PDA

View Full Version : French Open Wildcard

petey_pan
Mar 30th, 2004, 10:18 AM
Ok I know its a little early but who does everyone think should get the wildcard into the French? Molik Pratty are definetly in and Sam should make it as she has barely any points to defend beforehand. I think Wheeler should get it again- she's the best chance of winning matches on clay.

Vicky88
Mar 30th, 2004, 10:33 AM
It will certainly be interesting to see if they continue to spoonfeed Evie even though she has had a lousy year. For me I can't see anyone really deserving the darn thing based on results. I think Sam is the obvious choice if she doesn't get DE, other than that it could be anyone. What is Casey like on the clay? I wouldn't be surprised if TA passed over Christina as they haven't been keen to throw her a bone in the past.

azza
Mar 30th, 2004, 10:38 AM
Cant belive christina didnt get a fucken AO wc no offense to Sophie but the WC shoulda been to Christina :(

broncosven
Mar 30th, 2004, 08:00 PM
between Christina and Casey

SpikeyAidanm
Mar 30th, 2004, 11:44 PM
not Wheeler for a third year in a row :o

Me thinks Dellacqua :)

TS
Mar 31st, 2004, 12:05 AM
Casey Dellacqua will almost surely get it.

azza
Mar 31st, 2004, 12:35 AM
Dellacqua on clay? :unsure:

chris1897
Mar 31st, 2004, 07:09 AM
wont they have a play off as usual???
maybe casey, christina, evie and another player...........
rachel ? monique? trudi?

azza
Mar 31st, 2004, 09:05 AM
evie :haha: :p

broncosven
Mar 31st, 2004, 09:20 AM
IF Evie gets it . . . i will hunt down the guy thats gave it too her

SHE NEEDS TO WIN A MATCH FIRST !!!

im only thinking wheller since she didnt get one into OZ open like the previous 2 years where she got one into French

petey_pan
Mar 31st, 2004, 10:32 AM
Hope they do a play off coz Wheeler will thrash anyone else on clay.

TS
Mar 31st, 2004, 12:49 PM
I agree that a play off is the best option. Let them earn it...put the 4 highest ranked players in a play off.

azza
Mar 31st, 2004, 01:21 PM
i reckon should be 16 ppl Round robin 4 people in each group

[1] Wheeler
Breadmore
Kriz
Cupac

[3] Musgrave
Adamczak
Sekulovski
Welford

[4] Dellacqua
Stewart
Hewitt
Van Elden

[2] Dominikovic
Dittmann
Ferguson
Watson

:shrug:

TS
Mar 31st, 2004, 01:31 PM
No that wouldn't work...it should be 4, like it was in 2002 (Wheeler, Watson, Stewart, McQuillan).

Having 16 is too difficult, and also most of those players don't even deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as a main draw WC! (btw you forgot Horiatopoulos :p)

azza
Mar 31st, 2004, 02:06 PM
:p :angel:

New_balls_please
Mar 31st, 2004, 03:59 PM
DEllacqua, please

broncosven
Mar 31st, 2004, 09:10 PM
But then who would be in your 4

obvioulsy Wheller and Dellacqua but who else

Evie ?? Monique ?? Breadmore ?? Musgrave ??

Still believe even a best of 3 matches between Wheller and Dellacqua would be cool

TS
Mar 31st, 2004, 11:16 PM
But then who would be in your 4

The 4 highest ranked players at the time...that's the fairest way I feel.

chris1897
Apr 1st, 2004, 03:30 AM
Yeah I agree TS

Vicky88
Apr 1st, 2004, 09:00 AM
Only problem with the play off proposal is how do you arrange such a thing in the middle of the season when these girls have to be out working there butts off trying to scrap up the meagre points available to them in Challengers.

I wouldn't be surprised if they do give it to Casey, Christina has been treading water for a long time without any glimpses of a bright future, and Casey appears to be the chosen child now that Sam appears to have made it to a higher level.

TS
Apr 1st, 2004, 10:07 AM
Fair point Vicky...but I don't think Casey deserves to be playing in two Grand Slam main draws in the one year, considering she's ranked about 280...if that's to be the case, I'd like to see her earn it. Sure, she's talented, but she hasn't produced the kind of results where one would sit up and think 'wow, she's gonna be a star'...but you're right. She is the one that TA will be putting all their attention on in these kinds of situations.

