PDA

View Full Version : Nasdaq-100

Pages : [1] 2

tenn_ace
Mar 22nd, 2004, 12:53 PM
Yesterday I went to see girls practicing. I didn't spend a lot of time there, but saw Vera D hitting with Tania Panova. Neither girls hit particularly well.
Tania's coach was there - or someone who is helping her: a young Russian guy.

Vera's mom was on court sitting in the shade. Bad news is that Vera still doesn't have a coach (or at least nobody was there yesterday). It's starting to look pathetic.

I also saw Lina hitting with her mom. Same story here: no coach. Lina's mom was volleying back to Lina who was hitting from the baseline. Unfortunately, those volleyes weren't creating any challenges for Lina.

Tomorrow I'm planning to see Vera, Masha and Alinka play their matches... also maybe Maret and Anna-Lena, Ruxandra and MGM...

moo_ont
Mar 22nd, 2004, 12:59 PM
Thanks tenn_ace for the report. Anyway, did you see Elena D?

tenn_ace
Mar 22nd, 2004, 01:05 PM
no Lena yet or any other top players (except for Serna and a star Alex)... but again I went when it was very hot (noon to 2pm), so maybe they were practicing earlier or later.

vaiva
Mar 22nd, 2004, 01:18 PM
Have fun, tenn_ace and keep us updated :)

moo_ont
Mar 22nd, 2004, 01:20 PM
no Lena yet or any other top players (except for Serna and a star Alex)... but again I went when it was very hot (noon to 2pm), so maybe they were practicing earlier or later.
Thanks again. :D

Yeah, have fun there tenn_ace. And, keep us posted.

King Aaron
Mar 22nd, 2004, 03:21 PM
Thanks and have fun. :) Please look out for Jelena Dokic for me :o.

the cat
Mar 22nd, 2004, 03:34 PM
tenn_ace, I think it's time for Vera Douchevina to start training at the Bollettieri Tennis Academy or the Evert Tennis Academy. If Maria Sharapova can train at Bollettieri's and Maria Kirilenko can train at Evert's then Vera D. can train at one of those academies, too. She really needs to get moving in the right direction. And a good young prospect like her should be have a good coaching situation.

Do you try to talk to the Russina's, tenn_ace?

bubble
Mar 22nd, 2004, 03:58 PM

yeah, do let us know when u see Elena D working out with her new coach :)

Mathijs
Mar 22nd, 2004, 05:40 PM
thanks for the report tenn_ace :)

tenn_ace
Mar 22nd, 2004, 10:03 PM
thanks a lot to everyone... yeah, I'm having a blast watching all the girls who we never get to see on TV (except for Vera D.;))

today I arrived a little late (no thanks to a traffic :(), so I completely missed Alinka's match. Not sure whether she played so well or Ansley had a bad hair day...

anyways, when I arrived the first match on Masha's court was still in progress. It gave me a little bit of time to wonder around the grounds. Saw lots of players, but mostly not Russians. (with exception of Misha Youzhny).

Masha's match: Masha didn't play badly... It could have been a great result against another player, but the Chinese girls was overpowering Masha. Zi Yan hits with two hands of both sides and moves pretty well, but Masha also wasn't creating much from the baseline. When Masha was able to stay in the rally, she wasn't as consistent as the Chinese. There were few points when Masha mixed up: threw a drop shot, air ball, slice, back spin, lob or angle shot (even though not with a lot of pace). She won probably around 90-95% of those points. Unfortunately, after 2-3 points like that she (Masha) was going back to boom-boom tennis.

Vera's match: Vera was a lot better. Severine got some injury (asked for a medical time out and got a heavy strap on her thigh) after the first set, but she didn't look a lot slower in the second set. vera was just better overpowering the French.
Dinara watched the first set of her match. She was in a great mood, talked to some guy (who, I understood, is with Vera). I wasn't really listenning what they were talking about excpet for one question from that guy. He asked Dinara whether Golovanov is really helping Marat. The way Dinara answered made me think that either someone else has asked that question before or the Safinas have doubts themselves. (basically, she confirmed bery emphatically (sp?))...

I have a little more to report, I will do it a little later...

fresh2flash
Mar 22nd, 2004, 10:49 PM
Have fun, tenn_ace! :) Looking forward to your reports :wavey:

vaiva
Mar 23rd, 2004, 09:33 AM
tenn_ace, I'm not sure I understood this part

He asked Dinara whether Golovanov is really helping Marat. The way Dinara answered made me think that either someone else has asked that question before or the Safinas have doubts themselves. (basically, she confirmed bery emphatically (sp?))...

Could you be a bit more specific? :angel:

King Aaron
Mar 23rd, 2004, 10:48 AM
Thanks tenn_ace. :D Well done Masha, though she should really mix it up more often. ;)

bubble
Mar 23rd, 2004, 01:05 PM

:confused: yeah.. what do you mean ? :angel:

TheBoiledEgg
Mar 23rd, 2004, 01:37 PM
thanx tenn_ace for the news/reports :)

the cat
Mar 23rd, 2004, 02:48 PM
Thanks for the reports, tenn_ace. But what is an air ball in tennis? I know what an air ball is in basketball. But what is an air ball in tennis? I've followed tennis for about 20 years and never heard anyone use the term air ball associated with tennis. You are the first. ;)

tenn_ace
Mar 23rd, 2004, 08:03 PM

This guy asked Dinara whether Golovanov is helpful to Marat (i.e. helping him to improve) and Dinara was a little too emphatic to say yes. It sounded like they had been some other questions/discussions about Golovanov (ys was the first one to say here that it's a joke hiring Golovanov as Marat's coach).

tenn_ace
Mar 23rd, 2004, 08:06 PM
Thanks for the reports, tenn_ace. But what is an air ball in tennis? I know what an air ball is in basketball. But what is an air ball in tennis? I've followed tennis for about 20 years and never heard anyone use the term air ball associated with tennis. You are the first. ;)

the cat, behave yourself :p ;) ...

what I meant is to throw a moonball, but since that word has a slight negative connotation, I didn't want to use it when talking about my favourite player... :tape:

tenn_ace
Mar 23rd, 2004, 08:23 PM
BREAKING NEWS: I saw Lena D. practicing today. (finally! :bounce: :banana: :kiss:) She was hitting the ball with Lina K. When I arrived to their courts, Lena was practicing a return. She was doing very well. I was impressed. Then she started practicing a serve. The good news: no spin serves - most are flat ones... The bad news: percentage is very low. Her serve motion is slightly different: more fluid. Olga was saying something to her after each serve, but the only thing that I could hear is her saying to Lena not to force it.

After that Lina and Lena played a few games. Lena was hitting quite well off both sides (not as good as Lina though). Her serve percentage dropped even more: about 10% first serve in and quite a few DF's. She also seemed to forget at times about her service motion. All in all, I'm not expecting a whole a lot from Lena in this tournament. I hope I'm wrong. Lina, on the other hand, has impressed me... I know that she has a tougher draw than Lena, but she is hitting some really good ball.

I couldn't wait until they finish practicing, since I wanted to see Alinka and Masha finish their matches, so I have decided to ask Lena's mother whether Lena has completely recovered from an injury. A ball girl dismissed me... :mad: oh well. I have to say she was doing a great job picking up the balls, concentrating on a task. I just think that she too overprotective of Lena. Sometimes, I'm wondering whether Lena has ever kissed a man (other than her dad or brother), let alone had sex. With the mother like that, I wouldn't be surprised if not.

tenn_ace
Mar 23rd, 2004, 08:36 PM
now a few words about matches...

Alinka's match was something really bizarre... I'm not going to talk about the score, you all saw that she almost blew a 5-1 lead in the final set. After the first set, Alina was really mad. Suddenly I hear that someone next to me was talking in Russian. As it has turned out, it was Alinka's mom saying to Alinka's dad to leave the court. "Get out of here... It's all your fault that she lost" Then she pinched him twice... then she said again to him to get out... And he did. On the way out he pumped his fist towards Alina... Bizzarre..

After the second set started, ALinka's mom has sat down next to Alina's coach (French or Italian, I couldn't understand since he was switching between French and Italian). After 3 or 4 points after that, Alinka told her mom to move away from a coach... So she did. She left the court.

In general, Alinka does hit a good ball, but she tends to get very negative about any little thing, error. And when she does, it takes her a few games to get to normal self... Luckliy, she has enough time to recover and def. Maret. Both girls were exhausted at the end of this match, moreso Alina than Maret. Iremember thinking, that if it goes to a tie-break, Alina would lose.

In general, it was a good match... both player streaky, but hit a good heavy ball. Maret has a little more variety and better serve than Alina. Maret should get to the top 100 very soon.

tenn_ace
Mar 23rd, 2004, 08:40 PM
Masha's match: I haven't watched a lot of it (mostly set 3). Masha didn't play well at all. Her coach told that to her after match. Both girls (Kirkland and Masha) are boom boom tennis players and generate about the same pace... Masha really nedds to work on all aspects of her game. She doesn't really have any great weapons, no variety. Two guys next to me (some coaches) were surprised how she got to the 3rd round of the US Open. As much as I didn't like to hear THAT, I had to agree she is not impressive teenager right now.

Dinara was watching this match (3rd set).

moo_ont
Mar 23rd, 2004, 08:44 PM
Many thanks tenn_ace for the report. :worship: Your comment on Elena D's mother is just :lol: :haha: :lol:

BYW, it's quite bad news hearing that Elena isn't playing well now. I also wonder if she has fully recovered from her injury. Perhaps, that you ask her directly is better.;)

Thanks again for the great report.

tenn_ace
Mar 23rd, 2004, 08:44 PM
Vera's match. This was one way match all the way. Vera was even better than the scoreline indicated. She lost a bit of her concentration in the first set, but even than she was better in all aspects: power, variety, consistency, etc.

I guess, Vera has signed a sponsorship agreement with Adidas. (has she played in it against Venus? I just don't remember).

One more thing: Natalia was behaving really badly. I don't know what Vera did or anything, but Gussoni was really mean and a bit unsportsmanlike towards Vera... :mad:

tenn_ace
Mar 23rd, 2004, 08:46 PM
Many thanks tenn_ace for the report. :worship: Your comment on Elena D's mother is just :lol: :haha: :lol:

BYW, it's quite bad news hearing that Elena isn't playing well now. I also wonder if she has fully recovered from her injury. Perhaps, that you ask her directly is better.;)

Thanks again for the great report.
I'm planning to spend a whole day there tomorrow and I'm going to ask either Lena herself or Olga.

BTW, Lena neve comes back quickly from an injury.. it usually takes her few matches/tournaments. hopefully, I'm wrong.

moo_ont
Mar 23rd, 2004, 08:49 PM
I'm planning to spend a whole day there tomorrow and I'm going to ask either Lena herself or Olga.

