Oh well, I'll have to bust in another Maria tape to learn coolness.

goldenlox
Apr 5th, 2004, 11:55 PM
Worry about Anna-lite. She's not doing much in 2004 either.

goldenlox
Apr 6th, 2004, 12:07 AM
Cat, you can't talk about reps, because everyone will want them.

the cat
Apr 6th, 2004, 02:57 PM
Okay GL. Thanks for the rep tip. Actually Leenah you are worthy for good reps except the same thing happens when I've tried to rep you. The message appears saying I must spread reputation points around before giving them to Leenah again.

Who is Anna-lite? Maria Kirilenko I assume. :)

goldenlox
Apr 7th, 2004, 03:34 AM
Maria K. can join the Anna-lite team. If her management wants her to.

peanuts
Apr 7th, 2004, 09:22 AM
hey guys since we always talk about maria here..how about a full comparison of elena and maria's game?? you know with strokes, movement, strategy...i'm not talking about physical looks ok ;) i'm curious on what you guys think cause you all seem to know a lot about them :)

the cat
Apr 7th, 2004, 01:54 PM
Well peanuts, Maria has a better serve and a better backhand than Elena does. Elena has a better forehand and covers the court better than Masha does. And Elena's major weakness, her lightweight second serve is a bigger weakness than Masha's major weakness, her lack of quickness.

GL, I'm sure Little Masha's IMG management team would like for Masha K. to be on the Anna-lite team. :) And I think Kournikova fans would like the endearing Little Masha more than they do the high profile Big Masha. :D

- L i n a -
Apr 7th, 2004, 06:18 PM
Well peanuts, Maria has a better serve and a better backhand than Elena does. Elena has a better forehand and covers the court better than Masha does. And Elena's major weakness, her lightweight second serve is a bigger weakness than Masha's major weakness, her lack of quickness.

We can agree to disagree on that.

goldenlox
Apr 7th, 2004, 07:13 PM
Lena's major weakness is staying healthy. She was beating Davenport and Capriati last fall.
Nags Jr's weakness is she can't beat anyone in the top 40. One win like that since last summer.

- L i n a -
Apr 7th, 2004, 07:18 PM
He was talking about Dementieva.

goldenlox
Apr 7th, 2004, 07:19 PM
Her weakness is second serve and staying healthy. Both Lena and Elena have proven they can beat top 10 players.
Nags Jr. reaches her limit with Flavia.

the cat
Apr 7th, 2004, 10:41 PM
GL, I guess you forgot about Anna Smashnova-Pistolesi. ;)

Leenah, you don't think Maria has a better serve and backhand than Elena D. does?

- L i n a -
Apr 7th, 2004, 10:44 PM
Serve, of course... Forehand, Maria's a little better.

However, you're underestimating the importance of agility.

moo_ont
Apr 7th, 2004, 10:47 PM
Leena, backhand or forehand?

goldenlox
Apr 7th, 2004, 11:08 PM
Elena is a fighter. When she beat Venus, she served for the match in the second set. Then she was down 0-3 in the third. She competes.
Players who don't beat top 40 players don't compete well.

the cat
Apr 7th, 2004, 11:19 PM
Leenah, how am I underestimating agility when I'm the agile cat? ;) :p :cat:

And you think Maria has a better forehand than Elena does? Elena has one of the best forehands in women's tennis and that's without question. But I'm glad you think so much of Masha's game. :D

moo_ont
Apr 7th, 2004, 11:22 PM
the cat, Leena said in another thread that today she was a bit off. I think she meant 'backhand'. Not sure though. ;)

the cat
Apr 7th, 2004, 11:38 PM
Da. Was that her ask Lennah anything thread? I just asked her 3 questions in that thread. And 2 of the questions were about Maria Sharapova.

moo_ont
Apr 7th, 2004, 11:40 PM
Yep, she is lots of fun. Like her answers a lot. I am sure she won't disappoint you. :angel:

the cat
Apr 7th, 2004, 11:50 PM
Yes Leenah is alot of fun in a brooding, dark and mysterious kind of way! :D

moo_ont
Apr 7th, 2004, 11:56 PM
Yes Leenah is alot of fun in a brooding, dark and mysterious kind of way! :D
Epecially to you. :lol: :p

the cat
Apr 8th, 2004, 12:03 AM
Da.