Re the pay-off thing...it's a chance to play in the main draw of a major, so I don't think they'd have any qualms about doing it!!

broncosven
Apr 1st, 2004, 11:16 AM
I know u say that the four highest people deserve to be in play off

Evie - hasnt won since beating Musgrave in Oz . . . . .
Christina - just started playing again , ok results
Musgrave - Injured
Dellacqua - playing challengers

i think thats our top four . . .. but agree despite their recent form it is probably the best way to choose

Mattographer
Apr 1st, 2004, 12:36 PM
Trudi Musgrave, Emily Hewson, Lisa McShea and other serve and volleyers! :p I don't think Rachel McQuillan will make comeback by that time :rolleyes:

AUSBOY
Apr 1st, 2004, 12:40 PM
I think a 4 way play off!

btw Wheeler/Evie/Dellacqua/ and ??????

broncosven
Apr 1st, 2004, 07:45 PM
Trudi Musgrave, Emily Hewson, Lisa McShea and other serve and volleyers! :p I don't think Rachel McQuillan will make comeback by that time :rolleyes:

Would love to see Racheal come back at french but unforunately dont think it will happen :sad: :(

broncosven
Apr 1st, 2004, 07:49 PM
Atleast we all think that a 4 way play off should take place

didnt they do that before wimbledon last year ??

Vicky88
Apr 1st, 2004, 08:31 PM
Truthfully I think the biggest problem is to me it appears there isn't anyone who deserves it. However, that said, I am sure there is someone out there who has worked harder than others and hopefully that person will shine thru and get the wildcard.

I would love to see Trudi get it if she is healthy, but we all know that TA aren't going to give her a darn thing.

louloubelle
Apr 1st, 2004, 10:53 PM
Truthfully I think the biggest problem is to me it appears there isn't anyone who deserves it. However, that said, I am sure there is someone out there who has worked harder than others and hopefully that person will shine thru and get the wildcard.

I would love to see Trudi get it if she is healthy, but we all know that TA aren't going to give her a darn thing.
You're right Vicky, often no one really deserves a wild card in regards to the Aussie women. We are just in that great position where our girls can get these gifts that other countries can't.

Either way 4 player play-off for mine too. Round robin or whatever.... the match practice will be pretty handy. Wheeler, Casey, Evie the 4th player???? as no one else makes direct entry in the quallies. So maybe Musgrave or Stewart (who will be in the doubles??)

Aussie_Kim
Apr 2nd, 2004, 12:21 AM
I agree they'll probably give it to Casey because she's young!
Lets hope they don't give out like at the Aus open. Cos that was just embarrassing :lol:

Vicky88
Apr 2nd, 2004, 04:40 AM
Add me to the list of those who does not want to see another WC disaster a-la Oz Open. These cards should not be used to give young players a taste of how tough it is in the big leagues, they will find that out soon enough. To me the aim should be to give someone who is Top 250 a bit of a leg up towards the Top 100. The juniors seem to have plenty of cash provided to them by TA, so give it to someone who probably needs the money and can make use of the points.

Mattographer
Apr 2nd, 2004, 06:17 AM
Ignore my previous message as I was thinking about Wimbledon! :o

crazzzy_grrl
Apr 2nd, 2004, 06:34 AM
I agree they'll probably give it to Casey because she's young!
Lets hope they don't give out like at the Aus open. Cos that was just embarrassing :lol:

I actually went to the same high school as casey, so id like to see her get it :D

ozfan44
Apr 2nd, 2004, 07:07 AM
coz im her no 1 fan id like to see casey get it but i think wheeler should get it but i reckon them two should have a play-off for it

SpikeyAidanm
Apr 2nd, 2004, 07:07 AM
Reid will prob get in automatically so the men's one will prob go to um Derer :shrug: :lol:

broncosven
Apr 2nd, 2004, 08:40 AM
You're right Vicky, often no one really deserves a wild card in regards to the Aussie women. We are just in that great position where our girls can get these gifts that other countries can't.

Either way 4 player play-off for mine too. Round robin or whatever.... the match practice will be pretty handy. Wheeler, Casey, Evie the 4th player???? as no one else makes direct entry in the quallies. So maybe Musgrave or Stewart (who will be in the doubles??)

With a good draw anything is possible . . all the girls (evie, Christina, Casey) have the poteintial win a match

Musgrave is injured isnt she ??