BTW, Lena neve comes back quickly from an injury.. it usually takes her few matches/tournaments. hopefully, I'm wrong.
Oh! That's bad :(. I think I shouldn't expect much from her this time. The great news is that Olga is traveling with Elena :D. Do they seem to have good relationship?

tenn_ace
Mar 23rd, 2004, 08:52 PM
Oh! That's bad :(. I think I shouldn't expect much from her this time. The great news is that Olga is traveling with Elena :D. Do they seem to have good relationship?

yeah, they seem to get along very well. You could say that Lena has lots of respect for Olga.

moo_ont
Mar 23rd, 2004, 08:54 PM
Thanks, tenn_ace. Hopefully, Elena will play better, She has about 3-4 days before her first match.

You have fun tomorrow. :D

tenn_ace
Mar 23rd, 2004, 09:04 PM
thanks, moo ont...

DEETHELICK
Mar 23rd, 2004, 09:05 PM
Thanks for the reports!! Thank God Elena is back with us!! At least her service motion is being tweaked and it takes time to get used to a new serve!! And as for hitting the ball well, once Elena toughs out a few matches, she'll be fine. She is too good a ballstriker to completely lose the plot!

Good news about Olga too, hopefully Elena can really step it up big time this year!

TheBoiledEgg
Mar 23rd, 2004, 09:07 PM
thanx tenn_ace for the news and info :)
good to see Lina hitting well :) and Lena back too :)
(no strappings u could see on either Lina or Lena ??)

Vera D.... good on ya :) ....... she hasnt worn adidas before, so must be a new deal ( i hope)

Alinka's parents :eek: ...... i dont think they've seen her play for along time as they both back home and Alina lives in Florida.

saab95
Mar 23rd, 2004, 10:43 PM

22.03.04 :)
http://boxmail.biz/constructor/img/92280.jpg

moo_ont
Mar 23rd, 2004, 10:48 PM
Thanks, saab :) . Elena is so pretty in that pic :hearts:.

the cat
Mar 24th, 2004, 12:32 AM
Thanks for more fine reports, tenn_ace. You never know, Jon Werheim might give you a call to help him out. ;)

It's too bad Maria Kirilenko isn't playing better. But thanks for you honest opinions. But the smartest man in tennis Brad Gilbert thinks highly of Masha's game and posted his very positive comments about her game on his official website.

And was Elena's mom the ball girl or was there a real ball girl? tenn_ace, I've sometimes wondered if Elena is too close to her mother and if that interferes with her tennis. I think it's great that they have a close relationship. But they are more than mother and daughter. When Elena's mother decided to be Elena's coach that was a mistake. She should be the mother and let a professional be the coach. I hope that's the situation now.

Daniel
Mar 24th, 2004, 06:29 AM

vaiva
Mar 24th, 2004, 10:27 AM
Thanks for reports and clarifications, tenn_ace

Hope you're bringing luck to Russinas :)

Maori
Mar 24th, 2004, 10:51 AM
[QUOTE=tenn_ace]Yesterday I went to see girls practicing. I didn't spend a lot of time there, but saw Vera D hitting with Tania Panova. Neither girls hit particularly well.
Tania's coach was there - or someone who is helping her: a young Russian guy.

I am sure it's her brother.....Thanks for the report,teen_ace!!!

vaiva
Mar 24th, 2004, 11:25 AM
Thanks for the report, teen_ace!!!

Now that was funny :lol:

tenn_ace
Mar 24th, 2004, 01:47 PM
the weather is not good today... it will be raining at some point, around noon. Awfully windy. It will stay like this until Sat.

the cat, Vera D. = a ballgirl

the cat
Mar 24th, 2004, 02:14 PM
tenn_ace, Vera D. was the ball girl. In Russian Roulette Vera D. is Vera Douchevina. But I think you meant Vera Dementieva. Da? ;)

moo_ont
Mar 24th, 2004, 03:53 PM
the weather is not good today... it will be raining at some point, around noon. Awfully windy. It will stay like this until Sat.
Take good care tenn_ace, so that you can go enjoying the tournament until the end. :wavey:

tenn_ace
Mar 25th, 2004, 12:30 PM
ok.. here is a little scoop on what happened/I saw yesterday.

Since there were no matches that I really wanted to see when I arrived I decided to go straight to practice courts. Nothing was really happenning there either. Yesterday was a kids day (until approximately 2pm)), so players were all hiding (unless they were
scheduled to play).

The first Russian girl I saw was Vera D., who was coming back from her practice. She was walking with her mom. Vera is a really big girl (no wonder she can generate that pace).

Next I saw was Nastya, who was hitting with Daniela H. They actually played games.
Nastya won 4 of 5 that I saw and was overpowering Daniela (if that makes sense to you!). She was sering pretty well and hit very clean off both sides. Daniela was getting a little frustrated at time. Nastya was dressed soooooo sexy! She wasn't wearing anything special, but with her body anything, I guess, would look like yiemie... Then Jenn arrived to this court... Both Dani and Nastya kissed her and had a very quick conversation with Jenn (I guess, some jokes, cause they all laughed). On the way off the court, Daniela asked Nastya who she'd play.. Nastya said some Russian girl, her last name starts with K. Daniela tried to guess: Kirilenko? Then she said: I don't know.. There are so many young Russian girls these days. (you damn right, baby!), which Nastya responded to: yeah, there are many of us. Then Nastya said that she'd play Kutuzova. I wished Nastya udachi...

After I finish watching Nastya I went to Davydenko's match. Both players went hot and cold in this match. Thomas was really pissed at himself the whole match.
His serve was really off in the 1st set (probably because of the wind).
I'm glad, Kolya could pull it off.

After that I went to see Golovin. She played on a grandstand which is located separately, so I walked by some practice courts again. I saw Vera Z. was hitting with Lena L. Lena was really good. I wish she'd play like this in her real matches. Girls were having a great time, kidding around with each other and Nastya, who was there on the court as well hanging out and "working" as a ballgirl... It was funny, when Lena L. stared saying to her that Nastya wasn't doing a good job. (it was, of course, a joke, cause Nastya was great). The only problem is that Vera seems to have a little more around her waste. I know that she's never been Daniela or Nastya, but it looks a little more than usual. I hope it's all muscle or that she is just a big girl (as Jenn would have said)...

Golovin's match: Tathiana was impressive. She still makes some silly ue here and there,
but some of her shots (although not superpowerful) are really well placed. She moved Anabel around, until she had a chance to hit a winner or Anabel makes an ue. I left after the first set, since it was very clear which way it going.

I went back to some practice courts and saw Lena D. leaving one of them. I thought this is a great opportunity to ask her a question, but when a ballgirl saw me there (I was the only fan who cared about Lena), she made sure that she's between me and her. oh well, I thought... F'ck that... I'm not a stalker and I don't need some obsessed mother to make me feel that way.

So I went to see Sveta K. practicing. God, this WAS THE PRACTICE. She was doing drill after drill after drill... Martina N. was right saying that Sveta's work ethic is awesome.
I decided to watch it and while watching I spoke to Sveta's guest. Her name is Arantxa. She's a close friend of Sveta and came here just to watch her play. She's also a close friend of ASV, who came to Miami to watch Sveta play as well. I asked Arantxa-2 whether it's true that ASV would play in Athens, which she responded to: it's still in negotiation stage with Spanish Tennis Federation. (so, I guess, not). By that time, Sveta finished practicing and Arantxa-2 said that I'm Russian. Sveta looked so happy... She actually started asking me questions (how strange is that?). Anyways, I told her that I'm her fan and, as her fan, I think she should withdraw from Charlseton and AI, because it's not good to play so many weeks in a row. To my delight, she said she has already done it. She invited me to watch her match on Fri... BTW, Arantxa-2 said that ASV would be there and I would probably get to meet her (although I have already, 2 years ago in IW). All in all, Sveta seems to be the nicest and most open one of all Russian girls. Of course, I said I'd be watching her on Fri and wished her luck.

After that I went to see Igor Andreev playing his match. On the way to the court I saw Vera D. coming back from her second practice (!).

I haven't seen Nadia or Masha S. yet... But I know that a lot of young males there are dying to see Masha S. (overheard few conversations).

That's it. The weather is going to be the same as it was yesterday. Cool (around 20-23), with lots of wind and few drops of rain here and there. I will certainly watch Russian girls play and will report later.

oh yeah... I'm having a great time. I wish Russian girls were a little more open minded
(like Spaniards or South Americans), but what can you do? It does run in our mentality.

moo_ont
Mar 25th, 2004, 12:44 PM
Wow...thanks tenn_ace for the great and infomative report. Myskina seemed so nice to everyone and have great relationship with any players. And, Sveta is really nice, too. She treated you so well....great for you :).

So, we still don't know how Elena D is. :( I think she pretty much separates from other Russian girls cuz of her mother. It would be nice if she practiced with other girls, not only Lina K. What I am saying is she can learn something from them as well. I think she sticks with her mom a bit too much. But, it's all her choice. She knows what is the best for her...

I also wish all of the Russian girls the best.

TheBoiledEgg
Mar 25th, 2004, 01:31 PM
thanx tenn_ace for another great piece :) :D

good Sveta's withdrawn from AI and C. needs a decent break, cos she's not likely to get one really now until ................ :eek:

Lena D's mother..... she can be a pest but she's ok really.
She's always around :o

vaiva
Mar 25th, 2004, 03:23 PM
Great report, tenn_ace!

Sveta is a smart girl.

Lena D's mother sounds scary. Maybe you can hire a spy [female] to approach Lena for you ;)

TartarVicario
Mar 25th, 2004, 04:50 PM
Thanks T.A. :worship:

*jealous* you've met Sveta and Arantxa-2 ;) .And you are going to see Arantxa-1 :hearts: :bounce:

Good luck on Friday Sveta :kiss: and Have a nice day T.A. :wavey:

Mathijs
Mar 25th, 2004, 06:02 PM
Thanks for your report Tenn_ace really nice to read. hope to read some more soon! :D :D

Vass22
Mar 25th, 2004, 06:24 PM
What a report!

the cat
Mar 25th, 2004, 06:33 PM
Isn't Lena D's mother married to Lena D's father? Shouldn't Lena's father have his wife around some of the time?

goldenlox
Mar 25th, 2004, 07:09 PM
Vika is playing Irvin right now. She is not playing Nastya unless she wins.

goldenlox
Mar 25th, 2004, 07:52 PM
The Russian revolution

Nine Russian women are among the 32 seeds, and it would have been 10 if Elena Bovina had not withdrawn with a foot injury. There will be 13 Russian women in the 96-player draw. ...

