PDA

View Full Version : Farina Elia's Profile picture on Nasdaq site isn't her

Blazedboy
Mar 23rd, 2004, 09:06 PM
I think its Nathalie Dechy no? if this is the flaw Im shocked, shes a top player...they should know better

Darop.
Mar 23rd, 2004, 09:09 PM
yes, i noticed too....:rolleyes: as if she were 150th ranked, she in freaking top 15...

Shooter
Mar 23rd, 2004, 11:42 PM
You are right. It's Dechy. There have been a couple of other posts about this. The bio pictures on that web site are messed up in general. The pictures themselves are o.k. But a large % of players don't have pics. Compare this to the Indian Wells website, where I had to look long and hard to find one player with a missing picture. Nasdaq is doing a poor job in this respect. I've noticed two other problems with the bio pics.

1) Under every bio pic there are two credits: one to the photographer for the image, and one to the WTA for the bio. The word 'courtesy' is spelled incorrectly in EVERY bio pic credit (it's spelled 'courtesty'). It's particularly surprising since right underneath the misspelled version of 'courtesty', there's a correctly spelled version in the WTA credit.

2) The picture for Anne Kremer is NOT Anne Kremer. It's a not-so-good picture of Maria Sanchez Lorenzo.

Obviously Nasdaq is devoting very minimal resources to their website. Who's in charge? How often do they look over the site? Do they know anything about tennis? Are there any checking or feedback mechanisms in place?

Hello! Miami-Nasdaq !! Is anybody home!!!

Tomas22
Mar 24th, 2004, 12:07 AM
[QUOTE=Shooter]

2) The picture for Anne Kremer is NOT Anne Kremer. It's a not-so-good picture of Maria Sanchez Lorenzo.

[QUOTE]

In Sanchez Lorenzo profile: "no photo available"!!!
And I think that María Antonia photo in Kremer profile is more beautiful than Dechy one in Farina Elia profile... ;)

Interesting info friends!!!

Shooter
Mar 24th, 2004, 09:40 PM
Apparently someone at Nasdaq is alive and well and cares about the accuracy of their web site. They have corrected the problems we've been discussing in this thread. Hallelujah!

Darop.
Mar 24th, 2004, 09:48 PM
Well, now Farina ELia has "no photo available"...Just look on google you can find hundreds...

Tomas22
Mar 24th, 2004, 10:13 PM
And what about high density photos? Miami photos? Pacific Life Open photos? Qualy photos?
Thanks ;)

Shooter
Mar 25th, 2004, 03:15 AM
Well, now Farina ELia has "no photo available"...Just look on google you can find hundreds...

True - but 'no photo available' is much better than putting up an incorrect photo. They can't just grab any photo off the web and use it. They could be sued for that. They have to be careful to get the photographer's permission, which often means paying the photographer. 'No photo available' is really shorthand for 'No photo available from Cynthia Lum'. For some reason Nasdaq decided to use headshots exclusively from Cynthia. She has an impressive collection of quality headshots. But no, one, single, photographer has pictures of all the players. It's particularly difficult to keep up with the new players. Who knows why they decided to go with Cynthia. Just about every tournament website uses headshots from only 1 or 2 sources. It's probably just simpler for them. Even the grand slam events have shocking holes in their inventories of head shots. The Pacific Life event last week had BY FAR the most comprehensive collection of head shots I've seen for any tournament. Most of those shots (for the women) came from Getty who seem to be building a collection of headshots of WTA players. Getty probably gets paid for taking the pics and/or the use of them. Maybe Cynthia cut a better deal with Nasdaq? Maybe she didn't charge anything at all? Maybe she just wanted the free advertising from all those photo credits.

The more interesting question to me is - Who made the error of identifying the headshots incorrectly - Cynthia Lum or a Nasdaq employee? And why didn't somebody at Nasdaq catch it?