PDA

View Full Version : Reasons why Venus doesn't deserve to be no. 1

GoDominiqu
Feb 20th, 2002, 01:33 PM
Well, I don't have any. I have accepted the ranking system, I think it's very reaonable, so I accept every no. 1 as a deserved one. It was same for Martina, Jen and Lindsay.

However, not everyone does think so.
Remember the hundreds of threads last year why Martina, Jen and Lindsay doesn't deserve to be no. 1.
The most common reasons were:

Martina - hasn't won't a tournament for months and a Slam for ages
Jen - plays badly right now, doesn't beat the top-players
Lindsay - has done badly at slams

So I think it would only be fair to come up with some opinions why Venus doesn't deserve it !?

LucasArg
Feb 20th, 2002, 01:36 PM
I used to say for Jenn and Martina that they were ranked n#1 and they were not the best players at the moment.:rolleyes:

And Venus is ranked #3 #2 or #1 and she is always the best player on courts. NO need the crown to know who's the best;)

Williams Rulez
Feb 20th, 2002, 01:36 PM
Venus hasn't played enough tournaments, so she shouldn't be number 1 ;)

brickhousesupporter
Feb 20th, 2002, 01:39 PM
Venus is not a committed to the sport as say Jen or Martina therefore she does not deserve to be number 1:) :D :p

Beige
Feb 20th, 2002, 01:41 PM
http://salacious.de/Smiliez/Gefuehle/Gluecklich/glueck11zteeth.gif

She doesn't use enough obscenities.

She doesn't date any ATP players.

She doesn't play in enough continents.

She doesn't get into enough slumps.

She doesn't mature enough from year to year.

http://salacious.de/Smiliez/Gefuehle/Gluecklich/glueck115.gif

LucasArg
Feb 20th, 2002, 01:42 PM
This thread is a little funny:p :p ;)

the_ancyent_marinere
Feb 20th, 2002, 01:44 PM
I see what you mean GoDominique.

As a Capriati fan I should perhaps be somewhat vindictive and say something bad about Venus, since so many have said awful things (and still do) about Jennifer, and for no good reason.

However, just as Jenn, Hingis, Davey and many others before them have rightfully earned the No. 1 ranking, Venus Williams will have earned it rightfully too.

So, all the nonsensical ideas about players not deserving the top spot I now hope will cease!

Williams Rulez
Feb 20th, 2002, 01:47 PM
Did I mention...

Venus doesn't deserve to be number 1 cause she is addicted to .....

DIAMONDS!! :eek: :rolleyes: ;)

the_ancyent_marinere
Feb 20th, 2002, 01:57 PM
She is? A few years ago it used to be pearls that fall out of her hair and made her trip?!:bounce:

Beige
Feb 20th, 2002, 02:35 PM
They were beads actually. Don't take a swipe if you don't have the correct info. Smirk.

itsallaboutinis
Feb 20th, 2002, 02:42 PM
I understand what this thread originator was trying to do...so I thought about it and thought about it and I really can't come up with one logical reason she shouldn't be #1

Unlike Capriati there is no top 10 player she can't or hasn't beaten.

Unlike Martina she is not slamless or failing to win tournaments or even struggling against top 10 players...as Martina was last year.

Lindsay is the same as Venus...there should have been no rational reasons why her claim to #1 was challenged. It hasn't been eons since she won a slam, she can beat everybody including her major nemisis...Serena!

So poke fun all you like...but Venus is the undisputed best player...which is what being #1 should be about!

Beige
Feb 20th, 2002, 02:56 PM
Your post? Like music to my ears. :D

http://www.millan.net/anims/giffar/gomed.gif

nasty nick#2
Feb 20th, 2002, 03:22 PM
One reason i can come up with is that Venus and her sister play tennis like men, their succes is based on that they hit the ball so hard that some of the other women on the tour who play class tennis don't have a chance to catch the ball. Looking at the Williams sisters, i can't say the play class tennis, cause all they do is to try to make the match as short as possible, now who can take a serve over 200km/h . I prefer watching someone like Hingis, Capriati or Henin to mention a few, they try to play the game and their succes is not based on a hard serve.