It's a draw that could not have been kinder to the Russians. Only two of the nine seeds could face each other before the fourth round with only No. 3 Anastasia Myskina and No. 28 Lina Krasnoroutskaya on target for a third-round clash. ...

In addition to the seeds, one other Russian, Tatiana Panova, is straight into the main draw and Alina Jidkova, Vera Douchevina and Maria Kirilenko qualified.

the cat
Mar 25th, 2004, 07:56 PM
Just think of how many Russina's would be in the draw if they were healthy. All of these Russina's playing makes me think of Anna Kournikova and how she should be a part of this.

goldenlox
Mar 25th, 2004, 07:58 PM
Anna lives right nearby. But I've read she's in Australia. Two months too late.

the cat
Mar 25th, 2004, 08:21 PM
It's sadly ironic that Anna goes to Australia in March instead of in January. :(

goldenlox
Mar 25th, 2004, 08:23 PM
Anna gets to enjoy Australia without practicing and playing. She will probably go to Paris in August.

- L i n a -
Mar 25th, 2004, 08:44 PM
We know Anna isn't in Miami. She's not coming back any time soon. It's pretty likely she'll never play competitively again. Let's move on. :p

goldenlox
Mar 25th, 2004, 08:50 PM
Anna should have played doubles at this tournament. She needs to get back on court.
Anna is going to wind up like Lena. A former player with an AO championship.

- L i n a -
Mar 25th, 2004, 08:52 PM
Anna would rather play exhos for the rest of her career. That's a fine decision. She doesn't want to come back. End. Fin.

goldenlox
Mar 25th, 2004, 08:54 PM
Kournikova vows to be back

I could snap my fingers and have any man I wanted

Anna Kournikova fans will be delighted to know that the Russian has not yet given up on a return to tennis.

"My target is to be fully fit and then to start winning major matches again," she said optimistically.

The 23-year-old has not played since last June because of a chronic back injury, but she has barely been out of the headlines in that time and she hasn't lost any of her confidence.

"If you saw me with my clothes off you'd see that my body is in great shape and ready to take on the world," she said.

"I could snap my fingers and have any man I wanted but I have too much respect for myself for that.

"I was offered a part in a Bond film but had to turn it down because of my sporting commitments. I'd still love to be a Bond girl though. Perhaps that will come after my tennis."

She then added rather mysteriously: "People can look then wonder about the taste and the sensuous delights of the dish, but when it comes down to it they simply can't afford such an expensive luxury."

This is from the BBC. They don't know Anna's age. When is Lena coming back? I need to see her say something.

- L i n a -
Mar 25th, 2004, 08:57 PM
That article hardly makes me believe Anna was serious for any of it...

And "major" matches can be interpreted many ways.

goldenlox
Mar 25th, 2004, 08:59 PM
Anna is having fun. That is what you are supposed to do when you're rich.
If she loves tennis, she will be back.

Vass22
Mar 25th, 2004, 09:10 PM
Anna comeback! Do you guys think she's not comming back because she's still injured or doesn't realy want to? Or both?

goldenlox
Mar 25th, 2004, 09:17 PM
I think Anna wants to come back. But first, she wants to have some fun. All she ever did was play tennis.
There are other fun things to do. Anna is having a little fun, then she comes back.
Doubles with Lena B.

the cat
Mar 25th, 2004, 10:08 PM
I agree with you about Anna wanting to have some fun. I just hope she really wants to come back. And why do you think she and Bovina will play doubles? That would be some team.

goldenlox
Mar 25th, 2004, 10:13 PM
I just think Lena and Anna would be a successful team. Both are really good at the net. Lena has a powerful game.

the cat
Mar 25th, 2004, 10:44 PM
They could be a very good doubles team. But the odds of them teaming up to play doubles together is pretty slim.

the cat
Mar 25th, 2004, 10:47 PM
I hope tenn_ace didn't get drenched today in the rain in Key Biscayne! :eek: :umbrella: :rain:

goldenlox
Mar 25th, 2004, 11:06 PM
Do they dry the court with towels like the US Open?

- L i n a -
Mar 25th, 2004, 11:07 PM
Lena and Anna would never play doubles... Lena can't stand Anna, and Anna would want to choose someone better, to carry her to some wins.

Combine that with the fact that both their careers are closer to the end, then the beginning... it's even more unlikely.

goldenlox
Mar 25th, 2004, 11:16 PM
The point is Anna needs a top level player as a partner. And Lena is an excellent doubles player.
Lena now understands how important playing doubles is. She is still one of the top 25 money earners in 2004. Over half is from mixed.

- L i n a -
Mar 25th, 2004, 11:18 PM
Lena only understands overtraining, not eating properly, and pissing her career away.

goldenlox
Mar 25th, 2004, 11:19 PM
That means they are a perfect team.

- L i n a -
Mar 25th, 2004, 11:28 PM
No, because Anna still maintains a nearly perfect figure.

goldenlox
Mar 25th, 2004, 11:29 PM
Lena is going for the Gisele look.

goldenlox
Mar 26th, 2004, 12:17 AM
So Nastya was practicing with Hantuchova? Then she withdrew? And she already withdrew from Warsaw -

One more thing, here is the article from J&S Cup site and what exactly Nastya said:

Anastazja Myskina had to withdraw from the Cup due to an injury. This allows Silvia Farina-Elia to enter the main draw.
The world's number 5 ranked player sustained a painful injury of her left foot's second toe. She will be unable to practice and compete for at least four weeks.
"I regret withdrawing from the J&S Cup but I have been advised to rest my toe and not play for four weeks in a row, which means I won't be in shape to compete is such a strong tournament. I look forward to going to Warsaw next year" stated Myskina.
Her place in the main draw will be given to the Italian player, Silvia Farina-Elia, who is currently ranked fifteenth in the world.

I don't understand how Nastya was practicing if she withdraws from Warsaw before.

goldenlox
Mar 26th, 2004, 12:25 AM
With Nastya out, that quarter is wide open. Dechy has a good chance to make the semis again.

VeraNuVirgosFan
Mar 26th, 2004, 12:55 AM
I wish Russian girls were a little more open minded, but what can you do? It does run in our mentality.
Thanks a lot for the very interesting report - I wish I could also be there!

tenn_ace, what do you mean by saying that Russian girls are not very open minded? Can you please say something more about this?

ys
Mar 26th, 2004, 01:36 AM
The only problem is that Vera seems to have a little more around her waste.
:rolls:

goldenlox
Mar 26th, 2004, 01:42 AM
Schedule of Play for Friday, March 26, 2004

Stadium - 11:00 AM Start

1. Serena Williams (USA) [1] vs Marta Marrero (ESP)
2. Guillermo Coria (ARG) [3] vs Wayne Ferreira (RSA)
3. Jennifer Capriati (USA) [4] vs Klara Koukalova (CZE)
4. Robin Soderling (SWE) vs Lleyton Hewitt (AUS) [17]

Stadium - 7:00 PM Start

1. Maria Sharapova (RUS) [17] vs Shinobu Asagoe (JPN)
2. Roger Federer (SUI) [1] vs Nikolay Davydenko (RUS)

Grandstand - 10:00 AM Start

1. Julien Benneteau (FRA) vs Mardy Fish (USA) [16]
2. Maria Vento-Kabchi (VEN) vs Ai Sugiyama (JPN) [6]
3. Irakli Labadze (GEO) vs Xavier Malisse (BEL)
4. Goran Ivanisevic (CRO) vs Rafael Nadal (ESP) [32]
5. Nicolas Kiefer (GER) vs Rainer Schuettler (GER) [6]
6. Tathiana Garbin (ITA) vs Vera Zvonareva (RUS) [7]
7. Gaston Gaudio (ARG) [30] vs Robby Ginepri (USA)

Court 1 - 10:00 AM Start

1. Jarkko Nieminen (FIN) [29] vs Todd Martin (USA)
2. Jurgen Melzer (AUT) vs Tim Henman (GBR) [7]
3. Juan Monaco (ARG) vs Joachim Johansson (SWE)
4. Dinara Safina (RUS) [23] vs Tatiana Golovin (FRA)
5. Svetlana Kuznetsova (RUS) [10] vs Anne Kremer (LUX)
6. Fernando Gonzalez (CHI) [21] vs Karol Kucera (SVK)
7. Sebastien Grosjean (FRA) [12] vs UNKNOWN

Court 2 - 10:00 AM Start

1. Jamea Jackson (USA) vs Magui Serna (ESP) [18]
2. Nicolas Massu (CHI) [10] vs Andrei Pavel (ROM)
3. Jelena Kostanic (CRO) vs Kristina Brandi (PUR)
4. Jelena Jankovic (SCG) vs Magdalena Maleeva (BUL) [14]
5. Stefan Koubek (AUT) vs Jiri Novak (CZE) [14]
6. Paola Suarez (ARG) [9] vs Denisa Chladkova (CZE)

Court 3 - 10:00 AM Start

1. Nicole Vaidisova (CZE) vs Lubomira Kurhajcova (SVK)
2. Nicole Pratt (AUS) vs Arantxa Parra (ESP)
3. Shenay Perry (USA) vs Marlene Weingartner (GER)
4. Arnaud Clement (FRA) [24] vs Ivan Ljubicic (CRO)
5. Rita Grande (ITA) vs Anna Smashnova-Pistolesi (ISR) [13]

Court 4 - 10:00 AM Start

1. Ruxandra Dragomir Ilie (ROM) vs Zuzana Ondraskova (CZE)
2. Petra Mandula (HUN) [30] vs Jill Craybas (USA)
3. Barbara Schett (AUT) vs Tatiana Panova (RUS)

Court 6 - 10:00 AM Start

1. Els Callens (BEL) vs Maria Kirilenko (RUS)
2. Barbora Strycova (CZE) vs Elena Likhovtseva (RUS) [31]
3. Franco Squillari (ARG) vs Hyung-Taik Lee (KOR)
4. Thierry Ascione (FRA) vs Feliciano Lopez (ESP) [23]

Court 7 - 10:00 AM Start

1. Alina Jidkova (RUS) vs Saori Obata (JPN)
2. Akiko Morigami (JPN) vs Eleni Daniilidou (GRE) [25]
3. Gregory Carraz (FRA) vs Mariano Zabaleta (ARG)
4. Karolina Sprem (CRO) [29] vs Lindsay Lee-Waters (USA)

Court 8 - 10:00 AM Start

1. Kenneth Carlsen (DEN) vs Olivier Rochus (BEL)
2. Vera Douchevina (RUS) vs Emmanuelle Gagliardi (SUI)
3. Aniko Kapros (HUN) vs Tina Pisnik (SLO) [22]
4. Cyril Saulnier (FRA) vs Juan Ignacio Chela (ARG) [25]

goldenlox
Mar 26th, 2004, 01:46 AM
Tomorrow is like a major. 2 Veras, 2 Marias, Sveta, Lena L., Tatiana, Dinara, Alina. Quite a day.

