PDA

View Full Version : Is this a record? Saving 9 set points?

AUSBOY
Feb 20th, 2002, 12:58 AM
today in Dubai Anna Kournikova saved 9 set points in the first set against Selima Sfar before Selima gained the first set on her 10th Set Point!

We all know venus saved 8 match points last year and ending up winning the Ericsson Open over Capriati but I wanna know if any other player has saved 9 or more set points in a particular set, or more than 8 match points in a match?

I certainly can't think of any examples!

Just shows how mentally tough Anna Kournikova is!

Eza
Feb 20th, 2002, 01:12 AM
When Monica beat Alexandra this year in tokyo, she saved a lot of set points. I don't know the exact number but I think it was more than 9:eek: .Maybe someone can confirm this?:confused: :wavey:

henryj2001
Feb 20th, 2002, 01:14 AM
I think Monica saved 11 set points against Stevenson in Tokyo!!!!!!!!

Mateo Mathieu
Feb 20th, 2002, 01:18 AM
Monica saved Alex's 11 set points at Tokyo PPO!

Blessings And Aloha
Feb 20th, 2002, 01:50 AM
Yes Monica saved 11 set points, but that was including both sets.

AUSBOY
Feb 20th, 2002, 01:55 AM
Yeah that was 11 points over 2 sets, I'm talking about in just one set!!

I don't know of anyone who saved more than 9! I think Anna must be close to having the record, does anyone know other players who equal her feat or surpass it?

Linton
Feb 20th, 2002, 06:14 AM
If I can Remember i vageuly saw a match of Naritolava And Bettie Stove i think there were 15 points.?

ajayares
Feb 20th, 2002, 07:35 AM
Monica saved 11 break Pts (didn't lose her serve in the whole match) not set or match pts (but some where set pts however)..

As for if anyone else has saved as many/more before.. I have know doubt it would have been done in the past by someone..

Crazy Canuck
Feb 20th, 2002, 08:36 AM
Guess your talking soley womens tennis huh?

Well if it helps, in mens. Tommy Haas somehow blew 9 match points against Arazi. He was playing in Germany and got boo-ed off the court following the loss.

As if losing wasn't bad enough they thought they'd rub salt in the wounds. Crowds can be mean :( No matter where they are.

babsi
Feb 20th, 2002, 08:43 AM
This is not what the topic is asking but nevermind I think it is pretty close;)

'That game' as 5-5 in the Wimbledon 95 between Steffi and Arantxa had many break points which really were match points as that game was so emotional and so long and I really believe that if Arantxa had won that game the match was hers, but Steffi won in the end;)

Monica_Rules
Feb 20th, 2002, 10:40 AM
9 could be a record but she lost the 10th so....

11 from moni and she ended up winning both setes so...........

Williams Rulez
Feb 20th, 2002, 12:09 PM
If you let matches I play count... then I easily top this record ;)

I've saved 12 match points in a match and won it :D

GoDominiqu
Feb 20th, 2002, 12:44 PM
Chanda Rubin won against Jana Novotna at FO 1995 after saving 9 match-points in the third set.
Kuerten won the 4th set aginst Norman at FO 2000 after wasting 9 or 10 match-points.

Mateo Mathieu
Feb 20th, 2002, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by GoDominique
Kuerten won the 4th set aginst Norman at FO 2000 after wasting 9 or 10 match-points.
Gosh! I remember the match! Actually, Magnus won the third set after wasted many set points too! In the fourth set, another epic game. Magnus saved Gustavo's match points is 11 in the Fourth Set!! :eek: :o

Mateo Mathieu
Feb 20th, 2002, 12:51 PM
I can't remember how many saved Magnus's set points in the third set but I remember there more than 5 set points.