Mauresmo and Davenport are the same kind of players like the W sisters. they play like men with hard serves and Mauresmo looks like a man too :rolleyes:

Don't let these kind of players become #1 one the tour, it would ruin the tour IMO.

Cybelle Darkholme
Feb 20th, 2002, 03:31 PM
You are an idiot nasty nick. All the ladies on tour are 100% woman. I can't stand guys like you who think they can define what a woman is. Women can be dainty and sweet and rough and tumble. We can be as strong as we want to be. We can lift weights, and compete in sports without having to give up womanhood.

You are are sexist. You're probably the type of guy who wants his woman tied to the kitchen table with a skillet in one hand a baby suckling on a breast. Well if a woman chooses that hooray for her but not everyone is the same. We can be atheletic and sexy and brainy and whatever else we want to be without validation from men. what the heck is class tennis? Do you think if these so called "class" players could strike the ball as hard as lindsay they wouldn't? Of course they would! Everyone on the tour has power and class(finesse) so go stuff yourself and stop trying to divide the women. We have unity and don't need some scrub like you in the mix. Why don't you grow up and stop being so intimidated by women? what, afraid we'll take your're job next?

Men like you should go back to the cave you crawled out of.

Cybelle Darkholme
Feb 20th, 2002, 03:32 PM
PS: Lindsay herself and Martina(at one point) both said they did not feel like the number one player. so what do you say when the person who is actually number one says they dont' feel like they're number one? answer, you shut up and listen because obviously they know what there talking about.

note: jen did not say this because she knew she desevered her number one ranking.

Raisin
Feb 20th, 2002, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by nasty nick#2
One reason i can come up with is that Venus and her sister play tennis like men, their succes is based on that they hit the ball so hard that some of the other women on the tour who play class tennis don't have a chance to catch the ball. Looking at the Williams sisters, i can't say the play class tennis, cause all they do is to try to make the match as short as possible, now who can take a serve over 200km/h . I prefer watching someone like Hingis, Capriati or Henin to mention a few, they try to play the game and their succes is not based on a hard serve.

Mauresmo and Davenport are the same kind of players like the W sisters. they play like men with hard serves and Mauresmo looks like a man too :rolleyes:

Don't let these kind of players become #1 one the tour, it would ruin the tour IMO.

Shut up and get a life nasty nick or whatever you call yourself:rolleyes:

the_ancyent_marinere
Feb 20th, 2002, 03:39 PM
Another Classy new poster.

BTW are you a Capriati fan, i find your comment slightly hypocrital.

I´m a Capriati fan, so I´m both "classy" and have double standards. That´s just how we are:rolleyes:

Wally
Feb 20th, 2002, 03:40 PM
nasty nick#2: i don't think its ruining the tour... i actually think its called - evolution!

womens tennis has entered a new phase! there always has been new phases in each generation of tennis! like switching from wooden to graphite racquets or whatever!

and its not really called playing like men! it's being fit and strong! there's nothing wrong with that!

and how would you define class tennis huh? loopy moonballing? :p if you want long matches go watch loopy players! while there's nothing wrong with them it seems that is what you define real tennis as!

there is no real/classy tennis! it's just tennis! there's just many ways to approach it! whether you want to be a belter, a retriever, a net player, a lobber, whatever! it's still tennis!

and havent you realised that womens tennis is more popular than ever before? :p

so IMO your opinion pretty much sucks! :p :)

TSequoia01
Feb 20th, 2002, 03:49 PM
Dang Nasty, they do call you Nasty, if lady's tennis is too fast for you, try badminton. :cool:

nasty nick#2
Feb 20th, 2002, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by cybelledarkholmexx
You are an idiot nasty nick.

That's a personal attack, shall i sue you :D

All the ladies on tour are 100% woman. I can't stand guys like you who think they can define what a woman is. Women can be dainty and sweet and rough and tumble. We can be as strong as we want to be. We can lift weights, and compete in sports without having to give up womanhood.

My point is NOT that they aren't women, my point is that they are better then most other female tennis player cause they are taller with more muscles and can surve harder, That's the diffrent but i believe some ppl are too sensitive on this board.