VeraNuVirgosFan
Mar 26th, 2004, 02:08 AM
Thanks for the Schedule of Play.

The Safina vs Golovin match should be an interesting one.

goldenlox
Mar 26th, 2004, 02:11 AM
This is a great day of tennis. None of it on tv for me. Saturday I'll get all the Stadium matches.
Hopefully Lina will be on Stadium court. I don't have her on tape.

Vass22
Mar 26th, 2004, 10:44 AM
Tommorow will be empty then. Only Lena D will play.

moo_ont
Mar 26th, 2004, 10:49 AM
Tommorow will be empty then. Only Lena D will play.
Vass, I think Nadia and some other girls will play also.

Mathijs
Mar 26th, 2004, 12:16 PM
it's bad that ES isn't broadcasting Miami 1 & 2 rounds :mad: :fiery: :( :o I would love to see some Russina's on tv!! :hearts: :D :)

tenn_ace
Mar 26th, 2004, 01:22 PM
there is not much to report from yesterday...

When I arrived I went to the practice courts. Masha K. and Vera D.were finishing their warm-up practice. Not much else was happenning anywhere, so I have decided to watch Vika's match.

I have never seen her play before,so was really curious where she stands incomparison to Karatancheva and Golovin. I have to tell you that I was VERY impressed.This girl has a great forehand (usually with a good topspin) andvery respectable backhand (usually very flat).Her serve is the best among 3 young guns mentioned here. She does make df'shere and there, but only because she goes for her 2nd serve. The placement on that serve is beautiful and it has a lot of pace. She seems to prefer a forehand (ran around a few times), but really strong off both sides. Marissa was making ue, but only because she was forced to go for a little more in each point since Vika posseses a good lateralmovement and anticipates quite weel too. What Vika was struggling a bit is low slices from Marissa, especially in the first set (I don't know why Marissa didn't use more of those shots). Her other weakness is playing at the net. I don't know whether she won many points there, but definitely the percentage shouldn't be high. She missed some easy volleyes. I wouldn't be surprised if Marissa will try to get Vika to the net today when they resume playing.

Vika got a little injury in the second set (at 2-3)... She got wrong footed and feltsomething in her ankle wright away. I was sitting next to her agent and I heard him saying: oh, no... She still broke Irvin in that game, but took a medical time-out after that, so I decided to go see what's happenning on some other courts.

Vera Z. and Sveta just finish their practice. Dinara was practicing, but I didn'tget to see her actually hit the ball, since it's started raining. It poured so heavily that I realized quickly there are not enough towels in the greater Miami area to dry the courts up and the play will be suspended. So I left. I had to walk back to the parking lot in water up my ankles... :mad:

Today there well be so many matches to watch, so it'll be tough to make choices...I definitely would like to see Vera D., Dinara's and Sveta K. Just one more thing. When I was watching Vika's match I was sitting next to her agent, Raymonds's coach and Joe (Lena Bovina's coach). I couldn't help myself not to ask him whether he's still with Lena B. Sorry, if it's an old news but they are not together since December. :mad:

tenn_ace
Mar 26th, 2004, 01:28 PM
shocked about Nastya... she looked very happy and comfortable when hitting.

But look at the bright side: if she can destroy Hantuchova with 9 healthy toes, what would she do to her with 10?

moo_ont
Mar 26th, 2004, 01:30 PM
Thanks tenn_ace for the report. Hope you have fun today...with no rain, but as I checked, it will be raining in the afternoon. Take good care. :)

tenn_ace
Mar 26th, 2004, 01:31 PM
MaSharapovaFan, they are really not into communicating with fans... not many players are in general, but Russians are are lot more careful about smiling to fans, signing autographs, talking to fans....

tenn_ace
Mar 26th, 2004, 01:31 PM
thanks, moo ont, I will... :)

moo_ont
Mar 26th, 2004, 01:32 PM
MaSharapovaFan, they are really not into communicating with fans... not many players are in general, but Russians are are lot more careful about smiling to fans, signing autographs, talking to fans....But as I heard, Myskina, Elena D, and Elena B are nice to their fans.

TheBoiledEgg
Mar 26th, 2004, 02:15 PM
thanx tenn_ace :)
Vika is gonna be special :)
have fun again today and hope no rain :)

the cat
Mar 26th, 2004, 02:18 PM
EV, Bovina's career isn't near the end. Her career is about 1/3 over at the most.

And I think there is a better chance that Bovina would team up with Sharapova than with Kournikova. Elena and Maria would make the tallest women's doubles team in the world.

Mathijs
Mar 26th, 2004, 03:53 PM
Thanks for the report tenn_ace. really nice to read you reports :D. can't hardly wait for your next report. are you also gonna watch the matches of Lina and others?? :D :) :)

King Aaron
Mar 26th, 2004, 04:24 PM
Thanks again. :yeah:

TheBoiledEgg
Mar 26th, 2004, 04:46 PM
tomorrow is gonna be busy for Tenn_ace

Lina vs Vera D
Nadya vs Masha K

KV
Mar 26th, 2004, 04:50 PM
Had to leave livescores for all a while. OMG my nerves, but Masha provided another hitchcock

goldenlox
Mar 26th, 2004, 07:16 PM
Tatiana, Lena L., Maria K., and Vera D., have already won. Sveta, Vera Z., Dinara, and Maria S. still play today.

And happy birthday Lioudmila! 24 this week (March 23).

the cat
Mar 26th, 2004, 07:21 PM
Lioudmila who?

TheBoiledEgg
Mar 26th, 2004, 07:29 PM
cat........ Lioudmila Skavronskaia ;)
she's also on this board from time to time ;)

the cat
Mar 26th, 2004, 07:45 PM
Eggy, who may I ask is Louidmila on this board?

I hope tenn_ace got to see Maria Kirilenko's incredible comeback win today. :) What a wonderful win for Masha. And she deserves it. Saving 7 match points is absolutely mind boggling! :eek: Especially since Els Callens is such an experienced player. Tennis players can go their whole career and never save 7 points in a match. But Makiri did it early in her career at the tender age of 17.

goldenlox
Mar 26th, 2004, 07:47 PM
Lioudmila posts in the tournament forum. She's in my sig.

- L i n a -
Mar 26th, 2004, 07:51 PM
What's her name on the board?

the cat
Mar 26th, 2004, 08:08 PM
Evanescence. ;)

goldenlox
Mar 26th, 2004, 08:11 PM
She was ts323. Here's one of Lioudmila's posts from Tashkent -

Well, lots of people had left, not too many russians r around anymore. Evgenia left as well I think. Weather is not hot, but getting better in past 2 days. Half of the draw was sick in here, either stomach or cold, especially all the russians. Cant wait till I get to somewhere warmer!!!! Hi to Miami and everybody!

the cat
Mar 26th, 2004, 08:13 PM
Poor Eggy! :( It's Lina K. versus Vera D. in the second round of the 2004 Nasdaq-100 Open. Who will you root for, Eggy? I'm pulling for Vera because making the third round of a Tier 1 tournamnet would mean alot to her. And Lina has already made a Tier 1 final.

If Lina doesn't suffer from a bout of nerves I think she'll win this match. I'm sure she's tired of losing to younger girls and will be pumped up to play Vera.

TheBoiledEgg
Mar 26th, 2004, 08:15 PM
cat...... Lina needs this win alot more
needs a little booster or :sad:

and as Ai lost......
Vera and Nadya hold their seeding spots, they will both be in Top 10 as well :)

go Nadya and Vera, make the QF and Top 10 :D :)

goldenlox
Mar 26th, 2004, 08:26 PM
Dinara-Golovin is an all Russian match too. We almost had Nastya-Vika.

- L i n a -
Mar 26th, 2004, 09:29 PM
Evanescence. ;)
We should know that I'm a higher ranked Russian. :p

Lina really needs to win this match.

goldenlox
Mar 26th, 2004, 09:42 PM
It's supposed to rain off and on for days. Like the US Open. Dinara broke, and they suspended play.
Dinara at 30-15. This match is going again. 40-30.

goldenlox
Mar 26th, 2004, 09:59 PM
This rain delay did not help Dinara. She's lost 4 straight games.

the cat
Mar 26th, 2004, 11:05 PM
Golovin is just dismantling Safina! :eek: The question is at this point, how good is Golovin?

ys
Mar 26th, 2004, 11:14 PM
Golovin is just dismantling Safina! :eek: The question is at this point, how good is Golovin?
Difficult to say.. Better than Sharapova and Safina, that's for sure..

the cat
Mar 26th, 2004, 11:20 PM
Golovin is better than Safina. But when Golovin has to play Sharapova the bad memories of Maria thrashing her as a junior will play a factor. ;)

goldenlox
Mar 26th, 2004, 11:34 PM
Right now Sveta and Maria S. are playing. And Vera Z. is about to play. Guess who is on the Stadium Court?
Cheesecake.

- L i n a -
Mar 26th, 2004, 11:40 PM
I want Cheescake to win.

Serena/Masha = Ca$h Money.

goldenlox
Mar 26th, 2004, 11:54 PM
Cheesecake played the Stadium at Indian Wells also. There's no money in being put on Stadium Court. For Maria, that's Max's job. Get those speedminton endorsements.

- L i n a -
Mar 26th, 2004, 11:59 PM
Let's focus on the tennis.

Masha said that she's going to beat Serena.

Looks like the time will come.

What do you think will happen?

the cat
Mar 27th, 2004, 12:06 AM
Wrong EV, Masha said she believes she can beat Serena. She didn't say she would beat Serena. There is a difference. And you're talking about a Sharapova/S. Williams match days before it could occur which will only jinx the match from ever occuring.

- L i n a -
Mar 27th, 2004, 12:07 AM
I just want to watch that match. Badly.

goldenlox
Mar 27th, 2004, 12:39 AM
I just watched the Sportscentury profile of Anna. They were supposed to update it. They might have changed 3 words somewhere.
It was the same show.
Now I want to see tomorrow's schedule. I get all the Stadium matches.

VeraNuVirgosFan
Mar 27th, 2004, 01:26 AM
MaSharapovaFan, they are really not into communicating with fans... not many players are in general, but Russians are are lot more careful about smiling to fans, signing autographs, talking to fans....
Thanks a lot for sharing your opinion.

So far I have only met 2 Russian girls - Masha and Elena D., and both of them were nice to fans in Hong Kong.

VeraNuVirgosFan
Mar 27th, 2004, 01:51 AM
Golovin is better than Safina.
The fact the Golovin has won this match doesn't mean that she is better than Safina overall.

VeraNuVirgosFan
Mar 27th, 2004, 02:09 AM
[Golovin is] better than Sharapova..., that's for sure..
“that's for sure”?