Mattographer
Apr 2nd, 2004, 11:26 AM
Yes, Trudi Musgrave injuried at Acapulco and we have no idea what kind of injury! :(

azza
Apr 2nd, 2004, 11:38 AM
Reid will prob get in automatically so the men's one will prob go to um Derer :shrug: :lol:
dont laugh bitch :p If only Dreams come true :tears:

broncosven
Apr 2nd, 2004, 08:35 PM
Reality is that both Todd and Sam are both likely to the get direct entry into French

ozfan44
Apr 3rd, 2004, 02:31 AM
where the hell do u get derer from
luczak would be next choice i think or draper if he comes back

tiger123
Apr 3rd, 2004, 05:47 AM
where the hell do u get derer from
luczak would be next choice i think or draper if he comes back

GO PETE!

broncosven
Apr 3rd, 2004, 08:27 AM
GO PETE!

Either Luzack . . Draper . . Baccelano . . . Larkham . . Sirrani deserve the MD aswell

Larkham and Baccelano qualifed for Wimbledon and French Last Year so i think they should get WC into it . . . . .

azza
Apr 3rd, 2004, 11:37 AM
Luczak results on Clay are impressive last year he took Srichapan to a 7-5 3-6 7-6 match at Monte Carlo or Hamburg one of those two he was a Q Also Draper took Moya to 3 sets Moya ended up winning 6-3 5-7 6-3 at Monte Carlo or Hamburg

azza
Apr 3rd, 2004, 11:38 AM
Draper also a Q :)

SpikeyAidanm
Apr 3rd, 2004, 11:40 AM
that was in Monte Carlo, Peter shudda won that match :o

azza
Apr 3rd, 2004, 11:50 AM
indeed :(

Experimentee
Apr 8th, 2004, 03:13 PM
Wheeler should get it, shes shown that shes by far the best on clay. I hate the way they discriminate by age, i mean its good to give young juniors opportunities but they have to show that they deserve it first, not like Sophie and Olivia. Just because they are young does not have to mean they are good.
Evie should definitely not get it, seeing she can hardly win matches in challengers anymore :rolleyes:

Vicky88
Apr 15th, 2004, 12:55 PM
Well the entry list for the FO is out and the good news is Sam does have DE. Will be interesting to see how the FO wildcard develops from here. Doesn't someone have a contact in TA they can email to see if they have decided how they will allocate the WC?

broncosven
Apr 15th, 2004, 09:17 PM
Probably a stupid question but do we have 1MD and 1Qualy in womens and mens or only MD WC for both ??

broncosven
Apr 20th, 2004, 09:16 AM
Now since Olivia got called up for Fed (not sarcastic just a fact)

wonder who now TA has swirling in there head for WC

hayden_tennis
Apr 21st, 2004, 03:36 AM
lol good point broncosven! i train with two really promising aussie girls - i dont know if you have heard of them Jenna Rayner and Marinet Morgan. i reckcon Jenna to get nursed by TA in the future. watch out for her in particular. If Marinet was more serious abotu her tennis she could be in line for FO wildcard (shes awesome on clay!)

AUSBOY
Apr 21st, 2004, 05:14 AM
lol good point broncosven! i train with two really promising aussie girls - i dont know if you have heard of them Jenna Rayner and Marinet Morgan. i reckcon Jenna to get nursed by TA in the future. watch out for her in particular. If Marinet was more serious abotu her tennis she could be in line for FO wildcard (shes awesome on clay!)

Marinet is in her 20's now isnt she??? She's part Aboriginal? or Pacific Islander?? She seems to only play the Victorian $10K's sometimes

azza
Apr 21st, 2004, 06:49 AM
Wheeler lost to bea Beillik On Clay :eek: :retard: :retard: 6-7 6-0 4-6

PATHETIC :retard: :rolleyes:

ozfan44
Apr 21st, 2004, 01:33 PM
she playing like shit
give casey the wc

AUSBOY
Apr 21st, 2004, 02:31 PM
Yeah Dellacqua is the obvious choice. If not her give it to Cindy Watson, she has a win/loss of 16/4 this year if you dont count the Rubin loss

ozfan44
Apr 21st, 2004, 02:36 PM
yer but watson has stopped playing
wheeler is good clay player but playing like a pom lately
casey has glandula fever dont know when she will be back hope next week
moniquye plays like shit on clay
lauren is no good on it
trudi i presume is recovering from her knee injury
we dont exactly have stand out choices

AUSBOY
Apr 21st, 2004, 02:43 PM
Give it to Dittmann then, she needs the money! LOL

ozfan44
Apr 21st, 2004, 02:50 PM
yer she sure does

hayden_tennis
Apr 22nd, 2004, 01:19 AM
yeah. she played quallies of the QLD ones last year too

ozfan44
Apr 23rd, 2004, 04:10 AM
ok spoke with Janet Young at Tennis Australia and she informed me that:

There is only a wildcard for the Main Draw
there will be no Play-Off the selectors will chose the recipient!!

tiger123
Apr 23rd, 2004, 05:35 AM

Give the Wildcard to Rachel McQuillian!! what about Evie??

azza
Apr 23rd, 2004, 06:25 AM
Kriz won a 10k on Clay maybe her? :angel:

ozfan44
Apr 23rd, 2004, 06:36 AM
what about me?