You are are sexist. You're probably the type of guy who wants his woman tied to the kitchen table with a skillet in one hand a baby suckling on a breast. Well if a woman chooses that hooray for her but not everyone is the same. We can be atheletic and sexy and brainy and whatever else we want to be without validation from men.

draw your own conclusions if you want. Im not a sexist but you are for sure a feminist, and i for sure can't take feminists.

what the heck is class tennis? Do you think if these so called "class" players could strike the ball as hard as lindsay they wouldn't? Of course they would! Everyone on the tour has power and class(finesse) so go stuff yourself and stop trying to divide the women.

Temper temper ;) yeah yeah girl power yada yada yada spiceupyourlife.com and get a life :drool:

We have unity and don't need some scrub like you in the mix. Why don't you grow up and stop being so intimidated by women? what, afraid we'll take your're job next?

We so you talk for every women on this Planet?you probaly work for some women organisation where you never have to cominicate with men. Maybe you were the one who got your job stolen from a man :kiss: that explains why you are so hateful at us.

Men like you should go back to the cave you crawled out of.

No, you should crawl outta your cave and face the reality.

Cybelle Darkholme
Feb 20th, 2002, 04:11 PM
wow you are so pathetic its scary.

first of all you can't sue for personal attacks only defamation of character. although i should not have gone so low to call you an idiot, how about ignorant and hateful?

secondly, the only reason you can't stand feminists is because you are a sexist. do you even know what feminism is? its about equality for women, thats all and thats it. equal opportunity and treatment. go do some reading.

thirdly, why didnt you add jen to your list? she strikes the ball just as hard, she "serves" just as hard, she has the musculature that the other gals have, so where is she on your list?

fourth, god knows i love men, just not the sexist ignorant stupid ones who feel so inferior about themselves they must lash out at the opposite sex. its ok, maybe you can get some therapy or a hug. did your mommy not hug you enough or maybe she smothered you with too much and you feel efemininate and thats why you lash out? Im just speculating.

fifth, youre right I cant speak for all women.

sixth, power players like jen are not better because they have more muscles and strength. did you even watch the ao? martina lost that match because of lack of confidence and mental toughness not because she was "weaker". after reading your post i realize you know nothing about tennis and are just a whiny agitator who hates people like jen.

seventh, hypocrites like you are just so so laughable.

Infiniti2001
Feb 20th, 2002, 04:12 PM
Venus doesn't deserve to be #1 because of her unconventional approach to her sport (evil grin)

P.S. nasty nick #2 , if the tour were made up of all players like hingis, henin and capriati it would be pretty BORING in my not so humble opinion...

DIVERSITY RULES!!!!!!
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

IAM#1
Feb 20th, 2002, 04:18 PM
Okay Nasty Nick you have overstepeed your boundaries.. First of all Women are as equal as men as far as I see it.. I am A REAL MAN and if the power hitter are manly or play more like men then Why doesn't the ATP get more recognition if manly like tennis is what they are playing.. They cannot help what they have contributed to the sport. EVERYONE CANNOT DO THE SAME THINGS ALIKE>. The reason why i take offense to this is... Just because A WOMAN IS INDEPENDENT and DOES HER OWN THING DOES NOT MAKE HER A MAN.. U PROBABLY HAVE NO WOMAN. U cannot critcize how someone was taught to play tennis.. If no one wants power it is funny how everyone is trying to pattern their game around it.. COUGH*

RAA
Feb 20th, 2002, 04:30 PM
this thread was funny until we got sidetracked!
lets ignore the sidetrack, shall we?

I guess you could say that Venus doesn't deserve to be #1 because she hasn't done well at the French. But that's really the only thing I can think of (she's done okay at other clay tournies, i think). (I am a big Venus fan, I'm only throwing this out for the sake of argument...) Other than that, her claim is pretty solid. I think that Jen had a solid claim to #1 as well and that the ranking will go back and forth between them for a while now.
Ruth in philly pa usa

sartrista7
Feb 20th, 2002, 04:37 PM
Good on ya cybelle - put the bastard in his place :)

Bright Red
Feb 20th, 2002, 04:50 PM
This thread has been late arriving!

(Methinks someone is not really a Capriati Fan at all, but rather someone else trying to start a fight between Williams and Capriati Fans ;))

c2
Feb 20th, 2002, 05:12 PM
cybelledarkholmexx YOU ROCK!

