PDA

View Full Version : Active Players having Olympic Medal(s)

Happy Guy
Feb 20th, 2002, 10:43 AM
I was wondering that the Top 5 Americans in the Top 10 all have at least an Olympic Medal!;)

Jennifer Capriati 1Gold (92 Barcelona Singles)
Lindsay Davenport 1 Gold (96 Atlanta Singles)
Venus Williams 1.5 Gold (00 Sydney Singles and Doubles)
Monica Seles 1 Bronze (00 Sydney Singles)
Serena Williams 0.5 Gold (00 Sydney Doubles)

Others:
Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario 1.5 Silver 1 Bronze (92 Barcelona Singles Bronze and Doubles Silver; 96 Atlanta Singles Silver)
Conchita Martinez 0.5 Silver (92 Barcelona Doubles)
Elena Dementieva 1 Silver (00 Sydney Singles)

I can't remember others...

Gallofa
Feb 20th, 2002, 10:58 AM
Actually, Arantxa has 4 olympic medals:
1 Silver singles 96
1 Bronze singles 92
1 Silver doubles 92
1 Bronze doubles 96

And Conchita 2:
1 Silver doubles 92
1 Bronze doubles 96

Jakeev
Feb 28th, 2002, 03:41 AM
Happy guy were is your math from? Venus 1.5 gold? Serena 0.5 gold?

Dawn Marie
Feb 28th, 2002, 03:44 AM
Venus won Gold in singles and doubles that is sweet. Hey has any other wta player ever done that?

GOVENUS:)

Jakeev
Feb 28th, 2002, 03:57 AM
I think in the past dawn marie before tennis stopped becoming a an olympic sport. Charlotte Cooper won singles and doubles gold in 1900 Paris.

The problem in those days women's doubles wasn't always played each olympic year.

moon
Feb 28th, 2002, 04:04 AM
Venus was the first American to do it since Helen Wills in 1924. But for a long time they didn't even play tennis in the Olympics. I don't know when they quit doing it, but they started it back up in 1988.

Dawn Marie
Feb 28th, 2002, 04:05 AM
Well hotdamn!!:D

venusrocks
Feb 28th, 2002, 04:10 AM
where tha hell are u getting these decimals frum????

it's venus 2 golds: singles & doubles (sydney 2000)
serena 1 gold: doubles (sydney 2000)

Come-on-kim
Feb 28th, 2002, 04:50 AM
Els Callens have a bronze medal in doubles with retired Dominique Monami-Van Roost at the 2000 Olympics Games of Sydney

Crazy Canuck
Feb 28th, 2002, 04:58 AM
As much as I hate pointing out the obvious -

He clearly assigned 0.5 for the doubles medals, since they are a shared achievement, and 1.0 for the singles, since thy are individual.

Wether or not you agree wit the method- his logic makes sense.

AjdeNate!
Feb 28th, 2002, 05:02 AM
lol @ Becca - the obvious sometimes has to be rolled up like a newspaper and used as a blunt instrument.

Dawn Marie
Feb 28th, 2002, 05:12 AM
I know what Jakeev was trying to say.. but I think it was a bit silly. Because your dealing with a medal not a mathamatical digit. This medal is an invidual piece of gold that usually goes around the neck. So were talking 3 medals in all. Venus with two and Serena with one. One does not weld or melt the Gold Medal down and split it up between the two ,who won the event. I mean Vee is not wearing a whole medal around the neck and one sliced in half aswell. So no in my opinion the logic is not founded.. only in digits... not in Olympic Gold Medals.

I mean the Olympic Doubles Champions do not hold a O.5 in a GOLD medal.:) The Canadians won a whole medal in skating pairs.. just like Venus and Serena won a whole medal in doubles.

He he ... you know I must defend Venus at all cost .. gold medal count and all.:) She has 2 whole medals and Serena has one gold.:)
When one wins a GOLD in a doubles competition each competitor gets one of each.. which is a GOLD medal.:) I mean they both won a gold in a doubles competition.

Crazy Canuck
Feb 28th, 2002, 05:15 AM
Dawn - I wasn't entirely sure if people were complaining they didn't understand where the decimals came from, or if they just didn't agree it should be done.

btw - where are the Conchita and ASV supports arguing against their decimals?

Crazy Canuck
Feb 28th, 2002, 05:17 AM
"I mean the Olympic Doubles Champions do not hold a O.5 in a GOLD medal. The Canadians won a whole medal in skating pairs.. just like Venus and Serena won a whole medal in doubles. "

Hey Dawn - you didn't even have to use Jamie and David as an example. One need to loo no further than the mens doubles champs off the 2000 Olympics for a nice Canadian comparison :)

Mattographer
Feb 28th, 2002, 05:22 AM
Rachel McQuillan won the Bronze Medal in Doubles with Nicole Provis [Bradkte] at Barcelona 1992! :kiss:

I think Rachel came first won medal in the Olympics... anyone know any Australian players won medal before her?

martinafan
Feb 28th, 2002, 05:22 AM
I may be completely wrong here, but didn't rachel mcquillan win a bronze in doubles (with Bradtke) at the 1988 olympics????

Dawn Marie
Feb 28th, 2002, 05:23 AM
I think people just wanted to see it written where Venus got her true props. Nothing less then a 1.0 for her at Syndey.:) Or excuse me 2.0 for 2 medals.:) To see .05 written means that maybe Vee didn't really get two medals.. or somehow less deserving to get 2 whole medals. :)

martinafan
Feb 28th, 2002, 05:24 AM
LOL matthew - we posted that at the same time! :) :) hehe

and oh well, it was 92 not 88....lol

Crazy Canuck
Feb 28th, 2002, 05:27 AM
Dawn - if its a slight to Venus, then its a slight to Conchita and ASV - but for some odd reason, no one seems to care about that.

I'm quite sure that most thinking individuals can look at that and appreciate that she won singles and doubles.

Once again - his logic makes sense, at least when comparing singles to doubles.

Yes she has 2 medals and not 1 and a half - his numbers are just a respresentation of wether they won it with one or two people.

No offense, but I can't even believe that is worth getting bothered over :confused:

Dawn Marie
Feb 28th, 2002, 05:30 AM
Actually Becca by Jakeev's logic Jamie and David would be splitting the GOLD medal 4 ways.. lmao

Let's see that would make Jamie and David own .25 in GOLD lmao do you still like the logic? lol:)

Crazy Canuck
Feb 28th, 2002, 05:34 AM
If u would like to say that Jamie and David won 0.25 GOld each, and the Russian pair won 0.25 each, then your welcome to do so, under the same system.

Furthermore, your welcomd to tell me that Lareau and Nestor each have 0.5 GOld, since they split it two ways.

YOu can also tell me that the Canadian speed skating mens relay teams in short track, won 0.25 Gold each as they split it each.

Or that the hockey team won 1/22 GOlds each.

Cause I understand its a number system, and don't assume anyone is being insulted by it.

I also understand that if someone writes that a player has 0.5 gold, that they don't literally have half a medal hanging on their wall - I'm not an idiot.

I'm a computer and math student - I adore logic :p

Dawn Marie
Feb 28th, 2002, 05:36 AM
Becca I am not getting bothered at all.. infact I am enjoying this topic. I understand completely where Jakeev was coming from and I don't think at all that he was trying to slight Venus. I just wanted to add why I think Venus was 2.0 in GOLD... or 2 posesses 2 Whole Gold medals.:)

Crazy Canuck
Feb 28th, 2002, 05:36 AM
Just a note - Its not Jakeev, it was Happy Guy who started the thread.

Dawn Marie
Feb 28th, 2002, 05:50 AM
Oh yeah Happy Guy.. :)

Anyhow by Happyguy's logic Venus has more gold medals then Jamie and David put together. Serena too for that matter.. lol.

I understand the logic. (The Olympic commitee gives EACH person a Medal in their doubles or combined event. So logically if the Canadian Hockey Team won the Gold medal then each one gets their own Gold to hang around their necks. Each player's gold that is around the neck represents a Gold for the country. which means that Canada has a GOLD.)

But my logic is like this: Venus won a Gold medal in singles and a Gold in doubles so she has in fact in her posession 2 gold medals. Serena won a gold in doubles and has one of her own. They won 2 for their country but posess 3 together. So Venus has 2 Gold Medals. The books will always say that Vee won 2 not 1.50:)

can't help it .. I am in the mood to write tonight.:);)

Vanity
Feb 28th, 2002, 05:56 AM
i think you need to get over it, dawn of many nicks! :kiss:

Crazy Canuck
Feb 28th, 2002, 06:11 AM
Dawn - if its such a terrible injustice why dont you care about the other players who won doubles medals but only "get half a point" for it? SHouldn't we be consistent here?

Dawn Marie
Feb 28th, 2002, 06:21 AM
Hiya Becca nice to see your back:wavey:

Uh actually I don't think anything is a "terrible injustice" in this thread nothing at all. Why asume that? I already ststed that I feel like writing tonight. Maybe last night I would have just ignored Happyguy's .05 thingy. But tonight i just feel like stressing my opinion. I said already that I just want to give my opinion on what Happy guy wrote. Actually I am consistant by thinking that whoever wins a Gold in a sport like skating doubles pairs or hockey still hold's a gold of their own. I understand Happyguys logic like I stated before just don't prefer to look at things that way.:)

Ok I am all done expressing my opinon in this thread now.. Becca.:) Let's go pop on in Non tennis? want too?:)

Jakeev
Feb 28th, 2002, 06:28 AM
First of all the logic is wrong, when the sisters one the medal, I remember seeing two different medal on their necks. Therefore, Venus has two gold medals and Serena one.

Moon is right Venus and Helen are the only two American women to win gold medal in singles and doubles in Olympic history, while Charlotte Cooper from England did it in 1900.

Edith Hannam of England also did the same thing in 1912, except it was in singles and mixed doubles.

Not sure why women's doubles was not played in certain olympic years before 1924.

Does anybody know this?

Happy Guy
Feb 28th, 2002, 06:43 AM
Hi. all:wavey: I'm really shocked and impressed that my topic has suddenly attracted 26 replies after I posted it 8 days ago!:rolleyes:

Actually I was not going to count out somebody by saying that somebody won 0.5 medal or so, I just want to do some statistics using the standard of the Olympics in a MATHEMATICS VIEW, but not the quantity on the neck.;)

For the case of the Figure Skating this year, as the Russian Team and the Canadian Team are considered as 2 SEPARATE TEAM OF ENTRANTS, then their countries can count that they each wins 1 GOLD. The event has actually presented 2 GOLDS. Same case as gymnastics that when 3 gymnasts have the top score then the event presents 3 GOLDS.

But the case in tennis doubles is entirely different. Serena and Venus or Conchita and Arantxa etc. entered the event as 1 SINGLE TEAM OF ENTRANTS, then no matter how many golds are on their neck (in some of you's word;) ) their country can only count it as 1 GOLD. The whole event presented ONLY 1 GOLD. The same apply to Volleyball. Can you say that the Cubans won 12 GOLDS for their country since they captured the championship?;)

I was not intended to cause any controversy or trouble but maybe some of you have misunderstood my original meaning.:p

Dawn Marie
Feb 28th, 2002, 06:52 AM
HappyGuy your topic clearly states "ACTIVE (PLAYERS)HAVING OLYMPIC MEDALS. So logically the country that is being represented here does not figure in the equation.

The only "active player" at that time.. who won 2 Golds in tennis was Venus Williams. So it is a logical fact that Venus Williams is the player (having) the medals around her neck. I got pic to prove it.:)

Happy Guy
Feb 28th, 2002, 06:56 AM
Yes, Dawn Marie, you can interpret that in your sense, but that's not my intention.:)

Happy Guy
Feb 28th, 2002, 06:56 AM
I have to study again, and maybe I'll not be here for some time, chat with all of you later!:wavey:

Dawn Marie
Feb 28th, 2002, 07:06 AM
Not my senses just LOGIC.:) America, Canada, Germany,England are not ("active players having gold medals"). They are countries and not players.:)

Show me a pic with "America" holding/having a Gold medal around it's neck?:):)

Frau Antje
Feb 28th, 2002, 07:16 PM
:D :D :D :D
look at my avatar

Jakeev
Mar 1st, 2002, 02:02 AM
Want to ask again, does anyone know why prior to 1924 women's doubles was not played certain Olympic years?

Messenger
Mar 2nd, 2002, 10:08 AM
I think that every active Olympic medallist has already been named except Kristie Boogert and Miriam Oremans.

(Sorry, my mistake. Go look at Frau Antje's avatar. :))