PDA

View Full Version : Canada @ Olympics

blerr
Mar 18th, 2004, 03:47 AM
Canada will have Olympic representatives obviously. But who do you think should represent us?

Right now, I say we should have Marie-Eve Pelletier as our first singles person. She has had such a solid year so far with some nice wins and close battles with top notch players. I really think she would be a good rep. because she seems to have pulled things together.

The second choice for singles I would say is Maureen Drake. Although she has struggled so far this year, she can beat top 50 players on a good day. She's just on a bad streak....A really long, bad streak, but she'll pull it together soon I think.

In doubles I would say Sonya Jeyaseelan for sure but I'm not sure who else. Melanie Marois seems like a good doubles player, but I still think I would pick Marie again.

What do you guys think?

canuckfan
Mar 18th, 2004, 04:48 AM
I'm not really sure we'll send tennis players to the olympics. The Canadian Olympic comittee usually fixes very high qualifying standards(to save money and to look good). In the other sports, I think you have to be top 16 to go. We will probably send 1 men double team and that's all.

But If we do send some women, I'd say send the young blood and give them some experience.

Randy H
Mar 18th, 2004, 03:25 PM
Back in 2000, I seem to recall Jana Nejedly being eligible to play at the Sydney Olympics in singles (along with Sonya who did compete), but for some reason Tennis Canada didn't allow her to go?

I would really hope Tennis Canada would back Canadian players and try and send as many as they could. Even if they don't win, it's a once in a lifetime chance for many and certainly an excellent experience to compete at such an important level.

If they do pick a full team then I hope singles goes to Pelletier and Drake (Drake especially for the simple fact that she's never competed at the Olympics - would be a great moment for her!), and for doubles I think Sonya along with either Pelletier or Marois (Marois has the better ranking, but Pelletier has the experience of having played Fed Cup ties for us and may handle the big match pressure a bit better at this point).

blerr
Mar 18th, 2004, 07:20 PM
Well I hope Canada sends some people for tennis.....or we are allowed too

¤CharlDa¤
Mar 18th, 2004, 10:53 PM
I think Maureen is still on the circuit only for that...She really wants to play it, and I think she will...Though i LOVE Marie-Eve, i think it is a shame mo never went and she should go...In doubles, I think Sonya definitely has a place, and would be good with either Marie-Eve or Melanie.

I really want Marie-Eve to go to the Olympics, but i think this won't be the good ones. Though some rpetty good players are coming fast on the circuit, i can't see so far naybody except steph or melanie who could take her aplce after mo retires ( if she does someday lol)

I_AM_Canadian
Mar 27th, 2004, 05:39 AM
if they want to go to Athens shouldnt they be partnering up as of like now?
strangely not a single Canadian has expressed any desire to play Olympics, but i'm sure we'll have a better idea when Fed comes around:)

polishprodigy
Apr 14th, 2004, 04:31 AM
I hope canada sends some players.

if they don't its stupid. it will remind me of the time when canada refused to send emmanuelle sandhu to the olympics, instead handing over the entry to some player from luxembourg who didnt even end up in the top 15 of competition :rolleyes:

Canada should show it has confidence in its athletes!
I personally wouldn't send Mo, but she is a "veteran" and deserves the spot i guess. Marie-Eve chokes a lot, and Stephanie is on a downfall ,so its a tough choice for singles. I think that sonya is a shoo-in for doubles.

Given that Canada won the gold medal in the 2000 olympics, we will send a doubles team, but I doubt it will be nestor/lareau, as they did not play at all together this year and lareau has retired. So who could it be???? Nestor/Dancevic?

¤CharlDa¤
Apr 14th, 2004, 10:05 PM
I actually think it wil be Nestor/Niemeyer cause they played great in all the Davis Cup matches!

canuckfan
Apr 15th, 2004, 05:06 AM
I actually think it wil be Nestor/Niemeyer cause they played great in all the Davis Cup matches!

I agree, and I think they have a decent chance at a medal if they are lucky with their draw.

¤CharlDa¤
Apr 15th, 2004, 06:02 PM
Mélanie and MArie-Eve played some amtches this week together! I hope that elads to good fed Cup results and maybe a team in the Olympics!

Wiggly
May 30th, 2004, 03:50 PM
Marie-Ève or Maureen in singles!

In doubles, I think maybe Melanie and Marie-Ève or Sonya and Marie-Ève!

Maybe Maureeen have a chance to play in single but... the Canadians don't have good chance to win a medal in single for sure in in double, maybe in men double!

¤CharlDa¤
May 31st, 2004, 01:41 AM
It is official..No women in singles....ONly one doubles men team!