Gowza
Apr 23rd, 2004, 07:15 AM
what about me?it isnt fair
ive had enuf now i want my share
cant u see?
i wanna live
but u just take more than u give?

Mattographer
Apr 23rd, 2004, 08:01 AM
Give the Wildcard to Rachel McQuillian!! what about Evie??
:yeah: GO RACHEL!

Most likely she won't got it, anyway :o

Gowza
Apr 23rd, 2004, 08:05 AM
maybe they shouldnt give a wildcard to any australian at least not this year. stosur imo is the only player deserving of one but she has direct entry.

azza
Apr 23rd, 2004, 08:19 AM
give it to Kriz 2 points is like a 10K S/F :banana:

SpikeyAidanm
Apr 23rd, 2004, 08:29 AM
Give it to Wloderszak :awww:

azza
Apr 23rd, 2004, 08:54 AM
oh wait its tennis aus they will prolly give it to Mcquillian or Evie :tape:

broncosven
Apr 23rd, 2004, 09:42 AM
Love how we keep goin round in circles :lol:

Whoever they give it to . . . . good for them . . i just hope its someone a bit deserving !!! :o :eek:

TS
Apr 24th, 2004, 01:16 AM
maybe they shouldnt give a wildcard to any australian at least not this year. stosur imo is the only player deserving of one but she has direct entry.
As it is an agreement between the French and Aus tennis feds, they can't go back on their word and not give one to us...we gave them one this year, so the favour needs to be returned.

I agree with some statetments that NO-ONE deserves it quite frankly :o Mediocrity should not be rewarded...and that's what our girls (below Sam) have been....mediocre.

tiger123
Apr 24th, 2004, 02:05 AM

Ozfan44, When did you speak to Janet Young? She has been in Russia since last Sunday with the Australia Fed Cup team according to Mark Woodforde's diary.

ozfan44
Apr 24th, 2004, 02:57 AM
i have her private e-mail address, as i know her. That's how i spoke to her? any more stupid questions.

AUSBOY
Apr 24th, 2004, 08:27 AM
Whoever gets it, most likely Evie because of last years effort, should count themselves very lucky!!

Just hope whoever it is takes full advantage of it, gets a good draw and can win a round or two.

azza
Apr 24th, 2004, 08:36 AM
Cindy Hasnt stopped playing shes just entering the 50k events and being the alternates and not making the Q draw the silly women maybe start at 25K? :silly:

tiger123
Apr 25th, 2004, 01:52 PM
i have her private e-mail address, as i know her. That's how i spoke to her? any more stupid questions.

No worries Ozfan, no need to get all fiesty. Just was curious.

Matthew_Laker
Apr 30th, 2004, 04:48 AM
Well really none of them :p but give it to Adamczak 2 points can do good for her ranking :p

broncosven
May 12th, 2004, 10:33 AM
Anymore predicitoin or specualtion before it is announced

soon i guess we will all know !!

Vicky88
May 12th, 2004, 12:12 PM
It will be interesting to see who the recipient is. Basically I am hoping that they give to to someone who is at least within the top 300. I will think it most inappropriate if they hand it to someone like Olivia who has nothing to gain from it, as she is financially supported by TA. Give it to Evie, Christina, Casey if she is well enough, or someone else who is out there flogging there guts out week in week out in Challengers. Please just do not give it to a junior, that would be most disappointing for me.

TS
May 12th, 2004, 12:17 PM
Two options at this stage.

Casey and Sophie.

Personally it should be neither....but I'd rather one of them over Christina (really like her but she can't buy a win at the moment) or Evie.

louloubelle
May 12th, 2004, 12:28 PM
Two options at this stage.

Casey and Sophie.

Personally it should be neither....but I'd rather one of them over Christina (really like her but she can't buy a win at the moment) or Evie.
G'day TS :wavey: I think it will be either of those two. The others just don't have any form up. Evie's wallowing in 10K's, Christina battling with the US circuit but having the usual lack of true success, Monique is having 2nd year back blues and Casey is sick and would need to play NOW I would say to justify her w/c fitness-wise.