IAM#1 you are my kinda man! (even tho I'm not into men... but if I were you'd be the one! :)

Nasty is going to hide and backpedal now.. but you both nailed him. Sexist, woman-hater, trying to get some hate going on the board toward whoever he can. PATHETIC.

I luv you posters who defend the power game .. I love Conchita too but I'd be BORED TO DEATH watching those moonballs in every match.. variety is the spice of life!

Bugger off Nasty nick:mad: :fiery: :mad: :fiery:

disposablehero
Feb 20th, 2002, 05:35 PM
Doesn't have the best current Slam results.

nasty nick#2
Feb 20th, 2002, 05:55 PM
secondly, the only reason you can't stand feminists is because you are a sexist. do you even know what feminism is? its about equality for women, thats all and thats it. equal opportunity and treatment. go do some reading.

I have nothing against women fighting for beeing treated equal as men, i support them actually. But you belong to the kind of women who are jealous at men and want the society the be more then equal for women and men, let me call it reverse sexism, you would like to see women on all major positions don't you? What about Hillary for president.

I'm not a sexist which you might think, just cause im a man and i think Venus play like a man you wanna make me look like a sexist who want my wife to make the dinner clean the house and watch the children, you're so wrong young miss. If i was female and said the same thing about Venus would you have made the same conclusions about me?

We are not all made equal, not even brothers are. So ofcourse Venus can't play equal with Hingis. We just have to admit that a player who got a hard serve can make miracles in the WTA tennis, no matter if Venus is the best female tennis player or not she will have a major advantage thanks to her hard serve. Maybe the WTA tennis is into a new phase and in a couple of years all players will have more muscles and spending more time to improve their serve. It will defenitely be more complete players in some years, most will be true proffessionals on the tour and have the tennis as a living. Why was Pelé so dominant in the soccer world? cause he had a new style and others were not ready for that, he was totally diffrent from the other players back then. But if he would have been a player today he wouldn't have been that dominant since players are much better today. Both psychical and techically. Almost the same thing as Venus as Pelé someone who was before his time.

Lastly, don't question my passion for Tennis. I like Tennis and Jennifer Capriati.

Ps. i hope you realised my sarcasm in my last post.

Dawn Marie
Feb 20th, 2002, 05:57 PM
Won two slams in the past calender tennis year. Wimby and Us Open. It hasn't been a year yet. Also saved 8 match points.. not to mention has already won 3 titles and made it too the Quarterfinals at OZ:)IN 2002

And becasue she has thrashed the hell out of the players ranked 2-9 in the past tow years.. give or take a few.:)

Dawn Marie
Feb 20th, 2002, 05:58 PM
Come on people ingnore this sick bitch and stick to this nice sweet topic about Venus. NN is only trying to disway this topic from being fun.. for Venus fans.

c2
Feb 20th, 2002, 05:58 PM
:rolleyes: geez nasty -- I can't even understand what the hell you are saying. Are you illiterate too??

Infiniti2001
Feb 20th, 2002, 06:02 PM
nasty nick#2, do I sense some back pedaling?? hmmm :rolleyes:

treufreund
Feb 20th, 2002, 06:02 PM
TO DH: "we're not worthy, we're not worthy!" Your post was succinct, correct, and cogent!!!:D

CanIGetAWhat
Feb 20th, 2002, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by nasty nick#2
..their succes is based on that they hit the ball so hard that some of the other women on the tour who play class tennis don't have a chance to catch the ball.

i think you're being hyprocritical. doesn't jennifer do the same thing as venus and serena, hit the ball as hard as you can? in the early 90s, weren't commentators marvelling at the strength of a 13 year old girl?

Amanda
Feb 20th, 2002, 06:07 PM
Opinions are just opinions! Doesn't change a thing. Venus Williams is the #1 tennis player in the world! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

:kiss: to Nasty and Dom!

CONGRATULATIONS VENUS!!!!!!!!!!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Cybelle Darkholme
Feb 20th, 2002, 06:10 PM
somehow I dont believe you. Maybe you should reread my post. Did I not define feminism for you? Did I not state that equal treatment and opportunity were the issues? Do you have a reading comprehension problem? There are remedies for that.