goldenlox
Apr 8th, 2004, 02:50 AM
"I'm usually unhappy, EV. I'm negative by nature. I see the glass half empty instead of half full. :( And seeing Elena Dementieva's woeful performance in the 2004 Nasdaq-100 Open final against Serena Williams after I predicted Elena would upset Serena in 3 sets put me in a bad mood. :mad: "

I didn't know you were unhappy, cat. Is it because of your job? My parents are always exhausted.
Me, I'm almost always happy. But all I do is go to school and have fun.

VeraNuVirgosFan
Apr 8th, 2004, 08:29 AM
GL, I think you mean for Lena to hit those ground srokes like Maria does!
goldenlox, you were right: the cat likes to mention Masha in 90% of his posts. Again in this thread he was the first one to talk about Masha.

I've just checked this thread today to see whether you guys would talk about Masha in your seemingly Bovina's thread. And as usual, nothing has been changed...

the cat
Apr 8th, 2004, 03:17 PM
It's a few things, GL.

What are you talking about MSF? GL and Leenah post about Maria in this Elena Bovina thread and I reply to their posts. I would be happy if this thread was just about Bovina. But that's not the way they want it. And I don't mention Masha in 90% of my posts. I often post in the chat forum and GM where she isn't even mentioned. And I also post about other players besides Mashara.

goldenlox
Apr 8th, 2004, 07:17 PM
goldenlox, you were right: the cat likes to mention Masha in 90% of his posts. Again in this thread he was the first one to talk about Masha.

I've just checked this thread today to see whether you guys would talk about Masha in your seemingly Bovina's thread. And as usual, nothing has been changed...
Maria is in the top 20 at age 16. And she gets non-tennis endorsements. Maria winds up in a lot of discussions. That's what tennis is about. Playing well and getting paid.

The Guilty
Apr 8th, 2004, 09:11 PM
Lena has a WC for Estoril :D

goldenlox
Apr 8th, 2004, 09:24 PM
I hope that was front page news in Spain.

The Guilty
Apr 8th, 2004, 09:28 PM
I hope that was front page news in Spain.

Estoril is in Portugal :p :o

The organizers are very happy to have her in the tournament :)

http://infordesporto.sapo.pt/Especiais/Estoril_Open_2004/Noticias/noticiaestorilopen2004_tenestorilopenbovina_080404 _158793.asp

goldenlox
Apr 8th, 2004, 09:31 PM
I posted that in a new thread. Is it in Spanish, or is it in Portuguese?
Big happenings in Portugal can still make the front page in Spain.
I need to take more Social Studies courses.

The Guilty
Apr 8th, 2004, 09:35 PM
I posted that in a new thread. Is it in Spanish, or is it in Portuguese?
Big happenings in Portugal can still make the front page in Spain.
I need to take more Social Studies courses.

Oh sorry didn't see it :o

It's in Portuguese ;)

I don't think Spain cares that much about Portugal :sad:

peanuts
Apr 9th, 2004, 09:05 AM

GL, I'm sure Little Masha's IMG management team would like for Masha K. to be on the Anna-lite team. :) And I think Kournikova fans would like the endearing Little Masha more than they do the high profile Big Masha. :D
the cat - thanks for answering my question but u know i'm bit surprised...i didn't realized elena has a better forehand. i've always thought maria's forehand is better but i guess u have watched elena more...its just really sad that she's not playing.i really want to see more of her game...
oh btw, thanks for the good rep!! :)

the cat
Apr 9th, 2004, 02:43 PM
You're welcome peanuts.

- L i n a -
Apr 9th, 2004, 05:35 PM
Oh sorry didn't see it :o

It's in Portuguese ;)

I don't think Spain cares that much about Portugal :sad:
Portugal has a WTA tournament. Spain doesn't.

Viva Portugal! :)