The reality is Sophie would beat those girls going by current form if there was a playoff and should get it. Yes, shes a junior etc... etc.... supported by TA etc... etc... but hey mediocrity shouldn't be rewarded and players need to show SOMETHING to get this w/c!

azza
May 12th, 2004, 03:14 PM
Sophie F and Luczak

Sophie has actually been in a 50K QF this year and her ranking is very good ;) :p

Luczak he has already proven he can play on Clay he won the 25K at Canberra and made the Final just last week at Ostrava!!

ozfan44
May 13th, 2004, 07:35 AM
Im going to have to agree with azza on this one
these two are easily the two in form players
im gonna be really pissed if evie gets it

AUSBOY
May 13th, 2004, 09:52 AM
100% sure Evie has it! When there hasn't been an in form player, the highest ranked Aussie gets it. Thats how its been done nearly every year, and with Wheeler ranked outside of the top 200 as of next Monday, Evie will get it as the highest ranked Aussie not in the main draw. Evie also has last years strong performance to boost her hopes as well, and its not like her form has been poor as she has been ill and not playing since Feb.

broncosven
May 13th, 2004, 09:57 AM
Sophie is in the best form and has had the most wins like qualifing into 4 tounries and goin deep into some of them

wonder when they will announce it . . .gonna be coming up soon

broncosven
May 13th, 2004, 09:59 AM
And either Peter L or Joe S for mens

Vicky88
May 13th, 2004, 12:51 PM
Despite what I said earlier I can't say I would be complaining if Sophie did get it. Her results have been better than those ranked above her. Evie has been having a shocker, can't remember the last time Christine smelt a win and with Casey being sick there isn't a lot to choose from. I hadn't realised that Sophie was our 9th ranked player. Actually looking at the rankings was quite depressing as it doesn't seem as if any of our girls are going anywhere fast.

G'day TS :wavey: I think it will be either of those two. The others just don't have any form up. Evie's wallowing in 10K's, Christina battling with the US circuit but having the usual lack of true success, Monique is having 2nd year back blues and Casey is sick and would need to play NOW I would say to justify her w/c fitness-wise.

The reality is Sophie would beat those girls going by current form if there was a playoff and should get it. Yes, shes a junior etc... etc.... supported by TA etc... etc... but hey mediocrity shouldn't be rewarded and players need to show SOMETHING to get this w/c!

broncosven
May 13th, 2004, 09:24 PM
Thats true Christina, Evie, Monique and Lauren B have all dropped

where as Sophie is the biggest mover and then Brianne, Cindy, Casey, Nicole and Jaslyn have all improved slightly

AUSBOY
May 14th, 2004, 03:28 AM
Sure Sophies results have been promising and her rank has gone up BUT most of Sophies wins have come against no names though! Her highest win this year has been over Aiko Nakamura ranked 200, and Mi-ra Jeon 206!

Wheeler fairs little better, her biggest victory this year was over world number 198 Yan Xie.

You still cant match their wins to Evie as they arent in the same calibre!

Evie has at least pushed two top 50 players to 3 sets, and in fairness missed all of March and April with illness!

If Sophie was being considered, Tennis Australia would have had her playing clay court events in Europe now, so you can count her out!

Even Wheeler has only just left for Europe in the last day or two.

So looking at which players are anywhere near Roland Garros, its only Wheeler and Dominikovic. It can't possibly be anyone else who gets it

louloubelle
May 14th, 2004, 05:52 AM
Anyway just seen that Wheeler has got it.... lucky girl!!!!

.................................................. .................................................. ..

Yes the way things are panning out you are probably right with either Evie or Wheels... but I'm an supreme optimist and hope that Sophie maybe coming down for French juniors :confused: and they throw it her way!

However the ONLY justification for Evie getting it is her result from last years French, nothing else. Or some sympathy for her illness.... Her play during the 25K in Nov was pathetic, she scrapped for a win over Musgrave @ AO (probably the only player in the draw she could beat), beaten by Sekulovski in Bendigo and for an ex-top 70 player to take a set off a couple of top 50 players isn't that big of a deal.

Ferguson may not be beating anyone special, but atleast she's winning and has some genuine grit. Evie would take her results this year I'd reckon.

TS
May 16th, 2004, 02:45 AM
Congrats Christina :)

Amazing that she will now play in her 3rd FO main draw, compared to only 2 in her home country :o

I don't think she has much chance to win a match, but you gotta be in it to win it...and she's more than capable of springing a surprise on her day (admittedly she's had noneof those lately).

Oh. And Nicole will be there to help her out :kiss:

azza
May 16th, 2004, 05:27 AM
Pratt and Wheeler :inlove: :p