I want to say you are wrong about it, but I can't.

I want to say I'm right, but again I can't.

Because I have to wait for them to play each other this year first before I can make any comment.

goldenlox
Mar 27th, 2004, 02:13 AM
But you just said it doesn't mean Golovin is better than Safina. So why should it matter if they meet?

VeraNuVirgosFan
Mar 27th, 2004, 02:15 AM
But when Golovin has to play Sharapova the bad memories of Maria thrashing her as a junior will play a factor.
It's most likely that they won't play a factor because Golovin seems mentally strong.

And I really want to see these 2 girls play each other as soon as possible.

VeraNuVirgosFan
Mar 27th, 2004, 02:24 AM
But you just said it doesn't mean Golovin is better than Safina. So why should it matter if they meet?
“So why should it matter if they meet?” - Because as far as Masha is concerned, I prefer to make comments that have her actual on court performances/results to back them up. I'm a Masha fan, so I try not to make my comments sound subjective.

goldenlox
Mar 27th, 2004, 02:25 AM
So if Golovin beats Maria, it matters, but not if Golovin beats Safina. Have I got that right?

VeraNuVirgosFan
Mar 27th, 2004, 02:31 AM
By the way, will Masha get to finish playing that match tonight?

(I saw on the wtatour.com that there is a rain delay).

goldenlox
Mar 27th, 2004, 02:32 AM
6-2, 1-1 right now.

VeraNuVirgosFan
Mar 27th, 2004, 02:40 AM
Right now Sveta and Maria S. are playing. And Vera Z. is about to play. Guess who is on the Stadium Court?
Cheesecake.
goldenlox, can you please tell me: in English language, when you call someone “cheesecake”, does it sound positive or negative?

VeraNuVirgosFan
Mar 27th, 2004, 02:46 AM
6-2, 1-1 right now.
Thank you very much!

goldenlox
Mar 27th, 2004, 02:46 AM
It's like pretty. And cheesecake tastes good.
Anna is cheesecake. Do you think I'm an Anna fan? It's not an insult.

goldenlox
Mar 27th, 2004, 02:48 AM
6-2, 3-3. Sveta and Vera aren't playing now.

goldenlox
Mar 27th, 2004, 02:51 AM
Order of Play for Saturday, March 27, 2004

1. Vincent Spadea (USA) vs Marat Safin (RUS) [31]
2. Jie Zheng (CHN) vs Venus Williams (USA) [2]
3. Karol Beck (SVK) vs Andy Roddick (USA) [2]
4. Roger Federer (SUI) [1] vs Nikolay Davydenko (RUS)
5. Daniela Hantuchova (SVK) [27] vs Tamarine Tanasugarn (THA)

1. Mariano Zabaleta (ARG) vs Andre Agassi (USA) [4]
2. Gustavo Kuerten (BRA) [18] vs Juan Monaco (ARG)

Grandstand - 10:00 AM Start

1. Alicia Molik (AUS) [24] vs Amy Frazier (USA)
2. Ricardo Mello (BRA) vs Paradorn Srichaphan (THA) [9]
3. Nicole Pratt (AUS) vs Jelena Dokic (YUG) [12]
4. Carlos Moya (ESP) [5] vs David Sanchez (ESP)
5. Elena Dementieva (RUS) [5] vs Ruxandra Dragomir Ilie (ROM)
6. Jan Hernych (CZE) vs Mark Philippoussis (AUS) [11]

Court 1 - 10:00 AM Start

1. Mara Santangelo (ITA) vs Silvia Farina Elia (ITA) [11]
2. Jonas Bjorkman (SWE) [26] vs Taylor Dent (USA)
3. Sebastien Grosjean (FRA) [12] vs Nicolas Lapentti (ECU)
4. Tatiana Panova (RUS) vs Lisa Raymond (USA) [20]
5. Sjeng Schalken (NED) [13] vs Guillermo Canas (ARG)
6. Meghann Shaughnessy (USA) [19] vs Kristina Brandi (PUR)

Court 2 - 10:00 AM Start

1. Martin Verkerk (NED) [15] vs Todd Reid (AUS)
2. Nadia Petrova (RUS) [8] vs Maria Kirilenko (RUS)
3. Rita Grande (ITA) vs Anna Smashnova-Pistolesi (ISR) [13]
4. Fernando Gonzalez (CHI) [21] vs Karol Kucera (SVK)
5. Fabiola Zuluaga (COL) [16] vs Shenay Perry (USA)
6. Xavier Malisse (BEL) vs Albert Costa (ESP) [22]

Court 2 - Start

1. Max Mirnyi (BLR) [28] vs Franco Squillari (ARG)

Court 3 - 10:00 AM Start

1. Mariana Diaz-Oliva (ARG) vs Emilie Loit (FRA) [32]
2. Lars Burgsmuller (GER) vs Agustin Calleri (ARG) [20]
3. Tathiana Garbin (ITA) vs Vera Zvonareva (RUS) [7]
4. Tatiana Perebiynis (UKR) vs Nathalie Dechy (FRA) [21]

Court 4 - 10:00 AM Start

1. Tommy Robredo (ESP) [19] vs Olivier Rochus (BEL)
2. Saori Obata (JPN) vs Maria Sanchez Lorenzo (ESP) [26]
3. Svetlana Kuznetsova (RUS) [10] vs Anne Kremer (LUX)
4. Lisa McShea (AUS)/Nana Miyagi (JPN) vs
Jing-Yi Li (CHN)/Tian Tian Sun (CHN)

Court 6 - 10:00 AM Start

1. Bohdan Ulihrach (CZE) vs Dominik Hrbaty (SVK) [27]
2. Lina Krasnoroutskaya (RUS) [28] vs Vera Douchevina (RUS)
3. Thierry Ascione (FRA) vs Feliciano Lopez (ESP) [23]
4. Julian Knowle (AUT)/Petr Pala (CZE) vs
Wayne Black (ZIM)/Kevin Ullyett (ZIM) [8]

Court 7 - 10:00 AM Start

1. Viktoriya Kutuzova (UKR) vs Gisela Dulko (ARG)
2. Francesca Schiavone (ITA) [15] vs Lubomira Kurhajcova (SVK)
3. Paola Suarez (ARG) [9] vs Denisa Chladkova (CZE)
4. Paul Hanley (AUS)/Fabrice Santoro (FRA) [4] vs
Jeff Coetzee (RSA)/Chris Haggard (RSA)

Court 8 - 10:00 AM Start

1. Fernando Verdasco (ESP) vs Radek Stepanek (CZE)
2. Stefan Koubek (AUT) vs Jiri Novak (CZE) [14]
3. Els Callens (BEL)/Meilen Tu (USA) vs
Shinobu Asagoe (JPN)/Janet Lee (TPE)

moo_ont
Mar 27th, 2004, 02:51 AM
Maria 3-4 in the second. Seems like both of them have a problem with holding serve. Maria is down a break. Hope Shinobu will be broken again.

moo_ont
Mar 27th, 2004, 02:53 AM
Oh! Shinobu finally held :(

goldenlox
Mar 27th, 2004, 02:54 AM
Tomorrow, Elena D., Sveta, Tatiana, Vera Z., Vika, Maria K. vs Nadia, Lina vs Vera D.

moo_ont
Mar 27th, 2004, 02:56 AM
Oh! 3-6 :(

Thanks GL for the schedule. So, you will get to see only Safin on TV?

goldenlox
Mar 27th, 2004, 02:57 AM
Yes, I'll see all the Stadium matches. Maria lost those last 3 games quick.

moo_ont
Mar 27th, 2004, 02:58 AM
Most of the stadium matches are Americans :o.

VeraNuVirgosFan
Mar 27th, 2004, 02:59 AM
Thanks a lot, moo ont.

moo_ont
Mar 27th, 2004, 03:01 AM
MSF, it's about 11:00 pm. in Miami...this really sucks.

~SunFlower~
Mar 27th, 2004, 03:03 AM
Thanks for great great reports tennis_ace! :hug: :kiss:

I am not happy with Maria's progress this year.. I don't think she will never never NEVER be in the top 5 or even top 10. Golovin will eat her up easily..

If Maria loses this match 6-2, 3-6, 0-0.... I will leave here and won't be back until grass season.. I am really upset with Maria, period...

Hope you all guys enjoy tennis.. bye everyone..

moo_ont
Mar 27th, 2004, 03:04 AM
Maria broke...1-0 Hope she holds this time.

She held up 2-0

TheBoiledEgg
Mar 27th, 2004, 03:07 AM
Masha 2-0 in 3rd :)

Dinara :confused: :o ??
it was her 1st match in 5 weeks or so after injury as well but what a score :speakles:

VeraNuVirgosFan
Mar 27th, 2004, 03:09 AM
It doesn't matter what time now - but Masha has to keep it going!!

moo_ont
Mar 27th, 2004, 03:09 AM
3-0 already :D

4-0 :banana:

goldenlox
Mar 27th, 2004, 03:15 AM
Maria had better win to keep Sharky around.

moo_ont
Mar 27th, 2004, 03:15 AM
5-0...:bounce: :banana:

VeraNuVirgosFan
Mar 27th, 2004, 03:17 AM
...I am not happy with Maria's progress this year..

...I am really upset with Maria, period...
It's a surprise for me to hear this from you, Sharky. But it's fine.

Because even goldenlox and Evanescence think that Masha has done OK by reaching the 4th round at Indian Wells.

moo_ont
Mar 27th, 2004, 03:18 AM
She won :D 6-2 3-6 6-0

goldenlox
Mar 27th, 2004, 03:23 AM
Maria is 16. One year ago she was playing 25k's. It's not realistic to expect Maria to be one of the best 5 or 6 players in the world right now.
But every time I read about Maria being at some promotion right before a tournament, I wonder how much of a of a distraction those are.
If Maria doesn't improve, it's the greedy adults around her. It's not Maria's fault.

~SunFlower~
Mar 27th, 2004, 03:28 AM
It's a surprise for me to hear this from you, Sharky. But it's fine.

Because even goldenlox and Evanescence think that Masha has done OK by reaching the 4th round at Indian Wells.

Dear, I love Masha to death more than anything... Everytime she wins, I am the happiest fan on earth. Masha should have won easily tonight, the score should be like this 6-2, 6-0. What happened to second set, Masha?

I am feeling a bit better today... :wavey: If Golovin can beat Anna P, why can't Masha, I expect Maria to win the next round and meets Serena in 4th round. If Masha plays and fights as hard as she could against Serena, then I am happy. If she loses 0-6, 0-6, you will see Madness Sharky ... :scared:

moo_ont
Mar 27th, 2004, 03:31 AM
If she loses 0-6, 0-6, you will see Madness Sharky ... :scared:
:lol: :lol: I think I won't... :wavey: .

VeraNuVirgosFan
Mar 27th, 2004, 03:35 AM
Masha should have won easily tonight, the score should be like this 6-2, 6-0.
It's very normal when players have to play a 3-set match.

Just like in Indian Wells, both very good players like Myskina and Sveta had to play 3 sets to win the match.

- L i n a -
Mar 27th, 2004, 03:38 AM

I am not happy with Maria's progress this year.. I don't think she will never never NEVER be in the top 5 or even top 10. Golovin will eat her up easily..

If Maria loses this match 6-2, 3-6, 0-0.... I will leave here and won't be back until grass season.. I am really upset with Maria, period...

Calm down...

You're expecting way too much from Masha.

She's been winning nearly every match she should be (the exclusion may be Hantuchova), and to expect her to beat Nastya... Masha's nowhere close to being in that league yet. She'd need Nastya to play horribly to have a shot.

I'm a bit surprised she lost a set to Asagoe on this surface, too... but all that matters is the win.

VeraNuVirgosFan
Mar 27th, 2004, 03:39 AM
If Golovin can beat Anna P, why can't Masha
Didn't you just wrote “Golovin will eat her up easily..”?

Oh Sharky!

- L i n a -
Mar 27th, 2004, 03:40 AM
I wouldn't get too mad... because if Serena is playing anything like she did pre-injury... Masha is getting smoked.

goldenlox
Mar 27th, 2004, 03:44 AM
Maria has not beaten a player ranked as high as Anna SP all year. But I think Maria matches up well with her.

VeraNuVirgosFan
Mar 27th, 2004, 03:48 AM
She's been winning nearly every match she should be (the exclusion may be Hantuchova)
I still think Dani is a good player, who has more weapons than Masha.

VeraNuVirgosFan
Mar 27th, 2004, 03:52 AM
It's like pretty. And cheesecake tastes good.
Anna is cheesecake. Do you think I'm an Anna fan? It's not an insult.
Thanks for the 'cheesecake' explanation.

I didn't even know its meaning before until I looked it up in the dictionary today.

Chunchun
Mar 27th, 2004, 04:16 AM
Lena D. plzzzz Go on!!!
:bounce: :bounce:
Anyone have more news about LenaD??

the cat
Mar 27th, 2004, 01:30 PM
I hope out long time Russina Roulette friend tenn_ace posts a report today on yesterdays matches that he saw. He probably had a long day. I'm hoping tenn_ace saw Little Masha's thrilling comeback win over Els Callens.

Sharky, I know it's hard being such a dedicated tennis fan. There are so many ups and downs with being a fan of Maria Sharapova because it's early in her career and her came is very up and down. But atleast she got revenge on Sinobu Asagoe who beat Masha in the Birmingham semifinals last year. :) Hang in there Sharky Sue! :kiss: It's days like yesterday with Maria Kirilenko's phenomenol comeback win against the very experienced Els Callens when she saved a 7 astounding match points that make being a tennis fan and a fan of the Masha's well worth it! :D And then Big Masha beat Asagoe last night inbetween the raindrops. Now Masha is in the third round. Sharky, Mashara hasn't lost in the first round of a WTA Tournament since last year's French Open. She's coming along nicely but it's going to take time.

tenn_ace
Mar 27th, 2004, 01:48 PM
due to a late partying in previous night we arrived late to Key Biscane...
I knew I'd be missing Masha K. match, but I was sure that I'd see Vera D.
I was really surprised when I saw that it has been also over. I guess, both her match and men's single match on her court were quick. oh well... there was still a lot of matcheswith Russians girls.

I went to see Tania P. match. Tania played truly like a top 20 player. She was really havingher day. Babsi was dicating most of the points, but Tania defended well and went onoffensive quickly if necessary. In fact, it looked like she hit more winners than Babsi (although I haven't seen stats, so don't know the exact count). Babsi got frustrated at times seeing every shot coming back. She tried to dropshot Tania (who played about 6-9 feet behind the baseline), but Tania was just too quick.

Next one is Dinara vs. Golovin. Dinara came out very strong smoking Golovin in the first game. I remember thinking that it shouldn't take a lot of time to finish. (I was glad cause I was getting very cold). Then the rain delay came and it was a completely different match after that. Golovin moved a little further behind the baseline and was defending great against Dinara going offensive quickly when she got a short ball. Dinara started pressing a little more: even more pace, going for lines and making ue. Golovin, on the other hand, was very patient constructing points really well. Dinara tried to dropshot Golovin on couple of occasions, but ended up losing those points
to a very quick opponent. Dinara was getting more and more frustrated: screaming at her coach and her mom (who left before the second set started), smashing racquets and balls... In the last point of set 1 she didn't even try to run for a short (half way in the court) ball.
Overall, she got completely outplayed by Golovin.The scoreline doesn't even show the extent to which Golovin was better in this match. She played smarter, more consistent and was better pretty much in all aspects of the game. Depressing. I need a hug.
Dinara, on the other hand, played dumb. All she tried to do basically is to hit hard, harder, the hardest. But Golovin always anticipated well and handled Dinara's flat shots beautifully. She had a bit of a trouble (like shorter ball) when Dinara hit with a topspin. Dinara never really picked up on that.
All in all, if you didn't know players by name, you would have thought that Dinara is a 15 y.o. with limited experience and ranked at the end of top 100 (not the other way around). Depressing. I need a drink.
I was glad when finally this match was over...

Sveta vs. Anne Kremer. No thanks to Dinara, I was depressed and needed Sveta to show some outstanding tennis. Sveta is getting so powerful. During their warm-up she hit with so mych pace that Anne couldn't handle it in the first two points they played. She also adjusted after that moving a little more back of the baseline. When the match started, you could say that Sveta was full of confidence. She was all business, but ended up losing her serve. Anne deserved it. She hit 2 winners (!) using Sveta's pace, but placing the ball better and then Sveta served a df at the end. Then another rain delay came.
I don't even know what was the outcome of the match. I got so exhausted and still frustrated at Dinara, that I just went home to bed without even hecking the scores. I was also sure that they didn't resume the play. It was raining/pouring on and off.

Vera D. tried to watch Dinara's match, but with 2 delays she left. I congratulated her on an awesome win and wished her good luck.

The only other thing is I saw a quick interview with Lena D. on local TV. Lena speaks awesome English. They asked her how often she changes her tennis shoes... Guess what was the answer....

This was my last day at NASDAQ. I'm not going today (although I'd love to)... but have decided to relax at the pool and get some sun. (if there is any)

It's an overcast here right now, poured just a few minutes ago. Although it doesn't take as much time to dry up the courts (very windy conditions).

TheBoiledEgg
Mar 27th, 2004, 01:54 PM
that was your last day...... oh damn
you gonna miss out on some great matches today

thanx tenn_ace

Dinara :rolleyes: :smash: :help: typical Oafette

tenn_ace
Mar 27th, 2004, 01:57 PM
forgot one more match that I watched: Lena L. vs. Barbora.

Lena was so much better in that match. She did play really well: not whole a lot of winners, but basically no ue either. Barbora was hitting harder than Lena, had more flashy shots, but overall couln't keep consistent play. She also got all frustrated, screaming, smashing a ball and a racquet all the time.

The only problem is that Elena seems to have a serious problem with a right knee. She limped on a few occasions and has it strapped (a little higher and a little lower than a knee), which makes it look even scarier.

I was sitting next to Nastia's coach, so certainly asked him about her. She has a tendon problem (I don't think it was reported that way) and has left the tournament yesterday morning. The problem started in Qatar and she aggrevated it further at IW. He is a nice guy. I joked with him about all the abuse he has to bear from Nastia when she plays and told him that hopefully, she pays enough. He said: she's ok... Funny. Just a really nice guy (and cute too ;))

I wished Lena good luck in this tournament after her win. Interesting, but she didn't look over excited... It was sort of routine win for her...

moo_ont
Mar 27th, 2004, 01:58 PM
Thanks tenn_ace....great report. :D I wish you were going today, but you seem so tired.

Pls tell me Elena D's answer. Thanks...

Okay..I guess...2 pairs a year. :p Good girl shouldn't waste lots of shoes. Kidding, but pls kindly tell me.

vaiva
Mar 27th, 2004, 03:11 PM
Eggcellent reports, tenn_ace

Thanks a bunch and enjoy your time :wavey:

TartarVicario
Mar 27th, 2004, 04:00 PM
Sveta :( I hope she can pull out of it today :)

King Aaron
Mar 27th, 2004, 04:26 PM
Thanks tenn_ace. :D Too bad it was your last day and :( that you missed Masha's match.

Mathijs
Mar 27th, 2004, 07:34 PM
Thanks for your good reports. :D

goldenlox
Mar 28th, 2004, 12:24 AM
Schedule of Play for Sunday, March 28, 2004

1. Serena Williams (USA) [1] vs Elena Likhovtseva (RUS) [31]
2. Andrei Pavel (ROM) vs Lleyton Hewitt (AUS) [17]
3. Jennifer Capriati (USA) [4] vs Eleni Daniilidou (GRE) [25]
4. Robby Ginepri (USA) vs Nicolas Kiefer (GER)

1. Daniela Hantuchova (SVK) [27] vs Venus Williams (USA) [2]
2. Roger Federer (SUI) [1] vs Rafael Nadal (ESP) [32]

Grandstand - 11:00 AM Start

1. Guillermo Coria (ARG) [3] vs Juan Ignacio Chela (ARG) [25]
2. Sebastien Grosjean (FRA) [12] vs Thierry Ascione (FRA)
3. Maria Sharapova (RUS) [17] vs Anna Smashnova-Pistolesi (ISR) [13]
4. Fernando Gonzalez (CHI) [21] vs Jiri Novak (CZE) [14]
5. Todd Martin (USA) vs Jurgen Melzer (AUT)
6. Silvia Farina Elia (ITA)/Francesca Schiavone (ITA) vs
Mervana Jugic-Salkic (BIH)/Jelena Kostanic (CRO)

Court 1 - 11:00 AM Start

1. Jill Craybas (USA) vs Vera Zvonareva (RUS) [7]
2. Svetlana Kuznetsova (RUS) [10] vs Aniko Kapros (HUN)
3. Shenay Perry (USA) vs Nathalie Dechy (FRA) [21]
4. UNKNOWN vs Jelena Dokic (YUG) [12]
5. Rick Leach (USA)/Brian MacPhie (USA) vs
Jonas Bjorkman (SWE)/Todd Woodbridge (AUS) [3]

Court 2 - 11:00 AM Start

1. Ivan Ljubicic (CRO) vs Julien Benneteau (FRA)
2. Alicia Molik (AUS) [24] vs Silvia Farina Elia (ITA) [11]
3. UNKNOWN vs Maria Sanchez Lorenzo (ESP) [26]
4. Tomas Cibulec (CZE)/Leos Friedl (CZE) vs
Mark Philippoussis (AUS)/Marat Safin (RUS)
5. Tatiana Golovin (FRA)/Nicole Vaidisova (CZE) vs
Elena Dementieva (RUS)/Lina Krasnoroutskaya (RUS) [8]

Court 3 - 11:00 AM Start

1. Martin Garcia (ARG)/Mariano Hood (ARG) vs
Simon Aspelin (SWE)/Massimo Bertolini (ITA)
2. Nadia Petrova (RUS) [8] vs Emilie Loit (FRA) [32]
3. Karolina Sprem (CRO) [29] vs Maria Vento-Kabchi (VEN)
4. Liezel Huber (RSA)/Ai Sugiyama (JPN) [3] vs
Maria Kirilenko (RUS)/Vera Zvonareva (RUS)

Court 4 - 11:00 AM Start

1. Vera Douchevina (RUS) vs Gisela Dulko (ARG)
2. Albert Costa (ESP)/Martin Verkerk (NED) vs
Jared Palmer (USA)/Pavel Vizner (CZE)
3. Myriam Casanova (SUI)/Emilie Loit (FRA) [7] vs
Emmanuelle Gagliardi (SUI)/Petra Mandula (HUN)

Court 6 - 11:00 AM Start

1. Alex Bogomolov Jr. (USA)/Taylor Dent (USA) vs
Martin Damm (CZE)/Cyril Suk (CZE) [6]
2. Tatiana Golovin (FRA) vs Jelena Jankovic (SCG)
3. Paola Suarez (ARG) [9] vs Magui Serna (ESP) [18]

Court 7 - 11:00 AM Start

1. Zi Yan (CHN)/Jie Zheng (CHN) vs
Tathiana Garbin (ITA)/Tina Krizan (SLO)
2. Leander Paes (IND)/David Rikl (CZE) [7] vs
Sebastian Prieto (ARG)/Andre Sa (BRA)
3. Sargis Sargsian (ARM)/Nenad Zimonjic (SER) vs
Juan Ignacio Chela (ARG)/Nicolas Massu (CHI)

Court 8 - 11:00 AM Start

1. Gaston Etlis (ARG)/Martin Rodriguez (ARG) vs
Yves Allegro (SUI)/Robbie Koenig (RSA)
2. Francesca Schiavone (ITA) [15] vs Lisa Raymond (USA) [20]
3. Gisela Dulko (ARG)/Rita Grande (ITA) vs
Caroline Dhenin (FRA)/Barbara Schett (AUT)

goldenlox
Mar 28th, 2004, 12:26 AM
Nadia, Sveta, Maria S., Lena L. Marat playing doubles with the scud. Vera Z. and Maria K. play.

goldenlox
Mar 28th, 2004, 12:37 AM
Vera Z. is first on, no waiting tomorrow. Same for Vera D.
If Lena D. wins tonight, she plays singles and doubles tomorrow.

bubble
Mar 28th, 2004, 01:27 AM
Thanks for another wonderful report...

Dinara :( ....

And what's Lena D's answer? very curious.... ;) :p

moo_ont
Mar 28th, 2004, 02:41 AM
If Lena D. wins tonight, she plays singles and doubles tomorrow.
Oh! That sounds so exhausting. Hope she isn't too tired today cuz she will play again in less than 24 hrs.

goldenlox
Mar 28th, 2004, 02:44 AM
That's right. And because she hasn't played in a while, she might have some soreness, or be tired.
It's a tough situation. But Lena's a veteran. She's done this before.
They play doubles against a 14 and a 16 year old.

moo_ont
Mar 28th, 2004, 02:48 AM
Actually, I am a bit worried about her singles cuz Maria won over Elena in RG. It's gonna be tough.

goldenlox
Mar 28th, 2004, 02:50 AM
This match is important because Lena should have Monday off.
Lena plays a lot, and her body is pretty strong. I want her to stay healthy.

moo_ont
Mar 28th, 2004, 02:55 AM
GL, I don't know much about the surface. Do you think Elena will do better on this one than in RG against Maria?

goldenlox
Mar 28th, 2004, 02:57 AM
I don't know. With Lena, it depends on how she's playing, more than what surface.
Lena playing well should win.

moo_ont
Mar 28th, 2004, 02:59 AM
Thanks...but today, she made lots of UEs. I expect her to play better tomorrow, but Maria will be much tougher.

goldenlox
Mar 28th, 2004, 03:02 AM
If Lena feels good tomorrow, she is definately the better player. It's a good draw. I'm not worried, because I'm just glad she's back on the court.
I want Lena B. to come back.

moo_ont
Mar 28th, 2004, 03:05 AM
I agree. It's a good draw. And, now Meghann is out as well. Really hope she will play well. But honestly, I don't expect much from her cuz she had not played about a month.

I do hope Elena B will come back soon cuz I like her pretty much.

goldenlox
Mar 28th, 2004, 03:07 AM
Singles and doubles tomorrow. The only thing better would be if it was on tv. I think Lena L. will be on ESPN.

moo_ont
Mar 28th, 2004, 03:09 AM
Sure cuz she plays Serena. Will you get to see the stadium matches?

goldenlox
Mar 28th, 2004, 03:11 AM
No, just that match. ESPN is showing 4 hours on weekdays. I expect Nadia, Vera Z., Sveta, and Lena in the quarterfinals.

moo_ont
Mar 28th, 2004, 03:13 AM
Yeah, it's will be on ESPN. I will get to see Lena L. too. Hope they all can make QFs. This may be the last open tournament in this year. They should take this golden opportunity.

goldenlox
Mar 28th, 2004, 03:16 AM
I want Lena to play like Amelia Island. Beat the best. She will have to play her way into top form.

moo_ont
Mar 28th, 2004, 03:20 AM
Yeah, she played unbelievable tennis there. This year it's gonna be much more difficult. With Serena, Justine, Lindsay, and probably Momo....Lindsay and Justine play much better. But hey, who knows. Elena always comes up with lots of surprise.

goldenlox
Mar 28th, 2004, 03:21 AM
I want to see Elena on tv, to see what her serve looks like.

moo_ont
Mar 28th, 2004, 03:23 AM
Yeah...me too. But today, she made 7DFs in the first, but in the second..just 1. Hope she will serve like she did in the second....anyway no ace.

goldenlox
Mar 28th, 2004, 03:26 AM
No aces? She has to change that.
It looks like the top players are getting healthy. But when you're in the top 8, you don't play them until the quarters.

moo_ont
Mar 28th, 2004, 03:28 AM
Yes, no ace. And, 8 DFs...7 in the first and 1 in the second. I looked at the stat. Her serve was much better in the second. Like 74% or something like that.

goldenlox
Mar 28th, 2004, 03:31 AM
Sounds like Elena was being safe. In doubles she can practice her big serves.

moo_ont
Mar 28th, 2004, 03:32 AM
But she will play doubles after her singles match...but if she wins, she can do that. ;)

moo_ont
Mar 28th, 2004, 03:36 AM
GL, actually, I think Ruxandra must play better than her ranking, 400 something. She won over top 100 players in this tournament.

goldenlox
Mar 28th, 2004, 03:37 AM
If? She better win. Lena needs to hold her position for the Olympics.

moo_ont
Mar 28th, 2004, 03:40 AM
Yeah, she better win, but I don't wanna hope too much. And, yes, the Olympics is her main goal. I know other Russian girls wanna play there, but Elena is so into it....

ys
Mar 28th, 2004, 03:41 AM
Yes, no ace. And, 8 DFs...7 in the first and 1 in the second. I looked at the stat. Her serve was much better in the second. Like 74% or something like that.
She committed 6 DFs in her first two service game, which both went to long deuces and she got broken in both of them. She had another doublefault in her next service game and again got broken. She committed only one DF after that and never got broken again. Maybe it is coming together. I just hope so..

goldenlox
Mar 28th, 2004, 03:44 AM
Elena's draw allows her to play her way into the tournament. She's not match tough yet. She can be safe on her first serves against Maria Sanchez Lorenzo.

moo_ont
Mar 28th, 2004, 03:44 AM
She committed 6 DFs in her first two service game, which both went to long deuces and she got broken in both of them. She had another doublefault in her next service game and again got broken. She committed only one DF after that and never got broken again. Maybe it is coming together. I just hope so..
Thanks, ys. I think so. Her serve was much better after that. She should have more confidence on her serve tomorrow.

moo_ont
Mar 28th, 2004, 03:46 AM
Agree GL. I hope so...

Chunchun
Mar 28th, 2004, 06:18 AM
It almost 1yr after 03'RG

LenaD Plssss take revenge on Maria and GO ON!!!!
Good Jobbbbbb this day!

Daniel
Mar 28th, 2004, 06:19 AM
Good luck!!!! :bounce: :worship: :yeah: :kiss:

Mathijs
Mar 28th, 2004, 07:37 AM
GO Elena!! :bounce: :bounce:

Epigone
Mar 28th, 2004, 08:35 AM
Go Vera Z!!! :bounce:

tenn_ace (or somebody else), could you please try to take a picture of Vera playing doubles with Maria K? :angel:

gg
Mar 28th, 2004, 10:10 AM

I hope it wasn't a case of just getting her second serve into play :(

TheBoiledEgg
Mar 28th, 2004, 12:02 PM
good luck Lena today :)
get revenge for that loss in Paris RG last yr

need a good run here baby :)

ys
Mar 28th, 2004, 05:03 PM
What a disastrous start of the day.. If Vera doesn't pull it off...

Vass22
Mar 28th, 2004, 05:16 PM
Vera just lost! I can't believe it! All the Russians struggle with consistency lately. Nastya started to play realy well and bam!

Vass22
Mar 28th, 2004, 05:19 PM
When I said Vera I meant both of the girls. It's so sad::rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Vera Z. vs. Crabas 2-6 6-3 3-6
Douchevina lost 6-7 (4) 4-6
Lena L. lost to Serena 1-6 6-4 3-6

Go Lena D! Show them what Russians can do! And Sveta, I know that the scent of Vera's loss still flies over that court, but you can win easily. :wavey:

goldenlox
Mar 28th, 2004, 05:21 PM
Disappointing tournament for Vera Z. and Dinara. And Nastya's injured.
Sveta, Lena D., and Nadia still play today.

KV
Mar 28th, 2004, 05:31 PM
Last year was worse. Indian Wells/Key Biscayne are certainly not the tournaments of the Russian players. The green clay season will start very soon, things can't get any worse. Vera Z/Dinara S have one advantage they can start sooner to practise on green clay than the ones still at Key Biscayne.

ys
Mar 28th, 2004, 05:38 PM
And now Sveta is up to flying start..

Yes, I've heard many Russians complaining about Miami conditions very difficult to adapt..

TheBoiledEgg
Mar 28th, 2004, 06:03 PM
what a day.......... going from bad to worse
tenn_ace leaves and they follow him home one by one :mad:

KV
Mar 28th, 2004, 06:53 PM
Happily Nadya back on the courts. For a change today, she won very comfortably. Back at her usual form.

- L i n a -
Mar 28th, 2004, 07:12 PM
Geez... what a bad loss for Vera.

Two very disappointing losses from her at IW and Miami... especially since they could have easily been the biggest tournaments of her life.

Mathijs
Mar 28th, 2004, 07:20 PM
:bigcry: nooo she lost what a dissapointment :sad: :sad:

ys
Mar 28th, 2004, 07:28 PM
It seems that new Top 10 Nadya might have just turned Russian luck around today..:)

TheBoiledEgg
Mar 28th, 2004, 07:34 PM
Sveta joins her in last 16 :D

Lena D and Masha on court :)

goldenlox
Mar 28th, 2004, 07:57 PM
3 Russians in the top 10. 5 in the top 14. 10 in the top 42.
But still a lot more work to do. For everyone.

the cat
Mar 28th, 2004, 08:23 PM
Not a good day for the Russina's so far today. Zvonareva's loss is perplexing. I thought she would take off after winning Memphis. And Masha is struggling with Anna Smashnova-Pistolesi.:(

goldenlox
Mar 28th, 2004, 08:25 PM
Golovin beat Anna SP twice. I thought maybe she has a problem facing 16 year olds.
Maria has to play steady to beat this kind of player. She can't power Anna off the court.

the cat
Mar 28th, 2004, 08:41 PM
True. Maria can't simply overpower Smashnova-Pistolesi. But atleast Maria came back against Smashnova-Pistolesi to win the first set. :)

gg
Mar 28th, 2004, 08:45 PM
At 2-2 in second set Masha has 22 winners to Anna's one

ys
Mar 28th, 2004, 09:02 PM
Our girls finished the day with a bang.. If only Vera Z. would have won, results would have had to be considered excellent.

Arhivarius
Mar 28th, 2004, 09:04 PM
Masha and Lena are through. For both the end of the match looked easier than the whole match. :)

goldenlox
Mar 28th, 2004, 09:05 PM
Not a bad day after all. Sveta, Nadia, Lena D., Maria are winners, and Lena L. took a set off Serena.
It could be very interesting next week.

goldenlox
Mar 28th, 2004, 09:18 PM
My question is - How far away are we from having this situation at a major, where going into the second week, there is a real chance a Russian can win the whole event?

Arhivarius
Mar 28th, 2004, 09:40 PM
My question is - How far away are we from having this situation at a major, where going into the second week, there is a real chance a Russian can win the whole event?
I think, it is unpredictable.
It can happen in less than 2 month at Rolland Garros, but there is posssibility that it will not happen in next 2 years.
Who could tell 2 years ago that 2 Belgians will be on the top and none of the Williams sisters will be in the top 5? :)

goldenlox
Mar 28th, 2004, 10:24 PM
I hope it's this year. Both Veras have to play better. And Dinara should be a part of it. The more, the merrier.

goldenlox
Mar 28th, 2004, 10:55 PM

You don't think Maria will do well on clay?

goldenlox
Mar 29th, 2004, 12:35 AM
http://www.nasdaq-100open.com/images/rghtgry_shim.gif Schedule of Play for Monday, March 29, 2004

1. Paola Suarez (ARG) [9] vs Jill Craybas (USA)
2. Serena Williams (USA) [1] vs Maria Sharapova (RUS) [17]
3. Max Mirnyi (BLR) [28] vs Andre Agassi (USA) [4]
4. Carlos Moya (ESP) [5] vs Dominik Hrbaty (SVK) [27]

1. Jonas Bjorkman (SWE) [26] vs Andy Roddick (USA) [2]
2. Francesca Schiavone (ITA) [15] vs UNKNOWN

Grandstand - 11:00 AM Start

1. Todd Reid (AUS) vs Agustin Calleri (ARG) [20]
2. Radek Stepanek (CZE) vs Vincent Spadea (USA)
3. Eleni Daniilidou (GRE) [25] vs Tatiana Golovin (FRA)
4. Juan Monaco (ARG) vs Paradorn Srichaphan (THA) [9]
5. Guillermo Canas (ARG) vs Xavier Malisse (BEL)

Court 1 - 11:00 AM Start

1. Tommy Robredo (ESP) [19] vs Jan Hernych (CZE)
2. Jennifer Embry (USA)/Mara Santangelo (ITA) vs
Martina Navratilova (USA)/Lisa Raymond (USA) [4]
3. Bob Bryan (USA)/Mike Bryan (USA) [1] vs
Amer Delic (USA)/Todd Martin (USA)
4. Nathalie Dechy (FRA) [21] vs Gisela Dulko (ARG)
5. Cara Black (ZIM)/Rennae Stubbs (AUS) [5] vs
Alicia Molik (AUS)/Magui Serna (ESP)

1. Nadia Petrova (RUS) [8] vs Alicia Molik (AUS) [24]
2. Svetlana Kuznetsova (RUS) [10] vs Karolina Sprem (CRO) [29]
3. Elena Dementieva (RUS) [5] vs Jelena Dokic (SCG) [12]
4. Maret Ani (EST)/Libuse Prusova (CZE) vs
Nadia Petrova (RUS)/Meghann Shaughnessy (USA) [6]
5. Nicolas Kiefer (GER)/Rainer Schuettler (GER) vs
Mahesh Bhupathi (IND)/Max Mirnyi (BLR) [2]
6. Ruxandra Dragomir Ilie (ROM)/Samantha Reeves (USA) vs
Jelena Dokic (SCG)/Dinara Safina (RUS)

Court 3 - 11:00 AM Start

1. Paul Hanley (AUS)/Fabrice Santoro (FRA) [4] vs
Sargis Sargsian (ARM)/Nenad Zimonjic (SER)
2. Kristina Brandi (PUR)/Alexandra Stevenson (USA) vs
Laura Granville (USA)/Asa Svensson (SWE)
3. Mariusz Fyrstenberg (POL)/Marcin Matkowski (POL) vs
Rafael Nadal (ESP)/Tommy Robredo (ESP)

Court 6 - 11:00 AM Start

1. Martin Garcia (ARG)/Mariano Hood (ARG) vs
Wayne Black (ZIM)/Kevin Ullyett (ZIM) [8]
2. Mark Knowles (BAH)/Daniel Nestor (CAN) [5] vs
Fernando Gonzalez (CHI)/Feliciano Lopez (ESP)
3. Virginia Ruano Pascual (ESP)/Paola Suarez (ARG) [1] vs
Magdalena Maleeva (BUL)/Katarina Srebotnik (SLO)

Court 8 - 11:00 AM Start

1. Leander Paes (IND)/David Rikl (CZE) [7] vs
Jared Palmer (USA)/Pavel Vizner (CZE)
2. Arnaud Clement (FRA)/Sebastien Grosjean (FRA) vs
Lucas Arnold (ARG)/Agustin Calleri (ARG)
3. Jiri Novak (CZE)/Radek Stepanek (CZE) vs
Jonathan Erlich (ISR)/Andy Ram (ISR)

T.B.A.

1. Eleni Daniilidou (GRE)/Maria Vento-Kabchi (VEN) vs
Daniela Hantuchova (SVK)/Corina Morariu (USA)
2. Maria Sharapova (RUS)/Tamarine Tanasugarn (THA) vs
Svetlana Kuznetsova (RUS)/Elena Likhovtseva (RUS) [2]

moo_ont
Mar 29th, 2004, 12:38 AM
Thanks GL. I think ESPN may show Serena v. Maria. Pity me. I have class until 4:00 pm. EST. :(

goldenlox
Mar 29th, 2004, 12:39 AM
They'll show Maria and then Agassi. And another match at night.

1. Nadia Petrova (RUS) [8] vs Alicia Molik (AUS) [24]
2. Svetlana Kuznetsova (RUS) [10] vs Karolina Sprem (CRO) [29]
3. Elena Dementieva (RUS) [5] vs Jelena Dokic (SCG) [12]

moo_ont
Mar 29th, 2004, 12:41 AM
I hope it's Elena but don't think so. She will play court 2.

Oh! I guess Roddick.

goldenlox
Mar 29th, 2004, 12:47 AM
Elena will have to win to get on tv. Three straight days is a lot of tennis, first tournament back.

moo_ont
Mar 29th, 2004, 12:48 AM
Yes...:mad: I just hope she will play better as she plays competitively everyday.

goldenlox
Mar 29th, 2004, 01:19 AM
Nadia, Sveta, Lena D., Lena L., Maria S., Dinara, and Lina all play doubles tomorrow.

Daniel
Mar 29th, 2004, 06:34 AM
:D Vamos chicas :D

KV
Mar 29th, 2004, 05:43 PM
N. Petrova into quarters with a more than very good win. She's only dropped 11 games so far. With this kind of form se could go all the way.

goldenlox
Mar 30th, 2004, 12:27 AM
Tomorrow -
2. Neha Uberoi (USA) vs Ekaterina Afinogenova (RUS)
3. Rubin Statham (NZL) vs Gary Sacks (USA)
4. Mary Gambale (USA) vs Alisa Kleybanova (RUS)

And Sveta/Lena vs Maria/Tammy is Tuesday also.

goldenlox
Mar 30th, 2004, 12:31 AM
2. Maret Ani (EST)/Libuse Prusova (CZE) vs
Nadia Petrova (RUS)/Meghann Shaughnessy (USA) [6]
3. Ruxandra Dragomir Ilie (ROM)/Samantha Reeves (USA) vs
Jelena Dokic (SCG)/Dinara Safina (RUS)

Mathijs
Mar 30th, 2004, 12:35 PM
Go Russina's make it a good result, it would make my day :D

tenn_ace
Mar 31st, 2004, 04:41 PM
good luck to Lena again! hope, she'll play smart. :bounce:

goldenlox
Mar 31st, 2004, 08:46 PM
I'm thinking about Elena-Nadia, and that match will be so great. Nadia has to win tonight.

tenn_ace
Mar 31st, 2004, 08:49 PM
from what I've heard she did play smart (to venus's forehand)

anyway, it was ugly, but a win is a win... Good luck in the semis, Lena.

KV
Apr 1st, 2004, 12:26 PM
Yep, an all Russian semi-final. Remember what happened last year in Miami. It's all been turned around.

KV
Apr 1st, 2004, 08:18 PM
Serena Williams reached the final, if she plays like she played against E. Daniilidou. Nadya/Alyona might upset her.