I'm not a sexist which you might think, just cause im a man and i think Venus play like a man you wanna make me look like a sexist

Um, I didn't bring up venus so I don't get you. You brought up power players. Is not capriati a power player? lets just substitute jennifer for every time you use venus, shall we? Its only fair since your original post was about power players.

so in your logic..

1) jennifer plays like a man
2)jennifer can't play equal to hingis
3)no matter if jennifer is the best or not she will have an advantage thanks to her serve.

you are transparent. All along everyone could see that in truth you are one of those dismissable williams haters. Its so pathetic its almost funny. So are you saying Lindsay doesnt have a strong serve? Too funny, as if venus was the only one on tour who can serve. fastest serve does not mean best.

From your post I dont think you really like Jennifer's game all that much. sure you might like her personality but as far as her game goes shes right in the same league as venus, lindsay, kim and serena. maybe you should just deal with the truth instead of slamming other players.

Oh and sorry for calling you a sexist, was that not poltically correct? maybe I should call you pro feminine challenged or anti-feminist? does that make you feel better?

At the very least you sound like a hilary hater. Hmm, she seems to be more capable than that actor turned governor turned president we had not so long ago. what were his big achievements again? oh yeah the deficit. not to mention arming osama and training his men. GREAT JOB there!

Finally why not stop bashing jen and the other power players and realize that its just the game they play. Years ago jen and monica were smacking the ball harder than anyone on the tour now the only difference is that they have company doing it.

jd4eva
Feb 20th, 2002, 07:10 PM
This is not a part of the topic but:

TSequoia01, Badminton is 5 times faster than tennis

griffin
Feb 20th, 2002, 07:12 PM
You know, I've never, ever thought Amelie looks like a man. But then I actually LIKE women.

Anyone who thinks Venus is nothing more than a hard serve hasn't been watching tennis.

Anyone who thinks Venus, or Lins, or Amelie, or...play "like men" simply because they're strong has some incredibly stupid ideas about what it means to be a woman (or a man, for that matter).

Anyone who thinks this person deserves the intelligent responses s/he/it has received is sadly mistaken

and methinks bright is right ;)

Sonja
Feb 20th, 2002, 07:21 PM
He's just jealous because they're more of a man than he'll ever be and more of a woman than he'll ever have.:rolleyes:

A perfectly good thread spoiled by nonsense *sigh*

griffin
Feb 20th, 2002, 07:30 PM
Ok, back to more serious foolishness:

Venus doesn't deserve to be #1 because when she won New Haven this summer, she didn't hit any of those little autographed tennis ball to ME.

Ryan
Feb 20th, 2002, 07:37 PM
I have to say I prefer tennis like the way Hingis and Henin play it, but I also love the diversity, and having players who have a power game increases the challenge and depth of the game itself.

Volcana
Feb 20th, 2002, 08:07 PM
She's beautiful, well-rounded, emotionally balanced, educated, well-spoken and the best tennis player in the world. That's enough. She doesn't NEED to be #1. Surely, say, Jana Kandarr could make better use of the ranking.

HAIL-VENUS
Feb 20th, 2002, 08:09 PM
Venus doesn't deserve to be #1 because she doesn't wiggle her butt enough during matches.:bounce:

Bright Red
Feb 20th, 2002, 08:12 PM
She doesn't deserve it because she won't return my phone calls.

brickhousesupporter
Feb 20th, 2002, 08:14 PM
You too bright red, i thought it was just me..

HAIL-VENUS
Feb 20th, 2002, 08:17 PM
Venus doesn't deserve to be #1 because, during tight matches, she never responds to me when I'm coaching her through my tv set! I think she's afraid she'll get a warning.:wavey:

SM
Feb 20th, 2002, 09:33 PM
dawn dont call hima 'sick bitch' ,thats a compliment :P!

i think the term hes thinking of is radical feminism...but i havent seen that in here...he did imply that its wrong for women players to play "like men" and since when do they all have to be counter punchers? If they have a physical advantage over someone or spend extra time in the gym then why shouldn't they use that to their advantage? just because theyre female?

i guess u also wish they still wore the ankle length dresses too?..:rolleyes:

GoDominiqu
Feb 20th, 2002, 09:36 PM
So, to summarize the (title-related) posts:

The only reason would be that Venus has not the best Grand Slam results, particularly because of her French Open loss.
That's much less than the things which have been thrown towards Martina and Lindsay. So they didn't deserve the no. 1 ?
No. I think the reason for that was that many people felt Venus was better than them. Still, Martina and Lindsay deserved it, because Venus just didn't play enough. We have always said she just needs 2 or 3 more tournaments and now she has played them. She has had a bit 'luck' with Lindsay's injury, but that's part of the game.

The other thing is: now that Venus has reached the (long-awaited) no. 1, she will only lose it when she will NOT defend her many titles. At that moment, the player who manages to take away these titles from her, will be the next no. 1 widely accepted as legitimate.

And now that Venus seems to take tennis as a full-time-job, we can have a great battle this year between Venus, Martina and Jennifer (maybe Lindsay a little later, maybe also Monica, maybe Kim). Good prospects ! :)

GoDominiqu
Feb 20th, 2002, 09:38 PM
And BTW, who's responsible for the bad rating ??? :sad: ;)

moon
Feb 20th, 2002, 10:09 PM
GoDominique--In answer to your question--it's become a trend on this board (and quite juvenile I might add), to rate the Williams threads with a low score, esp. the positive ones.

No doubt that whoever did it, can't sleep at night knowing that Venus will be the next #1.

:kiss: to you, whoever you are!

RockSteady
Feb 20th, 2002, 10:21 PM
Venus will never be attacked for being #1 like HINGIS was, because she's an American. Let me bow at the sight of her, she does no wrong.

And Venus deserves to be #1, and although I have opinions on why she is #1, I will refrain.

But I think it will be a brief stay at the top spot, to be honest. Martina is on the rise... :p

Oh, and the comments about her game were right, but that doesn't affect her ranking. Personally, I think Capriati, the Williams', Mauresmo, Clijsters, and Davenport all play like men and I cringe at the thought of watching them play eachother. They don't have an abundance of natural talent, just an abundance of muscles, so they serve their way to the top. Yawn, that's exactly why I dislike the men's game. Alas, her style of play doesn't have anything to do with how much she deserves to be at the top. Her game may be ugly, but in the past 12 months, her results have been the best.

Ryan
Feb 20th, 2002, 10:25 PM
Hingis is on the rise and will soon take back her rightufl #1 spot:)

Pureracket
Feb 20th, 2002, 11:01 PM
I am an all out Williams fan, and I will be so happy for Venus on the 25th of Feb., but I must admit that I REALLY enjoyed tennis more when Hingis was in top form and beating everybody but a few of the top players.

There was nothing like her swagger and her flippant remarks to the press. I would love to have the old Hingis back.

Celeste
Feb 20th, 2002, 11:21 PM
I don't care for Venus much, but these silly debates won't dog her. Sure, she doesn't have the best Slam record over the past 52 weeks, but it's second, and when you hold two, that's not a good criticism. She can correct this at the very next Slam. Being a first round Slam casualty isn't that big a deal, Lindsay didn't even play one, and Martina's been there, done that twice. The "older" players, they frequently held No. 1 even missing one slam entirely (Steffi, Monica, Chris, Martina Senior). Venus has won a Tier I, and a slew of Tier II's. And she's become No. 1 with less than the number of tournaments counted, so that makes it even stronger. No, for the first time in a couple of years, I DO think we have an undeniable No. 1!

Sam L
Feb 21st, 2002, 12:22 AM
Venus has won 9 titles (could be 10) in the last 52 week period, which includes 2 slams! Nobody comes close, so I guess she will become the undisputed #1. And of course there's no reason why she doesn't deserve to #1.

Just like there's no reason why the #1's of the past don't deserve to be #1. I was one of those people who always defended whoever was #1 at that period, because you play enough and play well enough to get there. It doesn't matter if you haven't beaten everyone in the top ten, it doesn't matter if you don't have a slam. People who say that don't really understand the ranking system. N.B: the #1 ranking does NOT mean you will beat everyone or win everything all the time!

The only #1 I had a problem with was Steffi Graf in 1993 cause I (and everybody else) knew that somebody else is #1! :rolleyes:

harloo
Feb 21st, 2002, 12:23 AM
Venus is the true #1, and it's so predictable that a thread like this would be created. Venus has beaten the former #1 player 3 times in a row, she has consistently beaten all of the top 10 players. So basically their is nothing to prove to anyone.

As far as the muscle issue, I mean who cares? Really. If you don't like all the muscles in the women's game then their is no need for you to watch those particular players. You can just watch all the other's since their games are so unappealing to you.

As far as Martina,I just don't feel that she is back to her old self again. She was playing well at the AO, but mentally she wen't out to lunch. The final at AO really showed that she is lacking mental strenghth overall. She could of easily won that match, and I have never seen her do that in any of her matches. It's just something that shocked me. Back in the day she was as solid as a rock, now I just don't know what's up with her. And her losing the #1 spot is probably the best for her, because she needs to get her confidence back. She is not my fave, but I even felt sorry for her.

Jovon
Feb 21st, 2002, 12:54 AM
Venus doesn't deserve to be number #1 because she has a sister on the tour, who helps her out by beating her competitors! ;) :p ;) It's all a conspiracy, concocted by the ONE and ONLY Richard Williams!:eek: :eek: :eek: ;)

Bright Red
Feb 21st, 2002, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by brickhousesupporter
You too bright red, i thought it was just me..

LOL@BHS

No, it's not just you. Maybe we should try emailing her.

Cybelle Darkholme
Feb 21st, 2002, 02:44 AM
For all you people who want finesse and beauty in the game go watch a freaking ballet or something. This is a sport and the point is to win not be "graceful". if you want grace go watch the ice capades or figure skating. sheesh tennis is tennis no matter how you play it. everyone one of the players uses some kind of power some have more than others so what! if the others want power they can go to the gym and excercise, its not all that hard to do.

once again if youre looking for beauty and poise go watch a beauty pageant or a runway model show because its obvious that you dont want to watch tennis.

Williams Rulez
Feb 21st, 2002, 01:28 PM
The fact is that Venus is a very legitimate number 1 so :D (smile)

And Martina may be on the rise, but she has little chance of overtaking Venus till after Wimbledon. :p

Bright Red
Feb 21st, 2002, 03:15 PM
quote from Iain Carter of the BBC
Venus Williams has lost just one match this year...
...[and]doesn't have to do much more to prove herself as the best in the world...

...it would be easy to dismiss this as a statistical quirk if it wasn't for the fact that when she's fit no one can match Williams...

...Williams will become the 10th world number one since the rankings were first introduced in 1975, and it would surely have happened a lot earlier had she adopted a fuller playing schedule...Williams is without doubt the best female player in the world...

Well, I decided to get serious with this thread and try to think of a real reason why Venus doesn't deserve to be #1. Guess what? I couldn't, because to me the #1 player should be the best in the world. Venus is the best, so she deserves to be #1. It all makes sense now.

It's so nice when the media shares your opinion. That way, you have the luxury of bringing in non-anonymous opinions of professionals whose reputations are on the line.

LucasArg
Feb 21st, 2002, 04:55 PM
Well said, Bright red:wavey:

Dawn Marie
Feb 21st, 2002, 05:39 PM
Venus doesn't deserve to be #1 because she doesn't give a damn what we post about her #1 ranking on the board. Only those players who actually care what many of us think deserve to be #1:)

c2
Feb 21st, 2002, 07:40 PM
VENUS doesn't deserve to be #1 because her trophy shelf is so full, there's no room for anything more :) :) :D :D

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

ROCK ON VENUS !

Dawn Marie
Feb 21st, 2002, 10:58 PM
Venus doesn't deserve to be #1 because she doesn't throw her raquets and curse out umpires. :eek: :kiss:

silvercharm
Feb 22nd, 2002, 06:07 AM
...b/c Marti still is the real #1:D

chibuku
Feb 22nd, 2002, 04:38 PM
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Well all I can say to you is that you cannot accept the fact that she is the best. be a real fan!!!!!!!!! I support others but if they lose to Venus I accept it. Get a grip on your life!