PDA

View Full Version : Vee's Knee Troubling Her???

GrandSlammed
Feb 21st, 2002, 09:17 PM
Williams defeats Myskina, Makes Semifinals.

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates (Feb. 21) -- Venus Williams overcame a troublesome left knee to edge into the semifinals of the Dubai Open with a labored 6-0, 3-6, 6-4 victory over Russia's Anastasia Myskina on Thursday.

In contrast, Monica Seles, Amelie Mauresmo and Sandrine Testud all enjoyed one-sided victories to progress to the last four.

American Williams refused to directly blame the injury on her erratic performance, but was clearly struggling and refused to dismiss speculation that it could limit her participation in the remainder of the tournament.

"At this point I really can't comment on my knee, but I'm wearing a tape and it has been sore," Williams said.

"It's been very difficult over these past couple of weeks, and this has been my toughest week yet. I'm just doing my best to hold myself together."

When Williams took the first set in just 17 minutes, no-one could have predicted that she would still be on court more than an hour later, fighting to close out the match having lost the second set and built a 5-1 lead in the third.

But she often failed to match the commitment of the energetic Russian and rushed her shots.

"I think that mentally I was just exhausted," she said to explain her collapse after the opening set.

"I fought back to three-all and then it seemed like I couldn't get my racquet on the ball without making a mistake. I was just drained."

GrandSlammed
Feb 21st, 2002, 09:18 PM
...Uuhhhh... somebody say something to make me feel better. :(

Jovon
Feb 22nd, 2002, 02:27 AM
GrandSlammed, I feel your pain! I hope Venus can play through it!:(

joao
Feb 22nd, 2002, 02:52 AM
She'll defeat Testud in straight sets and will have a whole day to recover before she trashes an exhausted Mauresmo (3-setter with a tie-break in the last against Seles) in the finals for the 3d time in a row!!!!!:bounce:

moon
Feb 22nd, 2002, 03:25 AM
she won't have a day of rest.
I think the final is on Saturday.

Carlitos
Feb 22nd, 2002, 10:16 AM
I donŽt think Testud will be a problem for Venus even if sheŽs injured.IŽm sure sheŽll reach the final in straight sets!If then sheŽs not too exhausted and physically fit sheŽll beat either Mauresmo or Seles!:cool:

Infiniti2001
Feb 22nd, 2002, 12:22 PM
I guess the knee was indeed the problem... she lost 1-6 7-6 6-4 .. Go home Venus and rest up.... I hope to see you at Nasdaq 100 again this year.

RAA
Feb 22nd, 2002, 01:52 PM
I always get VERY worried when venus plays back to back like this. I DON'T think its good for her to do so!!!
Argh - that knee!!! I'm WORRIED!! see, all I wanted was for her to be healthy - and now her knee hurts again.
sigh. this is depressing.
well, I know I should be happy because this has been a good few weeks for her, but I'm sad because I wanted those 3 tourneys in a row!!!
Serena BETTER play well in Scottsdale!! Please!!! Please!!!
ruth in phily pa usa

Williams Rulez
Feb 22nd, 2002, 02:50 PM
Not again!! :sad:

Come on Venus!! Heal up and defend your title! :bounce:

Jovon
Feb 23rd, 2002, 03:21 AM
Get well Venus:sad:

Carlitos
Feb 23rd, 2002, 09:44 AM
O Ruth I also wanted Venus to win the 3 titles in a row because I think it is better to become #1 by winning a tourney!Concerning her knee you should not be so negative!Look:since the beginning of the year VenusŽknee problems come and go how they want to but this has not disturbed Venus winning already 3 titles( :eek: ) and making a semi and a quarter(which she lost both in 3 tough sets,injured and against a top 15 player)!:bounce:

moon
Feb 23rd, 2002, 05:21 PM
Carlitos, Venus did win a tournament to become #1, the tournament in Belgium last week ;)

Deira
Feb 23rd, 2002, 08:01 PM
Get well Venus ... heal fully before you play again :kiss:

Ntosake
Feb 25th, 2002, 06:37 PM
I was sorry to hear that Venus is having injury problems again, but hopefully she will get a much needed rest.
For now, I hope she just relaxes and enjoys her success this week. No worries, Venus!:kiss:

Williams Rulez
Feb 26th, 2002, 11:07 AM
Come on Venus!! Heal up for Nasdaq 100! :bounce: :bounce: